Wolf RPG None [Translate Begging ]THE HEART OF DARKNESS Souls like game(MEGA DOWNLOAD)

Zethin

Succubus Rhapsodia
Donor
May 14, 2017
Maybe. Wolf RPG is an abomination of a program, riddled with bugs. I spent about four hours today trying to get the game to properly compile in the editor with no luck.

I’ll keep trying to work on it to get it compiled. If anyone manages to successfully edit, compile, and run the game (with no crashes) let me know.

Zethin

Succubus Rhapsodia
Donor
May 14, 2017
After some absolutely mind boggling fuckery with this game and well over a dozen hours spent over the past few days, I've managed to successfully translate a map without crashing the game. Let me explain why it happened and how I fixed it.

First I tried Translator++, but ran into the obvious problem it couldn't detect certain map names (and Translator++ wouldn't add them to its list). So I downloaded WOLF RPG Editor, because I'd have to do this by hand now. The problem was, the compiled version of the game wouldn't run under any circumstances. I ran into so many random errors that ranged from invalid encodings to "unable to find basicgame.data."

At first I thought it was a map issue, because the title screen is considered a map and the game would crash before it even reached the title screen. I attempted renaming every map to English, thinking it would solve the encoding error. It did, but it produced another error and crashed. At this point I about gave up, but then I got wondering: "why does the extracted game work, but the compiled version doesn't, when they should produce the exact same result?"

I ran a SHA-256 hash on the compiled folder and base folder, and found out the hashes are different. This threw me for a loop, so I grabbed a folder comparison tool to check for file differences. Sure enough, WOLF RPG Editor changed one file by a single kilobyte that would cause the game to crash: Game.dat.

I changed the map in the editor, recompiled the game, but this time copied the original's Game.dat into the compiled version. Lo and behold, the game runs perfectly and contains the translation.

TLDR: Fuck Wolf RPG.

Edit: I added an example screenshot, showing the translation in effect.

Last edited:

EldenFZ

Jul 16, 2017
After some absolutely mind boggling fuckery with this game and well over a dozen hours spent over the past few days, I've managed to successfully translate a map without crashing the game. Let me explain why it happened and how I fixed it.

First I tried Translator++, but ran into the obvious problem it couldn't detect certain map names (and Translator++ wouldn't add them to its list). So I downloaded WOLF RPG Editor, because I'd have to do this by hand now. The problem was, the compiled version of the game wouldn't run under any circumstances. I ran into so many random errors that ranged from invalid encodings to "unable to find basicgame.data."

At first I thought it was a map issue, because the title screen is considered a map and the game would crash before it even reached the title screen. I attempted renaming every map to English, thinking it would solve the encoding error. It did, but it produced another error and crashed. At this point I about gave up, but then I got wondering: "why does the extracted game work, but the compiled version doesn't, when they should produce the exact same result?"

I ran a SHA-256 hash on the compiled folder and base folder, and found out the hashes are different. This threw me for a loop, so I grabbed a folder comparison tool to check for file differences. Sure enough, WOLF RPG Editor changed one file by a single kilobyte that would cause the game to crash: Game.dat.

I changed the map in the editor, recompiled the game, but this time copied the original's Game.dat into the compiled version. Lo and behold, the game runs perfectly and contains the translation.

TLDR: Fuck Wolf RPG.

Edit: I added an example screenshot, showing the translation in effect.
Dang, that's a lotta problem. I'm not sure if it's the game's fault itself or the engine's version or the non-compatibility between the game and the engine we're using to edit it, but weirdly enough I didn't come through any major problem regarding Wolf RPG compared to Vx Ace and MV (Wolf RPG Editor is actually the RPG maker engine in which I feel the most at ease, lol. I always have a very hard time translating Vx Ace and MV).

The Wolf RPG hgames I test edited (which are now in the snail process of full side translation) were 'Horny Bunny Hana' and 'Dungeon Repeater Vera'. Both the recompiled and extracted data worked fine with no major crashes (I used Wolf RPG Editor English 2.10b for those). You could probably give those games a test to see the difference in term of issue. I'll also try out this game in particular on a later date to see the problem for myself.

Also thanks a bunch for the translation btw, a Dark Souls-like hgame is always a + in my book. Props to you ^w^b

Zethin

Succubus Rhapsodia
Donor
May 14, 2017
Dang, that's a lotta problem. I'm not sure if it's the game's fault itself or the engine's version or the non-compatibility between the game and the engine we're using to edit it, but weirdly enough I didn't come through any major problem regarding Wolf RPG compared to Vx Ace and MV (Wolf RPG Editor is actually the RPG maker engine in which I feel the most at ease, lol. I always have a very hard time translating Vx Ace and MV).

The Wolf RPG hgames I test edited (which are now in the snail process of full side translation) were 'Horny Bunny Hana' and 'Dungeon Repeater Vera'. Both the recompiled and extracted data worked fine with no major crashes (I used Wolf RPG Editor English 2.10b for those). You could probably give those games a test to see the difference in term of issue. I'll also try out this game in particular on a later date to see the problem for myself.

Also thanks a bunch for the translation btw, a Dark Souls-like hgame is always a + in my book. Props to you ^w^b
DreamSavior sent out a Patreon update that he's building an entirely new WolfTrans engine for Translator++, so I'm going to just wait for him to finish his new engine before starting.

And trust me, I went through every step of the process (both Japanese and English versions of WolfRPGEditor, different versions, changing locales with each version, etc.). Not that it matters because it works using the process I described now.

EldenFZ

Jul 16, 2017
DreamSavior sent out a Patreon update that he's building an entirely new WolfTrans engine for Translator++, so I'm going to just wait for him to finish his new engine before starting.

And trust me, I went through every step of the process (both Japanese and English versions of WolfRPGEditor, different versions, changing locales with each version, etc.). Not that it matters because it works using the process I described now.
I see. It might certainly have to do with the game itself. I didn't test yet but I'll see later how it goes on my end.

Deleted member 601433

Donor
May 7, 2018
Zethin
Did you use tool to extract the game files?
I'm currently translating a game with wolf RPG editor and for me everything works fine. I also can export the translated file back into .wolf format and overwrite the original game with my translation without a problem.

Zethin

Succubus Rhapsodia
Donor
May 14, 2017
Like I said, it doesn't matter because I have it working now. And yes, I tried HimeWorks. The problem wasn't extraction. It was WolfRPGEditor screwing up the compilation of the Game.dat file.