HTML The Outlaw: Empyrean War [v0.4c] [Flutewind]

jazz154

Jul 21, 2017
Gonna be honest, this is quite boring. It could use some better feedback on player actions and maybe a quest journal to know if there is anything you can do, how to do it/start it and when they are completed.
Some leveling system could be nice too and maybe condense fights so there is less clicking involved, since there is literally nothing fun about fights, it is just clicking "continue" again and again till your foe goes down for no apparent rewards either except for little text that your reputation was improved... by how much? No clue. Why do I need it? No clue. What it does? Again no clue.

Edit: Some more things
-"Who are you?" is not a demand, it is a question.
-Requirement to get heal is to have lock picking and heal itself... pretty sure it's wrong. Not that it matters since that heal seems to be doing nothing.
-Fighting system seems to be messed up. Sometimes it says that you did damage but enemy doesn't lose hp and vice versa.
-You get " You have triumphed over all four champions of the arena!" after first fight because variables are left undefined for champions.
-beating incubus in arena will throw
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
at you

Last edited:

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
Gonna be honest, this is quite boring. It could use some better feedback on player actions and maybe a quest journal to know if there is anything you can do, how to do it/start it and when they are completed.
Some leveling system could be nice too and maybe condense fights so there is less clicking involved, since there is literally nothing fun about fights, it is just clicking "continue" again and again till your foe goes down for no apparent rewards either except for little text that your reputation was improved... by how much? No clue. Why do I need it? No clue. What it does? Again no clue.

Edit: Some more things
-"Who are you?" is not a demand, it is a question.
-Requirement to get heal is to have lock picking and heal itself... pretty sure it's wrong. Not that it matters since that heal seems to be doing nothing.
-Fighting system seems to be messed up. Sometimes it says that you did damage but enemy doesn't lose hp and vice versa.
-You get " You have triumphed over all four champions of the arena!" after first fight because variables are left undefined for champions.
Hello! Thanks for the feedback. I'm on to fixing the bugs. Can you specify what you mean by 'Requirement to get heal is to have lock picking and heal itself.'? And can you point where the fighting system messes up (which enemy are you fighting)?

jazz154

Jul 21, 2017
Hello! Thanks for the feedback. I'm on to fixing the bugs. Can you specify what you mean by 'Requirement to get heal is to have lock picking and heal itself.'? And can you point where the fighting system messes up (which enemy are you fighting)?
Chest in forest is supposed to give heal if you have pick lock ability and heal. Which means that it will never give heal if you don't have heal already.
I noticed that some fights were taking longer than usual (goblin and bandit in first act) and it turned out that hp wasn't changing for some reason (for both player and enemy). No clue if some attacks were problem, but eventually it started decreasing again.

Reactions: Flutewind

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
Chest in forest is supposed to give heal if you have pick lock ability and heal. Which means that it will never give heal if you don't have heal already.
I noticed that some fights were taking longer than usual (goblin and bandit in first act) and it turned out that hp wasn't changing for some reason (for both player and enemy). No clue if some attacks were problem, but eventually it started decreasing again.
Ah, more chapter 1 shenanigans. Thanks for pointing them out. I'll be fixing them soon.

Edit:
Issue with lockpicking and heal is fixed. Still hunting down the HP-not-decreasing issue.

Reactions: jazz154

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
PROGRESS REPORT
I'll be writing these whenever there's something particularly interesting. This time, it's a streamlining of the fight system.

Previously, the fight goes like this:
Choose move -- move is executed -- check if anyone reaches 0 HP -- enemy move is executed -- check if anyone reaches 0 HP

This means 5 screens for just 1 move, and is understandably not an ideal system. The new system goes like this:

Choose move -- move is executed and the check occurs -- enemy move is executed and check is executed

This means 3 screens for 1 move. Hopefully it's a solid improvement over the old system.

Edit:
In light of a particularly nasty bug about the rewards for beating the incubus in the arena, I'll release 0.4b in a day or two, alongside various bugfixes and the new fight system.
Here's version 0.3, which is stable and relatively bug-free (at least nothing game-breaking).

Last edited:

jazz154

Jul 21, 2017
PROGRESS REPORT
I'll be writing these whenever there's something particularly interesting. This time, it's a streamlining of the fight system.

Previously, the fight goes like this:
Choose move -- move is executed -- check if anyone reaches 0 HP -- enemy move is executed -- check if anyone reaches 0 HP

This means 5 screens for just 1 move, and is understandably not an ideal system. The new system goes like this:

Choose move -- move is executed and the check occurs -- enemy move is executed and check is executed

This means 3 screens for 1 move. Hopefully it's a solid improvement over the old system.

Edit:
In light of a particularly nasty bug about the rewards for beating the incubus in the arena, I'll release 0.4b in a day or two, alongside various bugfixes and the new fight system.
Here's version 0.3, which is stable and relatively bug-free (at least nothing game-breaking).
" The lion roars loudly, summoning divine powers! You feel your magical strength drained! "
this enemy attack sets your MP to 118, which while nice doesn't seem to be intended.
Edit: a typo -
perhaps you cna find
-if you use 7 influence during council meeting to get priestess Selene it will instead default to execution.
-when you go to harbor then you get
-improving brothel is impossible since variable becomes "NaN" at some point.
-you can keep paying 1k for brothel by going to mayor-yvette-pay-mayor-yvette-pay and so on
-you can't knock out male orc in yvette quest since there is no way to inflict 2 injuries
-softer approach doesn't set twins as servants
-error during dahlia family questline

Last edited:

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
Flags as a virus by Microsoft defender. Fix your stuff man.
For whatever it's worth, this game is made with twine and nothing else, and I do not put any malware in it. It is likely a false positive.
this enemy attack sets your MP to 118, which while nice doesn't seem to be intended.
Edit: a typo -

-if you use 7 influence during council meeting to get priestess Selene it will instead default to execution.
-when you go to harbor then you get
-improving brothel is impossible since variable becomes "NaN" at some point.
-you can keep paying 1k for brothel by going to mayor-yvette-pay-mayor-yvette-pay and so on
-you can't knock out male orc in yvette quest since there is no way to inflict 2 injuries
-softer approach doesn't set twins as servants
-error during dahlia family questline
Thanks! Most issues are fixed. Can you specify:
-the typo
-where exactly in the dahlia family questline the error happens (a screenshot would be wonderful)

jazz154

Jul 21, 2017
For whatever it's worth, this game is made with twine and nothing else, and I do not put any malware in it. It is likely a false positive.

Thanks! Most issues are fixed. Can you specify:
-the typo
-where exactly in the dahlia family questline the error happens (a screenshot would be wonderful)
-"cna" should be "can"
-it happens when twins go to the forest with their tutor/father and you follow them with yvette, dahlia and amazon.
This thing "set $DahliaFamilyQuest Score += 1" throws that error
-handing over all woodcores makes coupons into "NaN"

Last edited:

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
-"cna" should be "can"
-it happens when twins go to the forest with their tutor/father and you follow them with yvette, dahlia and amazon.
This thing "set $DahliaFamilyQuest Score += 1" throws that error
-handing over all woodcores makes coupons into "NaN"
-yes I mean the exact passage where that happens
-Ah I see, I'm off to fixing them.
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

jazz154

Jul 21, 2017
-yes I mean the exact passage where that happens
I think it was part of main story? In any case if you ctrl+f, in any text editor, and paste sentence I quoted then you will only get one result.

That broke noble quest seems to stop after asking about his wife in bounty hunter office. Not sure if it's intended.
You can also get "Leaf-Crowned" twice, one from amazon girl and second time from amazon camp quests.

Last edited:

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
I think it was part of main story? In any case if you ctrl+f, in any text editor, and paste sentence I quoted then you will only get one result.

That broke noble quest seems to stop after asking about his wife in bounty hunter office. Not sure if it's intended.
You can also get "Leaf-Crowned" twice, one from amazon girl and second time from amazon camp quests.
Fixed. The Leaf-Crowned thingy was because of a bug in an earlier version making it unable to be obtained from amazon camp quest (which was the intended way). I'll remove the one from Thalestris in 0.4b.

jazz154

Jul 21, 2017
Fixed. The Leaf-Crowned thingy was because of a bug in an earlier version making it unable to be obtained from amazon camp quest (which was the intended way). I'll remove the one from Thalestris in 0.4b.
What's that pylo-something for in shop in K-something city? It was mentioned in ?Alice? noble lady quest line, but you never needed to buy it as far as I remember.
Also looting that vip ticket in goblin dungeon leads to weird interaction with bar owner acting as if you killed naga, taking revenge for his brother, even though it's first time meeting him. You can still kill naga after that, but it's just weird.
MC character felt strange too since I choose farmer class and then read him acting cocky to some weird ass mind demons that can probably kill him with a sneeze (my assumption back then).

So I finished the current version and I must say that act 2 was better than first one. Shame that many will drop this it at act one (I know I was considering it). Maybe make it so it's easier to see what player needs to do and what's their progress? Because it really felt boring killing goblins and bandits for few dozen of minutes, questioning if it was all that game has to offer.

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
What's that pylo-something for in shop in K-something city? It was mentioned in ?Alice? noble lady quest line, but you never needed to buy it as far as I remember.
Also looting that vip ticket in goblin dungeon leads to weird interaction with bar owner acting as if you killed naga, taking revenge for his brother, even though it's first time meeting him. You can still kill naga after that, but it's just weird.
MC character felt strange too since I choose farmer class and then read him acting cocky to some weird ass mind demons that can probably kill him with a sneeze (my assumption back then).

So I finished the current version and I must say that act 2 was better than first one. Shame that many will drop this it at act one (I know I was considering it). Maybe make it so it's easier to see what player needs to do and what's their progress? Because it really felt boring killing goblins and bandits for few dozen of minutes, questioning if it was all that game has to offer.
Plitasrun? If the motion Religious Freedom passes in the Council, Viscountess Alice already has a vial of plitasrun. Otherwise you need to buy it from Klatsch.

Ah, okay. Added a little extra sentences to make it less weird.

It seems that a rework for act 1 is urgently needed. I'll do it next update.

Jove76

Mar 13, 2019
This is ok. There are more than a few typos, and grammar mistakes, but presumably that will improve. The game-play mechanics are decent enough. The first thing I would address, if you want this project to succeed, is the way the combat is structured. Clicking four times just to resolve each round, after the action has been selected, is a massive hindrance to flow and enjoyment. This is exacerbated by the fact the hotlinks are not even in the same position, meaning "the grind" becomes less a matter of killing the same thing 20 times, and more a "hunt the hotlink" mini-game (which is the opposite of fun).

One hotlink to input the turn's action. One hotlink to resolve the turn. A third to resolve the opponent's turn is acceptable, if you really can't figure out how to code both to resolve on one page, but the additional pages are feces on a rose.

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
This is ok. There are more than a few typos, and grammar mistakes, but presumably that will improve. The game-play mechanics are decent enough. The first thing I would address, if you want this project to succeed, is the way the combat is structured. Clicking four times just to resolve each round, after the action has been selected, is a massive hindrance to flow and enjoyment. This is exacerbated by the fact the hotlinks are not even in the same position, meaning "the grind" becomes less a matter of killing the same thing 20 times, and more a "hunt the hotlink" mini-game (which is the opposite of fun).

One hotlink to input the turn's action. One hotlink to resolve the turn. A third to resolve the opponent's turn is acceptable, if you really can't figure out how to code both to resolve on one page, but the additional pages are feces on a rose.
Hello! I presume you're on version 0.4a (or a version before that)? Version 0.4b does exactly what you suggested: one hotlink to choose your move, one hotlink to execute the move, and one hotlink to execute the enemy's move.

Reactions: Jove76

ocjdb

Jun 24, 2024
Brothel is bugged, I have the ability to pay for it as many times as I want when talking to Yvette but it never shows up.

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
Brothel is bugged, I have the ability to pay for it as many times as I want when talking to Yvette but it never shows up.
By any chance, are you using a save from version 0.3, and then you're continuing to version 0.4?

ocjdb

Jun 24, 2024
By any chance, are you using a save from version 0.3, and then you're continuing to version 0.4?
I'm not, but if you can point me to a variable to edit in the save file that may help I would definitely appreciate it

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
I'm not, but if you can point me to a variable to edit in the save file that may help I would definitely appreciate it
$BrothelQuest to 3
More information:
$BrothelQuest = 1 is after meeting the mayor
$BrothelQuest = 2 is after Yvette's initial talk
$BrothelQuest = 3 is after paying 1000 coins to Yvette (at this point the brothel should open in Selvil)
$BrothelQuest = 4 is after giving Yvette the goblin slaves
$BrothelQuest = 5 is after acquiring Seira in exchange for the sword

I would also appreciate if you can send me your save file before you edit the variable. I did change variables a bit from 0.3 to 0.4 to handle some bugs. (If you met the mayor in 0.3 then talk to Yvette in 0.4 this bug you encountered might occur).