VN Ren'Py The Cabin - Summer Vacation - Development Thread

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 26/04/2021

Been a while since I've done an update so jumping on to share what's been happening. As expected, I'm now working on Ep21 of WTHI so development of The Cabin has slowed down a little. It hasn't come to a complete stop though which is what's important!

I have run into a few issues with the art though, there was a few scenes ( mostly in the cabin ) where I couldn't test to see what the lighting looked like because my garbo PC couldn't handle the cabin asset and any characters so I had to free-ball it. For the most part, the lighting does look decent so that's good. But there are a few scene's that are either to bright or there just isn't any lighting at all :cautious:

I've been fixing these lighting issues in my spare time & rendering them on my 2nd PC while working on WTHI so like I say, not come to a complete stop.

It's looking more and more like a May release the further into it I get, really wanted to get it out in April but I don't think that's possible at this point. Once I get this first release out things will start to flow a lot smoother, mostly because I won't be breaking my work up into section. What I did for this first release was create all the renders, once they were all created I rendered them all and once they're all rendered I started coding them, this method of doing things to slowing me down so going forward I will be setting up the renders for scene 1, then once that's done I'll render them and while those are rendering I'll setup scene 2, then once scene 1 has finished rendering I'll render scene 2 while coding scene 1...if that makes sense :p

But yeah, all is going well (y)

Aug 18, 2017
ive been seeing a lot dif games pop up over the last couple years. I think the first one I ever found was Milfy City, then found this forum and all the various patreons.

Are most people using assets and rendering in Daz3d, including this? Been itching to learn how to do this stuff myself for the fun of it, but its difficult to know where to even begin.

if you don't mind CellStudios answering some quick questions,

Do you get most of your assets on renderosity, daz3d, somewhere else?
Do you place your assets and pose them in in Daz3d (then render)?
And finally what program are you using to make this in order to script everything together into a 'game'/visual novel? Renpy, something else? I think Timestamps uses Unity, but don't know how difficult it would be to learn that compared to Renpy.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
ive been seeing a lot dif games pop up over the last couple years. I think the first one I ever found was Milfy City, then found this forum and all the various patreons.

Are most people using assets and rendering in Daz3d, including this? Been itching to learn how to do this stuff myself for the fun of it, but its difficult to know where to even begin.

if you don't mind CellStudios answering some quick questions,

Do you get most of your assets on renderosity, daz3d, somewhere else?
Do you place your assets and pose them in in Daz3d (then render)?
And finally what program are you using to make this in order to script everything together into a 'game'/visual novel? Renpy, something else? I think Timestamps uses Unity, but don't know how difficult it would be to learn that compared to Renpy.
1) I get the bulk of my assets from Daz3d.com, renderosity & all my adult content from renderotica.
2) For me there are 5 stages to settings up a scene, first find and load an environment, then load in your character, then setup your lighting ( to make sure the character looks good in that room ), pose the character ( adding in any extra props that the character might be hold then finish posing around that ) and then finally dress the character. I'm sure most devs do it different to that, I'm a little backwards when I work :p
3) I ( like most devs ) use Renpy, some devs use unity and others use RPGM ( Role Playing Game Maker ) ( there is also a select few that use unreal engine but I won't include that as it's the same style as unity ). I've personally used all 3 for various projects, used RPGM like 10 years back when I was in college and it was rather easy to use, at least it was back then, Unity for me was super hard, tried using it like 3-4 years ago and between unity and unreal engine, unreal engine is far easier ( at least it was for me ), but out of all 3, renpy is for sure the easiest, depending on the type of project you want to do.

If you have any more questions hit me up :) ( although I'm in the UK so you might not hear back from me straight away :p )

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 03/05/2021

Not much to report on really, rendered like 70% of the art but stopped a couple weeks back because half the crap I did render has issues, so now I'm having to back track through that which is a pain in the ass. Script work is running smoothly though, that being said, most of the production has come to a halt due to WTHI work, EP21 is well underway. I mostly work on The Cabin at night and I think I might dive into it a lot more over the weekends, my weekends are normally filled with WTHI work or movies, would be good to just smash through the game instead.

Just a quick update to let you guys know I'm still here :p

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Just posted a poll on the patreon page, need some feedback.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I would say both. like Name (Relation).

Some characters the player may have less interactions with, so they may forget who the person is even after seeing a name, but a name and relation as long as it is pretty defining would jog their memory.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
As I am not a patron and can't vote I would say by name not relation. Seems more natural.
I thought I set it to public :unsure:

I would say both. like Name (Relation).

Some characters the player may have less interactions with, so they may forget who the person is even after seeing a name, but a name and relation as long as it is pretty defining would jog their memory.
I don't think it's possible to make it both name and relation, might also look weird with it being "Friend Lisa" because I doubt everyone will use the correct relations.

Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I thought I set it to public :unsure:
It May be that you still need a Patreon account which I do not any longer. Anyway, to expand on my post... If the player is going to define the relationships then the "landlady" would naturally not be called by her first name. However, a "roommate" or "tenant" would be more logically called by their first name.

So... mature person of authority by relation or honorific, peer or child by first name, unless referring to that person in a conversation then by relation sometimes.

I don't think it's possible to make it both name and relation, might also look weird with it being "Friend Lisa" because I doubt everyone will use the correct relations.
Yeah, that would be weird.

Reactions: Abhai

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
It May be that you still need a Patreon account which I do not any longer. Anyway, to expand on my post... If the player is going to define the relationships then the "landlady" would naturally not be called by her first name. However, a "roommate" or "tenant" would be more logically called by their first name.

So... mature person of authority by relation or honorific, peer or child by first name, unless referring to that person in a conversation then by relation sometimes.
Yeah, that would be weird.
second that - women/more mature ladies as relations, girls as names.
btw, i would also remove that "haha" part at the end of that sample dialogue:BootyTime:

Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
second that - women/more mature ladies as relations, girls as names.
Yeah, if describing someone to another you might say "My childhood friend Lisa" but you wouldn't think of them as "childhood friend", she's just Lisa.

btw, i would also remove that "haha" part at the end of that sample dialogue:BootyTime:
And I agree, don't put laughter in the dialogue. Instead do a render that shows it. Or just leave it off and let the audience interpret via other dialogue cues. Worst thing is when the dialogue becomes a bunch of "haha" or "hehe" at the end or beginning of each sentence.

Reactions: Abhai

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I see what you all are saying.

Imagine a scenario where MC meets someone in chapter 2. Her name is Sarah, she works at Company .Inc under Lisa. You saw her for a total of 6 seconds, 10 months later when chapter 8 comes out you run into Sarah. Most people will wonder who the hell she is. This is what I was trying to help avoid.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
I see what you all are saying.

Imagine a scenario where MC meets someone in chapter 2. Her name is Sarah, she works at Company .Inc under Lisa. You saw her for a total of 6 seconds, 10 months later when chapter 8 comes out you run into Sarah. Most people will wonder who the hell she is. This is what I was trying to help avoid.
dont see any problem there- in that hypothetical situation she could be "????" till the official (re)introduction, and after that she goes as "Sarah".

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
I've been told about haha's and hehe's before, I don't see the issue of it myself :unsure: maybe it's because I've just finished Echoes of Lust and that was full of them :p

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I've been told about haha's and hehe's before, I don't see the issue of it myself :unsure: maybe it's because I've just finished Echoes of Lust and that was full of them :p
Yeah, I've played a few games with them and I find that eventually it can become similar to nails on the chalkboard. In that, if it is constant or too frequent, it becomes visually irritating. I can't remember which game it was but there was one where it felt like nearly every other sentence and irl people don't say "haha" or "hehe".

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote