VN Ren'Py Abandoned Thaumarotica [v0.2] [Double Prolix]

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
A few matters:

1. is back up, at least until they force the issue with the ID thing. Just providing the option for people that don't want to go with Subscribestar for whatever reason. I'd recommend Subscribestar if you've got the choice, to avoid disruption if and when I have to drop the Patreon.

2. Version 0.2 now has a release date:

I'll update the OP with the new version sometime in January.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
A few matters:

1. is back up, at least until they force the issue with the ID thing. Just providing the option for people that don't want to go with Subscribestar for whatever reason. I'd recommend Subscribestar if you've got the choice, to avoid disruption if and when I have to drop the Patreon.

2. Version 0.2 now has a release date:

I'll update the OP with the new version sometime in January.
Awesome to hear you're able to keep going. TBH, I'd just drop Patreon altogether personally, but happy that it's active for you again. I've enjoyed the game so far. I look forward to where you take things from the first release.

• Red Heart
Reactions: DoubleProlix

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
Game has been updated to version 0.2. 120 new renders, four new extended scenes, new character introductions, and a sexy dream that goes horribly awry.

I was hoping to get to the end of Episode 1 with version 0.2, but felt like it'd been too long without a release. Should wrap up the end of the episode in version 0.3.

As always, if you like what I'm doing, consider supporting the project, joining the discord, give feedback, review the game, etc.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
When I saw this I thought it looked familiar but it wasn't on my harddrive. Once I downloaded it and started it I remembered it. I had tried it when V1 came out and wasn't impressed and erased it. For some reason, the little bit that this update adds has captured my interest. I have an "ignore" list and it wasn't on it, I must have just cleared disk space and it was on my "let's see what happens next update non-existent list :LOL:. I'm glad I checked, it looks like it might pan out to be something interesting, especially with the various possible paths. I tend to be irritatingly (according to friends and family) stoic, so I'm going to eventually have to play as myself, and as my opposite just to see the content.

FiremanRick

Jan 16, 2019
Glad you like where the game's headed! As far as blur goes, it's less "compression" than it is "denoiser."

The earlier renders (the "wake up hungover" and "go to work" scenes) used a less efficient denoiser and they look a good deal blurrier. I do have all the scenes saved, though, so when I have better hardware to work with I can quickly and easily re-do the worst looking renders.
The issue I see with your "pre-denoiser" file is that it needs to render longer. Are you using Daz3d? You might take a look at this plugin; I've had good success with it, especially for longer shots:

Might help you render longer, thereby ridding the image of the grain/noise so you don't have to denoise as severely.

- Rick

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
The issue I see with your "pre-denoiser" file is that it needs to render longer. Are you using Daz3d? You might take a look at this plugin; I've had good success with it, especially for longer shots:

Might help you render longer, thereby ridding the image of the grain/noise so you don't have to denoise as severely.

- Rick
When I started out I was using a 1060 card in a laptop. Would run hot, would crash if I rendered for too long. I was using scene-optimizer, but yeah... the hardware limitations are fierce.

Got a better video card now. Not the best, but I can get things done faster and don't worry about burning it out so can let renders go longer. I'll go back and re-render the old scenes eventually, but for now I'm focused on creating new content.

Any sex scenes As of now ??
Is it a stat based game ??
There are a few brief flashbacks and a dream sequence that gets interrupted. Like I say in the OP, it's a slow burn -
next version will have the option for some explicit voyeurism (depending on your choices), and you'll have more personal sexual encounters starting in (probably) 0.4.

There's no stat grind, if that's what you mean. The game does track the choices you make along two paths - neuroticism and stoicism. If you stick to one over the other, you grow more magically potent but find it harder to relate to normal society, and if you keep them balanced you have less power but find it easier to maintain relationships with regular people.

Allan Trumbull

Forum Fanatic
Sep 10, 2021
When I started out I was using a 1060 card in a laptop. Would run hot, would crash if I rendered for too long. I was using scene-optimizer, but yeah... the hardware limitations are fierce.

Got a better video card now. Not the best, but I can get things done faster and don't worry about burning it out so can let renders go longer. I'll go back and re-render the old scenes eventually, but for now I'm focused on creating new content.

There are a few brief flashbacks and a dream sequence that gets interrupted. Like I say in the OP, it's a slow burn -
next version will have the option for some explicit voyeurism (depending on your choices), and you'll have more personal sexual encounters starting in (probably) 0.4.

There's no stat grind, if that's what you mean. The game does track the choices you make along two paths - neuroticism and stoicism. If you stick to one over the other, you grow more magically potent but find it harder to relate to normal society, and if you keep them balanced you have less power but find it easier to maintain relationships with regular people.
There Will be numerical Stats ?? (I prefer it) or Flagpoints only ??

• Angry
Reactions: Anonymous100

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
There Will be numerical Stats ?? (I prefer it) or Flagpoints only ??
The only two stats are Neuroticism and Stoicism. When you make very emotional choices, you get Neuroticism points. When you make very unemotional choices, you get Stoicism points. The ratio between these two stats determines your "Balance." Balance is a deciding factor in a lot of occult/magic stuff, and how people generally react to you.

Reactions: Allan Trumbull

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
You may already be aware of this, DoubleProlix, but FYI there is a missing image if you're at work cleaning up and tell Virginia "I can explain!". It could just be that the image is misnamed; I didn't really look into it.

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
Okay, first dev log in a while, but this is a big shift so buckle up.

Ren'Py 8 is out and it's using a Python 3 codebase and that means I'm going to have to recode some business. I've also been working on an update for Power Corrupts/Paragon as a side project, but dual-wielding two major projects was slowing me down a lot. Since I need to refactor a bunch I'm going to just combine the two game projects into one using an isekai mechanic/game element, along with some other game ideas that were distracting me.

So what does this mean in a practical sense? Well, I've rewritten the game story to include world-jumping (or phasing or whatever you want to call it) aspects, and this enables me to reuse some of the ideas, characters, and other work from Power Corrupts. The game's intro has been rewritten and I'm working on new renders - which suits me fine because the first renders I made were kind of shitty anyway (see the above post!)

So the next Thaumarotica release is going to include almost entirely new content (though many of the same characters) and I might change the name - and not only because a lot of people were finding "Thaumarotica" confusing.

No timeline on when this is going to be out yet, because again, Renpy 8 is new to me. Might not require a lot of adjustment, might require a shit ton - we'll see!

Feb 21, 2022
I just followed the link from Power Corrupts: Paragon; a pity that game was abandoned. Are you planning any M/M content for this one? Tags don't say it's planned.

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
I'm actually going to be including a lot of the work I was doing for Paragon in what I'm working on. Not sure about M/M content; it's not integral to the main story but there may be options for bisexual playthroughs if players pursue those activities.