3.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Imisx

Game Developer
Apr 25, 2018
As someone who's worked on actual TL work in the past, I can tell you anything that is done in MTL will usually never get an actual translation as there's not as much market for them anymore. MTLs are killing the practice of actual translation work.
There's no way a translator will decide not to work on some games only because there's already an MTL version...

Gecy

Apr 30, 2020
As someone who's worked on actual TL work in the past, I can tell you anything that is done in MTL will usually never get an actual translation as there's not as much market for them anymore. MTLs are killing the practice of actual translation work.
99% of those games will never see "proper" translation anyway, and at least 95% of them is shovelware anyway and everyone know it. And with AI-art generators it will become even more true than even with stock 3DCG goblinas.
Another thing is that even official translations are often rewrites that only partially have something to do with original, so it's even worse than pure MTL anyway because so-called "translators" are basically use someone else's game to insert their own fanfics, or else they don't know what are they translating and just insert whatever shit they can come up with, or editor rewrites dialogues to "adapt" to his own tastes, current year agenda, and things like that.
Sure, MTL can be bad if done by idiots who don't understand how to use those tools, of if they use totally outdated models/services/programs, or if they never edit the result even a little, or if there's text that you won't understand outside of game context, and it can sprout gibberish or unrelated text, but it's hardly worse than translators who barely/palatially understand Japanese (and maybe even English too), or who insert their own ego where it doesn't belong, or work at snail pace because of this or that reason.
People who can actually translate from Japanese on high level either don't work with games at all, much less hentai games, or doing it on a whim in their free time. And there's only so much of them, so they only work with handful of games. You lament that MTLed games won't get translation, but that's hardly the case - popular games are getting proper translations regardless, and the rest of them wouldn't be translated without MTL either way. Maybe like 0.5% of them and years later, if you're lucky.

Most Japanese VN devs probably think it's not worth the extra costs.
Most of the time it's true, and even Steam release wouldn't bring much on their table to be worth it, or even drive them bankrupt if sales are bad. It's basically a gamble - you spend buttload not only on game itself, but on translation on top of that, but might never see the return of investment. Hardly anyone want to risk like this. MTLs, on the other hand, cost nothing, and can produce passable result. Especially, again, if devs aren't idiots and at lest edit and test the results. Most people are content with shovelware having passable translation - just enough to understand where to go, what to do, and overall story outline. VN's are one thing, but actions, puzzles and even RPG's can get away with it.

Last edited:

xBelx

Feb 6, 2019
FR? Are you or someone translating this game now? If nobody did that, why can't MTL do it?
Professional translating team like Kagura always looks for high revenue games and people are willing to pay for them. However, what else will we play after they're all finished when nobody are willing to translate these low revenue ones? What do you mean about destroy actual translation work? Is Kagura dead now? People wants to play MTL version instead of Kagura version?

Imisx

Game Developer
Apr 25, 2018
I think he is saying that the developers won't bother with paying for a proper translation because they can get an MTL version for free. Most Japanese VN devs probably think it's not worth the extra costs.
That's even more stupid. I've never seen an official translation done with MTL, plus you need guts to publish something like that. It would just ruin the developer's reputation.

Bondage Queen

Jun 25, 2018
Who in the world thought it would be a good idea to make the player play asinine mini games to do pointless boring tasks. That's the majority of what the game is.

Akren

Aug 25, 2019
That's even more stupid. I've never seen an official translation done with MTL, plus you need guts to publish something like that. It would just ruin the developer's reputation.
funny you say that, i don't have the links on hand but i know for a fact there are regularly official MTL "translations" put on this very site

Gecy

Apr 30, 2020
I'm waiting.
Anything made by SakuraGame/Paradise Project. Dark Elf, Taima Miko Yuugi, King Exit, Selenophobia to name the few.

Imisx

Game Developer
Apr 25, 2018
Anything made by SakuraGame/Paradise Project. Dark Elf, Taima Miko Yuugi, King Exit, Selenophobia to name the few.

I don't want to verify every game you've sent, but assuming that's true and these are official MTL, I'm pretty sure they won't bother paying for an official translation anyway, without the existance of MTL. So if it wasn't for MTL, there wouldn't be any English game at all. Anyway, if they want to get refunds from every single English speaker that buys their games, good for them.

ryuujinx

Dec 30, 2020
The MTL is okay, definitely seen worse ones and it doesn't outright break the fuckin game like some of them I've seen.

Game is really short though which is sad because I was excited for an actual bdsm focused game, but it's all of 3 girls with 3 scenes each. At least it doesn't have god awful RPGM 'combat' that we all just mash enter through.

Gecy

Apr 30, 2020
I don't want to verify every game you've sent, but assuming that's true and these are official MTL, I'm pretty sure they won't bother paying for an official translation anyway, without the existance of MTL. So if it wasn't for MTL, there wouldn't be any English game at all. Anyway, if they want to get refunds from every single English speaker that buys their games, good for them.
I have to question what did you do here the last five years...

ErichVM

Jul 15, 2018

that's true, SakuraGame on Steam is just a money-grabbing company. It's so bad even in King Exit MTL sometimes crashes the game because the game variable is also translated by MTL. At least in Dark Elf and Taima Miko just confusing, but not to crash the game. because MTL King Exit can't be played that is the chronological sequel of "Demon Roots" a masterpiece game

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote