Recommending Story-first games

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
I completely forgot about Being a Dik! Tho until I stopped playing (due to my 2-3 releases custom) he had just a few scenes.
Well, there isn't a lot of content with him compared to other characters (although by reading his mom's diary, MC learns a lot about his dad and how they met.) But all the scenes of interaction between MC and his father are very sentimental and show how much MC cares about his father and how much he appreciates his care and help.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
You literally have just him at home in the first chapter ... then MC meets a literal horde of other dudes and dudettes he has to make a life for himself with them at the university.
I completely forgot about Being a Dik! Tho until I stopped playing (due to my 2-3 releases custom) he had just a few scenes.
Do you want another chapter at home pining over Josy, crying on dads shouder?

camube

Jun 4, 2022
On a completely different topic, I was reading some post in Reddit about VNs and was wondering about something that seems to be fairly common in VNs:

Are there any games (within this list) where the MC's father is:
- Alive
- Healthy
- Not evil/scumbag/douche
- Has a good relationship with MC (and maybe his other relatives)

Or even outside of this thread's list.

I was trying to remember at least 1 game where the father is alive, present, and being a positive influence in MC's life, but I can't recall any.

Edit: now that I think of it, I remember MC's dad was present (and being a good guy/monster) in Monsters College, but he is shown just in the first scenes.
yes, Our Red String for one

dreamchaser

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2020
Damn... you guys almost make me regret the fact that I have standards.

But, no.

View attachment 3689267

The underlined ones aren't complete deal breakers, but, truly non enjoyed by me.
The boxed ones are Instant Deal breakers to me.

The rest, could or could not live with.

I don't care how well done and relevant that type of content may be, I, as in me as an autonomous player, will stay away from.

Please read me right, I don't really care what anyone else enjoys, I can only make decisions for myself, and, that type of content, I don't want anything to do with it.

Peace :(
Ok, I'll answer you once, but I really don't intend to get into a longer discussion over tags. If you don't want to play the game, for whatever reasons, that's completely fine. I can totally see not wanting to commit that much time, not wanting to play an RPG with fights, not wanting to play a game with loads of reading and only a few scene images, not wanting to either have to think things through (puzzles, decisions) or needing a walkthrough.
I just think that deciding not to play the game based upon those tags is moronic.

I'll just comment on the tags you boxed, since they seem to trigger you most.
cheating: This one is straight up wrong. No LI cheats on the MC, at all. Where succubi have sex with others, that is never hidden from the MC.
swinging: As I said in an earlier reply, this is a sex-positive world being portrayed (actually being build by the MC and his allies), and some of the LIs are succubi, for which sex is food. Yes, they will have sex with other people where that makes sense. No, the MC has no problem with that at all. The game spends a lot of time explaining that world view succubi have, and it's a great strength of the MC that he is able to learn and internalize how they think (they have fascinating discussions about it, and there is a whole segment of the game where a theological congress argues about the place of succubi, sex and celibacy in the church!).
mind control: Yup, that is absolutely there. But the MC is not mind controlling any LIs. He spends quite a bit of effort making sure that he is not unduly influencing anybody he has positive relations which. Instead, there is an ally with mind control powers, and the group uses this as a tactical and strategical tool against enemies, as an alternative to killing (it's a limited ressource, and you make decisions at certain points whether to mind control or kill somebody). If you are willing to play games where enemies are killed, I don't see why you wouldn't play one where sometimes mind control is used as an alternative to that.
rape: There is precisely one place where you have the option of letting a rape proceed or stopping it. It happens against an enemy, and doing or not doing it will influence the relationships with your LIs. Stopping it means a tougher fight, so I found it an absolutely valid option (I decided to stop the rape). There is talk about other rapes, because there are wars being fought, in which sex is used as a weapon. None of those rapes are done by you or your allies. (There are questionable scenes in the prologue, but it is very quickly very obvious why that does not count.)
slave: At one point in the game, the MC becomes enslaved. It is an unusual situation, and does not stay that way. There is one enemy who is a slave, and instead of killing her, the MC takes over her slave contract. That is definitely a questionable moral choice, and there are multiple discussions about it with other characters. Yet I absolutely agree that the MC made the right call here - killing her would have been the only other choice. Apart from that, slavery exists in the world, and is a problem the characters grapple with, and try to combat or improve upon.

Overall I want to say that while the MC does make some hard choices which can technically fullfil some of these tags which trigger you, he always does it from the point of view of wanting to improve the world. There is no mindless evil conduct by the MC. Every questionable choice is reflected on after the fact, and has appropriate consequences (e.g. in relationships to allies). And none of those questionable choices are done as cheap thrills for the player. It's always the MC acting as he thinks best, and even he is doing it out of tactical or strategic consideration, not because he wants to get his rocks of.

Over and out. ;)

365 others

Aug 31, 2022
You literally have just him at home in the first chapter ... then MC meets a literal horde of other dudes and dudettes he has to make a life for himself with them at the university.

Do you want another chapter at home pining over Josy, crying on dads shouder?
Well... woudn't hurt to have another one. Maybe this time bringing Maya as well?

camube

Jun 4, 2022
Ok, I'll answer you once, but I really don't intend to get into a longer discussion over tags. If you don't want to play the game, for whatever reasons, that's completely fine. I can totally see not wanting to commit that much time
yeah i read that Sierra Lee is an inspiration to some people who then themselves became AVN devs. On top of that I see it being recommended here and there from time to time. So The Last Sovereign is definitely on my backlog. Maybe in 3 years or so. If it has a renpy version, I would play it but RPG generally needs a big time commitment

_SomeOneElse_

Jul 12, 2021
[..]

- Alive
- Healthy

[..]
Another one, that doesn't match to 100%, may be The Seven Realms ...
- If Undead is also somewhat alive ...
- The MC's father is not his original one, but if we count given vampire blood as some degree of it?
- The criteria of the character is a harder one, as a Vampire and the Rule of the Seven Realms, he is stearn / dominant / violent but as far as the current story goes, not against MC / his relatives ...
- Healthy (mentally? / physical?) depends on the story progress ...

jufot

May 15, 2021
- Alive
- Healthy
I don't quite remember all the games on the list, but from a quick look only The Artist and Reunion stand out. There are also games that might fit the criteria in the future, like Intertwined or Shards of the Past.

Reactions: EndlessNights

camube

Jun 4, 2022
On a completely different topic, I was reading some post in Reddit about VNs and was wondering about something that seems to be fairly common in VNs:

- Alive
- Healthy

I was trying to remember at least 1 game where the father is alive, present, and being a positive influence in MC's life, but I can't recall any.

Edit: now that I think of it, I remember MC's dad was present (and being a good guy/monster) in Monsters College, but he is shown just in the first scenes.
noping's game no such luck
hopefully deluca too in three years. i want to see if the fans speculation on who his dad is is true

365 others

Aug 31, 2022
Another one, that doesn't match to 100%, may be The Seven Realms ...
- If Undead is also somewhat alive ...
- The MC's father is not his original one, but if we count given vampire blood as some degree of it?
- The criteria of the character is a harder one, as a Vampire and the Rule of the Seven Realms, he is stearn / dominant / violent but as far as the current story goes, not against MC / his relatives ...
- Healthy (mentally? / physical?) depends on the story progress ...
I remember him! When I stopped playing he was recovering (mentally? cursed?), not sure if he is still appearing afterwards.

I don't quite remember all the games on the list, but from a quick look only The Artist and Reunion stand out. There are also games that might fit the criteria in the future, like Intertwined or Shards of the Past.
Thanks! I'll check Reunion and The Artist. The others I have played (tho I don't recall MC's dad in Intertwined before I stopped playing).

noping's game no such luck
hopefully deluca too in three years. i want to see if the fans speculation on who his dad is is true
How much content is length-wise for No such luck? Meaning in-game hours.

camube

Jun 4, 2022
How much content is length-wise for No such luck? Meaning in-game hours.
not very long.
More than an hour but the story is just starting. It's still intro period. maybe 90 minutes? 2 hours?
okay that's before chapter 3.

2-3 hours maybe? probably less if you read quick.

365 others

Aug 31, 2022
not very long.
More than an hour but the story is just starting. It's still intro period. maybe 90 minutes? 2 hours?
okay that's before chapter 3.

2-3 hours maybe? probably less if you read quick.
Ohh... I guess I'll wait for a couple more releases then. It looks promising, but I hate the feeling of leaving something mid-reading.

camube

Jun 4, 2022
Ohh... I guess I'll wait for a couple more releases then. It looks promising, but I hate the feeling of leaving something mid-reading.
chapter 3 is actually a good stopping point. It ends the introduction period. Playing now is fine. And since this is his second you game, it's likely and hopefully gonna get developed instead of abruptly abandoned

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
What's up with the Artist? It's marked as abandoned on here and the Patreon link links to some guy.

• Sad
Reactions: EndlessNights

jufot

May 15, 2021
What's up with the Artist? It's marked as abandoned on here and the Patreon link links to some guy.
The Patreon thing happens when the page is disabled, so it redirects to the account owner's profile. The dev has been silent for a long time, including on Discord. It's probably safe to assume it's abandoned. Such a shame though, it's a pretty unique game.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
And none of those questionable choices are done as cheap thrills for the player.
I read you.

While I can't say that you allayed all my hang ups, you have certainly made a lot more sense than seeing a bunch of people recommending a game filled with what for me is trash.

I agree that the Tag system is indeed a faulty one to rely on when choosing, but, well, something is better than nothing.

I have yet to play any game in the RPGM system, I have it blocked on my Latest Updates list. I have no clue what it even looks like. Compared to many here I am a very recent player, and stuck on Ren'Py.

So, thanks for the exhaustive reply. This has given me a lot to think on.

Peace :)

Reactions: dreamchaser

Birdnman993

Dec 6, 2021
I'll just add my vote to The Last Sovereign. It's an absolutely fantastic game with an outstanding story. Also, the main story is now finished, so it's a great time to start playing it!
However, it does take a good bit of commitment: My current playthrough sits at 112 hours, and I have the bigger part of chapter 5 still ahead of me (the last but biggest chapter of the game). I think you'd need to speedrun it to finish in under 100 hours. And I would not attempt playing the game without either help from the wiki, or taking extensive notes.
I tried it a bit some time ago mainly because they said that the combat system wasn't useless garbage like in most of the RPGs on this site, but I was a bit discouraged for two reasons.

The first one is the excess of text in the sex scenes, at the beginning when I started playing games like this I thought it was fine but when you've played many adult games you get tired of the author creating shakespeare putting a lot of text about how they are fucking, it's very tiring when an author is redundant with the words, I don't like when they describe every tiny detail, I'll imagine what's going on in my mind.

And the second is that we are basically the babysitter of a “hero” which seems to be taken out of a generic photocopier, I understand that it is something parodic making fun of that cliche, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

I still hope to give it a chance while ignoring the avalanches of generic sex text.

dreamchaser

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2020
I tried it a bit some time ago mainly because they said that the combat system wasn't useless garbage like in most of the RPGs on this site, but I was a bit discouraged for two reasons.

The first one is the excess of text in the sex scenes, at the beginning when I started playing games like this I thought it was fine but when you've played many adult games you get tired of the author creating shakespeare putting a lot of text about how they are fucking, it's very tiring when an author is redundant with the words, I don't like when they describe every tiny detail, I'll imagine what's going on in my mind.

And the second is that we are basically the babysitter of a “hero” which seems to be taken out of a generic photocopier, I understand that it is something parodic making fun of that cliche, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

I still hope to give it a chance while ignoring the avalanches of generic sex text.
I admit that I just quickly skim many of the sex scenes too, instead of really reading them. Though that is mostly a me thing - I am here for the story and the game, the sex content is just the cherry on top. Because of that I can tell you: You are missing close to nothing by simply skipping that text, all relevant character development and all the story happens outside of those sex scene descriptions. Read them if you are in the mood for them, skip them otherwise (you'll get a recall ability later, so they aren't lost once they are over ;)).

Your role as a hero babysitter very quickly changes, you don't need much patience at all to get past that part of the game. I am sure you'll enjoy the MCs decision to do something else instead. :D

Birdnman993

Dec 6, 2021
I admit that I just quickly skim many of the sex scenes too, instead of really reading them. Though that is mostly a me thing - I am here for the story and the game, the sex content is just the cherry on top. Because of that I can tell you: You are missing close to nothing by simply skipping that text, all relevant character development and all the story happens outside of those sex scene descriptions. Read them if you are in the mood for them, skip them otherwise (you'll get a recall ability later, so they aren't lost once they are over ;)).

Your role as a hero babysitter very quickly changes, you don't need much patience at all to get past that part of the game. I am sure you'll enjoy the MCs decision to do something else instead. :D
Oh really? Well maybe I'll give it a spin then to see, I want to believe that the positive reviews it has are not for nothing.

Reactions: dreamchaser
5.00 star(s) 8 Votes