Recommending Story-first games

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

Sidartha_6

Apr 6, 2021
Short Sad Stories chapter 7 is out on and chapter 6 should be out later today on :)
Time to give that dev some more patreons then. :)
I love the atmosphere and dialogues in this game. In addition, the developer knowledge of how people normally react psychologically in similar situations.

Reactions: Éama and jufot

jufot

May 15, 2021
Be a little... unpredictable! Right now you are like a murder mystery with two characters, and the dead guy didn't do it!
Thoughts on Pecker PI: The Curse of the Pearl Necklace? I'm really enjoying it so far.

MC is a pervy veteran turned private investigator, currently on his first job. He is eager, but not very good, which he decides to resolve by... reading Sherlock Holmes. He smokes and drinks a lot. Fairly standard noir comedy protagonist, really. His best friend Mike is a draft-dodging lawyer with a hot sister, who is also a lawyer. MC has minor PTSD and hallucinates his former sergeant, much to his chagrin. Very similar to The Unbroken's Davis.

It's a fairly horny game with ogling camera angles, sultry looks and such, but that fits well with the mood. The humour is more hits than misses, and it has a few gems like:
Ringo: Fuck! Ok, you know, checking out the ladies. 'Gus' wasn’t too interested, but there was a lot of beauties present. Shit was going to be like shooting fish in a barrel.
Ringo: Me and Gus dove right into it.
Detective Turis: "Gus and I"
Ringo: No, I’m pretty sure it was me and Gus, I was there, remember?
What's notable is that all the major characters are just so much fun. MC, Mike, various LIs, and a few suspects are all witty, intelligent and charming. The actual investigation is interesting on its own, but it's used more as a backdrop for all the lively character interaction.

Give it a shot, maybe? :)

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
This was a great episode with two important quests, and what I assume was a filler.

First, Hanna von Rauss. She's the brains to Moghila's brawn. I loved her scene. She speaks eloquently about the nature of power, those who seek it, and those who have it. Her monologue is dispassionate, and yet makes so much sense. How can a creature, a beast really, that is both reliant on and must hide from humans can acquire power, keep it, and stay relevant over centuries? The opportunities that question presents, especially pre-Y2K, makes an alliance with her a very interesting proposition.

On the other hand, Carver's proposal is comparatively pedestrian. It seems rooted in short-term thinking. I was... unimpressed. His backstory does a lot to humanize him and makes his loyalty to the Duke understandable, but he doesn't seem interested in the bigger picture. I assume we'll get to choose whom to side with in a future update and, barring new information to the contrary, I think I'll go with the von Rauss.

The wildcard here is Emilia. Her childhood story explains her violent nature and distaste of authority. With that sort of background, I don't see her willingly being subordinate to anyone, even to her creator. So her real intentions and allegiances are unclear as yet. The obvious answer is regicide, but perhaps it's something more clever.

I'm excited to see where we go from here, especially with that cliffhanger :)
Just caught up on The Bite: The Revenant and I must say that I get more and more impressed by the game with every update. Characters are generally great. Choices are relevant as is the consequences. Not to mention that the overall plot and conflicts are interesting.

I agree with you on Hanna von Rauss. After that I was convinced I'll go with her. But then I remember the club incident. What was her objective there really? And though I think what she said was true, I don't think her plan is so simple to implement in pratice.

As for Carver, he seems like he is content with what he has achieved and mostly has lost his drive.
I hope Emilia's arc won't be that of the "big baddie who just needs a hug" trope because I really like her as a proper villain. I'd rather just have her have an honest conversation with MC and acknowledge that, while she was a nice little girl back then, circumstances have forced her to improvise, adapt, and overcome, and that she quite likes who she is now, with no intentions of changing.
I don't think there will be a "big baddie who just needs a hug". Her being unhinged I think is an act to a large degree. Not completely, because she does seem to enjoy it as well. But her act is there so that others will underestimate her while she is biding her time to do whatever it is she wants to accomplish.

And then we have Tea. Such a great little episode.

jufot

May 15, 2021
But then I remember the club incident. What was her objective there really?
That's a good point, I didn't think about that. Hmm :unsure:
Her being unhinged I think is an act to a large degree. Not completely, because she does seem to enjoy it as well. But her act is there so that others will underestimate her while she is biding her time to do whatever it is she wants to accomplish.
Yeah, she has her own plans and I fully expect her to cross the Duke (and whoever else standing in her path) at some point.

Reactions: bacienvu88

Éama

Apr 17, 2022
Considering that "losing humanity" is a central theme in vampire lore, I don't think so either. It's practically a fail-safe against huggy baddie tropes.

Reactions: jufot

MrPocketRocket

Pecker PI
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2023
Now Summer's Gone reminds me "Lost" TV show after the first season. There are so many characters, subplots, mysteries that I can't wait for the next season. Will Ocean be able to handle his own creation, that's the question.
"Lost" did one thing very well: unanswered mysteries. A lot of the writing is good in Summer's Gone, (but this last update sort of lost me (no pun intended)) I feel like it's a little like Seinfeld without the jokes. Jerry dates all the hot chicks in New York but never quite makes it work. The first time I came across Summer's Gone, I thought it was one of the best AVN around, now I'm not entirely sure what it is.

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
"Lost" did one thing very well: unanswered mysteries. A lot of the writing is good in Summer's Gone, (but this last update sort of lost me (no pun intended)) I feel like it's a little like Seinfeld without the jokes. Jerry dates all the hot chicks in New York but never quite makes it work. The first time I came across Summer's Gone, I thought it was one of the best AVN around, now I'm not entirely sure what it is.
Yeah, that's why I said it reminds me of how I felt after the first season of "Lost", I was so excited about what the authors had in store for us and I let my hopes get too high. Who would have guessed that it would turn into... that. :HideThePain:
But I guess I understand what you're talking about, and since I'm a very modest guy, I'll just quote myself from another thread. :KEK:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Bombmaster

May 8, 2022
Yeah, that's why I said it reminds me of how I felt after the first season of "Lost", I was so excited about what the authors had in store for us and I let my hopes get too high. Who would have guessed that it would turn into... that. :HideThePain:
But I guess I understand what you're talking about, and since I'm a very modest guy, I'll just quote myself from another thread. :KEK:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
hijacking your breath, about your rant.
The Nami moment was lit dont ya think, the only problem is after giving her the ok the story moved foward without changes.
Kiss me fool or Dont and never look me again cuz im going to fuck Jeff. (as some people are coping)

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
hijacking your breath, about your rant.
The Nami moment was lit dont ya think, the only problem is after giving her the ok the story moved foward without changes.
Kiss me fool or Dont and never look me again cuz im going to fuck Jeff. (as some people are coping)
Haha man, I myself am confident that Ocean can and will make the "Lost" of my dreams come true, and I like the current pace of the story. What appears to be a rant in my self-quote is actually an attempt to argue with the people on the other thread that not everyone currently giving the game a one or two star rating is a cunt :KEK:
These are Harolds who are tired of hiding their pain. :HideThePain: :HideThePain: :HideThePain:

MrPocketRocket

Pecker PI
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2023
Don't get me wrong, I hope that the question mark get straightened out. And no matter what happens, Summer's Gone and other quality AVN certainly inspire higher overall quality from new projects...like one of your top five that I quite enjoy: Leaving DNA.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Thoughts on Pecker PI: The Curse of the Pearl Necklace? I'm really enjoying it so far.

MC is a pervy veteran turned private investigator, currently on his first job. He is eager, but not very good, which he decides to resolve by... reading Sherlock Holmes. He smokes and drinks a lot. Fairly standard noir comedy protagonist, really. His best friend Mike is a draft-dodging lawyer with a hot sister, who is also a lawyer. MC has minor PTSD and hallucinates his former sergeant, much to his chagrin. Very similar to The Unbroken's Davis.

It's a fairly horny game with ogling camera angles, sultry looks and such, but that fits well with the mood. The humour is more hits than misses, and it has a few gems like:

What's notable is that all the major characters are just so much fun. MC, Mike, various LIs, and a few suspects are all witty, intelligent and charming. The actual investigation is interesting on its own, but it's used more as a backdrop for all the lively character interaction.

Give it a shot, maybe? :)
Thanks for the recommendation! It really is great!

My favorite quote is:
MC: You got me! Mr. Berg was generous enough to invite me to the party of the year. But he is still such an incredible douchebag that decided to steal his soon to be ex wife’s priceless necklace. It was the perfect crime until I ran into the smartest detective since Sherlock Holmes.
Detective Sandra: And don’t forget beautiful.
MC: And the most beautiful detective since Sherlock Holmes.
Detective Sandra: Exactly…Wait a minute. Are you implying that Sherlock Holmes was smarter AND better looking than me?
MC: Are YOU implying that you are smarter AND better looking than Sherlock Holmes?
Detective Sandra: He’s a fictional character.
And thanks MrPocketRocket for a great game!

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
The rating system is pretty meaningless anyways imo. The 5 star ratings are just as ridiculous as the 1 star ones. People, most of the time, don't go by objectivity, they go by emotion. Like, man, "Cindy" from "Harem house madness" is so hot + the lewd scenes are fucking dope dude, believe me dude... #Cindy4life. Well, that's an easy 5 fucking stars, ain't it?. Or the other way around, the game has outstanding renders, music, writing, story, animations, pacing, but there's a forced femdom scene... 1 star, no questions asked..

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
Advertising for games has been a hot mess for decades.
Mobile games, making a paralel here as most of the games here are supposed to be mobile,
have majorly disingenuous advertising most of the times.

Pitting the whole game on some minute small portion of it, the part that gets advertised,
which so many times turns out to be only fan service or trivia short segments,
will blow upin their faces the minute when players get into the game, as they will
quickly find out the sour truth that the meat of the game is not the advertised story,
it might not be the renders either, maybe not the angles shown in the previews,
so of course they get pissed and this is supposed to show in reviews and in the ratings.
The rating system is pretty meaningless anyways imo. The 5 star ratings are just as ridiculous as the 1 star ones. People, most of the time, don't go by objectivity, they go by emotion. Like, man, "Cindy" from "Harem house madness" is so hot + the lewd scenes are fucking dope dude, believe me dude... #Cindy4life. Well, that's an easy 5 fucking stars, ain't it?. Or the other way around, the game has outstanding renders, music, writing, story, animations, pacing, but there's a forced femdom scene... 1 star, no questions asked..
Many games make a mock of their plot and their game mechanics when they put in the overview or the tags,
so gamers who find most of those elements will rate it high, while gamers who will not,
believe me some games make it especially hard to find the selling points of the advertised games,
so gamers missing the whole mark will rate them poorly.

These are the same reactions that are going around over on Steam or on It ch io,
as most devs who lie or deceive or few words about their games will get lambasted.

Last edited:

Bombmaster

May 8, 2022
Haha man, I myself am confident that Ocean can and will make the "Lost" of my dreams come true, and I like the current pace of the story. What appears to be a rant in my self-quote is actually an attempt to argue with the people on the other thread that not everyone currently giving the game a one or two star rating is a cunt :KEK:
These are Harolds who are tired of hiding their pain. :HideThePain: :HideThePain: :HideThePain:
Lets be real, we got bamboozled into Oceanverse: Renders, Lights, Art Direction.
A true kino visual orgasm, under the hood is another thing,

I do play novels with passable renders that touch my kokoro in much deeper ways.
Cute pixels are hard to beat, is like a crazy hot girl ahem Bella cough.

Reactions: MrPocketRocket

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Don't get me wrong, I hope that the question mark get straightened out. And no matter what happens, Summer's Gone and other quality AVN certainly inspire higher overall quality from new projects...like one of your top five that I quite enjoy: Leaving DNA.
Yes, but unfortunately most of the new developers are inspired by visuals and focus on renders and lewd scenes, while plot and character development is usually a secondary concern. It is clear that a beautiful picture will immediately attract a lot of attention, but without a good plot it quickly becomes boring. And no amount of beautiful renders can save yet another story about tenant molesting his landlady while the landlord is gone as far as Summer. :HideThePain:
That's why games like "Leaving DNA" or "Pecker PI" are rare gems. It's great that you put so much effort into balancing all aspects of the game: graphics, story, dialogue, music and lewds. The result is more than decent, this is exactly what many of us want to see in new games. Thanks again, MrPocketRocket, for a damn good game and especially for the wonderful humor you infuse into your characters. (y)

MrPocketRocket

Pecker PI
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2023
Yes, but unfortunately most of the new developers are inspired by visuals and focus on renders and lewd scenes, while plot and character development is usually a secondary concern. It is clear that a beautiful picture will immediately attract a lot of attention, but without a good plot it quickly becomes boring. And no amount of beautiful renders can save yet another story about tenant molesting his landlady while the landlord is gone as far as Summer. :HideThePain:
We use almost the same example of what not to do. I like the: MC wakes up with amnesia, suddenly he is living in a house full of beautiful strangers...but they are really all his female relatives, he just doesn't remember. It's not even a fucking story. Good writing trumps everything.

And thank you kind the words!

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
On the topic of visuals: The last few months I got the feeling that a lot of people bought a new GPU and a fresh batch of current gen Daz assets. Differences in quality seem to be about staging, posing and writing now more than ever, because fidelity almost doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.
I don't expect the general audience to get sick of eye candy, but if the market gets saturated with high fidelity renders and devs want to set themselves apart from the bunch, then the regulars of this thread might be eating well in the future.

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes