VN Ren'Py Onhold The Device [Demo] [Dumitas]

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Dumitas

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2019

Yep... Short update but important!

As you may remember from I had short (extremely short) time to work on the game, but the situation is back to normal and now I'm able to work on the game full time!

I want to thank you for the support I will post updates more often and we will get the game out as soon as possible!

Since this is an update for the game I use to introduce a new character to the rooster, I will not reveal much of her only that her name is Aurora and she's Latina!, more of her during the game!

1652990550879.png
1652990564925.png

Have a great day and if you have any questions or suggestions post them below, I would love to hear your opinion.

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021

Yep... Short update but important!

As you may remember from I had short (extremely short) time to work on the game, but the situation is back to normal and now I'm able to work on the game full time!

I want to thank you for the support I will post updates more often and we will get the game out as soon as possible!

Since this is an update for the game I use to introduce a new character to the rooster, I will not reveal much of her only that her name is Aurora and she's Latina!, more of her during the game!

View attachment 1819929
View attachment 1819931

Have a great day and if you have any questions or suggestions post them below, I would love to hear your opinion.
That close up looks awesome.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
I have learnt about this project just now and 100% by chance :eek::eek:
Wow Dumitas this looks awesomely good!
The art part is up to your usual standards, so that's no surprise. So far Ms Williams and Genesis are my favourite just based on looks.
Also, I'm really curious what the mysterious device is for :HideThePain:

I definitely liked that captain guy BTW, there's a friendly vibe to him. Can't wait to make him my father in law; we'd have so much fun talking about things I don't know shit about like NFL football or big guns :BootyTime:

Reactions: Dumitas

Dumitas

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2019
The Device Dev Update #08
1656374961793.png

Hello everyone!

These last two weeks since have been incredibly useful, I'm almost done with the writing of the first episode, it was already written but not in dialog format, when it's done I will send it to get proofread and that will be a back and forth because it's not just about grammar but adding more complexity to the dialogs based on the characters.
Besides that part, I've been pumping scenes nonstop, on Daz and rendering, still taking some time to optimize and render but it's faster than ever now that I have the time.

Still don't have an estimated time for release but I will use this opportunity to talk more about the game and the first episode in particular.

What you can expect?:

3 Endings!

Yes, the first episode will contain 3 "endings", it will be the ending of the episode based on your previous choices and this also sets up the tone for the rest of the game where you can see immediately the repercussions of your choices. Like in the demo there will be some secret endings, these so-called endings will be there mostly as easter eggs but in the future will unlock special renders on the gallery.
This will not mean an early lock, this will happen later based on your choices like most AVN, so for that part, you don't need to worry because there will be plenty of opportunities to pick any other(s) girl without having to replay the entire game. But I will encourage replayability since the game will be designed for that.

No magical variables!
Things that you do by yourself, will not affect other characters, only your character personality or intentions, I've seen many times how "magically" other characters know your actions or are affected by choices you make that have nothing to do with them and there's no way they may know about it, but still affect your relationships, this will not happen here. In fact, there will be no visual indication of any variables, I want people to feel immersive in the story at least when comes to interaction with any LI. I don't want people counting how many times I said something good or bad, but rather thinking of what happened with that person.

Not EVERY girl in the game is a possible love interest or will have sexual content.
Some people don't like this, but this is not an harem simulator, will be plenty of girls and content (mostly after multiple runs), but this doesn't mean that every woman that is portrayed in the game will fall for you. This is still a story and as such, it needs all kinds of characters to fill it in, some of those characters are also women, but that doesn't mean that they will be part of YOUR story and before anyone complains, YES I can design a very attractive girl and not be part of the lewd content for the game.
Saying that there will be SFW (extra hot) content in the future for Patreons on such characters.

These are some of the things that came to mind so I want to be clear from the beginning, and I know people will complain but here I'm and if you're reading this in the future... I told you so.

Thank you all for your support I really appreciate what y'all do for me and having such patience, I hope that in the future I will be able to deliver the story or stories much faster.

Have a great day and if you have any questions or suggestions just post them below!

Dumitas

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2019
1656622234131.png

Hello everyone!

These last weeks of rendering have been very productive. About 40% of the scenes are done for the first episode. Have sent Xeno the first part of the dialog for correction. After that, I will begin coding and in the meantime render the scenes in the queue.

I reached a point in the story where I need to create new characters, about 5 secondary characters. They are not really that significant, but they are part of the story regardless. I like to create characters whose image reflects their persona so that they seem credible. Those characters are better if you can tell who or how they are by looking at them. There is no need for a lengthy introduction, a past, or anything like that. That's the main difference between them and the main characters (love interest, antagonist, or even MC), you will have an idea but not the whole picture with those.

I've been updating very rarely, almost a month since the last one. This doesn't mean that I'm not working, on the contrary, I'm working really hard on the game. The main reason for the lack of updates is that I don't have much information other than the number of scenes and how it's going. After the initial release, I will update more often. This is because you will have a better grasp of the story and I can talk about the characters and plot, and how things are coming along more specifically. At this point, I just want to avoid spoilers or talking nonsense about a story that you only know a few things about.

In the meantime, I leave here another preview of ... I want you all to remember that her name is because of her eyes, nothing to do with recent events , changed her just a little, and added a very small tattoo.

Thank you all for your support!!! Have a great day and if you have any questions or suggestions just post them below!

Dumitas

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2019
1657315457297.png

(PUBLIC)

Hello everyone!

The past few days I have created a couple more characters for the story, but this time they are all males. I also need to think about the possibility of a girl audience, or even if that's not the case, why not add some relatable character right?

In this case, three friends will probably, and most definitely, make MC's life miserable, so you can start hating them early.
I designed them with their personality in mind as mentioned in the . The idea is that you can identify some of those characters and with a few words and the way they look (expressions also may help) you can get a full picture of them, which will help with the fluidity of the story.

Orlando "The Leader"
1657315554047.png

He considers himself to be the most handsome guy out of the three, and probably in town and he thinks the world revolves around him.
Apparently, he's the son of an influential member of the community, and he has taken the role of his father into his own hand, and he does whatever the fuck he wants in the community, the town folks will not go against him for fear or maybe they just don't want to be bothered...
The problems will start when MC arrives in town. Having no idea what "power" this figure held, what will you do? fear him? Or you just won't be bothered?

Buck "The Muscles"
1657315641127.png

He's Orlando's Plan B when things get heated. Well, he hasn't actually used him, but if anything should ever come up, he will try... Actually, not really, Buck is incapable of anything, he's dumb as a blade of grass, uncoordinated and he's what some people call intellectually disabled.

Tenor

1657315664591.png

A little disclaimer here, I don't know anything about Tenor, he scares the shit out of me and I just leave him alone, I know that he hangs out with Orlando and Buck but that's it, maybe we can know more about him in the future.

(Disclaimer all the info about the characters is subject to change, one because of your choices, and second because this is an early presentation so I may change them in the future)

Thank you all for your support!!! Have a great day and if you have any questions or suggestions just post them below!

Dumitas

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2019

1660147666940.png

Hello everyone!

Welcome to another update this time to present the town where most of the game will take part, I already kinda presented it in a way where I was building but didn't have a name at the moment now it does. HOLLOWTREE!
The story of the name will be presented in the game as a side story but not really relevant at the moment but still will be there.

This is a typical American town with old-style buildings in the center with a mix of modernity but keeping it traditional, the town is thriving and considered one of the fastest growing towns in the past decade, and all of this is thanks to decided to move his operations there. That alone brings new jobs, better schools, and overall all types of improvements, a town that used to be a little place where the young leave for new opportunities now they have everything and more in their birthplace.

Almost like a dream... but everything comes with a price.

On the technical side: working on the last third of the game and showing some of the few tricks I'm implementing, for example, far background people, buildings, and objects.

For example, this low polygon person that it takes 1/500 of a regular Daz character to render, it's almost realtime. It takes 0.5 Mb of memory to render in comparison with a Genesis 8 character with clothes and hair that takes anything from 500 Mb to 2 Gb or more.

LowPeople.gif

This is not entirely focused on optimization but immersion, this way I can fill backgrounds with people and vehicles with characters without losing any time rendering time, making a town or any place feel alive and real, and since it's 3D it can be used from different angles, there is an alternative called "billboards" it's prerendered characters on a plane, this is ideal too for a closer but it takes a lot of space and extra work changing it to the right angle for the camera and they also come with extra co$t...

But in this case, I just put them where I want as if they are normal characters and they're ready to go at any angle, but don't worry they will never be close enough for you to notice any of those details, this is the same trick used on The Spiderman game with the boat people for example or any other types of game where you have far away characters.

This is an example of how different characters are, one is just a blob with a tiny 512kb texture, compared with the most complex Genesis 8 character

1660147727452.png

This is also applied to buildings, objects, and vehicles, here is an example of a close and far one, the close and more detailed vehicle will be used by characters or will be for close renders.

1660147742216.png

Again, is not just trying to be cheap but being able to populate anything making the places immersive and real.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember that as a Patreon you can still decide on the looks of the shops in the town center, this will be featured in the game one way or another: just comment on the post or send me a DM on discord.

Dumitas

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2019
1662415161330.png

Hello everyone!

For the last couple of days, I've been finally putting the game together, starting to code, and implementing new stuff, there is a lot of renders in the queue and some more coming up while doing this, fixes or some addition necessaries for the story but it's getting there.

One thing I have been working hard to implement the last couple of days it's something I rarely see on Renpy games even though it's really common in visual novels or choice-based games.

A choice wheel! Not really a wheel but it's something unique at least for me.
The first problem was to code it, but when that was solved then comes the problem with the design and this was the final result:

Choices.gif

At first, I wanted to do a similar system used on Mass Effect (with an actual wheel) but it's patent by EA games ( ) and even if I'm a very very small fish, I don't want to have any trouble in the future for doing something like that. In the end, I like this one better, it's a neat design and easy to understand and it's all mine.

How does it work?
It works extremely simple and may be very obvious for many but I explain it just in case.
This menu is designed to work with up to 4 choices, if ever happen to need more than 4 I will use the last one as a bridge to another menu using "MORE" and in the other menu using "BACK" but I don't think that will ever be the case.
When there is a choice, it will appear in blue with the text next to it, when you hover your mouse over that choice it lights in orange (text and triangle)

This is an example of a 2 choices menu:
xx.png

(a menu may be added in the future to customize those colors)

I'm using this same design for the rest of the in-game menu to keep it consistent and let's be honest, prettier. I know this is not really important but as I mention before it's part of keeping all consistent.

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 1 Vote