• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

madmate.games

Game Developer
Jan 19, 2020
this wasn't sandbox in the beginning was it or did I miss the tag?
Tag was there from the beginning. I don't recall if I was the one who put it there or a mod after reading one of my replies (if that is the case, thank you so much, unknown mod, apparently you saved me a LOT of trouble).

Now, on the broader subject of sandbox...

Yes, sandbox is in the game. No, there won't be any grinding, no visit this NPC at that and that time of day etc... Sandbox implementation will be story specific - to see what I'm talking about check out the heist scene in my other game Robbin' Hoods. In essence some locations may be opened up for exploration and you will have to navigate them and do stuff in them.

All that being said, I will implement a function (probably connected to a switch in Preferences, but I'll think about it some more) that will skip the sandbox parts of the story and assume you either made choices that are fitting to the way you developed your character or random ones if you play a balanced character, or if player stats are irrelevant for said choices.

Quite a small update in 2 months, sadly
This update is 20% larger than the last one, and on top of that has animations (of dubious quality) peppered in. If it seems shorter that is because there's more choices in it. You can't have a dynamic story, rich scenes and fast release dates, or at least not with my capabilities and resources :D

It also helps that she's got nice legs.

The changelog mentions that some choices don't have effects in this update, but there seem to be some rather big choices with consequences (keeping in mind that this update isn't the longest) especially concerning the Doc. E.g. having sex with her or not and telling Zoey about it or not.
I didn't really notice any other choices that should've had effects. Is this about hidden effects like stat changes?

I think I'm going to have nightmares, because the game made me click on a fridge.
There are actually quite a lot of hidden effects. Read the reply below as well.
Does the changlog for 0.3 mean that saves will break next update? I guess it's better to just wait then.
I'm planning to do a lot of overhauling for next release, but saves will stay backwards compatible. That being said, there will be some re-balancing as well, so if you are a stat-hog, you might want to replay the game.

Nice, more contend released and already consumed;)
I liked the Doc and how you interacted about the whole "mythos" way. A good point was brought up during the conversation.
Does "Otherkin" exists in the game too ? I cant remember Zoey admitting or denying of werewolfs or something similar.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

madmate.games

Game Developer
Jan 19, 2020
Funny, but the thing which fills me with dread is not sandbox, but "redesign". I've seen far, far, FAR too many games go into the redesign loop and never recover.
It's a technical redesign (which stats to track, how do they work, how much choices affect them and which ones, a lot of stuff behind the scenes, UI elements etc.), story and engine remains the same.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
This is a visual novel .. reading pages of exposition is for a plain novel, ok?
Part of the term visual novel is the word novel, though. Novels (visual or traditional) provide text for more than just dialogue, and they should generally provide backstory which includes some level of lore in fantastical or science fiction settings. Vampires are urban fantasy-horror, so I would expect backstory / lore to be available at least.

IMO this latest release handled this very well; you can make the choice by way of menu to omit a bunch of Alys' analysis and lore if you choose. And, like I said before, you can always use Ren'Py's Skip to get through it in seconds — and that's if you choose to get the more detailed information. I really don't understand the complaint about that in this game. If you don't want to read, choose not to get the more detailed stuff when Alys asks, and then skip whatever you get that you still don't want.

COLLECTOR_69

Aug 22, 2021
Here is my Android PORT for The Bite: Revenant [v0.3] [madmate.games]

Android Port :

Hope you Enjoy it & drop a LIKE!!!

• Love
Reactions: Azazel_777

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Thank you for a couple a cold facts ... hats off to you from a comic book avid reader.
Part of the term visual novel is the word novel, though. Novels (visual or traditional) provide text for more than just dialogue, and they should generally provide backstory which includes some level of lore in fantastical or science fiction settings. Vampires are urban fantasy-horror, so I would expect backstory / lore to be available at least.

IMO this latest release handled this very well; you can make the choice by way of menu to omit a bunch of Alys' analysis and lore if you choose. And, like I said before, you can always use Ren'Py's Skip to get through it in seconds — and that's if you choose to get the more detailed information. I really don't understand the complaint about that in this game. If you don't want to read, choose not to get the more detailed stuff when Alys asks, and then skip whatever you get that you still don't want.
If you're a kid who only likes picture books, sure. Meanwhile, those who aren't, grasp the concept that writing and , le gasp, even whole stories, are in visual NOVELS.

Seventh Field

Nov 23, 2019
Sorry. Is this game really short for 2gb or is my game bugged? I swear it had half an hour of content... I got up to the baby vampire girl going to sleep in the car.

ded inside

Jan 3, 2019
This update is 20% larger than the last one, and on top of that has animations (of dubious quality) peppered in. If it seems shorter that is because there's more choices in it. You can't have a dynamic story, rich scenes and fast release dates, or at least not with my capabilities and resources :D
I didn't mean to offend, I like the game, but to be honest I was hoping for more content, but life is unfair

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I'm planning to do a lot of overhauling for next release, but saves will stay backwards compatible. That being said, there will be some re-balancing as well, so if you are a stat-hog, you might want to replay the game.
That's cool. Don't beat yourself over trying to maintain save compatibility at all costs though. If there is some serious tweaking needed, doing it now when it's still in the early versions would be better.

L3z1l3

Aug 19, 2018
I loved this update just like the previous ones.
The Doc is cool and sexy. I wonder if having sex with her will make it impossible to get together with Zoey or there will be some harem route?

The only problem with the update is that it was too short.

As for the small sandbox part at the end. I don't mind sandbox games if they are not unnecessarily grindy. We will see if the game changes to sandbox after this or it remains a story driven VN with some sandbox sections maybe.
However I noticed one of the doors was a guest room. So, I guess someone will move in with us sooner or later and it's not Zoey. I wonder who it will be.

ded inside

Jan 3, 2019
I'm sorry to point out the obvious, but that's not life being unfair.
That's just failing to manage your own expectations.
It's a pretty simple equation:
More content = more work = more time.
Less content = less work = less time.

When there are branches, you will only get to see "some" of the content, depending on your path choice.
*Unless you make a double save & choose to play out the other path, as well.
I'm sorry to point out the obvious, but I don't care about your opinion. I wrote what I think, and I am not going to elaborate:cool:

ded inside

Jan 3, 2019
I have not presented an opinion. Only you have done that. :FacePalm:
What I presented are facts that disprove your opinion. Learn the difference, it helps.
Why did you expect more? Did the dev give you that impression? Or did you just arrive at some arbitrary amount of content expected, on your own?
It's your own, personal, expectation. It's not on the dev to meet it. It's on you to manage it.

I'll give my opinion now: Your opinion about the "lack of content" is baseless garbage & is caused by your own inability to manage your own expectations.
Error Code: PEBCAK. (y)
I wrote objective information, you didn't like it and started replaying me. question: why?

Weyrd

Feb 23, 2021
It is fun, well written, a bit short and I would like a bit more knowledge/choices in why the MC is doing what he is doing. I feel it is very much just a story. It is well written and has a fun approach to the vamp idea.
And I also feel that it has the feel of VTMB (oh I played version 0.3)

Ahx

Jul 9, 2021
I'm sorry to point out the obvious, but that's not life being unfair.
That's just failing to manage your own expectations.
It's a pretty simple equation:
More content = more work = more time.
Less content = less work = less time.
Can i borrow one of those equations ...?
'Cause I'd like to use it on the wvm thread and a couple of others.
Thank you.

Reactions: whichone
4.50 star(s) 69 Votes