VN Ren'Py The Interim Domain [v0.27.0] [ILSProductions]

3.80 star(s) 38 Votes
Feb 25, 2022

Patreon post image.jpg

For For June 2024's Public Wallpapers we
wanted to do an homage to a classic of 70s and 80s cinema: The Sex Comedy. The likes of Animal House and gave many of us our first eyeball-full of naked ladies in showers. Also, for some reason, the opening of had a gratuitous high school shower scene.

Also, check out the

Patreon post image-1.jpg

June 2024 Public #1

Patreon post image-2.jpg

June 2024 Public #2

Hope you enjoy!

-Kinderfeld

Jacowboy

Aug 8, 2022
Dev stated in the past they didn't want it to look too polished as it was in a world that was bleak. If the dev had focused on getting excellent quality .. we would just now being done with the first game (due to the number of images and chapters) and not being almost done with the second. Sometimes the enemy of good is perfection.
ehhh, I'm not sure it'd take that much longer, HS doesn't have to render images like DAZ does...

Mar 22, 2023
The Interim Domain [v0.26.0] [ILSProductions] - Compressed

Win/Linux [2,05 GB]
- MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN -

Mac [2,02 GB]
- MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN -

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
------------------------------
The Interim Domain [v0.26.0] [ILSProductions] - Update only

The patch may break your game, use at your own risk.

Universal: v0.25.0 -> v0.26.0 [166 MB]
- MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN -

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Please @ me or quote this post if there is a new version that doesn't show up on the "Latest Updates" page.
Thx, very much appreciated!

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
ehhh, I'm not sure it'd take that much longer, HS doesn't have to render images like DAZ does...
There is a lot of touch-up in post after rendering with things like photoshop or GIMP. If you spend twice the amount of time doing touch-up to clear up all perfections, there is much delay added. But in a month (the Devs usual cycle), at least 50% is spend on rendering. If you double rendering time (and touch-up), then you are effectively making release every 1.5 months instead of every month. Which mathmatically (30 releases in N&T, 4 months between games, 26 releases in TID, so 56 months for game releases), you would only be on Chapter 7 of TID at this point.

Jacowboy

Aug 8, 2022
There is a lot of touch-up in post after rendering with things like photoshop or GIMP. If you spend twice the amount of time doing touch-up to clear up all perfections, there is much delay added. But in a month (the Devs usual cycle), at least 50% is spend on rendering. If you double rendering time (and touch-up), then you are effectively making release every 1.5 months instead of every month. Which mathmatically (30 releases in N&T, 4 months between games, 26 releases in TID, so 56 months for game releases), you would only be on Chapter 7 of TID at this point.
huh?? if they touch-up 10 images, it's the same amount of time whether they're high res or low res... it's still 10 images... I'm not sure what you're talking about here... =/

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
huh?? if they touch-up 10 images, it's the same amount of time whether they're high res or low res... it's still 10 images... I'm not sure what you're talking about here... =/
I am saying to make the images more polished, above what they are doing, there would be a lot more post rendering touch-up, extending the time it takes to do the rendering for any chapter. If there is 3 weeks of rendering, post rendering touch-up per chapter (as the Dev has said is their usual cycle), then having to a lot more touch-up in post to make them more polished takes time, extending each release. Adding approx 50% more time in post rendering touch-up to make them more polished would mean the dev would only be on chapter 7 of TID at the moment.

The enemy of good is perfection .. that is my main point.

Antherak

Aug 20, 2020
That's not really "touching up" images. Lets say for example, just using the stock assets takes 30 minutes per image. Getting higher quality isn't only saying "render image in 4k". If you download a .gif icon for example, zooming will not make it look better.

They have to work much longer on it with photoshop to clean up artefacts, modify assets so they aren't stock, do better lighting and posing, etc. Who knows how much extra time it takes PER EVERY IMAGE. AN extra hour each? more? Times 300 to 500 images per chapter. Also, the bigger the image, the longer it is to render.

At this point, the dev has a choice. Make better looking images, have one chapter released every 3-4 months like a lot of games here with "good quality" and have the game be 9 gigs, OR let the images on "ok" quality, get 1 chapter every 4-5 weeks and have the game be 2 gigs.

Jacowboy

Aug 8, 2022
At this point, the dev has a choice. Make better looking images, have one chapter released every 3-4 months like a lot of games here with "good quality" and have the game be 9 gigs, OR let the images on "ok" quality, get 1 chapter every 4-5 weeks and have the game be 2 gigs.
I'm just gonna ignore the rest because it doesn't matter... but yes, you're right, the decision would be to up the quality and have it take longer or not... imo it'd be nice for it to look a bit better, even if it takes a bit longer... they'd need to find a good middle-ground solution so it doesn't take THAT long...

Either way, I think they're gonna upgrade to HS2 anyways, so it might be a good idea to at least decrease the compression on the images and the videos... these days it's not like having a large download is too much of an issue.

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
I'm just gonna ignore the rest because it doesn't matter... but yes, you're right, the decision would be to up the quality and have it take longer or not... imo it'd be nice for it to look a bit better, even if it takes a bit longer... they'd need to find a good middle-ground solution so it doesn't take THAT long...

Either way, I think they're gonna upgrade to HS2 anyways, so it might be a good idea to at least decrease the compression on the images and the videos... these days it's not like having a large download is too much of an issue.
Dev said they are using HS2 for Game 3. They had setup too much world building in HS1 before HS2 came out for TID, thus didn't want to switch over as it came out after he had already started this game. Somewhere I have seen some sample images of the new game, and yes, they are little better.

Reactions: PaxHadrian17

bobbo69

Engaged Member
Donor
Jun 18, 2017
The Interim Domain 0.27.0 Update #1
59 minutes ago

The Interim Domain 0.27.0 Update #1

All right! We are deep into this build and looking to get as much as we can packed in before it's done.

0.27.0 will bring the main story to as close to the end as you can get without us actually not working on it anymore. In fact, your last choice will allow you to go to the end, but at this point, all you can unlock is the Bad End. This will transition to 0.28.0's "perpetual day" mode, where you can just keep going on to finish up other content.

Two girls (Kaitlin and Mina) will have their ending content installed, but it'll be mostly an incomplete experience without the others. The Ending setup is to go Ending Opening Act > Main Girl Story > Montage of other people you saved > Main Girl Epilogue. So, there is an intent that you should complete enough other stories to clear the Qi point total not to get the bad ending.

There is also some background work on continuity fixes for characters no longer in the Interim. A large portion of Robin's story now has alternative scenarios if Tina's already gone.

Also, be aware that from this point onward, there will be serious spoilers in the teaser images. We'll try to keep the bigger reveals under wraps but if you want to go into the end and endings blind, you might want to look away.
Hope you enjoy the experience. Thanks for playing.
- Kinderfeld

Antherak

Aug 20, 2020
There is also some background work on continuity fixes for characters no longer in the Interim. A large portion of Robin's story now has alternative scenarios if Tina's already gone.
Wouldn't it have been much easier to put flags to prevent you from continuing a girl's story until you reach another girl "milestone" ? Would certainly made more sense than redoing tons of duplicate/altered renders, and also, who wants to rush a main girl to clear her quick and miss lots of combined interactions?

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
Wouldn't it have been much easier to put flags to prevent you from continuing a girl's story until you reach another girl "milestone" ? Would certainly made more sense than redoing tons of duplicate/altered renders, and also, who wants to rush a main girl to clear her quick and miss lots of combined interactions?
The dev chose to allow players to choose who they want to play (which girls get played when, thru their available content) and how they want to play.

I preferred advancing the women at about the same rate and enjoying the progression of not just the story but the possible combo scenes and even the changes in the environment as the archons battle.

I agree - giving players this level of choice was expensive in terms of additional coding but we're too far down the road with TID to change this now.

I suspect that there will be more boundaries/limits on pathing for the AVN that follows TID but that is my speculation only.

Cheers!! :coffee:

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
Technically - Yes. I think the big issue is the game and story changed after the initial outline was created, and the Dev didn't foresee all the inter-dependencies, before it was too late with the coding. The dev has the story mocked up and laid out well in advance, so it was just the execution. Technically, this the dev's second game, and they weren't much of a programmer before. So the logic loops they are learning from other games, etc. A person who studied Computer Science, Programming or logic gates might have done it differently. The Dev might also fix all that, in the 0.99 version like they fixed bad stuff like that in N&T.

snake_27

May 23, 2020
Glad to see this game seems to be pretty close to completion. I tried it a few times, but it seemed a little too slow for me (and I usually don't mind that)... I hope I can enjoy the finished game as much as I enjoyed the developer's first game.

Feb 25, 2022

The Interim Domain 027.jpg The Interim Domain 027-1.jpg The Interim Domain 027-2.jpg

Here we are, deep in the heart of this month's release. On top of the main story and all the side content, there's a lot of back-end code and cleanup, including continuity work to remove characters from stories if they've ended their story. This work will probably take us well into the final build (including little bits folks are still pointing out).

As a part of the End coding, we did have another look at the "math" of how you earn Qi from finishing stories. We did some tweaking so that you earn what was really intended when we first started, so if you've finished Saaya's story already, you'll be getting a little extra (which I'm sure you used to help Apollyon or Natalie). Mina, on the other hand, will only next you an extra 1 Qi. This might make Qi a premium earlier on if you replay the main story again.

This time around, there isn't a combination scene. There is one more left in the main game, but it'll be coming late and the way to unlock it's what I like to call Dark Souls obscure. There'll be more on that when it does become available. Of course, we may sneak in a few into the endings for some obvious pairings.

Patreon post image.jpg

As mentioned in passing, we are working on a Story Replay Mode for 0.28.0 where you'll be able to play through any girl's story once unlocked. It'll involve all their story scenes, all the Other People scenes with them, and any combo scenes that may involve them.

Thanks for your interest and patronage,
-Kinderfeld

Wicks99

Apr 21, 2024
Just started TID and am now at Chapter 6. All I can say so far is the story is very impressive and definitely an improvement from N&T. The graphics while not top end, is playable at least for me on a 36" monitor. Maybe I'm the kind who gets more immersed in a good story and forget about things like graphics resolution or lighting as long as it's passable.

Currently I am adopting a strategy of progressing roughly all the LIs on the same speed, but I read some people complaining further down the road there isn't enough time to do that and some of the LIs will be lost by a certain time if you don't hit certain milestones!?

How does that work? Should I restart and open up several saves with each focusing on a different LIs instead? I really hope to avoid that as it kind of breaks the immersion for me.

PS: While I really like this game, it's not advisable for someone going through a down phase of life, too dark and emotionally depressing.

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
Just started TID and am now at Chapter 6. All I can say so far is the story is very impressive and definitely an improvement from N&T. The graphics while not top end, is playable at least for me on a 36" monitor. Maybe I'm the kind who gets more immersed in a good story and forget about things like graphics resolution or lighting as long as it's passable.

Currently I am adopting a strategy of progressing roughly all the LIs on the same speed, but I read some people complaining further down the road there isn't enough time to do that and some of the LIs will be lost by a certain time if you don't hit certain milestones!?

How does that work? Should I restart and open up several saves with each focusing on a different LIs instead? I really hope to avoid that as it kind of breaks the immersion for me.

PS: While I really like this game, it's not advisable for someone going through a down phase of life, too dark and emotionally depressing.
There is no way to know if we will run out of time to fully play out all of the stories of all of the women.

The only way to know this is to wait until we reach the end of TID.

There are some who do not like the mechanic of having to choose which story (woman) to enjoy with 7 possibilities for each monthly update.

I like the mechanic because it gives the sense that the MC has too little time to help everyone.

I actually advance all the women (except Kyra and Natalie) at about the same rate, and I have not missed any of the combination events so far.

Some of the women do not get the full 25 events - they are 'side' girls (I believe that Kyra, Mina, Saaya, and Natalie fall into this category).

My recommendation - continue as you have and see where the dev takes you on this journey.

I also agree with your comment about being in the right space, mentally, to enjoy this AVN.

It is dark and it has been/will be hard to say goodbye to almost all the LIs for me.

I'm hoping that the epilogue offers us some choices for a mini harem in the 'new world' but that is only a hope versus knowledge of the script for the AVN.

Cheers!! :coffee:

Reactions: Wicks99

Bradd D

Oct 8, 2022

Pick 3 or 4 paths and go with those. Not enough in game time currently to see everything in one go.

A few, like Mina, don't really offer anything at all IMO and can be avoided entirely while still not missing anything of value.

erkper

May 16, 2018
The dev repeatedly said there would be time to catch up all the stories before the end.

Or you can install the mod and keep every story up to date each episode. (Though that advice is losing appeal as the end draws near, I guess...)

Antherak

Aug 20, 2020
There is no way to know if we will run out of time to fully play out all of the stories of all of the women.
0.27.0 will bring the main story to as close to the end as you can get without us actually not working on it anymore. In fact, your last choice will allow you to go to the end, but at this point, all you can unlock is the Bad End. This will transition to 0.28.0's "perpetual day" mode, where you can just keep going on to finish up other content.
As per the dev, not next update, but the one after, it will become infinite time, so you will be able to finish everything.

For me, i played the girls 1 episode each before going back to the first one, until 18-ish where it became clear i would lag behind, so i dropped Roe and Kaitlin from my rotation as i liked them less to be able to get up to date with current content with the girls i liked most. I personally didn't like the approach of 8-9 stories per update, but only be able to play 7. It made me feel like i was missing content and with every update ending up missing even more with the accumulation of un-played options.

A few, like Mina, don't really offer anything at all IMO and can be avoided entirely while still not missing anything of value.
That's actually quite the opposite. Mina and Sayaa offer you what none of the other girls can. As short side story girls, they offer you a good amount of Qi mid-game that enable you to have enough saved to unlock Nathalie and Appolion stories, as well as being able to un-shade LI's that you might have got the bad ending with bad choices.

3.80 star(s) 38 Votes