Unity STRIP Battle Action Cards [v0.14] [Arcane Pengi]

3.80 star(s) 4 Votes

CYFire

Feb 8, 2018
Ok I played the Duo deck once before and was annoyed how many rounds I could spend only drawing cards without having the right combination of cards to do anything. And with 12+ resource cards on hand and never getting attack cards (or vice versa), the "toss your hand to draw cards" card or skill aren't that great, either.
Now after your comment, I retried the Duo deck with color change in mind - which boils down to "ignore the bonus damage of your cards, just hit the same spot repeatedly with alternating colors".
Was more effective, but that could have been drawers luck. If your opponent had more attacks and destroyed your hat early in game, you're kinda screwed.

Btw, found a bug: I've dealt the final blow to her panties with the hoodie's burn skill. After her final round, the burn gfx applied, the game was correctly over, but the underwear didn't disappear.

Regarding your idea of drawing two cards instead of one: faster pace of game would be good, but rnight screw you over if your opponent just rushes you down. Another feat could be "draw two, choose one" or "draw three, choose two". Would give you a choice, therefore might counter bad luck in drawing, but would't rush the game to much.

Also, as said before, Legwear skill and lucky! card are (right now) absolutely useless. I've seen two cards using coin toss. First one either 2 cards (ok, good) or 1 mana (fine, too. Wouldn't waste card nor mana for that). Second card was multiple coin toss to deal up to 3 (or 5, don't quite remember) times damage - GREAT CARD if you're lucky. But the catch - legwear skill and lucky card both talk about one (the next) toin coss. I am pretty sure they don't even stack for the next two tosses. So... really not worth it.

Sorry I don't want to talk your game down, I enjoy its humble first stage and am intrigued of its future.

EDIT for not doubleposting:

So I dabbled down into the higher difficulties. With Duo Deck I had no chance whatsoever. The deck is meant to be played in combos. You can't play vcombos if you have no cards. The slight chance of steamrolling is way outclassed by the sheer annoyance of drawing cards for 7 turns and not getting any playable combination.

With Mental deck, it was doable. Quite the task, but doable. It comes down tp how much your opponent bashes you and how fast you lose your Head, quite literally. I had some luck with early combination of Inner Peace, dumping half of my nearly full deck for 20 damage, and Garbage Day, counting my discarded cards for 20 to 30 damage. But if you end up with just your pants, you can't do much.

In higher difficulties, with your opponent having 80 / 160 more health in total than you, I find Magician a nice card (especially that you can play it solo), but also kinda useless if it only gives you breather for 1 turn. Or a half, when Arc crits.

The solo playable cards are the only thing keeping you sane. When you can, you want to deal damage, deal combos or crit damage, but as I said, you can't do that without cards. Being down to your panties, playing all your cards and then "toss your (empty) hand, draw 4" is a valid option - if you have 3 mana or the luck to draw Arc. But other than that, playing all your hand feels dumb. You can't do anythinmg for at least two turns, often more.
Maybe a rule "at the beginning of turn, fill your hand to (e.g.) 3 cards. If you already have three cards, draw one" might help out as another pacing alternative and bonus to encourage playing your hand. I can remember some tc games doing that, but can't remember their names.
On the other hand, gathering cards for one big slashing round might be viable, if for example multiple attacks in one round get bonus damage (might also be just 5 more), so for example Confusion + Lightning in one round against the same clothing, let's say Hat, deals 10+10crit (Conf against Hat)+10+5(consecutive) = 35 damage against the hat, but hoodie and pants only get 10 damage from lightning because of no consecuticve damage...

I realize I am just rambling ideas. You do you, it's your game. ;-P

Last edited:

cide12106

Aug 30, 2019
i like the concept, seems promising
does have card drawing balance issues
i can't entirely replicate it but a weird bug happens when if you hold a card while ending a turn it becomes completely unusable and you can drag it basically anywhere
1663634496872.png different bug but similar methods

ArcanePengi

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2022
Just posted a new version that should help with the Balancing issues! Same link as OP posted

• New Feature: May now Discard one card per turn to gain +1 Mana
  • Increased base HP to 100 on both sides (up from 50)
  • Draw 2 Cards per turn (up from 1)
  • Top Ability (Burn) costs 2 Mana (down from 3)
  • Reduced amount of Energy cards in both Mono and Duo decks
  • Reduced amount of "Draw 2" cards in Arc's deck
  • Added helpful UI to show when played cards will deal bonus damage, gain bonus Mana, or heal Burn
  • Added several missing SFX: Discarding, Thunder Strike, Healing

Last edited:

b00marrows

Aug 15, 2017
Games nice.

(This feedback from Demo v1)
  1. I think it might make sense to distinguish the sidedness of the "battle" better. Having the UI of your side and the opponents mirror is a little odd. Maybe moving the players stats to the bottom of the screen? or to the bottom left?
  2. This:
    1663716056819.png
    Is a bit ridiculous. Maybe energy cards should be "burnable" for a minor effect like healing 10 or something?
  3. Art could do with a bit of extra sharpness. The eyes, mouth and hoodie laces are nice and detailed/sharp, but everything elce gets a bit "aliasy" on my 1080P screen.
    Below i show a line on the elbow, the panties sticking out and the hip too.
    1663717549671.png

I am digging here, but polish is never a bad thing.

Always good to see Shadey corner/shades backing more games. Hope hes treating you well.

EDIT:
Ok had a while longer so played the newer version (Demo v2)

Update is good! Feel like your turned the game up a level.
  • Drawing 2 is good, much less downtime (pressing next turn without doing anything)
  • The increased hp make more sense since cards used well do 20 damage and progress feels like its more substantial when you break something.
  • 2 mana for a random burn is better, but it wont beat 3 for a draw.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArcanePengi

Baiser

Aug 3, 2018
who haved saves :cry:
It's still a demo with only one battle and no unlocks, there's nothing to save yet

For actual v2 feedback, It feels much better now and you don't get nearly as many 'down' turns where you can't do anything.

I feel like (not sure if I can remember the names but best guesses are) Inner peace and garbage day don't do great in the mental deck if only for the fact that you have to draw Inner peace really early to have a chance of getting more than 10 damage with garbage day being the opposite. They're nice cards for showing future strategies, but I feel they'd actually fit better in the duo deck due to the fact they work better with a bigger deck.

I really like the lightning bolt card because it's a different type of situational than the other cards, it's best early game but falls off the further along you get and I find that fun.

Last edited:

zapad

Jan 21, 2021
It's still a demo with only one battle and no unlocks, there's nothing to save yet

For actual v2 feedback, It feels much better now and you don't get nearly as many 'down' turns where you can't do anything.

I feel like (not sure if I can remember the names but best guesses are) Inner peace and garbage day don't do great in the mental deck if only for the fact that you have to draw Inner peace really early to have a chance of getting more than 10 damage with garbage day being the opposite. They're nice cards for showing future strategies, but I feel they'd actually fit better in the duo deck due to the fact they work better with a bigger deck.

I really like the lightning bolt card because it's a different type of situational than the other cards, it's best early game but falls off the further along you get and I find that fun.
and I understand there is only undressing?

ArcanePengi

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2022

The Mental Deck is still under-developed. For the purpose of this demo, the idea of using your Deck and Discard as currency for Mental playstyle should be enough until I update the Demo later on. I plan to have a playable tutorial in that version, possibly closer to December!

I'm planning to add ~3-5 cards per month to the Patreon version, and once the Demo is complete I'll update the decks with a few more card varieties~! Thanks for returning to test the newest version (v2)!

Reactions: CarbonBeast

DarkKat

Sep 16, 2018
A pretty fun little game, I look forward to the future updates coming down the line. You did a good job ironing out the drawing RNG in V2, having luck with the draw is just part of a card game.

One thing I'd like to see added is clothing destruction such as fraying, tearing, that sort of thing at 25, 50, and 75% damage before the article of clothing being targeted is outright destroyed. It would add a bit of flavor during the card battle in my opinion.

SouthBySouthWest

Jun 24, 2020
As everyone else has mentioned, the changes in V2 really helped, and hard mode feels beatable now.

A couple other points of feedback:
-Energy cards don't clog up your hand with the new changes, but they're still a bit uninteresting to draw. If you weren't already going to, I'd recommend having some "advanced energy" cards available later in the game, that have some small extra effect when you spend them.
-The underwear's ability is really strong now that the discard-for-mana mechanic means you can use it almost every turn. I mean, it's clearly supposed to be strong as an anti-snowballing measure, but I think it could still stand to cost more, maybe 5 mana. (Arc doesn't seem to use it, and I'm convinced that the game's difficulty would go way up if she did.)
-Since there's no maximum hand size, it's often a good idea to hold onto your attacks for a long time, waiting for the perfect Garbage Day or setting up a long physical-magical-physical string to get more mana. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I figured I'd point it out.

Overall, though, this is shaping up really well, I think it's got a lot of potential.

Baiser

Aug 3, 2018
1663996617939.png
So I was playing and noticed this near the end of the round, she'll just keep drawing and playing cards when she runs out of a deck. I'm not sure if it also does this when she has more than 10 health left on underwear but she got to like -5 in deck before I decided she was just going to keep drawing and attacking with imaginary cards forever. It's not really gamebreaking or anything, but it's a weird interaction

mwhitenc4

Oct 7, 2018
Someone else mentioned the ahegao face, the girl was really cute and it threw me off a bit when she did it. Would prefer if there was at least a way to disable it.

ArcanePengi

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2022
Someone else mentioned the ahegao face, the girl was really cute and it threw me off a bit when she did it. Would prefer if there was at least a way to disable it.
I will add a slider for that in the Settings menu for the next update!

Baiser That is fixed in the most recent Patreon build The next Demo build will be in a few months once the game is closer to release

KimDudeson

Nov 18, 2020
Windows prevented the app from running, is there some trojan hidden within the files, or is it safe to run it?

CYFire

Feb 8, 2018
V2 is a good step in the right direction, gameplay feels way less boring. Of course you can still end up with no viable play at hand, but that's the merit of a card game for you.

I definetly keep an eye open for future progress.

Figgz

Jul 18, 2019
Yeeeesh does the game play need work.
Hardly like "card battlers" as it is and this reaaally didnt make matters any better.
Art and design are just barely above decent.
The cards and gameplay are still too bare bones.
Also the locks on the character screens have (broken) physics??
Bruh.

Reactions: jester89G

ArcanePengi

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2022
Yeeeesh does the game play need work.
Hardly like "card battlers" as it is and this reaaally didnt make matters any better.
Art and design are just barely above decent.
The cards and gameplay are still too bare bones.
Also the locks on the character screens have (broken) physics??
Bruh.
Thanks for your harsh but fair criticism. May your day continue to be bright and cheery. (y)

Reactions: Figgz
3.80 star(s) 4 Votes