EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
In fact, borrowing words and then altering them is the most common reason for having homonyms in different languages with different definitions.
Because those are different languages
this is the reason half of the english language has words which seem similar to french or germanic languages. because english is LITERALLY the result of those languages (and some others) slowly integrating with one another over millenia. for example the words for "cow" and "beef" are different because the poor workers in the 12th century who looked after the cows called them cows but the rich french aristocrats who had just invaded the country called the meat "boeuf" which eventually got simplified to "beef", whereas most other languages call the meat and the animal of original the same thing or something similar to one another (if im remembering correctly)

Reactions: Count Morado

harem.king

Engaged Member
Aug 16, 2023
this is the reason half of the english language has words which seem similar to french or germanic languages. because english is LITERALLY the result of those languages (and some others) slowly integrating with one another over millenia. for example the words for "cow" and "beef" are different because the poor workers in the 12th century who looked after the cows called them cows but the rich french aristocrats who had just invaded the country called the meat "boeuf" which eventually got simplified to "beef", whereas most other languages call the meat and the animal of original the same thing or something similar to one another (if im remembering correctly)
interesting. I do enjoy a good etymology factoid.

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
I was trying to investigate if there really exists an ENGLISH dialect where people use the ENGLISH word college in an ENGLISH sentence to indicate a middle school.
as for the answer to this, as a native english speaker living in england i have never heard of this happening though it wouldnt surprise me if somewhere people did call middle school "college". but generally the school system is described as:
"primary school" - ages 5 -> 11
"secondary school" (sometimes "high school") - ages 11 -> 16
and then you go onto EITHER:
"sixth form" (just 2 additional years of high school with different qualifications at the end)
OR:
"college" (same additional 2 years but standalone i.e. no high school on within the same campus/teaching environment etc, and "sixth form" equivalent qualifications at the end

(sixth form and college are equivalent to one another, just different environments. sixth form is more like high school, college is kind of half way between high school and university)

THEN:
"university" where you get undergraduate degrees and above so usually 18+

but there are THOUSANDS of dialects and subtle differences across the country so i wouldnt be surprised at all if the names vary to literally anything across the different parts of the country

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
The original argument (which I am arguing against) is that the game, in its english version, uses the word "college". And that this word can also mean middle school.
That was NOT the original argument. You jumped in mid-argument without knowing the terms of engagement. It has NOTHING to do with the term used in the game nor does the person who started the topic appear to have English as their first language - and thus could be using the cognate of the word in their first language, thinking it means exactly the same (whether it does or not have the same exact definition or is meaning a different level of education than what you are arguing).

This was the original argument:
1722736696964.png
1722736714398.png
1722736727279.png

And after this is where you jumped in:
1722736872007.png
Based upon Sir Anal's conversations, it appears that they may be Flemish, French, or Algerian.

Again, it has nothing to do with the game, hence why I have mentioned before this is an off-topic conversation. And does directly appear to have everything to do with someone (or more than one) who do not have English as their first language.

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
That was NOT the original argument. You jumped in mid-argument without knowing the terms of engagement. It has NOTHING to do with the term used in the game nor does the person who started the topic appear to have English as their first language - and thus could be using the cognate of the word in their first language, thinking it means exactly the same (whether it does or not have the same exact definition or is meaning a different level of education than what you are arguing).

This was the original argument:
View attachment 3896819
View attachment 3896820
View attachment 3896821

And after this is where you jumped in:
View attachment 3896822
Based upon Sir Anal's conversations, it appears that they may be Flemish, French, or Algerian.

Again, it has nothing to do with the game, hence why I have mentioned before this is an off-topic conversation. And does directly appear to have everything to do with someone (or more than one) who do not have English as their first language.
if in england it is perfectly reasonable to be 16 and in college, thats the normal age of starting college (at least for what "college" normally refers to)

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
if in england it is perfectly reasonable to be 16 and in college, thats the normal age of starting college (at least for what "college" normally refers to)
I wasn't doubting their narrative. I was simply recounting the conversation as it stood.

Glorious Cat

Jul 25, 2017
Here's the clip (I decided to pull it from the VOD when I read your post). Note his vision of 100, 200, 300 total characters in the game. There is no plan to end the development of this game at any foreseeable time.
I included captions (ai created) for those who can read and kept the audio available for those who cannot (low res because of 10MB limit for attachments on F95, also audio is a bit muddied).
The new phone UI he's come up with looks really nice.

On the same stream, he replied to someone who asked about Debbie's art, saying that she was one of the oldest with 2-frame animation and that this would eventually change, he said "one thing at a time".
Shortly afterwards, he replied to someone who asked what was requested more, Debbie's pregnancy or the Odette/Grace threesome? Without hesitating, he said "Debbie's pregnancy, for sure". The Odette/Grace threesome is asked about once a month, while Debbie's is asked almost every day.

Dude, if people keep asking for Debbie that much, update her art! :HideThePain:

• Haha
Reactions: Count Morado

Maizemallard

Dec 24, 2019
I got no problem if the dev wants to add 300 characters to the game and shows the Mc full life actually sounds pretty rad, just no more useless tech updates that take years to Implement and require A complete do over, Other than that add as Much content you want. I dont think anyone would get mad if the Dev kept making new stories and characters, people would love that honestly lol. I think peope are just frustrated at how long the tech update took and the pay off being subpar, along with the missing feature. Did not make the best impression. Still I hope for the best, Even people that are mad dont want this game to actually fail, because at the end of the day people do like summertime saga

4.00 star(s) 365 Votes