VN Ren'Py The Silver Lining [v0.8] [Namuswill]

4.90 star(s) 20 Votes

isaaac2

Nov 12, 2022
Thank you for your work! If in the future, when the game is more polished, you make it a buyable game, i'll be there :D

fortuna95

Lezz kiss for peace!
Donor
Feb 7, 2018
It will be interesting to see if he meets the deadline for the first time ;)

Screenshot 2024-03-08 114409.png

But "small update" again - I don't like it. I think I'll cancel my membership, if the next one isn't "beefy".

Deckmaster

Jul 30, 2017
It feels like a small update unless you use more saves and follow different routes. The more forks put in the more work it takes to complete all routes.

seaoflove

Jan 31, 2023
It will be interesting to see if he meets the deadline for the first time ;)

View attachment 3422091

But "small update" again - I don't like it. I think I'll cancel my membership, if the next one isn't "beefy".
I don't understand why any developer would ever miss a self imposed deadline. Nobody forces them to impose a deadline on themself for starters. Why not just wait until you have at least a beta version of an update on hand before setting any deadlines? It never looks good for a developer to miss any deadline even if they are off by a day, and often times it is many days or weeks or even over a month.

qazxsw80

Sep 1, 2019
I don't understand why any developer would ever miss a self imposed deadline. Nobody forces them to impose a deadline on themself for starters. Why not just wait until you have at least a beta version of an update on hand before setting any deadlines? It never looks good for a developer to miss any deadline even if they are off by a day, and often times it is many days or weeks or even over a month.
They make those deadlines for themselves - for motivation. It is like you tell everyone that you are going to quit smoking, lose weight or whatever, and so you work harder to do what you promised not to look foolish.

seaoflove

Jan 31, 2023
They make those deadlines for themselves - for motivation. It is like you tell everyone that you are going to quit smoking, lose weight or whatever, and so you work harder to do what you promised not to look foolish.
Okay, and look at it like this then. Suppose I want to lose 50 pounds.

So, I setup a workout schedule, and a diet for myself.

Why should I post anything on social media at this point in time? That is way too soon to tell anyone anything.

Because, if after 3 weeks I stop working out, and go back to eating fast food... Turns out I actually gained a few pounds...

The next time I post on social media, and I haven't lost any weight, and I'm up a few. I look like a damn fool!

On the other hand...

If I made that routine, and life changes and kept to it. I'm 48 pounds in to losing the weight. Only 2 more to go. Then I post on social media "2 more pounds to go to hit my goal weight."

Then I can post pictures of before and after, and everyone is coming in like, "You are looking great buddy!" and "Way to go!"

Deadlines don't need to be "External" They can be kept "Internal" until progress is shown and you are near a goal that is within reach.

Break it down into a matrix with 4 outcomes.

Post about yes/no
Complete it yes/no

If post = yes & complete = yes then I win.
If post = yes & complete = No then I lose.
If post = no & complete = No then I draw
If post = no & complete = yes then I win.

Posting = Win & lose
Not Posting = Win & draw

Not posting is the only thing that makes sense.

This approach aligns with a risk-averse strategy, minimizing the potential negative consequences associated with public announcements that may not be met.

Reactions: haku_zen

qazxsw80

Sep 1, 2019
Why should I post anything on social media at this point in time? That is way too soon to tell anyone anything.
That's the whole point. To tell everyone before you started. It motivates people not to "look like a damn fool".
Then I can post pictures of before and after, and everyone is coming in like, "You are looking great buddy!" and "Way to go!"
For many people it is less motivational. Negative motivation is stronger for them than positive one.

You cannot describe human behavior through a simple matrix. It is more complex than that. It is not math, it is psychology.

seaoflove

Jan 31, 2023
That's the whole point. To tell everyone before you started. It motivates people not to "look like a damn fool".

For many people it is less motivational. Negative motivation is stronger for them than positive one.

You cannot describe human behavior through a simple matrix. It is more complex than that. It is not math, it is psychology.
You can describe human behavior with a matrix, but you usually need more than one matrix. The way you describe it is a different matrix than the matrix I described, but still a matrix.

Your matrix goes something like this:

Immediate Satisfaction gained from posting? yes/no +1 for yes +0 for no
Completed Goal? yes/no +1 for yes +0 for no

Posting = Yes & Completed Goal = yes = +2
Posting = Yes & completed goal = No = +1
Posting = No & Completed Goal = Yes = +1
Posting = No & Completed Goal = No = +0

So, in your new alternate matrix it seems to make sense to only post. You get +2 or +1 vs +1 or +0

However, it is not an accurate matrix... There will certainly be blow-back from any missed goal if you are at all realistic.

If we adjust for that added blowback then a more accurate matrix would be:

Posting = Yes & Completed goal = yes +2
Posting = Yes & completed goal = No = -2 (You lose 3 points for missing a goal as I view the consequences as higher)
Posting = No & Completed goal = Yes = +1
Posting = No & Completed goal = No = 0

So, in the new matrix that I created the best possible outcome comes from posting & completing your goal. However, this also comes with a risk of -3 if you miss the goal. So "High Risk High Reward".

qazxsw80

Sep 1, 2019
Immediate Satisfaction gained from posting? yes/no +1 for yes +0 for no
Completed Goal? yes/no +1 for yes +0 for no
It is not about satisfaction from posting or even achieving a goal. It is about a probability of achieving it. Posting or not changes that probability for some people since it influences their thinking process about achieving that goal. Much more so than just a thought "when I achieve the goal and post my results, people will congratulate me". I don't see where your matrices depict that.

seaoflove

Jan 31, 2023
It is not about satisfaction from posting or even achieving a goal. It is about a probability of achieving it. Posting or not changes that probability for some people since it influences their thinking process about achieving that goal. Much more so than just a thought "when I achieve the goal and post my results, people will congratulate me". I don't see where your matrices depict that.
Announcing a potential future event should have no impact if that event will happen or not.

If I post on here. "Later I am going to go to the gas station to put some gas in my car for the week, and grab a gallon of milk." Well, I probably wouldn't post that on here because you are all online and who cares what some random asshole online does? Yet, I could announce this to say my wife, say in the form of a text or a note, so that she knows I'm getting milk tonight.

That doesn't change what I'm going to do when it comes to me completing the task of putting gas in my car and picking up some milk for cereal.

If the only reason I was going to go get that milk and gas was my announcement to do so then that is the wrong way to go about doing things.

If tomorrow morning comes along and the wife looks in the fridge after I texted her today, "I'm getting milk." Then she finds no milk, she will be upset. More so than if there was no milk, and no message.

It would have made more sense to announce getting the milk afterwards. "Hey, I got milk." It's already done.

Now I could have asked before hand, "Do we need anything other than milk?" And that would serve the purpose of getting more than just the milk, perhaps we needed a loaf of bread as well.

However, I shouldn't tell her that I'm getting the milk & bread before I got the milk & bread or at least I'm on my way to the gas station to get them and it's all for sure I'm going to get them unless something completely catastrophic happens like a car accident for example.

It is far better to under promise and over deliver than to over promise and under deliver.

Reactions: Turbo4elik

megalol

Engaged Member
Modder
Game Compressor
Apr 3, 2017
Silver Lining v0.7

Downloads
Content
So, what's happening in 0.7? It's a small update, only one day that mostly deals with some of the decisions you have made so far, mainly Frank's task and kiss with Juliette, there's also a small scene with Tommy if you have romanced him. A couple of bug have been fixed and some previous text has been re-written in Juliette's scene, but those are not really huge changes.

4.90 star(s) 20 Votes