VN Ren'Py The Cabin - Summer Vacation - Development Thread

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
logo.png
Hey Pervs and Pervets, I'm Luke from CellStudios and I wanted to quickly pop on with a brief of a game I've been working on.

I've been working on the game for about 2-3 weeks now and I plan to spend a lot more time on it before the release. It's early days right now and I don't have much done, I have the script for episode 1 finished and I'm about a quarter of the way through episode 2's script. I've also got around 150 renders set up and ready to render, although I really want to get all of them set up before I start the rendering phase, not sure if this is a good idea or not, I've done a few test renders and all looks good so far. At the moment I don't have any renders in terms of scenes to show but as I go through the development and as I do test renders I'll be sure to add them in here. My plan for the game is to have a minimum of 1,000 renders done for episode 1.

I also don't have a release date in mind yet, like I said it's still early days but I'd probably expect a release for around March. I know that might seem like a ways off but I'll be spending most of that time setting up the renders, furthering the script for future episodes and basically just planning everything out.

Char4.jpg
The above are previews of what the characters will look like, I still need to put a little work into Mom and Aunt to make them look a little older but I think they look ok as is for now.

The Story:
The game starts like many others, you find yourself at the start of summer vacation, with having nothing planned for the summer you decide on traveling, as apposed to working like any responsible person would do. You have thoughts of the places you want to go, the things you want to do, one day you could be hiking and the next you could be sky diving, the limits were endless. Fate had other plans for you though, it seems your Mothers drinking has finally caught up with her. She wasn't always a drunk, she used to be a great Mom, loving, thoughtful, the kind people take for granted. A couple years back though, she changed, as if out of the blue, she started drinking which in turn made her angry and aggressive. It's as if out of nowhere you went from being her special little guy to the cause of all her anger, but you didn't mind, you'd take the hits just so your Sister didn't have to. You would always come home from school to the sound of Mom shouting at your Sister in the kitchen, and like the great Brother you are, you'd step in and take the blows, you always felt guilty for not getting there sooner, for not protecting her from your Mothers verbal rampage. One day she took it to far, your Father was always working and when he'd get home he was welcomes by a passed out wife in various different places. Sometimes she'd be in bed, others she'd be slouched by the toilet with vomit all over the place. After 3 years though he'd had enough and decided it was time for him to move on with his life. He did something rather unexpected though, I knew he'd one day grow tired of her but I thought he'd pack a bag and just leave, instead he packed her bag and made her leave which she of course forced me and my Sister to go with her. I guess that's my summer vacation ruined then, no traveling for me, as if I could just up and leave, leaving my Sister with my monster of a Mother. We all got in the car and started driving to my Aunts place. You haven't seen your Aunt in years and all you really know about her is she lives in the middle of the woods in a cabin, you thought it was an old decrepit thing but you was plesently surprised to find a new modern cabin upon your arival. You spend the next day going to town and just messing around with your Sister, your Mom and Aunt stay in the cabin as Mom isn't quite over drinking and your Aunt is trying to calm her down a bit and trying to get her to stop. What Dad, MC and Sister don't know is that Mom actually has a pretty damn good reason for drinking, something bad happened to her a few years back, something she's can't tell anyone but Aunt. Sadly a side effect to her drinking is her anger, she's a mean drunk. The game will eventually take more of a sinister turn , without going into to much detail, just expect the unexpected.

Possible Tags/Fetishes:
The game is going to focus on the story above all else, these tags are things I have planned and what could possibly be implemented.

- Incest
- Love
- Adventure
- Horror
- Pregnancy ( possibly, not sure yet, there will be a character that's not family who'll be pregnant though )
- Murder
- Harem
- Drunk/Passed Out/Sleeping

There will of course be more than this, but at this early stage that's what I have planned out.
Also, as stated above, the game is going to focus on the story and any sex/nudity will be in tone with the game. You already have an astablished sense of love with Sister but you'll have to work on turning that into a sexual relationship, same as with Mom and Aunt. Mom somewhat hates you to begin with but you'll eventually be understanding to her and gain her affection.

Final Words:
As I said above I don't really have any sample renders to show, I normally do test renders but don't save them so I'll be sure to save a couple of my next test renders.

As for the release, as I said I'd expect it to be around March some time, that's just for the first release, once the first is out the release dates will then be monthly.

I also plan on designing a new logo.

Sample Images:

E1P1_001.jpg

( More samples coming soon! )

Not all sample images will be in the final game, some still need tweaks and changes.

Last edited:

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - Thought I'd jump on and give an update as to what I've been doing and when you can all expect a release.

First of all I don't expect a release any time soon, I'm thinking March maybe April before I get it out, but I promise it won't be one of those 10 image demo's we see a lot of, so far I have around 350 renders set up and still have a shit ton more to do. I want to make sure episode 1 has at least 500-700 renders and I also want to have scripts done for version 2 & 3 ready before I release the game.

Another thing I've been looking into is a new logo, the old one looked a little odd so after spending hours trying to come up with something cool, I decided it, fuck it I'll just do a simple one :p doesn't need to be awesome, just not grotesque.

logo.png
The above is what I settled on.

Something else I have been working on is a new design for the Mom character, as you can see from the original post her skin was to dark ( not in a racist way ), just didn't reflect light well, so, I came up with a new design.

new_mom.png
She's not 100% done but she looks better than the original and reflects light really well.

And that's pretty much what I've been up to, I'll post below a couple of sample images so you can see what else I've been working on, but keep in mind they are sample renders, so the quality is really low as I render for a few minutes to test lights and see if anything is clipping.

ran1.png
( This image needs work with the lighting and her head clipping the pillow, also the arm clipping the pajamas )

yawn.png
( This image needs the sun changing, not a fan of the color and also need to add in some point lights, might change the camera angle to )

light1.png
( This image was used for lighting tests, I need to change the lights on this one still but it's getting there )

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Looking good so far.

Try using that new Mesh Grabber plugin for daz (in the asset releases) to deform the pillow under the Pyjama chick's head.

Also look into the "Clothing fixer" or "Fit Control" cleavage fixers (i think by SickleYield and zev respectively) to make the red tanktop sit more naturally across Rosie The Riveter's boobs.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Looking good so far.

Try using that new Mesh Grabber plugin for daz (in the asset releases) to deform the pillow under the Pyjama chick's head.

Also look into the "Clothing fixer" or "Fit Control" cleavage fixers (i think by SickleYield and zev respectively) to make the red tanktop sit more naturally across Rosie The Riveter's boobs.
Cheers for the info, I tried a clothing fit with the new mom and I got a slightly better result that I normally do but for some reason when I turn it into a dforce opject and simulate it the top scrunches up, I've also tried fit control and that doesn't seem to work for me, will have to watch a video on it :p

Will also look into the Mesh Grabber, the dev who made the bed did both a single and double & on the double you can adjust the pillows, weird how it made it so you can't on the singles.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 04-01-2020

With using different characters I've notice that something I never did was test render them all together with different variations of lighting, turns out this was a big mistake as none of the skin tones matched up. As I result I had to redesign the character skins but by doing that they then didn't match up with the characters faces so I opted to just redesign the entire cast.

new.png

They still need slight tweaks but in all I'm happy, not sure about MC's eyes & Aunt's face though, I tried to make aunt a little less hot than mom but I went a little to far with it. It's also really hard to add age to the characters, there no default setting to say "this character should look 46, this one should look 32" which is quite annoying, they either all look 18-22 or they all look 90 :p

new2.png

Also did some work on the Dad character, decided to make him thinner as I figured a fat dude wouldn't want to give up an attractive wife over a little drinking ( and yes, I can fat shame as I'm fat to, double standard :p ).

I've also setup a patreon page for the development, I've not added any tiers as I'm not looking for patrons at the moment, just followers during the start so you can all easily vote on polls.

patreon.com/cellstudios

As I said, not looking for patrons, just followers to help with polls ect hence the lack of tiers.

Pagdor

Sep 11, 2017
Here eyes look ok to me. But I liked the blonde hair better if only for the variation.
If you are worried about here eyes however maybe you can just add a story element that she doesn't sleep very well.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Here eyes look ok to me. But I liked the blonde hair better if only for the variation.
If you are worried about here eyes however maybe you can just add a story element that she doesn't sleep very well.
That's a good idea with the story element, would actually fit in nicely with what I've already planned.

I also tried the blonde hair on her with this new look but it didn't suit her to well, I'll probably do a few test renders of her with different coloured hair and let people vote on which they prefer.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 07-01-2020

Been fixing a lot of issues with lighting today and I think I got some scenes looking a lot better, managed to make the shadows softer in some areas and no crazy skin issues which is awesome.

pre3.png
( Originally there was really dark shadows on the back wall and her skin looked really dark. Her eyes also had a massive which reflection from the source light which I've managed to lower. Her eyes still need aligning to the camera but I'm happy with the general look of it. )

pre2.png
( This scene wasn't originally in the game but I wanted to try something new and couldn't pass on adding this into the game as I really like the lighting on her-ermm, well, her lady bits :p )

pre1.png
( Another lighting test scene, still needs a little work as I don't think the sun light is sharp enough just yet. )

I've also had an idea change for the story, the game will be horror and have some murder in it but after having a sleepness night last night I just lay in bed thinking about plot ideas and I had a doozy of an idea, obviously can't share to much just yet but I think the new plot idea is way better than the original, can't wait for you guys to play it.

I've also had another think about relationships and having read a few negative reviews of others games I seen most games follow the same pattern, main character randomly wants to fuck his family with no real reason why and no back story or good build up to it. Which is why with The Cabin you'll start off having no feelings for any of the characters in the game, or at least, no sexual feeling, you'll love them as a family sure but you've never really thought of them romantically before & you won't really start to like them romantically until the 2nd/3rd release of the game as what I have planned with require a good build up.

Will post more previews in a few days :)

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Looking good.

One comment about the sister character; whenever I see such a strong, masculine jawline, it makes me think of trans men. quite a few of the daz models you see on renderosity are clearly based on male body/face geometry and have the same problem.

of course, if you like the cleft chin etc... well i guess angelina jolie pulls it off, but mainly because her lips and other facial feature are so strongly feminine.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Looking good.

One comment about the sister character; whenever I see such a strong, masculine jawline, it makes me think of trans men. quite a few of the daz models you see on renderosity are clearly based on male body/face geometry and have the same problem.

of course, if you like the cleft chin etc... well i guess angelina jolie pulls it off, but mainly because her lips and other facial feature are so strongly feminine.
I didn't really think of her looking "trans" or anything like a guy, but now you mention it, it's all I can see xD

Might have to take a little trip back to the drawing board :p

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
newsisprev.png

Made some changes to the sister character and I think I prefer this to the old, I'm just not sure what color hair to go for. I'm leaning more towards the brown but I feel there should be a blonde character, that being said, blonde really goes with her skin tone so I'm really stuck on this :p

Pagdor

Sep 11, 2017
Kinda stuck here. Dark hair makes sense because her brother and mother both have dark hair, but with dark hair she looks kinda like someone I know in the real world. Which could get a bit creepy for me paying the game. But I imagine thats not really an issue for most people. :sneaky:

RaXorX

Dec 24, 2018
Kinda stuck here. Dark hair makes sense because her brother and mother both have dark hair, but with dark hair she looks kinda like someone I know in the real world. Which could get a bit creepy for me paying the game. But I imagine thats not really an issue for most people. :sneaky:
Just had to reply to this. Considering the word creepy, I can assume there's some history with this supposed lookalike person. And then looking at the tags, the relation between the characters, I can only say this. It should be just more interesting for you if you're in that kind of stuff, isn't that just a blast for you

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Her Dad's got dark hair to so I see what you're saying, but if we do go blonde she could just dye it, maybe make it blonde with dark roots or something.

Might be creepy but she must be hot :p

Just had to reply to this. Considering the word creepy, I can assume there's some history with this supposed lookalike person. And then looking at the tags, the relation between the characters, I can only say this. It should be just more interesting for you if you're in that kind of stuff, isn't that just a blast for you
I agree, if I found a game with a character that looked like someone I knew I'd be all over it xD

Pagdor

Sep 11, 2017
Well I guess that's the difference between me and you guys then. :) In the real world when I look at a girl young enough to be my daughter/grand daughter I tend not to want a chubby in my dacks. Happy to see/do it in a game however. :)

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Well I guess that's the difference between me and you guys then. :) In the real world when I look at a girl young enough to be my daughter/grand daughter I tend not to want a chubby in my dacks. Happy to see/do it in a game however. :)
Ah, we didn't have any age context before, guess that makes more sense now :p

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 11-01-2020

Spent the last few days fixing light issues and adding all the new characters back in the scenes, had to redo most of it to add the characters and to add a new lighting technique I've just learnt.

rand4.png
Some lighting still looks a little blah but I'm sure I can spice it up a little.

rand5.png
Lighting on this is a little bright, needs adjusting and also there's no good light reflection on the skin for this so need to fix that to.

rand6.png
Image is a little grainy, didn't leave it to render long enough to need to bump that up a little. Also MC is rather dark to need tolight him up a little to.

Probably going to be spending the next few days doing the same as the last few, fixing lighting issues and adding in the new characters.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote