3.00 star(s) 1 Vote

metuta1234

Nov 12, 2017
Game is dead, massmaniac are closing their patreon

-------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

I've decided to take some tough action today, one that may or may not be a surprise to some, and that's to suspend my Patreon page.

I just can't justify its continuation.

Much like when I suspended development of TLotK I can personally assure you that this is never an easy decision for a content creator, the time, effort and passion placed into whatever you worked on feels, well, squandered and I hate disappointing fans of my work.

There are so many reasons as to why I've taken this decision, but it's primarily this: The money I'm earning versus effort just plainly isn't worth it, additionally I'm gaining no satisfaction from it.

Enthusiasm for all the projects I've been toiling away on has also waned, from a consumer satisfaction standpoint to my own, which has adverse effects.

TLotK needs a lot of rework for the next update, I return to it just to feel a deep sense of crushing dissatisfaction with what I accomplish, Magical Camp I feel equally dissatisfied with, and RC...

Requited Change, although being enjoyed by the supporters I feel had its 'jump the shark' moment with the split-personality plot, and financial backing rapidly exited around the time I injected this narrative tangent. This rapidly declined £2300 per month way down to something like £1200 and now I'm at £560 per month, a third of my country's minimum wage. I wanted to differentiate myself from Moonlly's and Ron512's work on a gamble and felt as though I ruined the entire integrity of the character arcs I'd envisioned as well as the plot itself.

Maybe I'm being too hard on myself- perhaps I'm one of those rare underappreciated artists operating before my time? (Haha.)

Regardless, the financial consequence is the same for my decision.

I know my downfall isn't only due to these aforementioned factors; it's more in part to my upload schedule being god awful. To be honest, my life and work life currently feels like a self-perpetuating cycle of misery and depression feeding into itself, and has evolved into this ever growing mass weighing me down. Needless to say; this has led to work schedules not being adhered to and work being left unfulfilled, much like how I feel, I've lost my passion; the voice in my head telling me that I'm fighting a losing battle in vain. I feel guilty for not getting it done, try again next week. Rinse, and repeat. Over and over. Ad infinitum.

So, I posed this hard question to myself in my reflective self-loathing; do I want to continue trying to battle this cycle, the cycle that I haven't yet been able to break myself out of, and therefore push myself further into debt? It resoundingly hasn't worked so far, so the answer promptly presented itself:

No. No I do not.

It's been irresponsible of me to continue as long as I have in the foolish hope that I'd improve, and now me and my father are in absolute financial dire straits.

There's a misquoted saying about the definition of insanity...

This is the plan:

I'm suspending my page. There shall be no further content for the foreseeable future OTHER THAN COMMISSIONS - about which I'll have an explanatory post outlining the cost and conditions beginning of next month at the latest.

I shall suspend patreon payments for the next month, giving people the opportunity to leave without being charged for May. After this I'll keep the page up for a while to enable anyone who wishes to throw a dollar at me for past work undertaken or to gain access to all my work to do so. All work shall be consolidated into a single post this week at some point.

I'll be pursuing other avenues of income outside of this page to avoid the stigma that's, in my mind, undoubtedly now been rightfully earned and affixed to it and myself.

I can only apologize for the somewhat abrupt nature of this announcement, but I can't continue going the way I have been. I've not only got my own future to safeguard, but my Dad's too.

As always, I appreciate those who have supported me all of this time... but I think it's time for you all to finally go. I wish nothing but the best for you all, your generosity over the years has been wonderful... and, well, thank-you.

I know this is disappointing, but it's a firm, but fond farewell for now.

Oh, and Icarue, I'll be contacting you soon on an alt account on Discord regarding plugin help.

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote