Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
All this talk of hyperbole regarding start times, i literally started a stop watch before my previous post, so that i wasnt just pulling a "feels like" number out of my ass.

It took 11 and a half minutes to launch in Joiplay. And even once it was launched, it was very sluggish and laggy.

Now, i will accept that im running this on an older phone (Galaxy S7, for whatever it's worth), however *my* point is that compared to all other renpy games, many of which are just as big as this, if not bigger, this takes far longer to launch than anything else ive played. To the point i have to wonder if it will ever start or is going to crash.

That speaks to either a coding issue, how it's packaged, or something else under the hood. Which was the only thing i said. Hopefully, after they do yet another pass at the code, etc, it will improve launch times.
Why not use the phone version instead of a wonky emulator to play the PC version ? Then you wonder why your phone melts itself having to fumble around both the emulator and a version not made for it .....
According to DC, that will never happen - she is involved with the Captain and he doesn't share.
According to DC, the real life dude who Terry is based on agreed to be in-game with his real girlfriend if nothing happened to her not involving him

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
You dudes realise having a good CPU does nothing when you gotta load stuff from your disk ? Only thing that'll speed things up is your access time (aka SSD) ..... Being able to play a 3D game that only loads pre-made textures to your GPU means nothing
Tell that to my PC. When I go to power settings and limit max CPU performance to 20%, I get a startup time of 100 secs instead of the 40 secs at 100%. I guess the CPU spends that additional time on thinking what to do in that unexpected situation ;)

Reactions: Count Morado

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
According to DC, the real life dude who Terry is based on agreed to be in-game with his real girlfriend if nothing happened to her not involving him
So when some modder decides to switch out the captain for the MC, what happens then?

ImTransAndTiny

May 1, 2020
So when some modder decides to switch out the captain for the MC, what happens then?
I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. I'm pretty sure that a gentlemen's agreement between DC and the anonymous inspiration for Terry isn't legally binding on anyone else. What other people do isn't DC's fault or liability.

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
Okay as I have said , I have not actually played the game yet , had been waiting on the tech update being this seems to be at least a year(s) away LOL.
So I DL'ed this version and went to start the game from the main exe in the main game folder and the splash screen blinked and nothing happened (waited 20+ minutes).
After that I was hunting around in the folders went into Lib found the windows folder , found the exe in the windows folder and the game loaded in like 30 seconds. (even with the hardware listed earlier in the thread it seemed pretty fast loading to me)

So my question is why did the main folder game exe fail to load? When the one in Lib/windows work just fine and does it really matter which exe I use?

completely clean install and no mods

Last edited:

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
Okay as I have said , I have not actually played the game yet , had been waiting on the tech update being this seems to be at least a year(s) away LOL.
So I DL'ed this version and went to start the game from the main exe in the main game folder and the splash screen blinked and nothing happened (waited 20+ minutes).
After that I was hunting around in the folders went into Lib found the windows folder , found the exe in the windows folder and the game loaded in like 30 seconds. (even with the hardware listed earlier in the thread it seemed pretty fast loading to me)

So my question is why did the main folder game exe fail to load? When the one in Lib/windows work just fine and does it really matter which exe I use?
The main exe works for me
Downloading it again to see if it is corrupt ?

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
The main exe works for me
Downloading it again to see if it is corrupt ?
Does it make a difference? the one in the Lib/windows folder works fine that is what I am curious about , don't want to get half way through the game and find out I should have been using the other exe.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
Does it make a difference? the one in the Lib/windows folder works fine that is what I am curious about , don't want to get half way through the game and find out I should have been using the other exe.
I have no idea.

Reactions: APoc1

dkatryl

May 26, 2018
Why not use the phone version instead of a wonky emulator to play the PC version ? Then you wonder why your phone melts itself having to fumble around both the emulator and a version not made for it .....
Im not sure if stuff just gets lost in translation or what, but im not just asking "why does it take so long on my phone?" If i was only asking that, then i'd say sure, 6yo phone, and all that.

I am asking "why does it take so long on my phone *compared to every other game that i play via Joiplay*" (i use Joiplay because i dont like to have to rely on someone to make android ports using the compressed versions, plus you can freely add mods, such as gallery mods.)

For instance, i launched What a Legend for comparison, as that is also a fully hand drawn game, and is going to be more similar than a random Daz game.

It took 45sec, which is about average for most other renpy games for me.

Now, i can already hear the "oh, but SS has so much more content than WaL because it's been in development for so much longer." True. However, 45s vs 11.5minutes. That's 15x longer.

Well, i just did a comparison of their folders.
WaL is 659MB, and has 13,931 files
SS is 547MB, and has 24,662 files

WaL is actually bigger overall, but SS has 1.77x more files, so not quite twice as many. So, i could see twice as long, maybe even three times as long, due to number of files. But FIFTEEN times longer to load?

People can blame my older phone for being slow, sure, but ignoring that relative speed compared to a similar game is just being willfully ignorant.

But all that is besides the point, which is just hoping the current code project will address the launch time to be more in line with other renpy games.

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
Weird the main exe not working for you, I downloaded it again and I had no problems with it.
I used the Mega link if that matters
Maybe, I used the anonfile one don't have an account set up on mega usually when I try and DL files over 1gb there it wants me to set one up , could have to do with the fact I am still running W7 Pro also have not closed the game now that I have it running and tried again the two exe's are slightly different size don't know if that matters either. All I know is so far everything works.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Than Screw you DC!!!
GJ being about 4 years late to the hate-train
Im not sure if stuff just gets lost in translation or what, but im not just asking "why does it take so long on my phone?" If i was only asking that, then i'd say sure, 6yo phone, and all that.

I am asking "why does it take so long on my phone *compared to every other game that i play via Joiplay*" (i use Joiplay because i dont like to have to rely on someone to make android ports using the compressed versions, plus you can freely add mods, such as gallery mods.)

For instance, i launched What a Legend for comparison, as that is also a fully hand drawn game, and is going to be more similar than a random Daz game.

It took 45sec, which is about average for most other renpy games for me.

Now, i can already hear the "oh, but SS has so much more content than WaL because it's been in development for so much longer." True. However, 45s vs 11.5minutes. That's 15x longer.

Well, i just did a comparison of their folders.
WaL is 659MB, and has 13,931 files
SS is 547MB, and has 24,662 files

WaL is actually bigger overall, but SS has 1.77x more files, so not quite twice as many. So, i could see twice as long, maybe even three times as long, due to number of files. But FIFTEEN times longer to load?

People can blame my older phone for being slow, sure, but ignoring that relative speed compared to a similar game is just being willfully ignorant.

But all that is besides the point, which is just hoping the current code project will address the launch time to be more in line with other renpy games.
Dunno what files you got but Summertime is over 1GB and WaL is over 2GB. Maybe not using the compressed could help. And you also missed the last 3 pages explaining in details why Summertime can take longer, especially on lower-end hardware. Coding games in Renpy doesn't mean they'll all behave the same either. WaL uses image files already split in body parts and whatnot while Summertime has to de-archive the entire game everytime you start it (talking about PC master race, your wonky compressed phone app doesn't apply to normal behavior). At least now you know your phone blows and you should get a newer 1 or get a PC to play the game, it won't solve itself (probably not even the tech build, since it's mostly aimed at wider screen, not boost archaic hardware load times)

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Maybe, I used the anonfile one don't have an account set up on mega usually when I try and DL files over 1gb there it wants me to set one up , could have to do with the fact I am still running W7 Pro also have not closed the game now that I have it running and tried again the two exe's are slightly different size don't know if that matters either. All I know is so far everything works.
Oh, you downloaded from anonfile? Yeah, you gotta be VERY careful downloading there (making sure you only download a RAR or ZIP, not an ISO, etc). Hope your system is ok.

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
Oh, you downloaded from anonfile? Yeah, you gotta be VERY careful downloading there (making sure you only download a RAR or ZIP, not an ISO, etc). Hope your system is ok.

Seems fine, I got the zip file. The sumertimesaga.exe in the Lib/windows-i686 folder opens the game and everything plays did not go past sleeping on day 0 though. Went back and tried the other exe in the main folder same thing, the loading splash screen flashes and in task manager it pops up and disappears in a flash can't even read it it is so fast. Could just be that one file is corrupt I would assume its purpose is to determine if you are on windows or linux hence why the other exe works , the first one in the main folder would just point to the other in whatever respective folder it needs to after figuring out what platform you are on. If I am wrong I would appreciate someone letting me know.

Reactions: Count Morado

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Seems fine, I got the zip file. The sumertimesaga.exe in the Lib/windows-i686 folder opens the game and everything plays did not go past sleeping on day 0 though. Went back and tried the other exe in the main folder same thing, the loading splash screen flashes and in task manager it pops up and disappears in a flash can't even read it it is so fast. Could just be that one file is corrupt I would assume its purpose is to determine if you are on windows or linux hence why the other exe works , the first one in the main folder would just point to the other in whatever respective folder it needs to after figuring out what platform you are on. If I am wrong I would appreciate someone letting me know.
You download the official archive from the official web site, extract it, and click the exe in the main folder. If that does not work, it's on your side. Maybe try another folder with a shorter path name, there might be an issue with windows limited path name length.

4.00 star(s) 362 Votes