itsyeboii

Aug 23, 2017
I don't think it could be more clear: Donations get you access to certain perks, and that's it. There's no promise of delivery, you're not funding a development pipeline, nothing. Kickstarter? Yes. Patreon? No.

I've never donated to a creator on Patreon, but I've never thought of the platform as funding a budget or anything like that. It's more just "Oh, you make good stuff. Here are a few dollars for your toil, much appreciated." I wouldn't expect anything in return. Just the opposite - I'd only consider donating after I saw the goods, as it were.
I mean it's still common sense that you're funding the creator's creations with your donations in one way or another. The Patreon pledge goals pretty much confirm that your pledge isn't a mere donation but a means of production. And the tier benefits you get are often geared towards future content.

You're not gonna tell me that the majority of people don't donate to support continued development of the game and would be completely fine if DC randomly announced the end of development.

I agree that a lot of people here misconstrue how Patreon works and end up saying completely wrong and ignorant things to criticize the game's development. But at the same time I never subscribed to the idea that DC's business being on Patreon makes him exempt from all criticism because it runs on donations so no-one is allowed to have any expectations or standards.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
But at the same time I never subscribed to the idea that DC's business being on Patreon makes him exempt from all criticism because it runs on donations so no-one is allowed to have any expectations or standards.
Neither have I, my thrust has been that people do need to keep in perspective the process of pledges when considering the structure and context of the criticism.

You're not gonna tell me that the majority of people don't donate to support continued development of the game and would be completely fine if DC randomly announced the end of development.
No, but that is the risk THEY are taking and theirs, alone. It is not ours to take on in our criticism of the work. And if a patron decides their pledge enables their need to say something, that is what their subscribers channel on the discord and patreon is for -- their pledge-supported benefit empowers them with direct access to the eyes and ears of the dev team. Here, DC has rarely communicated and this is not his platform for communication and on here no one truly knows if the person criticizing is doing so from their patron-position.

I know I'm preaching to the choir (meaning itsyeboii) on the following, but the millions on this site and the tens of millions across other sites get what we pay for (a free game that everyone has access to directly from the developer) and our criticism should be understood in that way (by us and from us).

4.00 star(s) 374 Votes