Mod Ren'Py Summer Scent [v0.6.4a] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes

JenMistress

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2019
And got caught back up with the Dev on this one as well, and once again, didn't see any problems with the mod. Thank you once again for your work on these mods!!!

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Hi Sancho, what's your Text editor/IDE of choice?
I've got limited actual experience coding despite having imo decent programming knowledge, my school doesn't give much practice work and exercises so I "hack" away or rebuild/compile at some games and mods on my own to learn a bit
Well bud, everyone is different. That's like asking me what's the best truck. It's indeed personal preference. One could use Notepad of course but the most popular IDEs are probably Sublime and Visual Studio. Atom was okay/passable in it's day but it's basically become obsolete. I have a custom VS build I use that integrates into and syncs to my servers, remote archives, and other non-disclosed trickery that's not relevant to the topic.

At the end of the day just use what comes easiest to be efficient and isn't a damn eyesore. Long hours on a crappy aesthetic over large multi-monitors will cripple you emotionally and mentally. Whatever you use you want to not even know you're using it, it should feel like an extension of the keyboard your slamming your logic into... it should flow, not cripple.

I like to think of it as what mixing board one uses in the studio. You can make an adequate recording on just about anything but once you find the setup that fits you, it's on a whole other level.

Reactions: ontach

Leo Humilis

May 4, 2020
Well bud, everyone is different. That's like asking me what's the best truck. It's indeed personal preference. One could use Notepad of course but the most popular IDEs are probably Sublime and Visual Studio. Atom was okay/passable in it's day but it's basically become obsolete. I have a custom VS build I use that integrates into and syncs to my servers, remote archives, and other non-disclosed trickery that's not relevant to the topic.

At the end of the day just use what comes easiest to be efficient and isn't a damn eyesore. Long hours on a crappy aesthetic over large multi-monitors will cripple you emotionally and mentally. Whatever you use you want to not even know you're using it, it should feel like an extension of the keyboard your slamming your logic into... it should flow, not cripple.

I like to think of it as what mixing board one uses in the studio. You can make an adequate recording on just about anything but once you find the setup that fits you, it's on a whole other level.
I used to use IDM UltraEdit. But since I never wanted to pay for it, and they've went out their way to crack down on cracking, LOL, I'm now using Notepad++ (which is totally free and open source, and has virtually all the features of UltraEdit).

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I used to use IDM UltraEdit. But since I never wanted to pay for it, and they've went out their way to crack down on cracking, LOL, I'm now using Notepad++ (which is totally free and open source, and has virtually all the features of UltraEdit).
I used N++ for years for quick edits... but their latest update borked all my settings and I haven't had time to go back into my backup archives to find my settings file... I can't remember how the hell I had it setup but it isn't like the default of v8.5.4

weirdscix

Apr 10, 2021
For larger projects I always stick with Visual Studio as it integrates with Unreal Engine.

For smaller projects, I swear by Visual Code, it has had a tone of improvements, is free and has plugins for nearly every language.

Of course Notepad++ kept for quick edits of ini files etc

Also thanks for the mod Sancho, going to give this game another try this afternoon

Leo Humilis

May 4, 2020
I used N++ for years for quick edits... but their latest update borked all my settings and I haven't had time to go back into my backup archives to find my settings file... I can't remember how the hell I had it setup but it isn't like the default of v8.5.4
I feel you, bro! Well, this can happen with any piece of software which you customize heavily over years... But at the end, you either find your backup config, or you start it all over from the scratch. At least, N++ stores its config in a file rather than registry, which makes it easier to set up an automated back up.

SnowyS

Jan 4, 2018
Sancho1969
Hey man, in case nobody has reported yet, found a bug in the 0.6.3 mod (I downloaded it here yesterday I think):
day4.rpy line 6528, there is a comma missing after the triggerMark

I'm me

Mar 26, 2019
Games never run on joiplay with sancho mods installed. They run fine before but crash on load up after:(

stonedout

Feb 17, 2018
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
ScriptError: Name (u'game/ZZU.rpy', 1676741669, 0) is defined twice, at game/SanchoMod/SanchoMod/ZZU.rpyc:2 and game/SanchoMod/ZZU.rpyc:2.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 274, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 490, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "renpy/script.py", line 297, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "renpy/script.py", line 809, in load_appropriate_file
self.finish_load(stmts, initcode, filename=lastfn) # type: ignore
File "renpy/script.py", line 487, in finish_load
check_name(node)
File "renpy/script.py", line 466, in check_name
bad_node.filename, bad_node.linenumber))
ScriptError: Name (u'game/ZZU.rpy', 1676741669, 0) is defined twice, at game/SanchoMod/SanchoMod/ZZU.rpyc:2 and game/SanchoMod/ZZU.rpyc:2.

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 7.5.1.22070801

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 274, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 490, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "renpy/script.py", line 297, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "renpy/script.py", line 809, in load_appropriate_file
self.finish_load(stmts, initcode, filename=lastfn) # type: ignore
File "renpy/script.py", line 487, in finish_load
check_name(node)
File "renpy/script.py", line 466, in check_name
bad_node.filename, bad_node.linenumber))

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 7.5.1.22070801
You've completely fucked up the installation in some way. There's no such directory as:
game/SanchoMod/SanchoMod/

Start over.

The proper installation process is two steps, and only these two (for PC in English):
  1. Install a fresh/unadulterated version of the VN (no hackery, no shenanigans, just the plain VN). You can do this in a new folder if you wish to retain your existing installation for whatever reason.
  2. Install the mod as directed in the OP (place all of the contents of the mod's zip inside the "/game" folder of the VN).
That's it, don't do anything else but start the VN and it will work 100% every time. Try that and report back please.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
I haven't finished this up yet, close to the end of Day 5, but I must say... that phone call scene in the living room with Steve and Jane, I really wish we coulda had to option to shut that shit down, that shit was dumb. (IMO)

I wouldn't have minded it if it wasn't during a serious scene (yes I know it was meant to be some comedic relief, but for me it didn't work), and if it woulda been something we agreed on, not something just sprung on us out of nowhere. I was just hoping the whole time that there would be an option to hang the call up, but it never came and then they leave the room... I skipped through most of it, that's the first time during the game so far that I had felt the need to skip through anything. (well besides some of the internal monologues the MC has, some of those are also awfully annoying)

That brings me to my only other problem with the game so far, which is a more prominent part of the game, and that's the MC himself, his internal monologues have to be my least favorite part of the game. The MC comes off as quite the pussy during these, always putting himself down, and sometimes rambling on for way too long instead of just getting shit done. (Yes it's his character flaws, but god sometimes it's too much) I really hope he starts to man up later on in the story, cause sometimes the MC is bearable, but often times I just find myself not being able to relate in anyway to the MC.

As far as everything else though, it's been great, I don't have many complaints. The positive definitely outweighs the negative for me so far. I like the narrative so far, and the characters other than the MC I have also thoroughly enjoyed. I also appreciate that the girls (on the dual love path for reference) didn't just both instantly jump all over the MC, and that when Cassie found out, she didn't just accept it but instead it caused a lot of drama that they had to take the time to resolve.

I'm not going to leave a formal review for now, but I would definitely give this a 4 out of 5 stars, I would give it at least a 4.5 if the MC didn't annoy me so much. (y)
You should probably post this on the actual game thread, rather than the mod thread, if you want to share your opinion with the majority of the people playing the game ...

• Haha
Reactions: SlapE

SlapE

Dec 4, 2022
You should probably post this on the actual game thread, rather than the mod thread, if you want to share your opinion with the majority of the people playing the game ...
I didn't even fucking notice... oopsie. :ROFLMAO: Well thanks for the heads up, that is a bit embarrassing.

• Haha
Reactions: Elhemeer

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I didn't even fucking notice... oopsie. :ROFLMAO: Well thanks for the heads up, that is a bit embarrassing.
It's no problem bud, no need to feel embarrassed (I just now noticed your original post). I don't generally restrict any story content... I simply try to warn a Player prior to an event they might be weirded out on. In this case I didn't since neither Steve nor Jane are LIs (obviously) and I've bantered plenty with my personal friends over chicks although I admit I've never called them nor them call me during any such event (so that IS different), but I just didn't see it as a big deal on my end. Therefore I didn't place a warning regarding it. I certainly can, but then I'm still at where I draw the line. There's just no practical way for me to tell the player everything that may or may not happen in every mod for every VN that might be offensive or unwanted by the Player... folks are simply too diverse.

So, long-winded way of saying, yes, I think that's a dev issue to handle, not a particular mod (imho). Feel free to reply if you think I'm off base though, I'm willing to listen to constructive criticism. Regards.

Reactions: SlapE
Jun 10, 2020
I can only speculate from a pic but it appears that you are receiving that while accessing the Load/Save screen, and there's a save that you named "Save 4" that is borked. I need more information. TBH, I've never seen anyone's save description throw an error before so I'd be highly interested in seeing the full traceback. Please attach the file (don't copy/paste the contents or an image, but the file via View attachment 2744183 the "Attach files" button. Provide any other context necessary such as: is that a save you physically made before? Did you copy someone else's save file into your game? Etc.

Edit: For full context and so you understand what I'm eyeballing from your exception error pic, note the line tagged below with my comment that is the exact line where it's being thrown (it's the actual save description text one sees on screen at the Load/Save screens):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Sorry it took so long. Here is the traceback attached. This is against 6.3a though.

Btw you are correct, it is when I hit 'Load' from the main menu.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Sorry it took so long. Here is the traceback attached. This is against 6.3a though.

Btw you are correct, it is when I hit 'Load' from the main menu.
At first glance, this folder structure in the traceback raises a flag for me:
While loading <renpy.display.im.Image object (u'\u2026ep1/ep6_sc18_308.jpg')

That image is under an appropriate subfolder on the VN running level, but not exactly as noted in the log file. It is under a directory named "ep6-1". The log file notes a specific unicode character "\u2026" which translates to ampersand " & " which seems very odd to me. It is this image for reference:
1689688627813.png

Try this as a possible solution in case that save file is (for whatever reason) borked:
  • With the VN closed (not running), in both the VN's "/game/saves" folder and "(username)/AppData/Roaming/RenPy/SummerScent-1560502960" folder, delete the offending save file (but make a backup of it first just in case by copy/pasting it to another temp folder of your choice, like the desktop for example).
  • Fire up the VN then check the Load screen again for any potential error.
  • Report back your findings.

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes