Balbaar

Oct 14, 2017
Are all the sex scenes in this game shown only through a single image? It's definitely well-written and all but since it's supposed to be a VN, I tend to expect there to be a decent balance between showing and telling. So far the showing seems to be bare minimum compared to the telling though, and even though the writing is pretty good, what I'm reading is not what I'm seeing for most of the scenes' duration.. At least regarding the scenes I've seen so far.

kiljaeden

Jun 2, 2019
Are all the sex scenes in this game shown only through a single image? It's definitely well-written and all but since it's supposed to be a VN, I tend to expect there to be a decent balance between showing and telling. So far the showing seems to be bare minimum compared to the telling though, and even though the writing is pretty good, what I'm reading is not what I'm seeing for most of the scenes' duration.. At least regarding the scenes I've seen so far.
The developer can't do that with 338 dollars from patreon. Art is expensive and time consuming.

forexcub

Jul 18, 2018
For some reason, this game reminds me of Age of Decadence, especially in the Warrior route. Can we expect a Steam release, maybe in the future?

Balbaar

Oct 14, 2017
The developer can't do that with 338 dollars from patreon. Art is expensive and time consuming.
I can understand that for the most part, sure. That being said, creating a game with several branching paths is also time consuming yet that's exactly what they're trying to do. There's a good chance those 338 dollars would increase if they would spend a little more of that time fleshing out some of the paths we already have with a few more pieces of artwork.
The writing is good and manages to carry some of the scenes, however there are also scenes that could really do with an extra one or two pictures. For example, during a certain BJ scene the art that's there doesn't even show what's being described for 90 percent of it. Even the "grand finale" of said scene doesn't show us anything different besides adding a few cum splatters, which causes it to feel a bit lackluster because again, the text describes something entirely different.

I do get that stuff like this costs time and money, but I've seen other games do more with less so it's not impossible. I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea to spend a little more time and money fleshing out the visuals of one path, before moving on to the next. In my experience people are much more likely to support a game when they see one or two very high quality paths, as opposed to many decent quality paths.

kiljaeden

Jun 2, 2019
I can understand that for the most part, sure. That being said, creating a game with several branching paths is also time consuming yet that's exactly what they're trying to do. There's a good chance those 338 dollars would increase if they would spend a little more of that time fleshing out some of the paths we already have with a few more pieces of artwork.
The writing is good and manages to carry some of the scenes, however there are also scenes that could really do with an extra one or two pictures. For example, during a certain BJ scene the art that's there doesn't even show what's being described for 90 percent of it. Even the "grand finale" of said scene doesn't show us anything different besides adding a few cum splatters, which causes it to feel a bit lackluster because again, the text describes something entirely different.

I do get that stuff like this costs time and money, but I've seen other games do more with less so it's not impossible. I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea to spend a little more time and money fleshing out the visuals of one path, before moving on to the next. In my experience people are much more likely to support a game when they see one or two very high quality paths, as opposed to many decent quality paths.
Every issue you mentioned would be fixed if he received 1000 dollars from patreon. I am personally okay with this many branches and routes. Makes the game unique and increases the replayability a lot.

Balbaar

Oct 14, 2017
Every issue you mentioned would be fixed if he received 1000 dollars from patreon. I am personally okay with this many branches and routes. Makes the game unique and increases the replayability a lot.
They would also be fixed if he spent more time on a scene adding some more art, before moving on to another. A thousand dollars from patreon isn't required, a simple shift in priorities is all it takes. Instead of pumping out 10 decent single image scenes, take the time to create 4 or 5 great scenes using 2 or even 3 images to actually show us what the text describes.
I also very much enjoy seeing a bunch of branching paths to choose from, and what I suggested doesn't take anything away from that. Yes, it'll take a bit longer to see other paths progress, but the content that's there would feel more finished and polished as a result.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him receive a thousand bucks a month and let the money do the talking. But since that's not a reality at the moment, I think my suggestion would help him produce a higher quality game right now, and possibly speed up the rate at which he's gaining support.

AlliebuttDK

Jun 8, 2021
They would also be fixed if he spent more time on a scene adding some more art, before moving on to another. A thousand dollars from patreon isn't required, a simple shift in priorities is all it takes. Instead of pumping out 10 decent single image scenes, take the time to create 4 or 5 great scenes using 2 or even 3 images to actually show us what the text describes.
I also very much enjoy seeing a bunch of branching paths to choose from, and what I suggested doesn't take anything away from that. Yes, it'll take a bit longer to see other paths progress, but the content that's there would feel more finished and polished as a result.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him receive a thousand bucks a month and let the money do the talking. But since that's not a reality at the moment, I think my suggestion would help him produce a higher quality game right now, and possibly speed up the rate at which he's gaining support.
Doing it that way, also hits the issue that we won't see nearly as many updates, which would also severely hamper growth in the long run. Some people are interested in specific paths, be it princess or slave or whatever, and putting too much focus on one path at a time, would be likely to make those demographics stop supporting financially as well. There's no easy way to go about it, but I think appealing to a wider audience with more paths, is more likely to increase the growth of their Patreon account, rather than less overall content for a wider range of people.

Balbaar

Oct 14, 2017
Doing it that way, also hits the issue that we won't see nearly as many updates, which would also severely hamper growth in the long run. Some people are interested in specific paths, be it princess or slave or whatever, and putting too much focus on one path at a time, would be likely to make those demographics stop supporting financially as well. There's no easy way to go about it, but I think appealing to a wider audience with more paths, is more likely to increase the growth of their Patreon account, rather than less overall content for a wider range of people.
It's not that we would see fewer updates, but more of the development time would be spent improving on the scenes and adding more content/art before moving on to the next one. That being said, you did make me rethink some of the things I mentioned and you may have a point. I still think my suggestion is a good approach for most games, but it might not be a good idea for Daedalus to change things up at this point.
You're probably right that it would hamper growth in the long run since they've already put a lot of effort into developing and planning so many different branching paths. Changing things up now would likely cause many of the planned and unfinished paths to go untouched for a very long time, which could indeed disappoint their current supporters.

Then I'll just hold out hope that they will revisit and improve on many of the scenes and artwork in the future once the game gets closer to completion.
I do really enjoy the writing in this game, and the paths I've tried so far all seem very interesting in their own right. The character and world building almost makes it feel like I'm reading a fantasy novel at times which is great. If they manage to eventually match the quality (and quantity) of the artwork with the quality of the writing this could easily be a top 10 or even top 5 game if you ask me.

HappyDaedalus

Game Developer
Dec 30, 2021
Then I'll just hold out hope that they will revisit and improve on many of the scenes and artwork in the future once the game gets closer to completion.
I do really enjoy the writing in this game, and the paths I've tried so far all seem very interesting in their own right. The character and world building almost makes it feel like I'm reading a fantasy novel at times which is great. If they manage to eventually match the quality (and quantity) of the artwork with the quality of the writing this could easily be a top 10 or even top 5 game if you ask me.
I definitely don't mind any feedback, good or bad, and I do actually agree with some of the points you've raised. I love scenes with multiple pieces of artwork, one of my own personal favorites is Sarah slaying the demon, which consists of 3 pieces.

Producing the game has many challenges that unfortunately require a lot of balancing. There is both a balance of my own time and then there is a balance of the available resources that I have to create the game.

I usually don't like to write too much about it, because I don't want to come off as e-begging, especially when I am in no situation where I am in need of money and I know there are a lot of people, especially in times like these, that can definitely use every $/€ they earn.

But the simple truth is that 2d art, especially of what I consider an acceptable quality, is just very expensive and time-consuming to produce. I knew that going in, and I also consciously made a choice to go for 2d over 3d.

On top of that I also feel like I owe people a reasonable deadline, which I've put in my mind as 2-3 years. I don't like the idea of dragging out the story/game endlessly. To hit that target, it's going to require a certain pace per month. I only have so many illustrations that I can have made per update, so I have to use them conservatively to avoid using black-screens.

If I doubled my production time to 2-months, I would have more artwork per update, but it would cut the speed of the story in half. In any other game, that might not be as much of an issue, because each update contains content that the players might enjoy, but for my game some updates revolve around stories that people care more/less about, so that could mean a particular route ends up being stagnant for too long.

Now, none of this is intended as a woe-is-me type of post, I enjoy making the game, despite the challenge, the time and the costs. It really is a project that I enjoy. And as I mentioned above, I do really value feedback of any kind. I simply made this post with the intention to hopefully clarify some of the differing challenges that come along with producing a 2d game with wildly branching paths, and why I make some of the production decisions that I do.

kiljaeden

Jun 2, 2019
I checked all the paths. Mage and enslaved paths are the most interesting imo. Traveling with Geralt of Rivia and Sakar comes after these two. I am really enjoying writing of this game. With enough budget and time this can be 5/5 game.

kionaru

Nov 14, 2018
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 8067, in script
    jump UnionKingdom1
ScriptError: could not find label 'UnionKingdom1'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    jump UnionKingdom1
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1757, in execute
    rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
  File "renpy/script.py", line 918, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-10-10.0.22000
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
The Survival of Sarah Rose V0.60
Tue Sep 13 09:52:43 2022

kionaru

Nov 14, 2018
how
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    jump UnionKingdom1

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    jump UnionKingdom1
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1757, in execute
    rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
  File "renpy/script.py", line 918, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-10-10.0.22000
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
The Survival of Sarah Rose V0.60
Tue Sep 13 09:52:43 2022
how to fix this?

4.50 star(s) 60 Votes