• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Mod Ren'Py The Roommate [v0.11.02 Public] - Walkthrough Plus+ Mod

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Game Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
Oh, so it is. I'm sorry, I'm so used to waiting a week for it to go public that I just assumed it would be this way this time. I still need some time before I can check it out, but it's good to know it's out for everybody.
Yeah, when I say public I mean Patreon, not here, as most releases here aren't usually public :p

crisbr

Mar 12, 2018
New version is up, my save is not working it only works with your mod I will wait for you because with your mod the game becomes more enjoyable and easier as we can see everything and much more

Emelex

Nov 15, 2018
New version is up, my save is not working it only works with your mod I will wait for you because with your mod the game becomes more enjoyable and easier as we can see everything and much more
I know it's up. I'll try to update my mod when I can, but I don't know when I'll be able to finish it. If anyone happens to know of a tool that can compare two analogous RPA file archives and automatically generate a list of all the files that were added/removed/changed, it would greatly expedite the process. Otherwise, I will have to compare them manually, which will take time.

Last edited:

Klistoff

May 19, 2023
I know it's up. I'll try to update my mod when I can, but I don't know when I'll be able to finish it. If anyone happens to know of a tool that can compare two analogous RPA file archives and automatically generate a list of all the files that were added/removed/changed, it would greatly expedite the process. Otherwise, I will have to compare them manually, which will take time.
Not sure if you can still get hold of it, but would most likely help you.

Emelex

Nov 15, 2018
Not sure if you can still get hold of it, but would most likely help you.
I'm not sure about WinDiff, but I've started looking into WinMerge to see if it could help me with this.
The Roommate Build 1101 is already out on Patreon, and I haven't even started on v0.10.09 due to how busy I've been and how many files JokerLeader changed in his v0.10.09 WT mod update, so I've decided I'm just going to skip a v0.10.09 build of the mod and go straight to an v0.11.01 update when it comes out. When v0.11 becomes available to the public, and I have time to compare all of the game's script files with mine again, I'll start working on modding it.

EDIT:
JokerLeader recently updated and released his WT mod for v0.11.01, so that should help me with the updating process.

Last edited:
Reactions: crisbr

crisbr

Mar 12, 2018
wonderful I will be waiting patiently because your mod is incredible the modifications you make make the game much better and you add more exciting dialogues because this game lacks good dialogues for exciting like Lois talking dirty you are incredible thank you

Jan 18, 2021
Git is probably the best tool for that. It may take a while to learn how to use it, but once you are familiar with it, you will never look back and you will be wondering why you wasted so much time managing your code with other primitive tools. ;)

Git can be used from the command line but it is also supported in Visual Studio Code and . You will easily find several guides for using Git or GitHub with Ren'Py and there are several Reddit discussions about it in r/RenPy so I will not get into the details of how to use git for Ren'Py files, how to set up .gitignore, etc. There are several tutorials that explain this better than I could. Instead, I will focus on the part about automatically tracking changes between the previous and current upstream versions (the official releases from togs) and between those versions and yours.

Git is very good at tracking and merging changes between source code files (such as rpy files). The basic idea is that you would keep two or three branches:
  • One branch for your own code. Call this branch "master" or "emelex" or whatever you want. This is the branch in which you will do all your work.
  • One branch for the upstream code from togs. Call this branch "upstream" or "official" or "togs" or whatever you want. You will never do any local modifications in this branch. Instead, whenever togs releases a new version, you will switch to this branch, copy all source files and store them in git with a single commit message that mentions the version number (0.10.x, 0.11.x, ...), then switch back to your master branch.
  • Optionally, one branch for JokerLeader's WT mod. Again, you will never work with the code in this branch: you will only commit the source files for each release.
When togs releases a new version and you copy it into the upstream branch, the "git status" command (or the equivalent in VS Code or any other development environment) will instantly tell you about all files that have been added or modified. You can then use "git diff" (or the equivalent command in your environment) to see what has changed in all files or in a specific file.

After that, you can switch back to your master branch and then use "git merge" (or equivalent) to merge all changes from the upstream branch into your branch. Git will not overwrite your files with the ones from the upstream branch; instead, the merge command will try to apply to your code the same changes that were done by togs in the upstream branch since the previous release.

At any time, you can use "git diff" (or equivalent) with the appropriate parameters to see a list of changes between your previous version and your current working version, or between your version and the one in the upstream branch, or again between the last two versions in the upstream branch, etc. This is what makes git so useful: as it keeps the complete revision history in all branches, you can check at any time what has changed within a branch or between branches.

Reactions: crisbr and Emelex

Juerhullycin

Feb 4, 2024
Git is probably the best tool for that. It may take a while to learn how to use it, but once you are familiar with it, you will never look back and you will be wondering why you wasted so much time managing your code with other primitive tools. ;)

Git can be used from the command line but it is also supported in Visual Studio Code and . You will easily find several guides for using Git or GitHub with Ren'Py and there are several Reddit discussions about it in r/RenPy so I will not get into the details of how to use git for Ren'Py files, how to set up .gitignore, etc. There are several tutorials that explain this better than I could. Instead, I will focus on the part about automatically tracking changes between the previous and current upstream versions (the official releases from togs) and between those versions and yours.

Git is very good at tracking and merging changes between source code files (such as rpy files). The basic idea is that you would keep two or three branches:
  • One branch for your own code. Call this branch "master" or "emelex" or whatever you want. This is the branch in which you will do all your work.
  • One branch for the upstream code from togs. Call this branch "upstream" or "official" or "togs" or whatever you want. You will never do any local modifications in this branch. Instead, whenever togs releases a new version, you will switch to this branch, copy all source files and store them in git with a single commit message that mentions the version number (0.10.x, 0.11.x, ...), then switch back to your master branch.
  • Optionally, one branch for JokerLeader's WT mod. Again, you will never work with the code in this branch: you will only commit the source files for each release.
When togs releases a new version and you copy it into the upstream branch, the "git status" command (or the equivalent in VS Code or any other development environment) will instantly tell you about all files that have been added or modified. You can then use "git diff" (or the equivalent command in your environment) to see what has changed in all files or in a specific file.

After that, you can switch back to your master branch and then use "git merge" (or equivalent) to merge all changes from the upstream branch into your branch. Git will not overwrite your files with the ones from the upstream branch; instead, the merge command will try to apply to your code the same changes that were done by togs in the upstream branch since the previous release.

At any time, you can use "git diff" (or equivalent) with the appropriate parameters to see a list of changes between your previous version and your current working version, or between your version and the one in the upstream branch, or again between the last two versions in the upstream branch, etc. This is what makes git so useful: as it keeps the complete revision history in all branches, you can check at any time what has changed within a branch or between branches.
i second all this, the wall of text makes it look far more daunting than it is, git is around for a long time, easy to learn, and the internet is full of tutorials and nifty tricks for it.

Reactions: Emelex

Gman131

Sep 20, 2017
.rpa files are just text files right? Or is that just .rpy files?
Because if so, if you're using Notepad++ there's a Compare plugin that lets you immediately know what lines are different from eachother between two files

Emelex

Nov 15, 2018
.rpa files are just text files right? Or is that just .rpy files?
Because if so, if you're using Notepad++ there's a Compare plugin that lets you immediately know what lines are different from eachother between two files
RPA files are Ren'Py archives containing, in this case, around 100 different .rpy files, which are basically text files containing game scripts. I'm going to try to start working on the mod now, but again, it could take a while, because not only will I have to check what changes togs made to all of those script files since v0.10.08, but also what changes JokerLeader made to them in his mod to make sure I don't miss or leave anything out.

Reactions: evaboy01 and crisbr

Off_Kilter

Donor
Jul 1, 2021
...because not only will I have to check what changes togs made to all of those script files since v0.10.08, but also what changes JokerLeader made to them in his mod to make sure I don't miss or leave anything out.
I like to use WinMerge for the compare, as you can open 3 files at a time to compare...and it's free.

Anyway, I really enjoy your mod! Thanks for making it.

Reactions: Emelex

Emelex

Nov 15, 2018
I like to use WinMerge for the compare, as you can open 3 files at a time to compare...and it's free.

Anyway, I really enjoy your mod! Thanks for making it.
You're welcome. I've updated around twelve of the script files so far, but there's around 67 in total, and togs added a bunch of "label .monday:"-type headers to the tops of a bunch of them in the v0.10.09 update. So, it'll take a while to get through the rest.

Last edited:

Off_Kilter

Donor
Jul 1, 2021
You're welcome. I've updated around twelve of the script files so far, but there's around 67 in total, and togs added a bunch of "label .monday:"-type headers to the tops of a bunch of them in the v0.10.09 update. So, it'll take a while to get through the rest.
Well, take your time and continue to give us a great product. No pressure from me! I've built mods for the public and I didn't like dealing with the pressure, so I stopped sharing and only make them for myself now...which I have to admit makes me a bit 'Off_Kilter'. I may share my mod for 'A Mother's Love' someday, it basically fixes all the the super formal English to a more casual version...much easier to read. I've been through all the scripts once and I'm 10/13 on my second pass. Maybe when the game is complete I'll share it...when there is no pressure.

arone tajhiri

Feb 11, 2018
when you update, Would it need a new game?

Reactions: crisbr

Emelex

Nov 15, 2018
when you update, Would it need a new game?
I don't think so. I was able to load my old save files just fine so far, but I haven't finished editing all of the files yet, so I won't know for sure until I do.

WinMerge is actually working pretty well for me, and it's helping me to quickly see the differences between JokerLeader's WT v0.10.08 & v0.11.01, though there are several script files Joker didn't edit that I did which I will have to check manually.

Emelex

Nov 15, 2018
I wish I can see everything in one go all paths
I certainly tried my best to do that with this mod.
Speaking of, The Roommate Walkthrough Plus+ Mod has finally been updated to v0.11.01! I haven't tested it on a full playthrough of the game from start to finish yet, but it should work just fine. If any of you encounter any errors, please tell me, and please delete any old versions of ch20.rpy and ch20.rpyc you might have in your game folder; they were removed from the mod because the base game's versions currently work fine on their own.

Reactions: crisbr and Klistoff
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes