Ren'Py Under Your Spell [v0.1.0] [Shady Characters]

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes

Trickstar

Jun 2, 2018
Usually someone makes a HP themed game, and everyone starts drooling hoping to plow Hermoine, then the game gets legal action threatened (copyright infringement or similar) and goes bye bye.

*However, yours is less blatant - these games were like really really straight up obvious HP parodies
Not everything is a parody of harry potter and jk rowling doesnt own the magic school genre, people can't just threaten legal action over a magic school with students. There are also already games like witch trainer or whatever its called that directly is about plowing hermoine and are completed.

Most of those games are abandoned not because legal action, but because the devs just quit for whatever reason. If this conversation was about nintendo shit like mario, then you would be absolutely right.

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
And instead of having just one girlfriend, can you have a harem?
Is the harem a real harem, or will it be a sandbox harem where they don't know or acknowledge the existence of MC's other relationships?
There are no plans for real harem in the game so far. And most girls will actively disapprove of you dating other girls making two-timing possible, but more difficult

Reactions: Irizin and BlasKyau

2Q2see

Apr 1, 2020
I don't want to tell you how to make your game but what if you made it so that getting a harem is one of the hardest things to do so that people can do a challenge runes? where you have to balance character stats, work around their traits, max out your own stats, and learn even more ancient and forbidden spells. while not being found out by the school or any government body and maybe becoming an evil villain or using your profound knowledge to defeat him. honestly, that last part might be Fecher Creap but yay I think it would be cool if doing something like having a harem is one of the hardest endings to get, would be really fun and rewarding too.

AlBetGam

Feb 22, 2018
Haven't played much, just noticed a couple minor technical inconveniences.

1. Hitting 'ESC' or right-clicking doesn't take you to the save screen like in most Renpy games, and the button for the save screen is gone from the Escape menu, so you can only save from the button in your bedroom.

2. Rollback is disabled so if you want to reread a line or two of dialogue you have to go to History.

I don't know if these are intentional or not, but either they just kinda make things annoying.

Reactions: Shady Character 1

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
Haven't played much, just noticed a couple minor technical inconveniences.

1. Hitting 'ESC' or right-clicking doesn't take you to the save screen like in most Renpy games, and the button for the save screen is gone from the Escape menu, so you can only save from the button in your bedroom.

2. Rollback is disabled so if you want to reread a line or two of dialogue you have to go to History.

I don't know if these are intentional or not, but either they just kinda make things annoying.
Both "rollback" and "saving anywhere" are disabled by design because they cause crashes and softlocks. I might be able to fix the "save" issue, but rollback is 100% not going to work. I *will* add easier access to History in an upcoming update though

Reactions: AlBetGam
May 3, 2022
based on the screenshot provided by the uploader, the art style kinda reminded me of sinnercomics due to the nose and style of art hopefully by the next 5 years from now on it still finished and the developer has moved on to improve further unlike oni artist will give this game a go once it reached v0.1.5 or v0.2

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
So, ah, is this a riff on HP? It's got the parody tag so that seems to imply it is, but is it just heavily inspired by it or is it set in the same world?

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
So, ah, is this a riff on HP? It's got the parody tag so that seems to imply it is, but is it just heavily inspired by it or is it set in the same world?
Honestly, I don't remember putting a 'parody' tag there. Must've been by accident. Removed it. The setting is inspired by the general world structure of HP universe (mages live amongst us, and there's a school for them), but from that point on it is completely original material

• Red Heart
Reactions: Bingoogus

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Honestly, I don't remember putting a 'parody' tag there. Must've been by accident. Removed it. The setting is inspired by the general world structure of HP universe (mages live amongst us, and there's a school for them), but from that point on it is completely original material
If you removed it it either got added back or there's some kind of delay cause it's still there for me.

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
If you removed it it either got added back or there's some kind of delay cause it's still there for me.
Yeah, I removed it from the "Genres", but I didn't notice that it is attached to the thread itself. I cannot edit that. Not yet, at least. Maybe when I will get thread ownership ‍♂

Reactions: Bingoogus

Diamond lou

Apr 17, 2018
Wouldn't it be bad if people download the game for something that is in the tag, but isn't in the game yet? Me personally, I would rather underpromise and overdeliver than the other way around. But I am not really familiar with the rules and standards here in particular.
As for the slowburn. Definitely not our intention. But we are still just a two-person team who does this in our spare time.
It's a somewhat common thing to see developers put "future/planned tags" in the genre spoiler in the games description, kinda the best of both worlds, although you will also find people who add in new tags when they add them to the game or people who put all their planned tags in first, it's largely down to personal preference as there isn't really a true way to do it as far as I know.

Reactions: Shady Character 1

Diamond lou

Apr 17, 2018
Looks great so far and you can't go wrong with a magical world/school setting it's also nice to see a game not using AI CG's for art and such, will definitely keep a watch on this!

1720555424197.png

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes