Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
Earlier this month. Been nose deep in comic books, writing character outlines, and going over writing drafts when I'm not focusing on you guys
What do you most like about it?

I rather not. We have the same troubles as any other game but I rather talk about the good news when I am able. Besides as I said, I'm not a tester, my focus is elsewhere.
Hey, I wasn't a tester, but histories went around. I won't push it - I know how it is - but it'd be fun if we could get insight into development one day. I'm sure most of us do appreciate the masturbatory aid but a few funnies are never un-welcomed after it's all set and done.

Nothing we've discussed had indicated that. :p
Half a decade now, I barely even remember how to use the programs around in the office. Was a fun job, tho' - I got to be like you - having fun in the process of reading/making the story and having a good team to work with.

Crichton

Aug 5, 2018
I still don't quite get what you mean by "quirks". Could you give an example with a character that you guys don't plan on adding?

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
I still don't quite get what you mean by "quirks". Could you give an example with a character that you guys don't plan on adding?
We have no idea who we plan on involving in the long run and I can't tell you who we do have lined up.

I guess I can vaguely describe one of the chapter 1 girls' quirks.

Laura tends to have an obsessive streak. In the comics, she stalks Wolverine and often spies on him. If you attempt to pursue her then you become a target of this behavior. Discouraging her causes her to develop as her comic version does and realizing that this obsession is unhealthy, leading her to desire a "normal" relationship. Encouraging her quirk is you telling her this stalkerish behavior is acceptable and she ends up becoming possessive and protective. Both have upsides and downsides. I won't go into it. Y'all are gonna have to wait and see.

But the TL;DR is that all girls will have a specific negative behavior. You can discourage or encourage them. The effect is that they have different reactions to you and the events of the story. Both routes are meant to provide fun content, kinky and not kinky, and are worth replays.

Can I get access to other girls except rogue. If so how???
Not yet. You'll get full access to Jean, Rogue, and X-23 when we release the first beta.

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
Laura tends to have an obsessive streak. In the comics, she stalks Wolverine and often spies on him. If you attempt to pursue her then you become a target of this behavior. Discouraging her causes her to develop as her comic version does and realizing that this obsession is unhealthy, leading her to desire a "normal" relationship. Encouraging her quirk is you telling her this stalkerish behavior is acceptable and she ends up becoming possessive and protective. Both have upsides and downsides. I won't go into it. Y'all are gonna have to wait and see.
I was on point with the theory I had in my mind, she becomes love sick. It brings other concerns about story-telling and how a quirk like that is even dissolved.
But for the sake of surprises and everything that makes experiencing something for the first time only once - stop giving story details, Shiny, please. We'll have fun talking about it and making theories but that's where it should end, at least for now while the game's still being made.

As for that Laura image - I don't even like defined muscles on women and you still got my Davy Crockett over here begging for conflict - for all the peverted reasons.

Last edited:

Crichton

Aug 5, 2018
Stop giving story details, Shiny, please.

As for that Laura image - I don't even like defined muscles on women and you still got my Davy Crockett over here begging for conflict - for all the peverted reasons.
Aw c'mon, it was just the right amount. I don't think he was going to reveal more and I couldn't have asked for more.

His last two posts were salve for the soul, I can wait any amount of time for the beta now.

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
Aw c'mon, it was just the right amount. I don't think he was going to reveal more and I couldn't have asked for more.
I'm worried I'll know too much about something I really want to experience for myself, like a good book or game.

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
(...) she becomes love sick.
Look at me, replying to myself... but yeah - I guess you don't necessarily need to feel some sort of affection if you are obsessed with someone. It'll be dissapointing if it's not a love sick scenario but if it's written well, I'll like it the same.

I'll still have a save file - or tab, if more than a few particular choices prove interesting - for each of the girls so to see how the others react when I outright refuse them, but still insist, or show indifference, towards their quirk.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
I was on point with the theory I had in my mind, she becomes love sick. It brings other concerns about story-telling and how a quirk like that is even dissolved.
But for the sake of surprises and everything that makes experiencing something for the first time only once - stop giving story details, Shiny, please. We'll have fun talking about it and making theories but that's where it should end, at least for now while the game's still being made.

I'm worried I'll know too much about something I really want to experience for myself, like a good book or game.
Look at me, replying to myself... but yeah - I guess you don't necessarily need to feel some sort of affection if you are obsessed with someone. It'll be dissapointing if it's not a love sick scenario but if it's written well, I'll like it the same.

I'll still have a save file - or tab, if more than a few particular choices prove interesting - for each of the girls so to see how the others react when I outright refuse them, but still insist, or show indifference, towards their quirk.
Dude... chill out. What I revealed was COMIC information.

Both have upsides and downsides. I won't go into it. Y'all are gonna have to wait and see.
The stuff I said I won't go into is what isn't already extant in the comic books.

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
One of her earliest portrayals in the comic was that she attached herself strongly to people who showed her any kindness - Zebra Daddy in NYX and Hellion in New X-Men being the most obvious ones - because her upbringing had left her unable to process emotions properly, or at least to understand what she was feeling (they never stated it outright, but that was my reading of it at least). As a result, her normal reactions - attraction, jealousy, sadness - wound up being pushed to extremes and she tended to be obsessively protective of even casual friends, just because they treated her like a regular girl. It was an interesting character angle that was dropped quickly, I assume for obvious reasons, but one I would've liked to see developed.

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
One of her earliest portrayals in the comic was that she attached herself strongly to people who showed her any kindness because her upbringing had left her unable to process emotions properly, or at least to understand what she was feeling (they never stated it outright, but that was my reading of it at least).
I've written a character like her, then. And that's what - as a writer - I expected people to theorize about. It's an unfortunate fact, but it makes more sense than people believe it does.
I would also believe that it's pushed to a somewhat comical extent since it has fiction attached to it - but what do you think? Was it comical?
I ask with genuine intent, I don't know much about any character that'll be present in the game.

As a result, her normal reactions - attraction, jealousy, sadness - wound up being pushed to extremes and she tended to be obsessively protective of even casual friends, just because they treated her like a regular girl. It was an interesting character angle that was dropped quickly, I assume for obvious reasons, but one I would've liked to see developed.
Not a lot you can do with characters like that after introductions - two courses, really; either corruption or understanding/aid of the condition. (And I don't mean just sexual corruption, corruption goes more than just one way.)
I wonder how much we'll be able to push her onto either way in the game itself. And this is just me typing out what I'm thinking Shiny, please don't give me any absolutes.

Still - thanks for the explanation, dude.

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
I've written a character like her, then. And that's what - as a writer - I expected people to theorize about. It's an unfortunate fact, but it makes more sense than people believe it does.
I would also believe that it's pushed to a somewhat comical extent since it has fiction attached to it - but what do you think? Was it comical?
I ask with genuine intent, I don't know much about any character that'll be present in the game.

Not a lot you can do with characters like that after introductions - two courses, really; either corruption or understanding/aid of the condition. (And I don't mean just sexual corruption, corruption goes more than just one way.)
I wonder how much we'll be able to push her onto either way in the game itself. And this is just me typing out what I'm thinking Shiny, please don't give me any absolutes.

Still - thanks for the explanation, dude.
There wasn't much comedy in her early portrayals, she was definitely shown to be a broken young woman who'd had a miserable life. Her initial portrayal was very stoic - any humour came from people trying to explain that, yes, just because you're 15 and have a three-figure killcount, it doesn't necessarily mean that every problem needs to be solved with a disemboweling. Crucially, it was never because she was a Sabertooth-like sociopath, 'kill whatever problem stands in your way' was literally how she'd been raised and her bluntness was simply her reacting 'normally' to any situation that caused her issues. Additionally, unlike the majority of those kind of archetypal characters, she wanted to learn how to be better. As messed up as her life was, she knew everything about it was wrong. Her early appearances were thematically similar to Wolverine's, unsurprisingly, the beast learning to be a man, but it was played for tragedy instead of badassitude, and for a long time, any time she had to kill, no matter how justified (and the vast majority of the time, it absolutely was), she was shown as having felt like she failed herself.

Probably no surprise, given how much I just wrote, but I genuinely love the character, and I feel like many of the rough edges that made her interesting have been sanded off of her. I was stuck writing my own stuff last year, so whenever I get that kind of block, I'll work on something fanficcy to give me a break. I've been writing a thing based on the Evolution setting, taking Laura back to near her original characterization, where her, Rogue and the protagonist wind up in a semi-love triangle. But rather than it being bitter or destructive, the girls come to an understanding of sorts, where Rogue is capable of handling her emotions, but being unable to become physical, while Laura can be physical, but can't understand what she feels. There's something very interesting about that dynamic to me.

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
I come back here just to see her abs now.
Trully a gentleman.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I wasn't aware she was this good of a character. I love it - reminds me of mine.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
A challenge, that. Having to learn how to work with two different human beings to get to a place of comfort over the difference held between. I've written that myself, but with a different theme - the thread isn't about that, tho', but maybe we could chat in PMs if you'd like to talk further about our ventures in writing.

As for the beggining of your sentence - the dusting off of characters with depth just shows how they had no plan to restrain themselves to begin with. You got to see what was best from her and your imagination ran wild with it, and for that I guess you could feel satisfied enough to excuse what came next for her. Not that you should.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
One of her earliest portrayals in the comic was that she attached herself strongly to people who showed her any kindness - Zebra Daddy in NYX and Hellion in New X-Men being the most obvious ones - because her upbringing had left her unable to process emotions properly, or at least to understand what she was feeling (they never stated it outright, but that was my reading of it at least). As a result, her normal reactions - attraction, jealousy, sadness - wound up being pushed to extremes and she tended to be obsessively protective of even casual friends, just because they treated her like a regular girl. It was an interesting character angle that was dropped quickly, I assume for obvious reasons, but one I would've liked to see developed.
There wasn't much comedy in her early portrayals, she was definitely shown to be a broken young woman who'd had a miserable life. Her initial portrayal was very stoic - any humour came from people trying to explain that, yes, just because you're 15 and have a three-figure killcount, it doesn't necessarily mean that every problem needs to be solved with a disemboweling. Crucially, it was never because she was a Sabertooth-like sociopath, 'kill whatever problem stands in your way' was literally how she'd been raised and her bluntness was simply her reacting 'normally' to any situation that caused her issues. Additionally, unlike the majority of those kind of archetypal characters, she wanted to learn how to be better. As messed up as her life was, she knew everything about it was wrong. Her early appearances were thematically similar to Wolverine's, unsurprisingly, the beast learning to be a man, but it was played for tragedy instead of badassitude, and for a long time, any time she had to kill, no matter how justified (and the vast majority of the time, it absolutely was), she was shown as having felt like she failed herself.
Love your analysis my dude. Been trying to portray all this from my research and outlining to the head writer. Gonna share this with him. ;)

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
Trully a gentleman.

I wasn't aware she was this good of a character. I love it - reminds me of mine.
A lot of the focus on her early appearances is on the fact that she was a teenage prostitute - I don't think it was ever stated exactly how old she was, but she was implied to be about 15 or so when she showed up in the comics. They completely gloss over her habit of self-harming - and when you're born with foot-long blades and a healing factor, that's a dangerous habit to get into - or the fact that, in her next appearances in stuff like New X-Men, she was clearly suffering some serious issues, PTSD, etc. She's blunt and straightforward, but usually in a 'cutting the Gordian Knot' way, rather than a 'who gives a shit' kind of way, if that makes sense: you see a problem, you deal with it, you meet a threat, you make sure it can't be a threat anymore, someone hurts your friends, you make damn sure that doesn't happen again. The mid-to-late-00s weren't exactly a bastion of deep, or even good characterization, but there was some surprising nuance to be found and with Laura, I don't think they fully understood what they tapped into

Love your analysis my dude. Been trying to portray all this from my research and outlining to the head writer. Gonna share this with him. ;)
I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about her or give some suggested reading. I'd never say 'this is how she should be' or anything - how I write her is how I write her, and that's closer to how she was about ten years back when they had her as a conflicted goth kid trying to understand what her emotions are, rather than the 'badass mom ready to kill without a second thought' they usually have her now. That's the period I find more interesting (and goth girls will forever be my ultimate weakness, so that's a bonus).

4.60 star(s) 152 Votes