VN Ren'Py The Cabin - Summer Vacation - Development Thread

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

ZomgRAWR

Apr 22, 2018
Just found this and holy crap I'm impressed! Characters look great, story is well thought out, should be easy to let it flow. Cannot wait to see where this leads my man. And for the love of god, don't get discouraged---We all want you to see this through! It's been a while since the last grand incestual Ren'Py adventure, best of luck!

Reactions: xXwankerXx

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Just found this and holy crap I'm impressed! Characters look great, story is well thought out, should be easy to let it flow. Cannot wait to see where this leads my man. And for the love of god, don't get discouraged---We all want you to see this through! It's been a while since the last grand incestual Ren'Py adventure, best of luck!
Thanks man, means a lot, I don't really have much else going on in life so I can't see myself quitting the game, unless I actually go out and get a life, which I can't see happening any time soon so we should be good, lol.

Also, no sure how mods react to reviews of a game without the game having been out already so you might want to watch out, really appreciate the review though, really means a lot and the perfect motivation for me to keep going :D

• Haha
Reactions: Blah Blah Blah

ZomgRAWR

Apr 22, 2018
Thanks man, means a lot, I don't really have much else going on in life so I can't see myself quitting the game, unless I actually go out and get a life, which I can't see happening any time soon so we should be good, lol.

Also, no sure how mods react to reviews of a game without the game having been out already so you might want to watch out, really appreciate the review though, really means a lot and the perfect motivation for me to keep going :D
Review of the game? No no no, this isn't a game yet, just reviewing some artwork on a discussion thread about the possibility of a game. Now if there was a game or demo to be released, then I would update my review to reflect.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 17-01-2020

Been a while since my last update but that's simply because I've been updating all the ready made scenes with the new characters and fixing any lighting issues there was.

Speaking of new characters, I decided on a new design for Aunt, well, it's not really a new design, just a new skin to help her eyes look a little more alive and give her skin some new tone.

new_aunt.png

Now with her re-done we now have our official final family.

new_fam.png
The 4 characters above are the final characters and I won't be re-doing any of them anymore, these 4 and the Dad character shown in a previous update and the 5 main characters.

I've also done some more test renders which still need work but there coming along nicely.

rand7.png
Need to add a new dim light source infront of Dad to take away some of those shadows and help his eyes pop, there is a lamp on the desk infront of him that's turned off so I may turn that on just to kill a few shadows.

rand8.png
This is them arriving at the cabin, it's supposed to be a night scene but I'm not getting a night feel from it, it's blue sure but is night actually blue? might just make it darker and use the cabin lights to project the lights forward onto them.

I'll be back in a couple days with some more previews and more news :)

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 17-01-2020

Second little update for today, I was going to leave it for the next one but I like the character design and really want to share it :)

As you possibly saw on the main post, one of the games tags will be 'Horror', now I'm not expecting the game to be scary in any way, it just involves murder and some mystery hence the horror tag.

I wanted to introduce you guys to "The Stranger" ( working title :p ), he'll play a mayjor role in episode 2 of the game and possibly other episodes to.

stranger_1.png

I'm still not sure how I want to handle the murder in the game just yet, it'll either be:

1. A Single Murder - There will only be 1 murder, after which it'll leave the family distraught and looking for comfort from one another leading to the sex/incest side of it.
  2. Supernatual Murder - More of a Friday the 13th type of scenario leading to the family being mentally and emotionally distraught which again leads to the sex/incest but with this version there will be more murders and more gore.
I'll be sure to update you guys either way, if you have any thoughts on which you'd prefer to see let me know :)

Reactions: Mikedazz1

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 20-01-2020

Was a little bit of a slow weekend, spent is gaming with friends mostly but I did get a little work done. It's actually taking me a lot longer than I thought it would to fix lighting issues and add in the new characters, which is why I'm going to make sure I get it all done this week, just going to smash it out.

rand10.png
First sample render with the new Aunt, think she looks better than the old one but her eyes still look dull, kind of like it though, might work it into the story, maybe she's lost a lost of sleep because of weird things happening around the cabin.

menu.png
Worked on a main menu image but I'm not sure I like it, it's not scary enough for my liking so going to rework it a little.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Like this one very much....keep up the good work. And take your time with it.
Cheers :) I've seen a lot of games fail because the devs either rushed into the sex or focused to much on the sex and not enough on the story. People don't seem to take there time either, rush out a 5 min demo with the main character fucking his mom in the first few scenes. Trying my best to just chill and take my time :p

Oct 24, 2017
Development Update - 04-01-2020

With using different characters I've notice that something I never did was test render them all together with different variations of lighting, turns out this was a big mistake as none of the skin tones matched up. As I result I had to redesign the character skins but by doing that they then didn't match up with the characters faces so I opted to just redesign the entire cast.

View attachment 506796

They still need slight tweaks but in all I'm happy, not sure about MC's eyes & Aunt's face though, I tried to make aunt a little less hot than mom but I went a little to far with it. It's also really hard to add age to the characters, there no default setting to say "this character should look 46, this one should look 32" which is quite annoying, they either all look 18-22 or they all look 90 :p

View attachment 506798

Also did some work on the Dad character, decided to make him thinner as I figured a fat dude wouldn't want to give up an attractive wife over a little drinking ( and yes, I can fat shame as I'm fat to, double standard :p ).

I've also setup a patreon page for the development, I've not added any tiers as I'm not looking for patrons at the moment, just followers during the start so you can all easily vote on polls.

patreon.com/cellstudios

As I said, not looking for patrons, just followers to help with polls ect hence the lack of tiers.
This game is looking promising so far and I look forward to trying out the first release. Honestly, I think the character models are well done and unique. I love MILFS, and the mom definitely appeals to me! The aunt is pretty hot, too, though if you changed anything about her, I would recommend the hair colour and/or adding some eyeliner. Anyway, good luck with this game! All you need is an idea that stands out a bit and some hot renders. (y)

EDIT: Never mind about what I said about the aunt. I like her eyes in the later images. However, if she wants to put on makeup in future updates/scenes, I wouldn't be opposed.

By the way, I think you should do a stalking theme for the killer. Whatever his motive, there's a killer on the loose. Maybe give some details about a family he stalked and killed over a deliberate long time or something. This accomplishes three things that most VNs do not...

1) It creates a tense atmosphere for the audience. With the dramatic irony, we know that someone dangerous is out there, but the characters are initially aloof or feel unthreatened.
2) It develops a realistic dynamic for the characters. Everyone's aloof at first, but then dad disappears. Blood's been found outside. Whose? Footprints leading to the shed. A stranger in the backyard. All of this stuff ramps the tension. The police are stumped. Your family's scared, placed in an incredibly vulnerable position.
3) It establishes an intriguing mystery for the reader to solve. Who is the killer? Why has he targeted this family? Is it random? Maybe these questions won't be answered, leaving the killer's identity mysterious (e.g., like Billy in the original Black Christmas). This is one reason why I think Black Christmas is the best horror film ever crafted.

One last thing - I can help with the writing and/or the grammar if you'd like. I don't expect anything in return; I just think you could create something very original here.

Last edited:

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
This game is looking promising so far and I look forward to trying out the first release. Honestly, I think the character models are well done and unique. I love MILFS, and the mom definitely appeals to me! The aunt is pretty hot, too, though if you changed anything about her, I would recommend the hair colour and/or adding some eyeliner. Anyway, good luck with this game! All you need is an idea that stands out a bit and some hot renders. (y)

EDIT: Never mind about what I said about the aunt. I like her eyes in the later images. However, if she wants to put on makeup in future updates/scenes, I wouldn't be opposed.

By the way, I think you should do a stalking theme for the killer. Whatever his motive, there's a killer on the loose. Maybe give some details about a family he stalked and killed over a deliberate long time or something. This accomplishes three things that most VNs do not...

1) It creates a tense atmosphere for the audience. With the dramatic irony, we know that someone dangerous is out there, but the characters are initially aloof or feel unthreatened.
2) It develops a realistic dynamic for the characters. Everyone's aloof at first, but then dad disappears. Blood's been found outside. Whose? Footprints leading to the shed. A stranger in the backyard. All of this stuff ramps the tension. The police are stumped. Your family's scared, placed in an incredibly vulnerable position.
3) It establishes an intriguing mystery for the reader to solve. Who is the killer? Why has he targeted this family? Is it random? Maybe these questions won't be answered, leaving the killer's identity mysterious (e.g., like Billy in the original Black Christmas). This is one reason why I think Black Christmas is the best horror film ever crafted.

One last thing - I can help with the writing and/or the grammar if you'd like. I don't expect anything in return; I just think you could create something very original here.
Thanks for the info, I have the introduction of the killer planner out, it will be a bit of a mystery who he is and I didn't really have plans for a back story on him but I think that's a good idea, will help give a little insite into why he's a killer and what he's done before.

As for Aunt with some make-up, I'm not a massive make-up guy myself but maybe if they all go out for a meal or something she can whip some on, lol, I've actually done done another test render with her, it's a night scene and you can kind of see her age around the eyes.

aunt.png
Might need to open it in a new window to zoom in to get the age effects :p

As for the writing though, I'm not really looking for a write just yet, could for sure use a spell checker though when I'm ready for release, I hardly ever spell check, lol.

Oct 24, 2017
Thanks for the info, I have the introduction of the killer planner out, it will be a bit of a mystery who he is and I didn't really have plans for a back story on him but I think that's a good idea, will help give a little insite into why he's a killer and what he's done before.

As for Aunt with some make-up, I'm not a massive make-up guy myself but maybe if they all go out for a meal or something she can whip some on, lol, I've actually done done another test render with her, it's a night scene and you can kind of see her age around the eyes.

View attachment 524925
Might need to open it in a new window to zoom in to get the age effects :p

As for the writing though, I'm not really looking for a write just yet, could for sure use a spell checker though when I'm ready for release, I hardly ever spell check, lol.
Okay, I see. Well, keep some of that stuff in mind for later. I just think it would make your VN stand out - the story would be unique and intriguing compared to most games in this format, and character actions would be a lot more realistic. Keep the killer in central focus (not necessarily with 0.1, but definitely in the future), slowly antagonizing the characters as they are left in more and more suspense and fear.

The mother's got a dark backstory related to her alcoholism, it seems. Could she know the killer? Was he involved in her past? I think the best approach is to provide enough information that the murder and events leading up to it don't seem entirely random, but still interesting. Same with the mother's drinking problem. Keep the reader guessing! Create a backstory for the killer that only you know and DON'T reveal every detail you create; let the reader connect some dots. They can come to the wrong conclusion compared to your script, or maybe the right one. That's the fun of it. Let us share wild theories with each other and your game will blow up.

Your renders are fantastic, btw. The aunt looks HOT here! Keep the quality as it is (no compression) and you'll have great 3D art on your hands. I hate when some developers compress their images too much. Their games tend not to last past 0.1 or 0.2, though. :ROFLMAO:

Haha I can help with the grammar.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
IF I may offer some advice. Use it or not totally up to you...

Don't create too much expectation by asking what we/players think of i so far. Creating expectation will put a lot of strain on you and create just that.. expectation that you may not be able to fulfil. Hopefully you will.

Don't also ask too many how is this or that questions. Too much info can spoil the broth.

Keep a good chunk of the game secret and a surprise to us all and i don't mean show us The Stranger and say "That is all about him". Personally i would not have mentioned him but its out now.

As i say, way back DocP gave me above advise and RogueKnight did similar. Both were right.

But it's just my opinion. So far what you have looks great. The story and the edge with the mom is interesting. Also you used models from pretty famous games and tweaked them which is good.

Looking forward to play .. but take your time and dont rush...

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Okay, I see. Well, keep some of that stuff in mind for later. I just think it would make your VN stand out - the story would be unique and intriguing compared to most games in this format, and character actions would be a lot more realistic. Keep the killer in central focus (not necessarily with 0.1, but definitely in the future), slowly antagonizing the characters as they are left in more and more suspense and fear.

The mother's got a dark backstory related to her alcoholism, it seems. Could she know the killer? Was he involved in her past? I think the best approach is to provide enough information that the murder and events leading up to it don't seem entirely random, but still interesting. Same with the mother's drinking problem. Keep the reader guessing! Create a backstory for the killer that only you know and DON'T reveal every detail you create; let the reader connect some dots. They can come to the wrong conclusion compared to your script, or maybe the right one. That's the fun of it. Let us share wild theories with each other and your game will blow up.

Your renders are fantastic, btw. The aunt looks HOT here! Keep the quality as it is (no compression) and you'll have great 3D art on your hands. I hate when some developers compress their images too much. Their games tend not to last past 0.1 or 0.2, though. :ROFLMAO:

Haha I can help with the grammar.
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it :)

IF I may offer some advice. Use it or not totally up to you...

Don't create too much expectation by asking what we/players think of i so far. Creating expectation will put a lot of strain on you and create just that.. expectation that you may not be able to fulfil. Hopefully you will.

Don't also ask too many how is this or that questions. Too much info can spoil the broth.

Keep a good chunk of the game secret and a surprise to us all and i don't mean show us The Stranger and say "That is all about him". Personally i would not have mentioned him but its out now.

As i say, way back DocP gave me above advise and RogueKnight did similar. Both were right.

But it's just my opinion. So far what you have looks great. The story and the edge with the mom is interesting. Also you used models from pretty famous games and tweaked them which is good.

Looking forward to play .. but take your time and dont rush...
I'm new to all this hence all the questions, just want to make sure I get it right I guess.

But thanks for the info, will keep it in mind, I don't really think sharing The Strange is an issue though, I understand about keeping the mystery of it all and all I'm going to say is 2 things, the first being the strange isn't who/what you think he is & second being there is still a lot about him I haven't shared, he has a lot of mysteries still to share when the game is released.

That being said, I've still not picked a path, I've got the script for episode 1 finished and half way into episode 2 and where I'm at right now it could go either way, I'm leaning to more of a supernatural game, more of a Friday the 13th style, I didn't think people would prefer this path but the more I think about it, it may not be "realistic" but at the same time it offers more in terms of story and just because I'm going that route doesn't necessarily mean it won't be realistic.

Really appreciate the help though guys, really appreciate it.

timepants

God of Time (and Pants)
Donor
Game Developer
May 12, 2017
Development Update - 20-01-2020

Was a little bit of a slow weekend, spent is gaming with friends mostly but I did get a little work done. It's actually taking me a lot longer than I thought it would to fix lighting issues and add in the new characters, which is why I'm going to make sure I get it all done this week, just going to smash it out.

View attachment 523370
First sample render with the new Aunt, think she looks better than the old one but her eyes still look dull, kind of like it though, might work it into the story, maybe she's lost a lost of sleep because of weird things happening around the cabin.

View attachment 523371
Worked on a main menu image but I'm not sure I like it, it's not scary enough for my liking so going to rework it a little.
Maybe a reverse shot of this looking at the killer's face through the glass. You can use a little depth of field to blur the image a bit. How about positioning a potential victim in the foreground inside unaware that he's looking at her and we can just make him out holding an axe behind the glass?

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Maybe a reverse shot of this looking at the killer's face through the glass. You can use a little depth of field to blur the image a bit. How about positioning a potential victim in the foreground inside unaware that he's looking at her and we can just make him out holding an axe behind the glass?
I'm actually having second thoughts about having him on the menu, but at the same time I'm like what you suggested, lol.

I think I've finally picked a path with how I want the story to go so I probably will go with what you suggested.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
With all of these nice development previews and such, I'm surprised you have no posts at all on your Patreon. I know you said you weren't looking for Patrons/pledges just yet but I don't see why you shouldn't try and build a little community there with followers. Y'know, get the pot boiling for when you're ready to start shaking that tip jar.
People like screenshots and you have plenty here already. Dropping them on Twitter or other social media places could drum up some interest ahead of when you release too, not sure if you're doing that already though.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
With all of these nice development previews and such, I'm surprised you have no posts at all on your Patreon. I know you said you weren't looking for Patrons/pledges just yet but I don't see why you shouldn't try and build a little community there with followers. Y'know, get the pot boiling for when you're ready to start shaking that tip jar.
People like screenshots and you have plenty here already. Dropping them on Twitter or other social media places could drum up some interest ahead of when you release too, not sure if you're doing that already though.
I've never really used social media for this type of thing before, I wouldn't know who to tweet at or what hashtag to use, lol.

I was also planning on ( for now ) just using patreon for public polls, but I guess posting some exclusive screen shots there could be good to gain followers so I'll probably start doing that, thanks for the advice :)

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
I've never really used social media for this type of thing before, I wouldn't know who to tweet at or what hashtag to use, lol.

I was also planning on ( for now ) just using patreon for public polls, but I guess posting some exclusive screen shots there could be good to gain followers so I'll probably start doing that, thanks for the advice :)
Honestly, you just need to post bitesize versions of what you've been putting here. Try following a few other devs for ideas on tags. My point is you're already posting so you may as well hit more places. It comes from non-sexual game dev but I often see indie developers advising building a following this way before launch, I just thought that if you have the content already and you're not launching your first version for a little while yet that doing it that way might be good for you too.
Just be aware of what you're allowed to show if you venture into places like Insta or FB, Twitter seems more accepting of nudity.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote