imzahai

Apr 19, 2019
all the talk about Mila...
i literally thought his complaints weren't about her but about the render as a whole, the blurred background, why he had to do it, the different lighting because he had more experience, etc.

Reactions: John972

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
the old hairstyle looks fine. not sure why the change.
Personally I'm not a fan of pigtails at all because it's associated with immaturity and childishness, which are traits I'm not attracted to. That is a personal thing though, some people are.
Still it's strange that Ocean decided to take one of the "most feminine" characters in his game and give her pigtails. Or maybe it's a deliberate decision, you never know. I like her new look heaps better even if it's unnecessary to change her style every other encounter. All the "blonde bombshell" LIs are hard enough to keep track of as is.

Nurikabe

Feb 10, 2021
Personally I'm not a fan of pigtails at all because it's associated with immaturity and childishness, which are traits I'm not attracted to. That is a personal thing though, some people are.
Still it's strange that Ocean decided to take one of the "most feminine" characters in his game and give her pigtails. Or maybe it's a deliberate decision, you never know. I like her new look heaps better even if it's unnecessary to change her style every other encounter. All the "blonde bombshell" LIs are hard enough to keep track of as is.
Come on! It's cute! I hope it isn't through the whole game. It is fine for a scene though, don't ya think?

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
I think (from memory) Ocean mentioned he made a mistake with the sculpt tool when dealing with Mila, and maybe it was adapting some new techniques he was trying in Blender. The strange this is that he kept moving forward with the changes to try and correct it by doing more rather than reverting, and essentially she became more silicon styled.

I much prefer her facial features now, but I can't honestly say what her body is like. It's somewhere on the scale between Nami and Karen I guess? I imagine once 5 full is done, Ocean will basically have her model fixed for the rest of the game ...unless Mila manages to lose some connective tissue from all the sweet sweet golf exercising, just like Nika got gains from such short, near-death training experiences. :sneaky:

I guess a thing to keep in mind is someone playing SG for the first time wouldn't know there was any different Mila.

Ocean isn't fixated on only enlarging - Eva is a pretty frugal character, she reminds me of a certain neurotic chihuahua :cool:

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
I have to confess, I don't like Mila. I mean, I love her personality but I don't like her looks. The most recent version from CH5 has fixed the sculpting issue or whatever it was, but I still don't like her visual appearance. But, I find very attractive Nami, Bella, Sasha, Robin, Zara, Nadia, Maja, Nia, Amber, Kate, Sasha's motley friend, Wrong Cheeto, Girl in a baseball cap, Coach Hill, Ceril older sis. I don’t know what to think about Vic, I like some of her images, while others look strange or ridiculous.

And with such a rich cast of girls for every taste, I just can't bring myself to bitching about Mila, especially when Ocean said several times that he liked that she had exactly these features, it was his intention to make her inflated like a balloon uniquely curvy. If giant curvy Mila is the price to pay for the other beauties I like, well, that's the price I'm willing to pay. Ocean should have at least one girl in his game who suits his taste. :KEK:

turbojoe

Forum Fanatic
Sep 27, 2021

Hello,
So...

Chapter 5's full is coming along well, and I've finished the most daunting scene. The Bella heist night from Chapter 2 is done.
Just to give you an idea of how much longer that scene is:

Old Chapter 2: 77 Renders

New Chapter 2: 234 renders

The heist night has tripled in size.

I'll add some comparisons here and there. (4K of all images attached.)

Old Chapter 2

New

Old

New

Old

New

But... will the night end after the heist? :)

The heirloom Bella and the MC steal now have a separate scene too.

I'd say I'm about 65% done with the rework and around 600 renders in. I'm actually faster than I first anticipated. I did struggle a little with the heist scenes. I had to create so many new environments (Except the outside).

The only stuff that's still missing is the college Part in Chapter 2. I already finished the Bella end scenes (Previewed it in the last log.) and the beginning is also completely done.

I'd say around 500 renders more and it's done.

Here's another scene from Chapter 2 that's done.

Old Noji & Nami morning after the heist.

New

While I was scrolling through the old Chapters... I found this old Nightmare of a scene.

I remember said scene vividly... Before Chapter 3 was released, I completely re-did it because I couldn't render it properly and had to blur the shit out of it bc every character in the background was on the lowest res possible so I could render it. Still, this scene still features the shitty Mila model.

I'm redoing said scene and I'm almost done with it.

I had a pretty long call with my tax office.

I won't be able to buy as much music as I did in the past for quite some time if we ignore a potential Steam success.

The issue is that I have to write off music licenses over 10 years if they're over 500-800€. A lot of them are...

This means only a fraction of the music I paid for will be counted as a business expense for the upcoming years

It's ~0.83% per month that I can deduct. The rest of the money I already spent on licenses, I have to pay taxes on... Even though the money has already been spent on the game/business.

I won't have tax problems or something like that, but it fucks with my future music endeavors and I need to be much more careful. Don't expect a big collection of music at the beginning of Season 2.

And it wouldn't be a Season 2 Dev log without a Season 2 preview...

I'll be moving in a few days and I'll try to get everything done ASAP. I'll be one day without internet though.

WiAB's going to be out soon and I'm speedrunning the ~1100 renders for the Chapter 5 Full.

I'll see you in two weeks!

I might make some SG and WiAB Christmas treats. Maybe Bellchen and Katie together... I'll see where my inspiration takes me.

- Ocean
Thanks for the update, but pls allow me to note beeing not very happy with all the effort wasted into old chapters.
Instead of it I rather would prefer all the manpower is invested in proceeding with this amazing story.

As I posted here https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-5-beta-oceanlab.29981/post-12270910 the potential of this game is almost endless, and I don´t want to wait 10 years until I finally get to know what happend to Summer..............

Btw I also was happy with Milas old look, but thank heavens she is still stunning and my favorite char ;)

Reactions: Sleepy666

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
and I don´t want to wait 10 years until I finally get to know what happend to Summer..............
I frankly don't give a single shit about what happened to Summer and I would be surprised if other players do.
The only important thing is that she doesn't suddenly turn up and gets between me and [insert favourite LI].

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Thanks for the update, but pls allow me to note beeing not very happy with all the effort wasted into old chapters.
Instead of it I rather would prefer all the manpower is invested in proceeding with this amazing story.

As I posted here https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-5-beta-oceanlab.29981/post-12270910 the potential of this game is almost endless, and I don´t want to wait 10 years until I finally get to know what happend to Summer..............

Btw I also was happy with Milas old look, but thank heavens she is still stunning and my favorite char ;)
Have you ever heard of the TV series "Lost" (2004)? This is just my raw speculation, but I think Summer is somewhat similar to the Smoke Monster from Lost.
I mean that this is some kind of unknown fucking shit, it’s unclear what it is, it’s unclear where it came from, it’s unclear why this shit even exist :HideThePain:
But nevertheless, it constantly rushes around the characters and brings them troubles.:HideThePain: At least the mystery surrounding it kept viewers interested for several seasons.
I hope Ocean turns out to be more capable than the Lost screenwriters, and Smoke Monster Summer turns out to be more than just some ridiculous dead dude whose story stoned screenwriters came up with at the last minute. :HideThePain:
But I think things may be even worse, so at the end of the game we still won't know what happened to Summer. :KEK:

Sep 18, 2022
Yeah, it's a shame things aren't kept simple. Mila seems to have a different salon hairstyle every other day. Maybe it's something unique to her character...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Maybe she's so poor b/c she is always visiting expensive hair salons?

New Mila > Old. The old model had completely unrealistic proportions and would stick out like a sore thumb in any chapter that features the improved render quality.

Krytax123

Dec 29, 2022
I dont really give a shit as mila is probably my least favorite LI but holy shit, her old look is like so many leagues above the new one at least in these two pics. While playing i didnt noticed the difference this much tbh.

And it kinda sounds like ocean didnt really understood his tax office or they explained it badly? If his liquidity is really fucked he shouldnt buy a lot of music for a lot of money anyway and otherwise whats the difference about writing it off for 10 years compared to a shorter duration? Esp if he bought this much licences already, it should be a good yearly tax reduction.

Its pretty obivous that he will still be developing summers gone in 10 years lol

seniorboop

Jun 5, 2021
Bella doesn't like people. She has a few close friends and doesn't want anyone else. She also has a strong prejudice and hostility towards men. She has no male friends, the closest one is a gay barber. It is illogical for a girl who interacts so little with people to have random sex outside, fresh out of high school. Also, even in her first limited flirtations with Nika, she behaved strangely, so she is not like a girl who has sex at all. The surprise of her close friends at Bella's kiss with Nika is proof enough. So yes, it is very illogical that Bella, who is a big event even kissing a man, is having random sex around.
Python:
        b "Still, I have friends in this community. Loyal friend's I'd find nowhere else."
        scene sb791 with dssa
        d "Male and female?"
        scene sb792 with dssa
        b "Yes, both genders."
The cap must be stopped

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
I dont really give a shit as mila is probably my least favorite LI but holy shit, her old look is like so many leagues above the new one at least in these two pics. While playing i didnt noticed the difference this much tbh.

And it kinda sounds like ocean didnt really understood his tax office or they explained it badly? If his liquidity is really fucked he shouldnt buy a lot of music for a lot of money anyway and otherwise whats the difference about writing it off for 10 years compared to a shorter duration? Esp if he bought this much licences already, it should be a good yearly tax reduction.

Its pretty obivous that he will still be developing summers gone in 10 years lol
The problem with writing off assets is you have to depreciate them over time, while you still need to acquire new assets. As it's depreciated over ten years, he's not able to claim the full cost in one year, but he's actually paid out the full cost in one year. the following year, he needs more assets, so he's further out of pocket and still can't claim the full expense, so he ends up getting taxed on more money than he has each year. Sure it helps in other years, but if you need to buy something on a yearly basis it hurts really quickly.

That's probably why he went for cheaper licenses that were yearly, because subs get taxed as a different expense, because they're a lease instead of a purchase.

Krytax123

Dec 29, 2022
The problem with writing off assets is you have to depreciate them over time, while you still need to acquire new assets. As it's depreciated over ten years, he's not able to claim the full cost in one year, but he's actually paid out the full cost in one year. the following year, he needs more assets, so he's further out of pocket and still can't claim the full expense, so he ends up getting taxed on more money than he has each year. Sure it helps in other years, but if you need to buy something on a yearly basis it hurts really quickly.

That's probably why he went for cheaper licenses that were yearly, because subs get taxed as a different expense, because they're a lease instead of a purchase.
Are the assets written off for 10 years too? Thought they are a shorter time and he was only talking about expensive music licences? This would definitly change my perspective. But as of now he can write off ~10% off all music liscences he bought so far which should reduce his tax this year with the expenses of the last years accordingly. But whatever, ocean will find a solution.

4.30 star(s) 507 Votes