Recommending Story-first games

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

MrPocketRocket

Pecker PI
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2023
Nevard Good start for a new dev and has me intrigued for more. Not sure why it hasn't more attention. A modern fantasy with interesting world building. I find the characters interesting as well.
I can tell you exactly why it hasn't gotten any attention. Most players don't bother with first few versions of a game, no matter what, and they look at the size of the file to gauge how much content there is...small file, don't bother. (Yes, it is, I'm afraid, my reality too:)

• Sad
Reactions: bacienvu88

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
I can tell you exactly why it hasn't gotten any attention. Most players don't bother with first few versions of a game, no matter what, and they look at the size of the file to gauge how much content there is...small file, don't bother. (Yes, it is, I'm afraid, my reality too:)
I can understand not wanting to get invested in games early because high abandon-rate. But file size? Big file size mostly means either lots of animations and cut scenes or the dev just don't know how to compress images while keeping quality.

Personally I quite like playing early versions. :)
Since I haven't been around and don't know what has been mentioned, I'll throw in a couple of my early likes.
New Antioch by Red Myst
How to Fix the Future by mr moonmi

You guys seem entirely on top of the stuff that is worth mentioning, but in case you haven't tried them.
New Antioch I have on my radar (although haven't played the latest update yet)
How to Fix the Future I have never been able to get into. The base premise is quite good. But I can't get over the start where they just treat him like shit when they are depending on him to save the world.

MrPocketRocket

Pecker PI
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2023
I can understand not wanting to get invested in games early because high abandon-rate. But file size? Big file size mostly means either lots of animations and cut scenes or the dev just don't know how to compress images while keeping quality.

Personally I quite like playing early versions. :)

New Antioch I have on my radar (although haven't played the latest update yet)
How to Fix the Future I have never been able to get into. The base premise is quite good. But I can't get over the start where they just treat him like shit when they are depending on him to save the world.
I don't disagree with any of that. I also think that a little appreciation early on can go a long way to eventually getting a finished product.

I think New Antioch is a ton of fun...which sort of is my basis for how I rate everything in life. You can't laugh? We will never be friends.

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
"Fun fact" about HTFTF, it's been a while, but I do remember someone in the HTFTF thread mentioning that the game is based off of some tv series. Unfortunately I can't recall the name of it, but I remember watching the first episode. And indeed, this game is based on that show. The "funny" thing was that the show was even more out there than the game. For example, at the very beginning after the "MC" won the video game he celebrated by jerking off (no joke). Not only that, when he's about to climax the 2 future people show up and he jizzes all over one of them :p. I only watched the first episode though....

• Wow

MrPocketRocket

Pecker PI
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2023
"Fun fact" about HTFTF, it's been a while, but I do remember someone in the HTFTF thread mentioning that the game is based off of some tv series. Unfortunately I can't recall the name of it, but I remember watching the first episode. And indeed, this game is based on that show. The "funny" thing was that the show was even more out there than the game. For example, at the very beginning after the "MC" won the video game he celebrated by jerking off (no joke). Not only that, when he's about to climax the 2 future people show up and he jizzes all over one of them :p. I only watched the first episode though....
Crap! I know exactly which show you are talking about! I have an acquaintance that worked on it. Future Man, right?

Reactions: realjitter

jufot

May 15, 2021
Did anyone play 2 Sides? I know it's unusual for me to recommend an incest game, but this one has a lot going for it in a way we don't really see in AVNs.

As the name implies, the game is from the POV of two protagonists and you play each chapter twice, once from each perspective. Early on they spend most of their time together, so the differences are minor, but in later chapters we get entire distinct storylines. It's an innovative mechanic used to great effect.

What's it about, then? Mike and Gwen are siblings with a four-year age gap. She is adopted. While studying at uni, they realize they have feelings for each other and passionate young love ensues. That's where things go off the usual AVN script.

As young, inexperienced lovers are wont to do, Mike proposes after only 4 months and she says yes. Fate has other plans, though, as they receive life altering news and the relationship implodes immediately.

After that, they spend more than a year apart, with no contact and completely separate social circles. They get into other, sexual relationships. Yes, even Gwen! How rare is that?

As you might expect, the game thread is full of incel types screeching about NTR, even though you can't have NTR with people who are not in a relationship. Luckily for me, the dev seems entirely unfazed by the peanut gallery, so I'm looking forward to chapter 4!

Does that sound interesting to anyone?

Last edited:

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Yes, but also no. What you're saying is definitely not wrong, but "marketing" (which was touched on in previous posts) plays a huge part in it.

Being able to !!ACCURATELY!! describe your game (So no lying to draw people in!), in a way that also makes it sound appealing, is difficult. It's even more difficult when you try to build slow-burn games, because you don't want to "give it away".

I know it's something I struggle with... (I've actually considered paying people just to come up with something for me!). I've seen some really great games get almost no attention - and a lot of it is how the game is presented - meanwhile I've seen steaming piles of trash get TONS, because they were good at making people go "Oh, ok I'll try that".

Some day I'll figure out the secret. I might even share it, so others don't share my struggle! But I've definitely seen a lot of new devs struggle with the same thing - they make something, it's not half bad, it just gets lost in the shuffle. It sucks, because every now and then you see promising games get abandoned for that reason.

MrPocketRocket

Pecker PI
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2023
Yes, but also no. What you're saying is definitely not wrong, but "marketing" (which was touched on in previous posts) plays a huge part in it.
Oh, this will be fun. I'm 100% right in my statement. But you are not wrong. There is definitely effort that needs to be put in for a v0.1 to get any traction. Most are second games of known devs. Much like any media, you need good word of mouth and I am certain that you can mold that to some degree...with the right backing. Get a couple of the reddit list makers to put you in their top tier, have drpinkcake promo you (that might be the biggest expense).
Just to be clear, I fully agree with you and am not trying to start something...my war, it seems is on other fronts:)

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Nevard Good start for a new dev and has me intrigued for more. Not sure why it hasn't more attention. A modern fantasy with interesting world building. I find the characters interesting as well.
I finished this one not even 5 minutes ago. Completely agree with you. Looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

camube

Jun 4, 2022
I'm like that, 100%.

Unless i have a shit ton of free time, at which point, then sure, i'll play version 0.2. But other than that, say from next year, where i don't see myself as having that much free time, I don't see myself playing 0.1 or 0.2 unless:

1) it's highly reviewed. Number of reviews doesn't matter as much as what the review says
or 2) highly weighted rating on f95 ranking (pretty rare for new renpy games)
or the easiest 3) wisdom of the crowd from patreon number
If I see the game has high patreon number then I do check it out. I probably would never check out desert stalker had i not see it has around 1000 patrons.

Since I use Latest Updates, 4) good title and then good banner is also needed.
Second most important is 5) a good, concise and brief overview. Explain the game clearly in less than several sentences.

Deluca Family is an example of brief overview that isn't good, cuz it doesn't illustrate that the game would have eccentric characters

Projekt Passion is an example of a good overview that isn't brief. It does illustrate that the game would probably be funny.

Seeking Closure is an example of an overview that is neither brief nor good. Despite the game's characters being pretty interesting.

As for why I don't play 0.1 or 0.2 unless i have shit ton of time it's because i don't have confidence the dev won't just drop and abandon the game. Since i play for the story, having a game "cancelled" suck. It becomes a waste of time in hindsight when that happen.

At least if i play 0.4 or 0.5, the game should have reached a point where even if it's still far from finished, it's satisfyingly digestible in isolation.

Reactions: MrPocketRocket

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
I feel similarly about HtFtF. The MC was straight-up kidnapped and yanked away from his old life. Saving the future is a noble goal, but it was a role that was very much imposed on the protagonist. He wasn't asked or convinced -- he was forced and basically enslaved. I've always felt he should hold some resentment towards the people responsible and approach the game with that mindset, but it doesn't seem to really be a supported or anticipated way to play. For instance, Cathy is very much presented as a main LI despite her direct role in the kidnapping. I've ended up playing a MC who feels pretty alienated from most of the cast because even Chloe and BJ don't seem to miss their old lives much.

It's also one of those games where sex scenes are very abrupt and often happen before any real connection has been established between the characters. It's not a harem game to my knowledge, but it doesn't feel much like romance most of the time either because the relationships are very thin so far.

Nonetheless, I'll stick with it. I'm a sucker for science fiction, and like you said the premise is good albeit not startlingly original. One thing I do appreciate about the game is the dev's ambition. He isn't afraid of weaving serious themes like war, violence against trans women, poverty, and tyranny into his work. The treatment of those topics can be a bit clumsy at times, but I still appreciate the effort to tell a story that isn't just about people who barely know each other having sex.

Did anyone play 2 Sides? I know it's unusual for me to recommend an incest game, but this one has a lot going for it in a way we don't really see in AVNs.

That one is a really hard sell for me. The primary enjoyment I get from playing incest games comes from desperately trying to keep family members from banging. Sometimes, against all odds, I manage to succeed though you never know when new, secret relatives will come out of the woodwork à la Chasing Sunsets. Knowing the game is kinetic and the incest predetermined just seems like it would sap all the joy out of the experience for me.

Do you really think there's a chance the brother and sister won't end up getting back together? On the surface, it sounds to me like a really standard romance story where the two people meant to be together are separated from each other by cruel circumstance and misunderstandings. They might temporarily find comfort with other people, but it's just not the same. Something is always going to be missing because they're not with the person they're really supposed to be with. How could they truly be happy being with someone they're not even related to, after all?

Is there a plausible reason for why the two got together in the first place? If them being (presumed) stepsiblings rather than biological siblings has anything to do with it, I'm already irked without even downloading the game. I'm so sick of family relationships in AVNs being reduced down to blood and genetics as if a shared past of growing up together and a prior platonic familial relationship mean absolutely nothing.

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
PLease be mindful nobody asked Tom Cruise what he felt when the alien time jumping goo spilled on him.
Also, most of the actual working hard people tom Cruise enslaves in Minority Report have literally never even considered any
of the so called violent crimes they are being yanked outta their lives outta, para military kill squad style.
Third but not least, Moon Knight antagonist literally yanks souls outta the bodies of people who have never sinned even.
I feel similarly about HtFtF. The MC was straight-up kidnapped and yanked away from his old life. Saving the future is a noble goal, but it was a role that was very much imposed on the protagonist. He wasn't asked or convinced -- he was forced and basically enslaved. I've always felt he should hold some resentment towards the people responsible and approach the game with that mindset, but it doesn't seem to really be a supported or anticipated way to play. For instance, Cathy is very much presented as a main LI despite her direct role in the kidnapping. I've ended up playing a MC who feels pretty alienated from most of the cast because even Chloe and BJ don't seem to miss their old lives much.
The part of that game that irks you is accepted and cellebrated in wildly sucessful blockbuster productions,
two of those are Tom Cruise -chosen one- male protagonist sole possible savior of the world is Tom Cruise action movies.

Sidartha_6

Apr 6, 2021

As the name implies, the game is from the POV of two protagonists and you play each chapter twice, once from each perspective. Early on they spend most of their time together, so the differences are minor, but in later chapters we get entire distinct storylines. It's an innovative mechanic used to great effect.

What's it about, then? Mike and Gwen are siblings with a four-year age gap. She is adopted. While studying at uni, they realize they have feelings for each other and passionate young love ensues. That's where things go off the usual AVN script.

As young, inexperienced lovers are wont to do, Mike proposes after only 4 months and she says yes. Fate has other plans, though, as they receive life altering news and the relationship implodes immediately.

After that, they spend more than a year apart, with no contact and completely separate social circles. They get into other, sexual relationships. Yes, even Gwen! How rare is that?

As you might expect, the game thread is full of incel types screeching about NTR, even though you can't have NTR with people who are not in a relationship. Luckily for me, the dev seems entirely unfazed by the peanut gallery, so I'm looking forward to chapter 4!

Wasn't the girl adopted from Southeast Asia or something like that when she was little or was there a blood connection between her and the son in the family?

jufot

May 15, 2021
Saving the future is a noble goal, but it was a role that was very much imposed on the protagonist. He wasn't asked or convinced -- he was forced and basically enslaved. I've always felt he should hold some resentment towards the people responsible and approach the game with that mindset, but it doesn't seem to really be a supported or anticipated way to play. For instance, Cathy is very much presented as a main LI despite her direct role in the kidnapping. I've ended up playing a MC who feels pretty alienated from most of the cast because even Chloe and BJ don't seem to miss their old lives much.
This is my primary complaint as well, so I play accordingly. My MC is never nice to Octavia and her zealots. That includes Liu, Cathy, and Olga. I am nice to BJ (who has a reason to be nice), Chloe (who only seems to have fun), Riley (who hates the whole thing) and Daisy (who has no involvement).

The primary enjoyment I get from playing incest games comes from desperately trying to keep family members from banging.
That's a worthy goal, though I reckon you're tilting at windmills. If it helps, I also don't want them to get back together (spoilers).

Do you really think there's a chance the brother and sister won't end up getting back together?
No. As I said, it's a kinetic novel.

They might temporarily find comfort with other people, but it's just not the same. Something is always going to be missing because they're not with the person they're really supposed to be with. How could they truly be happy being with someone they're not even related to, after all?
How indeed :LOL:

Is there a plausible reason for why the two got together in the first place? If them being (presumed) stepsiblings rather than biological siblings has anything to do with it, I'm already irked without even downloading the game. I'm so sick of family relationships in AVNs being reduced down to blood and genetics as if a shared past of growing up together and a prior platonic familial relationship mean absolutely nothing.
No, the reasons for the initial get together aren't anything special. You might call it trauma bonding, but even that would be a stretch. But if you accept the conceit, that they did get together for whatever reason, everything that follows - at least till now - is not something I've ever seen in an incest game.

Wasn't the girl adopted from Southeast Asia or something like that when she was little [...]
Something like that, yes. At least initially. We later learn that that was a lie.

Reactions: EndlessNights
5.00 star(s) 8 Votes