VN Others The Quest for Spankytown [v1.0] [OTK Productions]

SpankoMx

Aug 1, 2021
^If you check date and time, it was written BEFORE I talked to you. I wound up going to all the other places after this to find a way. Also you coming at me like this is not changing my impression of you. I'm not going back and fixing every post to try to clean up from what resulted of me having to track everything down, then you expect me to explain your circumstances? You're expecting way too much out of the fact that I'm a random guy that had to chase you down on multiple platforms. Ranting at me like this days later is just plain pissy.

For anyone that reads this besides him, what he said is right. There were all those issues and his side of things. That said, the game wasn't fun and didn't warrant any additional desire out of me to come here and sing its praises. However, given his above rant, I don't feel inclined to say anymore than this, the game is jank and I didn't enjoy it, and that's coming from a very hardcore femdom supporter.
Hating you the game it's not the problem. Let's see how it started. You made a ranting complaint about the download at itch.io. The only one I got from 600 times people who had downloaded it. Then you complain here.... then you complain at patreon.... now you complain that you had to chase me down on multiple platforms. Are you aware I'm not a video game company? You're complaining as if you bought a game and didn't get the support at the time you wanted. Do you understand I'm just a simple guy who's making his first video game as a hobby that it's FOR FREE? I have to work to earn a living, so sorry if I was not there, expectant to answer your first complaints at itch and here.

Reactions: daxjools

Antwit

Dec 20, 2018
How to use the configeration menu ? I want to tune the music etc. to use some preferences .

aqvaman

Mar 3, 2019
I've played this game quite a lot, almost made it to week 3, so I can finally give a (somewhat) educated review of it. Here's the TLDR version: it has a lot of potential, but it's a huge time dump. Even if you are the kind of player who doesn't give a shit about gaming and skip through all the content to get to the "good bits", it's still gonna be a long while until you actually see a spanking scene, which I found weird given the title. :) In my case, the first spanking scene involving the MC happened in the 2nd in-game week.

The first thing I wanna talk about is that I don't get why so many people are complaining about the download size. Either download the game or don't, no need to make such a tantrum about it (wink wink). As it happens, in this case, the large size is actually a good thing as it gets you somewhat invested and makes you push through a bit longer instead of deleting the game if you don't like the first couple of minutes.

Pros:

A much more complex and interesting story than you would actually expect; the writing is pretty good.
The renders look quite nice and there's a lot of detail in them even if you don't like the main character's appearance. (P.S. for the dev: you missed a watermark in a background, I think it was in one of the Kaleigh related dreams)
Some unique mechanics and content for the genre.
As far as I understand this is the developer's game so both which makes me think there's a lot of potential there.
I'm not sure if this is a pro or a con but even after over 10 hours of play time I'm not entirely sure how the developer intended the game to be played.

Cons:

I think some game mechanics could have been better explained at the beginning of the game. For example you find out that the rolls are not completely rng at the end of the first week. I loaded a save over 100 times trying to get a favorable roll in an attempt to "resist" during the first presentation and I was still unsuccessful. A little bit late in the game it was explained the rolls are related to the MC's flaws and I was fuming (you start out with lots of flaws and very few virtues).

If you're actually trying to do what the game tells you to do in order to beat it, this will actually turn out to be more of a load save simulation than you imagine. In Spankytown, everything relies on dice rolls: you wanna study, you need to roll over a specified amount to successfully do so; you wanna talk to a chick, you need to roll to have a successful conversation and so on. Additionally, most successful rolls increase the MC's skills while losing rolls increases his flaws, so I ended up saving and loading a whole bunch of time. Unfortunately, the transitions and text are pretty slow and there's no way to skip them so it takes a lot of time.

My biggest issue with the game is that it starts up too slow. It takes too long for the player to get to the more "interesting scenes", which takes away some of the fun. Furthermore, even the pre-menu intro is annoyingly slow for me. Don;t get me wrong it's funny... for the first couple of times... after that it;s just wasted time.

Another thing I didn't like was the school system: the teacher announces the subject she's teaching, followed by a roll x 2. You need to remember the subjects because when you study u need to pick them from a list however if you got an unsuccessful roll and loaded, the teacher also changes the subject which makes it a complete nightmare. Additionally, in the second week I had both the presentation and essay finished, but the MC started acting all panicky Thursday night about not being nearly finished with school for Friday...

Conclusion:

There's a lot more to say about the game but I feel like I already bored almost everyone reading this. :) In conclusion this game isn't for everyone; it's fun and surprisingly well made for a free game made by a single person, but be prepared to invest a lot of time into it even if you're not a reloading maniac such as myself.

P.S. for the dev: somewhere on the Internet, there's a game called G.I.A.N.T. World (Girls Implementing Anti-Naughtiness Techniques) made by Pandi360. You should check it out, there are a few conceptual similarities between the two of you.

Reactions: SpankoMx

SpankoMx

Aug 1, 2021
I've played this game quite a lot, almost made it to week 3, so I can finally give a (somewhat) educated review of it. Here's the TLDR version: it has a lot of potential, but it's a huge time dump. Even if you are the kind of player who doesn't give a shit about gaming and skip through all the content to get to the "good bits", it's still gonna be a long while until you actually see a spanking scene, which I found weird given the title. :) In my case, the first spanking scene involving the MC happened in the 2nd in-game week.

The first thing I wanna talk about is that I don't get why so many people are complaining about the download size. Either download the game or don't, no need to make such a tantrum about it (wink wink). As it happens, in this case, the large size is actually a good thing as it gets you somewhat invested and makes you push through a bit longer instead of deleting the game if you don't like the first couple of minutes.

Pros:

A much more complex and interesting story than you would actually expect; the writing is pretty good.
The renders look quite nice and there's a lot of detail in them even if you don't like the main character's appearance. (P.S. for the dev: you missed a watermark in a background, I think it was in one of the Kaleigh related dreams)
Some unique mechanics and content for the genre.
As far as I understand this is the developer's game so both which makes me think there's a lot of potential there.
I'm not sure if this is a pro or a con but even after over 10 hours of play time I'm not entirely sure how the developer intended the game to be played.

Cons:

I think some game mechanics could have been better explained at the beginning of the game. For example you find out that the rolls are not completely rng at the end of the first week. I loaded a save over 100 times trying to get a favorable roll in an attempt to "resist" during the first presentation and I was still unsuccessful. A little bit late in the game it was explained the rolls are related to the MC's flaws and I was fuming (you start out with lots of flaws and very few virtues).

If you're actually trying to do what the game tells you to do in order to beat it, this will actually turn out to be more of a load save simulation than you imagine. In Spankytown, everything relies on dice rolls: you wanna study, you need to roll over a specified amount to successfully do so; you wanna talk to a chick, you need to roll to have a successful conversation and so on. Additionally, most successful rolls increase the MC's skills while losing rolls increases his flaws, so I ended up saving and loading a whole bunch of time. Unfortunately, the transitions and text are pretty slow and there's no way to skip them so it takes a lot of time.

My biggest issue with the game is that it starts up too slow. It takes too long for the player to get to the more "interesting scenes", which takes away some of the fun. Furthermore, even the pre-menu intro is annoyingly slow for me. Don;t get me wrong it's funny... for the first couple of times... after that it;s just wasted time.

Another thing I didn't like was the school system: the teacher announces the subject she's teaching, followed by a roll x 2. You need to remember the subjects because when you study u need to pick them from a list however if you got an unsuccessful roll and loaded, the teacher also changes the subject which makes it a complete nightmare. Additionally, in the second week I had both the presentation and essay finished, but the MC started acting all panicky Thursday night about not being nearly finished with school for Friday...

Conclusion:

There's a lot more to say about the game but I feel like I already bored almost everyone reading this. :) In conclusion this game isn't for everyone; it's fun and surprisingly well made for a free game made by a single person, but be prepared to invest a lot of time into it even if you're not a reloading maniac such as myself.

P.S. for the dev: somewhere on the Internet, there's a game called G.I.A.N.T. World (Girls Implementing Anti-Naughtiness Techniques) made by Pandi360. You should check it out, there are a few conceptual similarities between the two of you.
Thank you very much for taking your time to make such a detailed review!!! I agree with everything you said. This is my first game, and as expected, I made a lot of mistakes. The first one was making the intro (the first two weeks) EXTREMELY LARGE AND TEDIOUS. My intention was to make kind of a VN to make players into the system and the story, but I exaggerated on it. At the stage you are, (week 3) is when all fun starts and you can unlock all content (many, many spanking scenes and some CFNM)

The panic you got on Thursday was because probably you hadn't studied the subjects and he got panicked. I'll start working soon on a patch that will transform the game in many ways, in order to improve the rhythm, change school system, double the content, shortening the intro, cutting the loading intro, speeding the transitions, etc... I'm also developing minigames in the meantime.

I've tried GIANT already, but only the free version because my credit card never worked with Subscriberstar. It was one of the games that inspired me to create mine. :)

See you around!

aqvaman

Mar 3, 2019
Coming back to the school stuff.... either I'm not getting something or the game isn't working as it should:
I studied all the right courses (the 6 that were taught throughout the week in the order they were presented - wrote them down just to make sure), but the character is still panicking Sunday night and gets 0 points at the test if he doesn't copy off Gretta. I don't know if it's a bug and the studying mechanic is completely broken or if I'm doing something wrong. The intelligence stat is pretty high (+4 on rolls) and stupidity is close to 0. (The only flaw that's still somewhat high is mousiness. Between 20 and 30)

There's another bug that's pretty annoying regarding the plant watering chore. The ones in the hallway are always "taken care of" (both left and right), but after watering the one in the dining room and the one in the living room the aunt still shows up angry for not completing the task. (In case you wanna try and recreate the bug, I've already made it possible to spy on the bathroom and I've watered all the plants in the house once without actually having it as a chore.)

Lastly, I don't get how the "friendship?" system works with the teacher. When Tina started to like me more I noticed a difference in her scenes, but I got as afar as "intimate" with the teacher and she still talks in the same derogatory way, won't share details about her private life and her scenes didn't change. I think a walkthrough or at least a guide would be super helpful.

tontoman

May 4, 2017
Coming back to the school stuff.... either I'm not getting something or the game isn't working as it should:
I studied all the right courses (the 6 that were taught throughout the week in the order they were presented - wrote them down just to make sure), but the character is still panicking Sunday night and gets 0 points at the test if he doesn't copy off Gretta. I don't know if it's a bug and the studying mechanic is completely broken or if I'm doing something wrong. The intelligence stat is pretty high (+4 on rolls) and stupidity is close to 0. (The only flaw that's still somewhat high is mousiness. Between 20 and 30)

There's another bug that's pretty annoying regarding the plant watering chore. The ones in the hallway are always "taken care of" (both left and right), but after watering the one in the dining room and the one in the living room the aunt still shows up angry for not completing the task. (In case you wanna try and recreate the bug, I've already made it possible to spy on the bathroom and I've watered all the plants in the house once without actually having it as a chore.)

Lastly, I don't get how the "friendship?" system works with the teacher. When Tina started to like me more I noticed a difference in her scenes, but I got as afar as "intimate" with the teacher and she still talks in the same derogatory way, won't share details about her private life and her scenes didn't change. I think a walkthrough or at least a guide would be super helpful.
Did you pass the roll checks when studying? That's where save scumming works well as if you failed, doesn't count as studied. I think he always panics on Sunday regardless, but you can get the 2 points if you get it all right.

Can't help with the plants, I never (maybe once) did all the chores. They take a ton of time (actual real time clicking and rolling) and if you miss even one, you get a full fail. And not doing any, ever, is perfectly viable. Unlike the tests, you don't get kicked out for that.

For Tina, yeah there are just minor changes in her every day life. Her punishment scenes can change a lot though. They move from the standard ones to more personal ones by hand. The disturbing class ones if you get 3 in a week. There was a mention in the Patreon about wanting to expand on what happens in school, so maybe more relationship effects later.

If you go to the itch.io site for the game, there is a walkthrough there.

Reactions: aqvaman

aqvaman

Mar 3, 2019
Did you pass the roll checks when studying? That's where save scumming works well as if you failed, doesn't count as studied. I think he always panics on Sunday regardless, but you can get the 2 points if you get it all right.

Can't help with the plants, I never (maybe once) did all the chores. They take a ton of time (actual real time clicking and rolling) and if you miss even one, you get a full fail. And not doing any, ever, is perfectly viable. Unlike the tests, you don't get kicked out for that.

For Tina, yeah there are just minor changes in her every day life. Her punishment scenes can change a lot though. They move from the standard ones to more personal ones by hand. The disturbing class ones if you get 3 in a week. There was a mention in the Patreon about wanting to expand on what happens in school, so maybe more relationship effects later.

If you go to the itch.io site for the game, there is a walkthrough there.

Yup, I rolled over 7 (reloaded when needed to); it gave me the "cleared subject" text; got 0 score in the test.
Noticed the Tina "hands-on" approach :p
Didn't know about the school or the walkthough though, thanks for that.
Cheers.