UnDeaD_CyBorG

Apr 6, 2018
I think the meaning was more that a lot of RPGM games have poor gameplay, and if they're using the engine anyways, not having that issue would be a step up.
Likewise, making a game with decent combat mechanics is probably a bit more of a challenge in RenPy, though it got easier.

This is certainly not the first time this has come up in this thread, and I believe the dev wrote about the reasons, though it kind of boiled down to "wanted to".
I certainly don't mind, it's a great VN.

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
What's wrong with Renpy?
What UnDeaD_CyBorG said.

I think RPGM is fine for a VN if you want your game to have more of an exploration element to it (don’t think I’ve ever seen a Ren’Py game pull that off convincingly); although, even then, most devs are programmers, not mappers, and so their level designs often leave a lot to be desired.

The real problem with RPGM, in my opinion, is that the default combat and levelling systems are absolute garbage (for Christ’s sake, Final Fantasy titles in the 90s had infinitely more depth in that regard alone), and are more of a chore to put up with than a real gameplay element; and so unless the dev is willing to sink a lot of time and effort into completely overhauling these systems (which most devs have neither the incentive nor the skills to do), their game would actually benefit greatly from not including them at all.

Mar 19, 2023
Yes, I did.

Why do I get a feeling that you are talking about some hypocrating isekai teenage, who, suddenly, found out that being a hero is not about looking cool and having a harem, and he surrounded not by NPC, but actual leaving and breathing people that bleed, lie, cheat, betray and can stab you in tha back?
As well, let me point out, that defeat and imprisonment was not Dark Lord "first rodeo". He already experienced that sort of thing, being even crippled in an all out war (his first defeat), and at that time, he was not scared by the prospect of been sealed, for an unknown amount of time, when you actually can do nothing but wait, I may add, and he did not cried his ass out. And what about now (at the time in witch game takes place)? If anything, he already should know, from experience, that, sooner or later, even if much later (he IS immortal after all), opportunity will come. On top of that, he was JUST imprisoned, NOT sealed, so he could plot, corrupt, deceive, slowly build up his influence and do so much more, IF he would take some time out of crying and self-pitying.
Again, we are not talking about insecure boy who's daddy did not bought him a pony on a birthday, we are talking about freakin Dark Lord, who should have come through hell, low and above, to build his Empire (the first time), since only through power, wit and decet he could build something like that in an "no man's land".

That was the lamest turn around! Ugh, it was so disgusting...
Damn, when there was no apparent and immediate way out of his situation, he was ready to wag his tail and lick the boots of Matriarch. But who would care about that if, in his mind, he would be seething with anger and plotting his revenge. But no-o-o, he wasn't! He was really ok with turning in and becoming his Arch-enemy lap dog! And when, suddenly, he was rescued, he immediately switched out and started to act all high and mighty.
Talk about a man with no conviction...
I disagree but this is my, ehh, ¿opinion? so don't sweat it.

-First: yeah, the Dark Lord was defeated once but he was sealed away and forgotten, we don't even know if he cried his ass out then or even if he was conscious the whole time, that experience is way way more different than being imprisoned and used as the Matriarch's pet/slave/dog. I rather be in a comatose state or sealed away in some ancient tomb than being parade naked and mocked day after day for all eternity, that surely would broke any man.

-Second: "But who would care about that if, in his mind, he would be seething with anger and plotting his revenge. But no-o-o, he wasn't!" he was? He had a mental break down and even hallucinations in his cell, but he never actually gave up, even at the last moment when he starts vowing and kissing the Matriarch's feet he does it to gain time, so that his harem or Ancalia could break him free.

-Third: we are not talking about insecure boy who's daddy did not bought him a pony on a birthday I think you overstimate the guy, he's a human son of a God of Evil, he is not a mindless dark lord or an entity of evil like Melkor or Archaon, the guy has feelings and sht to deal with. Trevil clearly has daddy issues as everytime he talks about his father is with resentment and anger, his own evil empire was born more for a paternal mandate (or even necessity) than for his own reasons. And depending what girl you romance the guy even starts showing a "softer" side with less r4ping and murdering.
since only through power, wit and decet he could build something like that in an "no man's land" it really depends, we know jackshit about the lore of the "Forgotten" and what happened in the wastes. And even if the guy is Evil Incarnate and/or has tons of traumas, he's still capable of being broken by torture as he's still a (mentally) normal human being.
It would be like torturing Hitler, do you think Adolf wouldn't be mentally fragile after months of torment only cuz he was an evil guy and a deceiver?

-Fourth: I actually like those chapters because having to endure all that makes the final revenge against the Matriarch much much better.
Oh and it's also a cool and clever way to quickly wrap up the game's story, as the guy just wins a new empire (the Matriarchy) out of nowhere instead of having to conquer town after town, village after village like he was doing at the beginning.

Reactions: notBatman747

Clone008

Feb 15, 2020
After all that Morganga flashback and back story. Imma just add here
" In this life, I would have really liked just make baby and magic with you"

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 32 Votes