j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Is it? Im pretty sure there's thousands of Philippinos who are atleast as good as DC and draw for 5$ an Hour or less.
I really don't get whats so special about his art. Its not like its bad, but its not very good either.
Its simple cartoonish art like anyone who can draw could draw. Its not like he has to hire Akabur or someone else of the patreon artists for 5k+ a month. Theres thousands of talented artists in low income countries who would love to work for a couple 100$ a month.

I think he´s just too lazy to look for one or two artists to support him.
That's really not what it's about though. Simply because the art isn't that complicated you actually need someone who can work on his own, is creative on his own and will deliver art on point with little introduction and no corrections by DC on his own. As soon as DC has to spend time to instruct someone in detail on what to do, has to review and possibly even correct stuff, he may as well draw it on his own in about the same time. The problem in that regard basically is that DC either has to stop drawing completely, hire several artists and manage them, like it happens in big projects (which won't happen) or he'll have to settle with one artist, who will have to be 100% compatible in every possible way, so work goes smoothly.

Else one should consider that it's a small team and thus it has to fit personalitiy wise as well. The last thing we need is DC getting frustrated for what ever reason. Too many devs have burned and lost their momentum or stopped entirely...

Aug 28, 2018
As soon as DC has to spend time to instruct someone in detail on what to do, has to review and possibly even correct stuff, he may as well draw it on his own in about the same time. The problem in that regard basically is that DC either has to stop drawing completely, hire several artists and manage them, like it happens in big projects (which won't happen) or he'll have to settle with one artist, who will have to be 100% compatible in every possible way, so work goes smoothly.
I dont get where the problem with a little reviewing and correction is. If an artist draws a scene and its not perfect he still has done 80-90% of the work. All DC has to do then is do the correcting which will take significantly less time then drawing the whole scene himself.

This wouldnt double the output but give him atleast 1.5x the output he would have alone. Also the artists get used to his style in a couple of months (maximum one patch) the artist would make significantly less errors which have to be fixed, improving the amount of scenes even more.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
I dont get where the problem with a little reviewing and correction is. If an artist draws a scene and its not perfect he still has done 80-90% of the work. All DC has to do then is do the correcting which will take significantly less time then drawing the whole scene himself.
Well, he showed some stuff he got from applicants some time ago and there was a lot he wanted to correct. If you add all those things together, add instructions, general communication, etc. there's just not much gained efficiency in it. I can fully understand that he doesn't want that. Art is a rather sensitive subject and I personally certainly wouldn't spend money on someone who doesn't get it on point right away at least 18 out of 20 times.

fxguy

Jan 13, 2019
well,she only asks you for 3 tools in the game,the shovel,the milker and the thermal bottle....if i remember it correctly....
Maybe but when I click on her door when she says it is in the kitchen, I keep getting the, I need her permission screen

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
Is it? Im pretty sure there's thousands of Philippinos who are atleast as good as DC and draw for 5$ an Hour or less.
I really don't get whats so special about his art.
Its not like its bad, but its not very good either.
Its simple cartoonish art like anyone who can draw could draw. Its not like he has to hire Akabur or someone else of the patreon artists for 5k+ a month. Theres thousands of talented artists in low income countries who would love to work for a couple 100$ a month.

There's a few things to say about this...

Feb 7, 2018
Now consider the fact that Dark Cookie is currently the ONLY artist working on this and it's HIS style. No one can replicate it easily and like he said he doesn't have the time to train someone new and hold their hand every step of the process.

Hiring someone who is competent enough, can copy DC's style exactly (so that the art is consistent) and willing to work on an adult game is nigh impossible!
Are for real? As I've mentioned a dozen times, every other format of art has multiple hands touching it and adapting to a master style. It is in the core of animation training. DC and his work is not special. He doesn't even need anyone to do the majority of the work, he just needs someone to do in betweens or backgrounds, or something smaller simply to reduce the amount of time he has to spend doing everything.

It's not nigh impossible. There are multiple forms devoted to people who do adult atwork who, for the right price, could do the job. DC claims they looked at a few people, but the fact that every other industry involving art can manage to pull off a similar task, and this one game can't, strikes me as making their claims as BS. Hell, even the fan art thread on here has samples of people who can mimic DC's style enough that all he would need to do is touch them up to make them more like his. That would reduce his workload tremendously. Hell just getting someone else to do shading would move things faster.

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
Okay, just for perspective, I'm going to post an indie developer that gets very similar criticisms. Just so it's not all on Google, I'll put it into spoilers.

The point here is that DC's team will probably have to deal with this, but I want to put this into context that an indie adult gaming platform is going to have even more challenges than an indie dev.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Now I'm going to say that I believe the art bottleneck is a serious issue that won't be solved right away. For people to constantly harp on it is to lose sight of why it's been the issue that is the hardest to solve and make it work for the rest of the team.

garyshinfield

Nov 30, 2016
I really don't get whats so special about his art. Its not like its bad, but its not very good either.

*Filipinos

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
The delay wait time is noticeable. DC's earnings fell from $ 52k to $ 47k.
- and by that standard it has actually been a pretty good month. Pledges get updated and patreon throws out those who messed up their payments, tried to cheat etc.

seraphimd2

Jun 18, 2017
I'm not feeling the hype either.
them you are good for the next updates(what probably means something like the rest of this year)trust me,its better not feel the hype,even more when the soon comes around,for the first time,its a good feeling you know,not checking his page everyday nor looking at the progress bar,DIane's update was the last thing i waited for,now i'm free from the hype until the people vote on Judith's update,sadly it seems a far future from now....

BoykaBoykov

Feb 2, 2018
Just what the hell makes you think you're doing anything useful going around asking for artists to work for a game that you're not developing, or connected to in any way? :O Pretty sure DC is more than capable of recruiting an artist if he feels like he needs one, instead of having some random guy with no connection to the project pestering artists if they'd work him. :D Time to realize that it's not your job to pester anyone with hypothetical job offers to a project that is not yours, and let DC & co do their thing without this kind of ridiculous bs.
DC said find me a good artist i recommended him melkormancin
he said "his art looks impressive and it seems like he is able to addapt making same art like me"
and he said "would be cool if he will be a member of my team".
So pls don't cry if you don't know the background story.

Reactions: Jackie123 and Big-T

JKH18

Jan 16, 2018
DC said find me a good artist i asked him what do you think about melkor he said "his art looks impressive and it seems like he could easily addapt making same art like me" and he said "would be cool if he will be a member of my team".
So pls don't cry if you don't know the background story.
Trust me, I'm not crying. The opposite actually. :D Still not your job to contact any artist on behalf of DC, since you're in no way connected to the game. If you'd engaged your brain before pestering artists, you would have forwarded the artist's info to DC and let him make the call whether or not contact him with an offer. All I'm saying, is that it makes DC look bad when a random guy not connected to the game goes around making hypothetical offers to artists.

Reactions: Sync

BoykaBoykov

Feb 2, 2018
Trust me, I'm not crying. The opposite actually. :D Still not your job to contact any artist on behalf of DC, since you're in no way connected to the game. If you'd engaged your brain before pestering artists, you would have forwarded the artist's info to DC and let him make the call whether or not contact him with an offer. All I'm saying, is that it makes DC look bad when a random guy not connected to the game goes around making hypothetical offers to artists.
One way or another i am connected to the game i play this game & pledge for ss since years
I know the first coder of ss personally he told me that he asked panda if he can replace him and make his work in ss even before dc knew about it.

JKH18

Jan 16, 2018
One way or another i am connected to the game i play this game & pledge for ss since years
I know the first coder of ss personally he told me that he asked panda if he can replace him and make his work in ss even before dc know about it.
I will soon upload most of his streams to a site similar to youtube.
The only way to boost up the progress speed is to find him a good artist.
Being a patron myself, I'd never go around making offers, that's my point. You are not part of the team, and you're not in any position to make any decisions regarding the game itself, no matter how long you've supported the game and the team, who you know or don't know, it still makes DC look bad when you decide to go around making offers. Doesn't matter how long you've been a patron, how much money you've spent, or who you know, it's just an incredibly stupid thing to do to go around contacting anyone on behalf of a team you're not a part of in any way.

4.20 star(s) 341 Votes