Recommending TonyMurray's Favourite Games and Favourite Girls

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

tuskedkibbles

Mar 27, 2018
Got another one for you. Snowstorm

Pretty big on story, with a surprising number of twists and ~4/5 major story paths (there's more but a few converge later) as well as 10+ main and side LIs. I was surprised by just how much I liked this one. The soundtrack is also killer. This is actually the first game I've ever played with the music on.

This game is the second of a series, but the first isn't needed to play (this game says as much) and honestly, I probably wouldn't recommend the first game (Sandstorm). It isn't bad per se, but it's not particularly worth it in my opinion. It's relatively short though, so if you want to run through it it's not a big time sink. Snowstorm is much longer, with a very good amount of content already released. It took me a few days to get through all the paths.

• Long Road Home - I tried it and liked some of it, but I couldn't get into the story at all.
  • Friends in Need - I tried it and couldn't get past that forced first scene. None of the choices available reflected the way I would want to play, and I really disliked that. From what I recall, the choices (after the dev made the change) were to talk her into fucking, to rape her, or to turn her down. The turn her down option is what I believe was added, but it's basically a joke as it leads to an early game over. If that's not the case and I missed something, I'd consider looking at this one again, perhaps.
LRH - I'm not sure how far you got, but the story is to be honest, kind of shitty for the first section of the game. You really have to get past the initial hurdles before it becomes decent. Definitely a clear case of the author being inexperienced at first and his work reflecting that. By the time you 'take out some trash' in the desert, that's when it's like the author flipped a light switch and the quality improves markedly. Given our similar taste (from our shared top games and your recommendations I've played so far), I'd suggest giving this one another go, but obviously it's up to you to if you want to spend the time on something that isn't a sure thing. All I can say is that the first ~1 hour is completely different in writing and 'feel' from later updates.

FiN - The turn her down option was an April Fool's joke because a lot of people were complaining about that character. The actual update to Chapter 1 that allows you to turn her down is coming soon, like that other user mentioned. Past that encounter, every LI is completely optional, including Nicki (the girl from the first scene). If you turn her down, she's still around, but pretty much just as your personal assistant and friend. There's also a rather interesting plot development in the latest update that adds a bit more to the story than just the MC's random philanthropic endeavors.

Reactions: TonyMurray

TonyMurray

Apr 8, 2024
One of the best topics on this site!
I'm honoured, thank you!
Got another one for you. Snowstorm

LRH - I'm not sure how far you got. All I can say is that the first ~1 hour is completely different in writing and 'feel' from later updates.

FiN - The turn her down option was an April Fool's joke because a lot of people were complaining about that character. The actual update to Chapter 1 that allows you to turn her down is coming soon, like that other user mentioned.
Snowstorm is already on my list (there are currently 385 to try on there, but some are very new so I'll be waiting on some more content first...)

LRH - I can't remember how far I got. I think it was around the time MC was getting a motel room with two women after the prison... receptionist? took him home. That whole section just didn't do anything for me in story, characters, or really in visuals either.

FiN - I've added to my list to try again pending the rework of the opening.

tuskedkibbles

Mar 27, 2018
(there are currently 385 to try on there, but some are very new so I'll be waiting on some more content first...)

LRH - I can't remember how far I got. I think it was around the time MC was getting a motel room with two women after the prison... receptionist? took him home. That whole section just didn't do anything for me in story, characters, or really in visuals either.
That's a big list, lol. I admire you dedication to go through what I imagine is mostly slop.

As for LRH, yeah that's like the beginning beginning, and I agree, that entire section is seriously underwhelming. It picks up quickly once you start working at the strip club (pretty soon after the MC and the daughter leave trailer park hell). That's when more interesting (and in my opinion much more attractive) LIs are introduced and the main story begins.

Reactions: Zorro#34

Zorro#34

Apr 23, 2022
there are currently 385 to try on there
Goddamn, that's a lot. It's gonna be an awesome guide... If you survive, that is ;)

that's like the beginning beginning, and I agree, that entire section is seriously underwhelming
Yeah, that's when I dropped the game, just like Tony. That motel episode is seriously horrible, and, however good the rest of the game is, it always was there.

TonyMurray

Apr 8, 2024
Goddamn, that's a lot. It's gonna be an awesome guide... If you survive, that is ;)

Yeah, that's when I dropped the game, just like Tony. That motel episode is seriously horrible, and, however good the rest of the game is, it always was there.
Some games will only get a quick look because I'm pretty good with realising when something's just really not to my taste, whether it's gameplay or graphics (story needing a bit longer to judge, unless it's a truly horrific start). The opposite side of that coin is that I am still finding new games to add to the list, at a probably quicker rate than I'm trying out the games that are on there!

LRH is a good eample of something I get with books a lot - they don't have to immediately win me over, but if they immediately turn me off, that's not something that I'll generally get past. A lot of times, people say to me I "need to" keep reading a series even if I didn't like book one, "it gets better," and "but book four is amazing" etc.

I am comfortable enough and experienced enough in my tastes to know that I'd rather try something new that might or might not work for me, than push through something that already isn't working for me on the word of someone else that it will get better - too often you'll find that the "someone else" there has completely different tastes to you and for you it just doesn't get better! Plus, as you said, that bit that really didn't work for me is still always going to be there, dragging the whole thing down...

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes