horny wizard

May 3, 2021
Lemme just dump this question right here, since ive been "around" for almost 4 decades now, and i havent spotted the change before - when exactly have "elven" ears started to protrude outwards from the head rather than just being pointy along the head?
I'd say the outwards ones have been popularized at least in anime since around the late 80's to early 90's. as for more generally, I'm gonna guess that Tolkien and his LOTR books may have had an impact on it since I always hear about how this guy maanged to essentially define fantasy dwarves and elves.
I don't know much about that part of history tho, you may have more luck actually asking that question on like a fantasy forum or some elves subreddit tho.

Reactions: Monosomething
Apr 19, 2021
Most of the pictures seems to indicate that the player controlled character is not the dominating one, is it evenly split or is it as the pictures show?

kyuven

Sep 29, 2019
Lemme just dump this question right here, since ive been "around" for almost 4 decades now, and i havent spotted the change before - when exactly have "elven" ears started to protrude outwards from the head rather than just being pointy along the head?

It might be a silly question, but im honestly used to the latter, and whenever i see those ears pointing outwards, something... very quietly... is starting to boil within me.

Anyone?
At least as far back as Deedlit from Record of Lodoss War as far as anime/manga is concerned. So 1988 at the very least.

And it wasn't a one-off thing. A few Slayers characters have that style ears, and Ruin Explorers has a main character with those style ears. And the rather on-the-nose "Those Who Hunt Elves" also uses that style of ears.

flannan

Dec 15, 2022

It might be a silly question, but im honestly used to the latter, and whenever i see those ears pointing outwards, something... very quietly... is starting to boil within me.

Anyone?
I certainly remember Deedlit from Record of Lodoss War having shoulder-wide ears (and even bigger pauldrons to avoid accidentally poking out people's eyes). And Record of Lodoss War is from 1990, almost as old as I am.

Apr 25, 2019
It's very telling how the dev got a male voice actor for a female character, how the first scene which the game calls "vanilla" has a "futa" in it, the fucking protag saying "they them cock" in that same scene, and the dev calling trans characters futa cuz they either don't know the difference or are purposely using them interchangeably.
Not to mention the boring combat and game loop.
Trash game

Chronwalk

Mar 18, 2019
It's very telling how the dev got a male voice actor for a female character, how the first scene which the game calls "vanilla" has a "futa" in it, the fucking protag saying "they them cock" in that same scene, and the dev calling trans characters futa cuz they either don't know the difference or are purposely using them interchangeably.
Not to mention the boring combat and game loop.
Trash game
I could've added this to my review of the game, but I think if I did, it'd have just been the last nail to the coffin...

Rakan

Jul 19, 2017
Man, the aesthetics of this game reminds me so much of a game called Ragnarok Online from 20 years ago.... 2d characters in a 3d world.

And it still fucking slaps!

Reactions: Mister Wake

ExcitedLemur404

Apr 25, 2020
missing the last coin, anyone have a complete save or a guide? I got the 3 at the ends of roads and one behind a billboard

RemiliaScarlett

Aug 18, 2018

Anyone?
we had those in warcraft (also elongated eyebrows xD) so pretty old afaik

XCelesX

Jun 2, 2020
if they sound like a girl thats all that matters for voice acting sounding like the character dont matter whos doing it naruto and goku if im correct were voiced by women.
problem is it sounds like a dude and yes Naruto and Goku are voiced by women. Goku by a granny even, but why do I have no problem with that? Because I don't want to fap while Goku screams Kamehameha

Gristlehawk_Games

Jan 22, 2024

Anyone?
deedlit.jpg

My guess is Record of Lodoss War started it. It aired in 1990 and the Deedlit character has real long, horizontal ears. I get the feeling she was a big influence on all the elf girls in modern isekai anime and other media. The main girl in that new Frieren anime has similar ears to Deedlit. Blizzard probably made it the default, though. All the elf bitches in warcraft have long ass sideways ears like that. There must have been a weeb at blizzard that was into Lodoss and drew all the sexy night elves with similar ears. Go figure most artists designing an elf girl will take notes from the single most profitable piece of media of all time: World of Warcraft. Personally, I like it, especially if they have lots of ear piercings. Sometimes they look like goofy donkey ears, though.

Reactions: Monosomething
1.30 star(s) 3 Votes