[UNITY] Bonds of Blood [Svengali Productions]

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
Render farms have serious limitations, they are more for smaller projects, and they are not fond of animations. Also, I prefer to keep my files to myself, they are all custom. ;)
I do have a 2080ti on my main pc, so I am not doing too badly, but some of my scenes are too big, and I still run out of vram a lot. Need at least one of those 3090's or 3090ti's for the more complicated scenes and animations. Not to mention some faster hard drives for my library.

Having to redo a lot of files right now due to a git error and noticing things I missed before, but the current beta test is mostly looking good so far. It is nice to see almost everything working.
Well strong believes from many towards this project. So time will show how fast ull get an upgrade ^^
And yes for farm it has limits, but in many dev cases its still better alternative, if everything is pretty much prepared you know?

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Well strong believes from many towards this project. So time will show how fast ull get an upgrade ^^
And yes for farm it has limits, but in many dev cases its still better alternative, if everything is pretty much prepared you know?
Yeah, when you have a smaller project, it can work, but when you have hundreds to thousands of renders to do, it is a bit much. If I am going to spend money right now, I would rather invest in the future, rather than something like that. It good for an emergency, but I can't see using it for a regular thing.

The main problem right now, even if you have the money, is finding the hardware, with all of the shortages going around right now. Thanks to scalpers and miners, all the good ones are sold out. And since iRay won't work with ATI, we Daz devs are really limited as to what we can get.

Right now, my 2nd PC (made from spare parts), is barely good enough to even chat on discord and play games like this, and this shitty Gigabyte card crashes all the time (just crashed again while typing that last message), poor things is on its last leg. Been saving for a while, but I am on a fixed income for now, so I am a long way from a good video card. lol

I hope it does well, mostly just so my coder doesn't have to get another job. :ROFLMAO: But if I can get this other pc upgraded, then I can push out these big updates faster. It should be a lot easier once all of these mechanics are programmed. I don't want to have to break up the later chapters into smaller updates, but that may end up being the way we have to go to keep people happy. lol

Reactions: Glorified_ignorance

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
Yeah, when you have a smaller project, it can work, but when you have hundreds to thousands of renders to do, it is a bit much. If I am going to spend money right now, I would rather invest in the future, rather than something like that. It good for an emergency, but I can't see using it for a regular thing.

The main problem right now, even if you have the money, is finding the hardware, with all of the shortages going around right now. Thanks to scalpers and miners, all the good ones are sold out. And since iRay won't work with ATI, we Daz devs are really limited as to what we can get.

Right now, my 2nd PC (made from spare parts), is barely good enough to even chat on discord and play games like this, and this shitty Gigabyte card crashes all the time (just crashed again while typing that last message), poor things is on its last leg. Been saving for a while, but I am on a fixed income for now, so I am a long way from a good video card. lol

I hope it does well, mostly just so my coder doesn't have to get another job. :ROFLMAO: But if I can get this other pc upgraded, then I can push out these big updates faster. It should be a lot easier once all of these mechanics are programmed. I don't want to have to break up the later chapters into smaller updates, but that may end up being the way we have to go to keep people happy. lol
Well everyone is suffering from that :confused: Can't be helped, have to improvise to stay ahead y'know?

Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Well everyone is suffering from that :confused: Can't be helped, have to improvise to stay ahead y'know?
Yeah, a lot of people have it way worse than I do right now, so I am not complaining. ;) For once, being disabled helped me, since I was able to stay home these last couple years, and not forced to go out to work in this mess for next to nothing. Gave me time to work on this game.

Speaking of, to get back to a better topic, we should have the next beta in a couple days, and here is an example of the codex (the font size is adjustable now, and the arrow buttons need text, lol).
353356.png

And here is a little teaser.
230561.png

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
We had a few issues with things 'leaking over' from one scene to another, where it would remember things from a previous scene and show the incorrect information, before resetting when those elements were used. This primarily affected the combat, where it might show the information from your last battle (hit points, blood points, action points, programmed moves, etc.), and not show you the correct information until after you started planning, while it did not affect the actual game play, it was confusing at best. So, long story short (too late), he overhauled the combat system, and fixing any other leaks now, to hopefully prevent this from ever being a problem again.

Since I have the time, I am also redoing some of the animations, to try to improve them as well, and some other renders too.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Sinndallas

SD
Donor
Aug 7, 2017
I legit thought I had accidentally stumbled into a roleplay thread. With VtMB2 having been delayed(possibly completely canned) this project of yours is even more interesting.

• Love

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I legit thought I had accidentally stumbled into a roleplay thread. With VtMB2 having been delayed(possibly completely canned) this project of yours is even more interesting.
Thank you, I was a big fan of VtM back in the day, and it heavily inspired the lore of my game, along with Anne Rice and a few others. We are finishing up most of the companion part of the combat this week, and we get closer every day. I really hope we can share it with you all very soon.

Reactions: rKnight

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
And you, young Deviant, we will be watching your career with great interest....
;) Thank you, I keep trying to improve my skills.

Like this still needs some work, but it is getting there...
hinge_test_04d.png

We are still having some issues with getting the build to work (some coding issue with the addressables), it works in the test window but not the build. We are in talks with Unity, but it's slow going there.
Ghoul_Sad.jpg
On the bright side, I have been working more audio while preparing some assets/locations for the next chapters, and my coder has almost finished the companion combat system for this chapter. So, now you will not only be able to spar with her, but she will be able to help you in actual combat.

We intentionally kept the combat sprites kind of low fps, to keep the feel of old vs. fighting games of the 90's, when this game takes place.

Last edited:

Darthjake

Jun 2, 2017
;) Thank you, I keep trying to improve my skills.

Like this still needs some work, but it is getting there...

We are still having some issues with getting the build to work (some coding issue with the addressables), it works in the test window but not the build. We are in talks with Unity, but it's slow going there.

On the bright side, I have been working more audio while preparing some assets/locations for the next chapters, and my coder has almost finished the companion combat system for this chapter. So, now you not only be able to spar with her, but she will be able to help you in actual combat.

We intentionally kept the combat sprites kind of low fps, to keep the feel of old vs. fighting games of the 90's, when this game takes place.
I adore her eyes, and they way you make her look like she's pouting, but totally disinterested in whatever she's looking at. Ah, after I said that I moused over the pic, and I see it's a sad face, but still. The facial expression is awesome.

Wallbreaker looks like a good weapon for the cheaty mode, I'm guessing, as long as the combat sprites are not pixelated, I'll be happy.

Honestly you had me sold at the V:tM look, just waiting for my financial situation to become more stable before I go supporting more game devs.

• Love

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Sorry but is there/will be 4K renders ? Thanks and looking forward to the game :)
Only for special things, like easter eggs, and wallpapers for the supporters. My video card had trouble enough with 1k some days. lol
Once I manage to upgrade, I will try to do more things like that, though odds are, it will lean more to improving my animation quality for most of it. Too easy to run out of video ram for now... :confused:

Houtamelo

Game Developer
Jul 25, 2017
Talking a bit more about combat...

Our idea of how the player tackles combat is basically on two extremes, either the player will be able to skip it entirely (with the kill all move on cheat mode that TheDevian mentioned ealier) or the player will feel engaged with it. Lots of things are susceptible to change but our goal is to make every choice meaningful, there won't be "standard" skills that the player will just always use, each skill will have different characteristics, scale with different stats and different effects. We recently also added skill types, such as blunt, piercing, fire, etc. Each type will behave differently depending on the "race" of the target (such as human, lycanthrope, vampire, etc), some interactions will be somewhat obvious, but we will also provide that information through the Codex (which is already coded and done, we just have to put a bit more stuff there). No skill will be objectively better than another and we are also avoiding redundant/similar ones.

Combat will have a bit of RNG, but not a lot and i'm focusing on using it only where it is really necessary such as a small part of the AI (i am making a custom one for each character and their decisions will be largely reactive with the state of the combat, the RNG part is for weightening those decisions, so character's actions make sense whilst not being completely deterministic).

The combat is somewhat turn-based, but still much different than your average RPGMaker game, there are turns, but they are structured differently in the sense that you are able to "plan out" your turn (turns are not restricted to just one action, you have a number of AP which you can spend on that turn, or save for the next one - similar to Divinity Original Sin ) - which every character does at the same "phase", after the planning each character will play out his turn depending on how fast he is (with a bit of RNG, similar to how Darkest Dungeon picks the turn order). The player is also able to "predict" (the UI will give this information) what the enemies are going to do on their turn - provided certain conditions are met.

Combat will be completely animated, initially our plan is to make everything on it through 2D sprites that TheDevian is making, however we may (emphasis on may) switch to 3D models in the future to make it look more fluid.

As a last disclaimer, i am not a fan of VNs at all so that part is mostly handled by TheDevian as he is very experienced and enjoys that genre. However i love mechanically focused games so i'm taking special care (props to TheDevian for that as well as most ideas come from him) of making sure the combat feels fun, engaging and balanced.

As TheDevian said earlier our release has been delayed due to a critical problem with the Addressables package of Unity, Unity's team were not able to figure it out so i am having to spend a few days switching to another Asset Management system.
We are still very close though, after that is done what's left is mostly soundwork and a few polishes.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I am working on a Mortal Kombat parody for a game that exists in the game world, using side and background characters as parodies of characters from the MK series.

This game within a game, may (or may not) become playable later, using similar combat mechanics as the rest of the game, if time allows us later, and people show a desire for it. In the meantime, they will be used as decorations in various places.

I have a fully rigged arcade console, so now it needs to be decorated.
If you want to see some of the parody characters....
I am working on the mid boss now, and my plan is that the MC will be the final boss.

Houtamelo

Game Developer
Jul 25, 2017
I am working on a Mortal Kombat parody for a game that exists in the game world, using side and background characters as parodies of characters from the MK series.

This game within a game, may (or may not) become playable later, using similar combat mechanics as the rest of the game, if time allows us later, and people show a desire for it. In the meantime, they will be used as decorations in various places.

I have a fully rigged arcade console, so now it needs to be decorated.
If you want to see some of the parody characters....
I am working on the mid boss now, and my plan is that the MC will be the final boss.
By "may" he just means when the lazy coder (me) start working on it.