AndreaTheNord

May 26, 2024
Agree, but not with the options. Renpy is okay, I add Unreal, but not Unity, QSP or HTML.

Renpy is ideal for a VN and integrating Minigames is not that difficult. The Renpy Forum is helpful, friendly and has many code snippets for that. Moving from RPG-Maker should be not that difficult, because you can use your already made pictures.

Unreal has much free assets and many external programs like Photoshop, DAZ, Blender etc. offer options to export to Unreal and there is a bunch of free training videos available on YT. It's not that hard to learn with their visual Blueprint language, but you can still use traditional C++ if you want, but don't need to. For example you can use characters and animations you already have in DAZ3d and move them to Unreal with little work. The only thing is for just a VN + Minigames it's to powerful, but it has the most options for future development if VN is not the only thing somebody want's to do. Ther are templates to make a VN and you could use your RPG pictures, but starting from scratch would make more sense with Unreal, because you have the option of animation and render inside Unreal while playing the game.

QSP needs an additional program (interpreter) to install when you want to play. Many does not want that. Not clue about MiniGames, but QSP is very text based.

HTML - not very flexible and adding Minigames in HTML is difficult. The structure isn't very intuitive.

Unity - is nearly dead. They changed their terms about a year ago and since then developers are dropping unity like a hot potato and move to unreal. You'll find many videos that people will do that and tutorials how to do that. Their head managers believe the same about their own product, because most of them sold most of their stock before announcing the change in terms. I believe - and I'm not alone with that opinion - Unity will not exist like that in the future. Learning to work with unity is a waste of time in my opinion.
Thank you! That's very helpful! Only problem with unreal is i dont know hardly anything about coding, that's why i was using rpg maker, i'm a total newb at game development. However, i was already thinking about making a switch based on all the feedback i've been receiving. Perhaps i could do unreal, but i'd be almost starting over, but maybe that's for the best, rebuild the game from the bottom-up. I could probably still reuse much of my assets, but renpy might be more practical. With renpy i could reuse everything and keep it the same as it is now with improvements. I'm not sure, I'll have to do research and think about it.

AndreaTheNord

May 26, 2024
I think remaking RenPy is a good choice, too.
It's not a problem to take more time.

I don't understand the technical things.
Still a few good unity games that haven't been completed.
:sick::sick::sick:
I think you should go talk to the developers.
<Seaside Mystery> [KsT]
new game [Poolside Games]
<Timestamps> [Motkeyz]
That's a common suggestion i've been hearing a lot and i'm strongly considering it. But i'm also wondering should i take the extra leap and try rebuilding the whole concept in unreal engine? I can imagine it, but it would be quite the challenge. By switching to unreal engine, i mean perhaps adding more gameplay aspects, like a character you can actually control and walk around instead of visual novel. I'll ponder on these things

AndreaTheNord

May 26, 2024
i dont think dev needs to change the engine at all. It is fine as it is. Might be an option if engine cant handle it anymore. I mean Beggarofthenet has been using the same engine and similar assets and people are still paying him thousands of dollars.
I'm wondering if the switch will fix its issues though, like the animation lag i keep hearing about

AndreaTheNord

May 26, 2024
<MyNewLife> is now a BUG monster.
That [Beggar of Net] is a milking and scamming monster.
He made a lot of money for a long time but made player miserable.
Money and Right Wrong are two different things.
I don't blame anyone who's unwilling to support my project, i'm aware of its flaws, but i'm determined to fix them. My project holds a lot of meaning to me, i will never quit, i'm committed to both finishing and perfecting it, but i'm also a newb at game development and learning everything as i go. I'm strongly considering switching to a different engine and maybe even rebuilding the game from the bottom up to fix all its issues and make all the improvements that have been suggested.

AndreaTheNord

May 26, 2024
I think I have average specs, 16GB of RAM and a 3070, but I can't get the videos to play without stuttering and slowing down so much, that they take 10x as long as they should, either. The first second plays flawlessly, as it is already pre-loaded, but the rest takes ages only to move forward stutteringly by half a second in slow motion.
Load doesn't seem to be the issue, it's in the single digit percentages for both CPU and RAM, and my SSD is barely even doing anything.
Seems like a software problem to me, perhaps only affecting some setups (I tested this on windows 11). Maybe windows defender acting up (though I should have been able to see that in task manager), or just the game loading the videos and audio files very inefficiently, garbage collection acting up, who knows.
It could also be a plugin issue, but it will be hard to find the offender if you can't reproduce it yourself.

If you want to change to another engine, I would also advise against html, I think sugarcube and similar are good engines, but if you don't have much programming experience, or ideally have experience as a web-dev, it'll be hard to program good mini games or design nice pages. Html is also more suited for text-heavy games, RenPy would suit your visual style better.
it might be that rpgm itself is the cause of a lot of these issues, thats what making me stronger consider switching to a different engine

AndreaTheNord

May 26, 2024
stupid shit ,try to act it look good next time.
No way a 2014 graphics card or memory could run this game.
When this game has to be abandoned halfway through because some players can't play it or BUG or developer difficulty in VAM-RPG production, will you be happy? It's none of your business anyway?
Look at <MyNewLife> all you can see only is that trash developer making money , ugly scumbag.
woah, guys, please no fighting.
I'm aware of its problems and I'm committed to fixing them. I'm a newb at game development, I'm still learning many things. I'm not familiar with "mynewlife", but this is not just about money to me, i care about this game, i care about its story, it holds meaning to me. rpgm and vam are the programs i was familiar with. Perhaps i made a mistake in how i started this project regarding the engine i chose, perhaps i shall switch to renpy if that proves beneficial, but this game will not be abandoned halfway. This game is my baby. I might have to restructure things, go back to its foundation and do some rebuilding, but if so then so be it. The support i recieve is appreciated and i try to be as open and transparent as i can with my supporters, i dont try to hide anything from them. They are aware of the game's flaws as am i. I'm reading and learning from all the feedback i recieve and will do my best to make whatever changes are needed.

AndreaTheNord

May 26, 2024
I'm having the same issues, with almost the same specs.I don't understand why though, because other rpgm games run perfectly fine, and as I said before I use a gaming pc, so I don't have issues with AAA games either. I'm not sure what's causing it, but it's just this game, and it's probably something really simple. Game was super fun, I really enjoyed it, I just got tired of waiting 20 minutes for the scenes to play each time lol
It never happens during my playtesting, but i think the issue might be an inability of rpg maker to properly run the video content, i'm considering switching to renpy to see if that fixes the issue

Reactions: MrHClock

AndreaTheNord

May 26, 2024
Well thank you that...as a dev...you are actually active here (while it's a pirate site) and taking notes and really using the feed back that is mentioned here.
Hope that will make it a great game.
As I mentioned before in a post ..this could be a great game.
So good luck and hope this will be a finished game at some point with a 4/5 star rating.
thank you ❤
I'm getting more feedback from this site than from my subscribers xD
a lot of it has been hard to read, some people are very harsh, but i blame myself, i have to do better. I think some of the technical issues people are having is due to rpgm, the engine just might not be powerful enough and is causing lagging for some people, i might switch over to renpy for that reason.

Me-ta-Xa

Oct 27, 2022
I don't think you should be that hard on your self....or feel the need to reply on everything here.
Just use that time to improve and expand the game...actions speak better than words.
Big hug and keep it up.

Reactions: Metonym126

JaxMan

Apr 9, 2020
I noticed I only get sex skill improvements during the Hootee's mini-game. Nothing ever go up during the glory hole activity in the clothes store or with the hooker events. Is that suppose to be the way it works?

DM72

Apr 9, 2023
this is a criticism i keep hearing but its strange because i myself never have this issue during playtesting. But I'll see what i can do about it
Someone made a fix for it somewhere a few pages back, it works fine now.

Skaldy

Nov 7, 2017
I'm wondering if the switch will fix its issues though, like the animation lag i keep hearing about
That really depends on your technical knowledge and how much time you intend to spend in coding and optimization steps. I mean no offence to anyone but as i said in this forums i am running this game with 8-10 years old computer just fine. Look at shit games Bethesda created over the years, they still have engine issues with their games and thats a million dollar triple A gaming company who doesnt know better. If you are creating a complex game with heavy assets, you cant optimize it for everyone.

Reactions: cunning_linguist

Skaldy

Nov 7, 2017
Thank you!
i'm well aware it has its flaws, there is certainly much room for improvement, but i'm taking notes, literal hand written notes, of the feedback i'm reading and intend to humbly learn as much as i can from those who've tested what i have so far
I dont know what flaws you are talking about, game is just fine as it is. If you havent already, creating a design document can benefit you and help you learn from your mistakes, specially if you are creating a new world. F95 community is not best community to get feedback IMO, there are certain people here condemn or praise the games if their kink is satisfied or a kink they hate is present in the game. Only criticism i can offer is, as far as i have seen you are over ambitious, which communicates me that this will be long development for you, IMO if you finish main story and few endings, you can flesh out rest of the game and integrate more stuff to your game without worrying about a deadline.

eschkha

Jun 26, 2020
thank you ❤
I'm getting more feedback from this site than from my subscribers xD
a lot of it has been hard to read, some people are very harsh, but i blame myself, i have to do better. I think some of the technical issues people are having is due to rpgm, the engine just might not be powerful enough and is causing lagging for some people, i might switch over to renpy for that reason.
As far as I can tell, effectively fixes video playback performance issues for anyone who has tried it.
You can test it and include it in the next release if everything goes smoothly.

bouli0

Sep 2, 2017
Thank you! That's very helpful! Only problem with unreal is i dont know hardly anything about coding, that's why i was using rpg maker, i'm a total newb at game development. However, i was already thinking about making a switch based on all the feedback i've been receiving. Perhaps i could do unreal, but i'd be almost starting over, but maybe that's for the best, rebuild the game from the bottom-up. I could probably still reuse much of my assets, but renpy might be more practical. With renpy i could reuse everything and keep it the same as it is now with improvements. I'm not sure, I'll have to do research and think about it.
For the conversion from RPGMV to renpy, some people on the forum do it for existing games, and they may be willing to share tools or advice.
For example : michaelcros, Alfius (You can find more if you search for renpy conversions)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: eschkha
4.10 star(s) 12 Votes