Unity Titans University [v0.1.7] [TitansU]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Exokip

Jun 2, 2017
Remember in middle school when that one weird kid who carried a notebook around and drew in it all the time offered to show you his "art"?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Thecatbred
Feb 7, 2021
I hate to be so brutal without even trying the game, but I feel like the dev needs this information:
Your models need a lot of work. Raven doesn't look remotely good enough from the screens I've seen. This is just my opinion, but I don't think you're gonna get much attention for your game unless you fix that.

That said, I wish you the best. There should always be more Teen Titans content.

Jash83

Jun 8, 2019
I'm not even going to make with the funnies: this just looks unambiguously awful.

And I'll say again: if you're making a game based on a popular existing property with beloved characters and you can't manage to make the characters look recognisably like the ones people are familiar with, why are you even bothering?

Reactions: tentaclejoe

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
The Raven model almost immediately reminded me of that momo challenge thing. :LOL:

To the dev, though, just keep at it. Work on what's been criticized here and try to grow from it.

Reactions: ExtendedSpace

hurrdurrderpderp

Apr 4, 2020
I've seen hundreds of games and "games" on f95, quite a lot of them "in process of developing" or forever update hell, most of them with patreon-shilling monetization. What they have in common is crowd of coomers shouting "yass queen" after seeing one okayish CG.
Reactions from this thread shown me finally where the bottom line is. Somehow it's even more sad than OP's 3D model.

Reactions: arcaos
May 1, 2018
The UI actually looks really good, so if that's what you've focused on so far you're doing great. That said though, I hope you put the same level of enthusiasm into fixing that abomination of a Raven model next lol

• Red Heart
Reactions: ExtendedSpace

Pedoune

Jul 19, 2017
On the one hand I'm glad someone finally remembered Mister Terrific exists. On the other... Well, see rest of thread so far.

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
I hate to be so brutal without even trying the game, but I feel like the dev needs this information:
Your models need a lot of work. Raven doesn't look remotely good enough from the screens I've seen. This is just my opinion, but I don't think you're gonna get much attention for your game unless you fix that.

That said, I wish you the best. There should always be more Teen Titans content.
Hey, I definitely get that! I spent a week on the Mr. Terrific model and 2 weeks on the Raven model. This was basically just so I could test that animations would fire at the right time and that the model was able to move correctly.

Terrific was just a static model without animations for now because there were a lot of other developments that were needed to be done first.

I guess I should have named this release a tech build or a proof of concept, I was doing the versioning on v0.0.9 because it's pre 0.1, not even to the alpha stage. I didn't want to just grab some models off the internet, so I decided to just make some that I could work with for now that got the general message across.

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
The UI actually looks really good, so if that's what you've focused on so far you're doing great. That said though, I hope you put the same level of enthusiasm into fixing that abomination of a Raven model next lol
Thanks! The UI was definitely a huge pain in the ass getting to work and look correctly, I'll also be updating the conversation UI down the line (that's a minor thing for now as I can already tell).

Definitely changing up the model, I wasn't really expecting anyone to like the models yet, but just needed some real feedback to gauge what the biggest problem areas were. Probably should have stated that they were temporary lol.

fzdc

Jul 25, 2017
Hey guys, dev here. I know the models are really (REALLY) rough, I put them together in a couple weeks. Character, room and object models are all created by me.

The majority of my time has been spent learning Unity and building the systems, so I was planning on making the first update after this release the "model update".

Thanks for the constructive feedback on the model, that's exactly why I'm posting here!
Im giving you advice as someone who went to university and academy for game design and who's had experiences with QA.
You made a rookie mistake. Despite what most starter devs think, First impressions always matter. There's no such thing as Alpha, early access, beta or concept. The very First thing you make public... THAT is what identifies you and your product. I won't get into the statistics.
Yes there will be groups of people who will support you, people who will understand that "this is just early development", but the majority will take one look at the Thumbnail and screenshots and walk away.
This is not to discourage you, just to point out your mistake so that hopefully you don't make it again.

Now what's done is done. Do your best to listen to feedback, no matter how negative, insulting or unprofessional. There's valid criticism even in the most hateful of comments. You could do public polls so people can vote for content if you don't want to go through reviews. You should also consider if you want this project to be for your own entertainment, getting followers or making profit. Make your goals from there.
You've got a decent concept here and a working skeleton for a game which i understand you made from scratch and learned by yourself, bravo.
Best of luck.

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
Im giving you advice as someone who went to university and academy for game design and who's had experiences with QA.
You made a rookie mistake. Despite what most starter devs think, First impressions always matter. There's no such thing as Alpha, early access, beta or concept. The very First thing you make public... THAT is what identifies you and your product. I won't get into the statistics.
Yes there will be groups of people who will support you, people who will understand that "this is just early development", but the majority will take one look at the Thumbnail and walk away.
This is not to discourage you, just to point out your mistake so that hopefully you don't make it again.

Now what's done is done. Do your best to listen to feedback, no matter how negative, insulting or unprofessional. There's valid criticism even in the most hateful of comments. You could do public polls so people can vote for content if you don't want to go through reviews. You should also consider if you want this project to be for your own entertainment, getting followers or making profit. Make your goals from there.
You've got a decent concept here and a working skeleton for a game which i understand you made from scratch and learned by yourself, bravo.
Best of luck.
Thanks, yeah definitely looks like I made a rookie mistake! Hopefully the next build will change the perception of the game a bit. Your insight is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Mal3 and fzdc

CunkiousConk

Apr 27, 2020
This dude has a good Raven model made in Maya if you're looking for one.

Reactions: Xem
4.00 star(s) 2 Votes