Mod Ren'Py The Tyrant: S A Z Mod [Update 0.9.4b Official][Mod][S A Z]

4.90 star(s) 50 Votes

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hello Everyone!

I just thought I would touch base on a couple things that have come up and it also relates to these last two posts as well, so I hope you don't mind if I respond to your posts with a bit of a longer explanation, Knight2416 and RabidSloth. :D

I've touched on this before in my post here, but it's not just about waiting to see if Saddog ever returns. He may never do so. That is just the best case scenario because there are other factors that come in play that limit my current abilities to just go ahead and finish the game.

I don't have all the needed Daz3D assets to create all of the environments and characters(and outfits) in the game yet. Many of those have been identified, but some still haven't. And getting those items, through official methods, or otherwise, takes time. Then there are hardware limitations I'm dealing with. Which of course limits how quickly I can render my own content. Which is okay for now, again, I don't do this for money, it's a hobby for me. I'm just enjoying the process of working on this as I get time away from work and daily life to create something fun. Which brings me to my time limitations. I've been very up front with my limited available time to work on the mod right now.

Some people have recommended using a team to complete work on the game, and I understand the reasoning behind that. It can be a very beneficial way to work. But having acted as a project manger in my own field of work many times, I also understand that there is some give and take in that situation as well. It takes a good deal of time to properly manage a team and keep a project on target. And with the little time I do have, I don't want to spend it communicating with and managing a team, when I could be spending that time creating more content on the mod, the process of which, I enjoy doing far more.

So what this all means is, I can create certain things now for the mod, some additions that don't require the assets I'm currently missing and make alterations to the mechanics in game and dialogue along those same lines. Many of those things are from a list of requests and possible mod additions I have built along the way. I intend to keep working on those and incorporating fan-arts of either my own creation or from the fan-art thread were possible to give us some new content as I can. While I'm doing this, I'm going to be building my library of those missing assets so that one day, I can possibly create a worthy ending if still needed.

I mentioned in the linked post earlier, that this process of working on my list of possible additions and collecting assets could take me a good deal of time, months or even a year. But that is really only a guess. I honestly have no idea when I'll be ready to start working on "completing" the game. I'm not going to give myself a "deadline" though. I hate working to one when it concerns my hobby. It takes away all of the fun and my drive to do it and I'm not making that mistake again. I'm sorry for those users wanting a different answer than that. But I know doing it any other way for me is a recipe for burnout and I'm still enjoying working on this mod after all this time and I don't want that to stop. So I need to protect that. Even if you don't necessarily agree with it, I hope this helps you understand where I'm coming from.

That being said, I do want you to know that I've already been looking a number of possible ways to compete that game. From completing the game using renders already in the game, or possibly just doing static renders of each character and placing them over a location background like a more traditional VN, and a few other "What If" scenarios for completing the game. I'm constantly thinking of options and I never know what could happen around the corner. Circumstances change and I'm willing to adapt my position or personal timeline should things change to allow that. I'm not going to lie, I do still hope that Saddog surprises us all and comes back out of the blue with a completed game (but I'm not planning on this). It would be best to have his ending, as any ending I make would/will be an ending according to SAZ, it's possible or more likely probable, that not everyone would like the direction I decide to take it. You just never know with this sort of thing.

Anyway, this is more than enough out of me. I'm going back to work. I hope you all are doing well and staying safe. :)
Yo, SAZ, let me be as straight forward as we Germans can be by telling you that the original game is a cluster-fuck!

Taking over the project and continuing developing is nearly impossible without a proper team. Of course doable, but it will drain you faster than you might think. So, don't underestimate that.

After playing both version of "The Tyrant", with and without your MOD, I understand why Saddog gave up on it (pure speculation). The game design is or was too ambitious for a single Dev to handle. Many will disagree, but look at it:
  • ~10 characters in total.
  • 3 to 4 paths. Each single path further splits into corruptions/love branches (for each character).
  • Even more branches if you consider the relationship between the girls on different paths (corruption/love level).
  • Sandbox design with time slots that need to be filled reflecting all possible "choice-path-branch"-combinations.
  • Different dialogues for each path/choice etc. reflecting the girls character change on each path/branch.
To cover everything I wrote above is already a ton of work for a single person. On the other hand you have the advantage that you don't have to deliver an update to any patrons/supports. That might take the wind off your sail, but also might lead to not progress further or not fast enough.

Please don't get me wrong I like The Tyrant and I love the idea/plot behind it, but I also think the game has to cut paths/branches and game mechanics to be developable for an indie developer with limited resources. Right now it feels like that there are 2 or 3 games packed in single one. There is also a good reason why major game studios don't offer choice-based and multi-path games, because due to the combination, variations, permutations which are caused by each choice/path.

I think Saddog lost himself somewhere in all of this, because he didn't think this entirely through. Too ambitious, too big, too packed.

So, instead continuing on Saddog's crumbling foundation I would say it would be better to start all-over again from the ground. And then perhaps with a more manageable and trimmed version with your own story.

Please don't think of my post as a rant, because that isn't my intention. I simple wanted to share my "IMHO" together with my thoughts from my experiences as game developer working on an adult game in a team.

Cheers mate!

/Cold

Rufio

Sep 4, 2017
Sure. I have the permanent links on one site as it's easy to manage, but I'm happy to add temporary links when requested. These links are still active from a previous request. You can find them here.
Thanks bud!

Not sure what the issue with mega is, but the actual page won't load, and when i try to go to my account the page still won't load, so much appreciated!

Reactions: S A Z

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Yo, SAZ, let me be as straight forward as we Germans can be by telling you that the original game is a cluster-fuck!

Taking over the project and continuing developing is nearly impossible without a proper team. Of course doable, but it will drain you faster than you might think. So, don't underestimate that.

After playing both version of "The Tyrant", with and without your MOD, I understand why Saddog gave up on it (pure speculation). The game design is or was too ambitious for a single Dev to handle. Many will disagree, but look at it:
  • 3 to 4 paths. Each single path further splits into corruptions/love branches (for each character).
  • Even more branches if you consider the relationship between the girls on different paths (corruption/love level).
  • Sandbox design with time slots that need to be filled reflecting all possible "choice-path-branch"-combinations.
  • Different dialogues for each path/choice etc. reflecting the girls character change on each path/branch.
To cover everything I wrote above is already a ton of work for a single person. On the other hand you have the advantage that you don't have to deliver an update to any patrons/supports. That might take the wind off your sail, but also might lead to not progress further or not fast enough.

Please don't get me wrong I like The Tyrant and I love the idea/plot behind it, but I also think the game has to cut paths/branches and game mechanics to be developable for an indie developer with limited resources. Right now it feels like that there are 2 or 3 games packed in single one. There is also a good reason why major game studios don't offer choice-based and multi-path games, because due to the combination, variations, permutations which are caused by each choice/path.

I think Saddog lost himself somewhere in all of this, because he didn't think this entirely through. Too ambitious, too big, too packed.

So, instead continuing on Saddog's crumbling foundation I would say it would be better to start all-over again from the ground. And then perhaps with a more manageable and trimmed version with your own story.

Please don't think of my post as a rant, because that isn't my intention. I simple wanted to share my "IMHO" together with my thoughts from my experiences as game developer working on an adult game in a team.

Cheers mate!

/Cold
All good points, but it's so close to being finished that it's probably better to just make a somewhat decent ending to the thing for closure.

Conrad-N7

May 8, 2020
Anyone could possibly port this to android. Really love the game and the mod...but prefer such things on mobile xD

Last edited:

Raknor

May 12, 2019
Hey SAZ. When you put out the hot fixes, on the original post, could you put in the Changelog what the hot fix does and a date on when it was released as well as make a change to the title to reflect a new hotfix/patch? I, as I'm sure other people out there, watch your thread from a distance, meaning that we look at the actual title of the post and see if it has been changed. We watch to see if the actual version is changed. If you add hot fixes that adds a lot of new content, those that follow from a distance will have a hard time knowing this is happening.

Liam the Handyman

Jan 24, 2021
All good points, but it's so close to being finished that it's probably better to just make a somewhat decent ending to the thing for closure.
Jumping in to say i agree with this. Better to have a logical closure plus adding in some missing items (like the corruption appearances and scenes) will still be enough to put this as a good completed game.

Reactions: RabidSloth

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Jumping in to say i agree with this. Better to have a logical closure plus adding in some missing items (like the corruption appearances and scenes) will still be enough to put this as a good completed game.
Was it really "close" to be finished? :unsure:

I think Nicole and Alexis got their fair share of content what you can't say for Cassandra, not to mention the other girls ( Irina, Susan, Vivian etc.), who don't got any content.

Wasn't Steve, former left hand of Davide, completely written out after the first few updates?

Reactions: Koulo077

Liam the Handyman

Jan 24, 2021
Well.. its at least 70% done imo with SAZ mod (for me both davide and cuck dad is dead)... so that last 30% can be aimed towards a closure? I mean i would love to play another The Tyrant like game in full but i guess its hard to strike a balance between NTR, Corruption and Love paths in a game since it would likely be a very big project...

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Well.. its at least 70% done imo with SAZ mod (for me both davide and cuck dad is dead)... so that last 30% can be aimed towards a closure? I mean i would love to play another The Tyrant like game in full but i guess its hard to strike a balance between NTR, Corruption and Love paths in a game since it would likely be a very big project...
Well, if you trim it down to a single person ex. Nicole, then it should be possible.

Heavy Sleeper

May 10, 2020
I think the "story" is close to the end based on the fact that you end up the "tyrant" of the house by the end of the content, but as for sex scenes it's barely 30% in terms of characters and content. Barely any threesomes/orgies or anything like that, no Alexis gang initiation, random characters who don't even have sex scenes(dancer/bartender/Nicole's friend) , so calling it "70%" is just very off base

Reactions: Koulo077

S A Z

Modder
Jun 29, 2017
Hey SAZ. When you put out the hot fixes, on the original post, could you put in the Changelog what the hot fix does and a date on when it was released as well as make a change to the title to reflect a new hotfix/patch? I, as I'm sure other people out there, watch your thread from a distance, meaning that we look at the actual title of the post and see if it has been changed. We watch to see if the actual version is changed. If you add hot fixes that adds a lot of new content, those that follow from a distance will have a hard time knowing this is happening.
Sure, I should be able to do that. I'll take a look at it today after work and see about getting the change logs and title up to date with Hot Fix information. Then for future Hot Fix releases I'll make sure to update both of those places as well. :D

EDIT: I have now edited the OP so that it includes dated Hot Fix change-logs in the Change-Logs section. The title will reflect which Hot Fix version is currently active too. As well as added a Hot Fix Updated section towards the top that shows the date of the latest Hot Fix release too. That should give plenty of places to check for those watching the mod from a distance to easily check if there was a recent Hot Fix release and then see it's change-log as well right in the OP.

Last edited:

S A Z

Modder
Jun 29, 2017

Cheers mate!

/Cold
I appreciate your feedback and opinion on this. I agree with many of the points you made.

My intention has never been to take over the project. That's not my goal. If I ever develop a game, I want it to be my own, and definitely with a limited scope, as it would be my first full project from start to finish.

But there are still things I'd like to add to the mod. Content and scenes from fan-art, some of it my own. As well as include the special Patreon renders in some way in-game. And a list of other things I think would be fun to do. But it's not with the intention of fully fleshing out the game as a full-on developer or team might. That would or could be an enormous amount of content. I'm still just doing things from my level as a modder.

As for an ending, I'm mainly just looking to button things up. As I mentioned before, it could still be a long ways away. But there are already assets in the game for killing Frank. It just wasn't implemented in the last update, so I'd be using those. Then it's about getting creating some scenes that add a bit of closure for the different paths. That's what I intend to do with my version of an ending. I'm not looking at filling in all the options or possibilities or even flesh out all of the side girls at this point (although that doesn't mean they would be excluded from adding more content for them). I'm just not trying to bring to game to "Complete" status if you know what I mean. I would say I'm just trying to give it something that felt like it didn't leave you completely hanging. And I'd like to have the quality of those scenes I do create myself be up to par, so they don't feel massively out of place. That's my reasoning behind collecting all the proper Daz3D assets I'm missing that are needed to do that.

I hope that helps people understand the approach I'm planning on taking when I do start on an ending. As I mentioned before, I'm willing to adapt to changes in circumstances between now and then, so it's not final by any means. Just wanted to let everyone know how I am looking at this for now. :)

Last edited:

Ginji

Lightning Emperor
Donor
May 14, 2017
I appreciate your feedback and opinion on this. I agree with many of the points you made.

My intention has never been to take over the project. That's not my goal. If I ever develop a game, I want it to be my own, and definitely with a limited scope, as it would be my first full project from start to finish.

But there are still things I'd like to add to the mod. Content and scenes from fan-art, some of it my own. As well as include the special Patreon renders in some way in-game. And a list of other things I think would be fun to do. But it's not with the intention of fully fleshing out the game as a full-on developer or team might. That would or could be an enormous amount of content. I'm still just doing things from my level as a modder.

As for an ending, I'm mainly just looking to button things up. As I mentioned before, it could still be a long ways away. But there are already assets in the game for killing Frank. It just wasn't implemented in the last update, so I'd be using those. Then it's about getting creating some scenes that add a bit of closure for the different paths. That's what I intend to do with my version of an ending. I'm not looking at filling in all the options or possibilities or even flesh out all of the side girls at this point (although that doesn't mean they would be excluded from adding more content for them). I'm just not trying to bring to game to "Complete" status if you know what I mean. I would say I'm just trying to give it something that felt like it didn't leave you completely hanging. And I'd like to have the quality of those scenes I do create myself be up to par, so they don't feel massively out of place. That's my reasoning behind collecting all the proper Daz3D assets I'm missing that are needed to do that.

I hope that helps people understand the approach I'm planning on taking when I do start on an ending. As I mentioned before, I'm willing to adapt to changes in circumstances between now and then, so it's not final by any means. Just wanted to let everyone know how I am looking at this for now. :)
we have faith,but we do worry because you wont let us help you:)

maverick@79

Mar 4, 2019
I think the "story" is close to the end based on the fact that you end up the "tyrant" of the house by the end of the content, but as for sex scenes it's barely 30% in terms of characters and content. Barely any threesomes/orgies or anything like that, no Alexis gang initiation, random characters who don't even have sex scenes(dancer/bartender/Nicole's friend) , so calling it "70%" is just very off base
so far in saz mod i have not found away to kill the black dude (sry cant remember his name) like u could in original.

diend2011

Jun 11, 2018
can we get some alternative download links ? That MEGA link for the main mod +0.4 hotfix on the OP is too damn slow right now (only 50-100KB/s for me).

S A Z

Modder
Jun 29, 2017
can we get some alternative download links ? That MEGA link for the main mod +0.4 hotfix on the OP is too damn slow right now (only 50-100KB/s for me).
Sure thing. I keep the permanent links on one site because it's easy to manage, but I'm always happy to add temporary links using a different upload site when requested.

Here is the mod link:

- The Tyrant 0.9.1 SazMod Official + HF5.zip (287.04 MB)

I've already patched this version with Hot Fix v5 so you won't need to download anything additional unless you want to get the animations pack. The link for that is below.

- Saz_Mod_Animation_Pack_Spot1000.zip (33.46 MB)

*These links will be active for 30 days

S A Z

Modder
Jun 29, 2017
So it looks like Saddog has returned with a 0.9.4 update this morning! I am happily surprised and very glad he's returned. :D

It looks like I'm going to get to do a proper update progress report again for the mod.

As it's been a while, so here is the format it will follow.

0.9.4 Mod Update - Development Progress Report:
  • Play through new content - Not Started
  • Go through new code and assets - Not Started
  • Convert new code to mod format - Not Started
  • Convert new scenes to mod versions - Not Started
  • Create Twisted versions for Love/Corruption scenes - Not Started
  • Convert NTR scenes to full Darker Path versions - Not Started
  • Add in any new personally created or Fan-Art content - Not Started
  • Playtest Mod - Not Started
When I make progress through these steps, they will change from Not Started to In Progress to Completed.

I'm going to get a hold of that update and then I'll post my first progress report to get things started. I'll add it to the OP as well so it's easy to check progress there to for anyone that's interested in checking the progress on the mod update.

Time as always is still a factor with me, but I'm excited to see what is there with this new game update and I'll be keeping in touch with where I'm at with these progress reports for the mod update.

I hope everyone is staying safe and doing what they can to have a little fun when they can. :) I'll bug you all again soon.

Dec 3, 2019
So it looks like Saddog has returned with a 0.9.4 update this morning! I am happily surprised and very glad he's returned. :D

It looks like I'm going to get to do a proper update progress report again for the mod.

As it's been a while, so here is the format it will follow.

0.9.4 Mod Update - Development Progress Report:
  • Play through new content - Not Started
  • Go through new code and assets - Not Started
  • Convert new code to mod format - Not Started
  • Convert new scenes to mod versions - Not Started
  • Create Twisted versions for Love/Corruption scenes - Not Started
  • Convert NTR scenes to full Darker Path versions - Not Started
  • Add in any new personally created or Fan-Art content - Not Started
  • Playtest Mod - Not Started
When I make progress through these steps, they will change from Not Started to In Progress to Completed.

I'm going to get a hold of that update and then I'll post my first progress report to get things started. I'll add it to the OP as well so it's easy to check progress there to for anyone that's interested in checking the progress on the mod update.

Time as always is still a factor with me, but I'm excited to see what is there with this new game update and I'll be keeping in touch with where I'm at with these progress reports for the mod update.

I hope everyone is staying safe and doing what they can to have a little fun when they can. :) I'll bug you all again soon.
God, I've never been so excited about an update before. My prayers have been answered... and I'm an atheist. LOL.

4.90 star(s) 50 Votes