Ravenno

Mar 10, 2021
Good afternoon! Faced with the problem of saving in the game. After 18 deaths, the next day the game refuses to save and issues an error. An attempt to clear the page's memory and load the save from the backup did not lead to anything. How can this be corrected?

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
Good afternoon! Faced with the problem of saving in the game. After 18 deaths, the next day the game refuses to save and issues an error. An attempt to clear the page's memory and load the save from the backup did not lead to anything. How can this be corrected?
Someone already linked his work around, but it would be really nice if this would be patched in the actual game, because it can make it essentially unplayable since you can't end up not being able to save anymore, because the save games needlessly balloon so much.

Vincent Valensky

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Someone already linked his work around, but it would be really nice if this would be patched in the actual game, because it can make it essentially unplayable since you can't end up not being able to save anymore, because the save games needlessly balloon so much.
Normally you should fine the saves on the latest version being much smaller than before.

I'm also looking into the fix proposed by Lanceire - I've sent you a message on Discord with a few questions, since the link in the post doesn't seem to work for me.

In any case, I'm actively looking into a hopefully permanent solution for the saves.

Reactions: Takkatakka

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
Normally you should fine the saves on the latest version being much smaller than before.

I'm also looking into the fix proposed by Lanceire - I've sent you a message on Discord with a few questions, since the link in the post doesn't seem to work for me.

In any case, I'm actively looking into a hopefully permanent solution for the saves.
That is good to hear. I'll have to see if I can salvage my old save files or start anew.

SomeoneOrSomething

Nov 6, 2018
Save Problem Fix:
It turns out that the thing about the Harlowe engine storing historical variable data in saves is a feature, not a bug. Vincent Valensky You need to do the same thing described in . If its too hard, I wrote a small script to patch the existing version of the game to make it able to compress data, same as in my old fix, but now its automated. Usage:
Bash:
python TwineLocalstorageCompressionInjector.py Transylvania0.5.07.html
Python 3 is required. It should also support loading previous uncompressed saves, but this is not guaranteed. To use old saved data, delete the old html file and remove 'Patched' from the new one.
This either doesn't work on windows or doesn't work on for the newest version of the game, as I get the error UnicodeDecodeError: 'cp932' codec can't decode byte 0x93 in position 14187: illegal multibyte sequence. Could you upload a patched version?

IsaacEvening

Jul 6, 2018
To anyone wanting a way to automatically find the pateron password (assuming nothing changes in how the patreon password is handled), run this command (with ripgrep installed):
Bash:
rg 'set: \$truePass to "([\w\s]+)"' -or '$1' Transylvania.html
With the filename being whatever the current version of the game is. Should work in bash or powershell. The string after the numbers is the password. Tested on v0.5.07 and v0.5.08. Hopefully continues to work

Last edited:

Vincent Valensky

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
To anyone wanting a way to automatically find the pateron password (assuming nothing changes in how the patreon password is handled), run this command (with ripgrep installed):
Bash:
rg 'set: \$truePass to "([\w\s]+)"' -or '$1' Transylvania.html
With the filename being whatever the current version of the game is. Should work in bash or powershell. The string after the numbers is the password. Tested on v0.5.07 and v0.5.08. Hopefully continues to work
Incidentally
Bash:
'$1'
would also unlock the game ;)

Jokes aside, for anyone enjoying the game enough to play around with cheats and whatnot - I'm happy that you're having a good time with it. If you feel like giving back to the project, a simple like or review goes a long way too.

IsaacEvening

Jul 6, 2018
Incidentally
Bash:
'$1'
would also unlock the game ;)

Jokes aside, for anyone enjoying the game enough to play around with cheats and whatnot - I'm happy that you're having a good time with it. If you feel like giving back to the project, a simple like or review goes a long way too.
Hahah, fair play. I mostly just wanted more than one save slot. Good on you for taking it stride. They deserve the dollar

Vincent Valensky

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Hahah, fair play. I mostly just wanted more than one save slot. Good on you for taking it stride. They deserve the dollar
You might be happy to know that the next update introduces "checkpoints", which save automatically in a separate slot when you complete a chapter, so you can revert back independently of the quicksave/load. This will be available for everyone.

4.80 star(s) 52 Votes