Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Hi, is the mod not working for WIAB or it's just me?
Just you.

No, seriously: I have no effing clue what "WIAB" is, so if you could just fill out a proper report, we'd be able to answer your question:
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?
Happy holidays!

Reactions: 0x52

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
URM 2.0 Bèta
Hi all,

After months of work I'm proud to be able to finally release URM version 2.0 (for now still in bèta).

You should not expect a lot of new features, but a lot was improved, optimized and fixed.
Some changes to highlight:
  • New design + theming engine (pick different themes)
  • Row highlighting, to easier distinguish between rows
  • More advanced browsing variables containing dicts, lists, classes, etc.
  • New mod framework (which will not conflict with my game specific mods)
  • New .urm fileformat (it's still able to read old .urm files)
  • Improved character search (for renaming and textbox customization)
  • Fix: Compatibility with Ren'Py 8.1.3+
  • Fix: Some characters properties would be applied to the custom textbox, while they shouldn't
You can view the attached and screenshots to check out the new look.
As always you can manually download the new version or from the attachment below. I will update the OP when it comes out of bèta.

I really hope you like this early Christmas present and wish you all happy holidays!

Thanks for the update. Firstly, I want to wish everyone in this community and especially you 0x52 a very merry Christmas and advanced Happy upcoming New Year 2024 and Pray to GOD so it may be even more prosperous and glorious for everyone. Secondly, I tried the new version in Sorcerer, but it did not work (as in it works but it does not show any codes for choices, paths works fine though). Thankfully, it has inbuilt WT Mod. Thanks again for the update.

Last edited:

Anjomi

Sep 13, 2018
I play Renpy games on Android, but having recently updated to Android 14, I can no longer get access to the save files in the Android/data folder. I can no longer modify them, or copy them out for backing up. This is due to Google tightening up on file access.

Could you add a feature to URM to either specify an alternative save location or to copy all save files to another location?

This is going to be an increasing problem for most Android users, so this feature would be a life saver for us all!

Thanks

Reactions: Iamthegoldengod
Jun 16, 2023
I play Renpy games on Android, but having recently updated to Android 14, I can no longer get access to the save files in the Android/data folder. I can no longer modify them, or copy them out for backing up. This is due to Google tightening up on file access.

Could you add a feature to URM to either specify an alternative save location or to copy all save files to another location?

This is going to be an increasing problem for most Android users, so this feature would be a life saver for us all!

Thanks
Hey friend, fellow androider here too and feel your pain. But don't worry I come with good news....

First, for me personally, I can't even access anything beyond android/data (Android 13) since I have no root. I can't install URM the normal way so I don't know how it will offer alternative saves if it can't be installed in first place for non-rooted users....luckily there's workarounds:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Ama if you have any questions :)

• Love

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
...I tried the new version in Sorcerer, but it did not work (as in it works but it does not show any codes for choices, paths works fine though).
I don't think it doesn't show the code because of the way the game is coded. AFAIK URM isn't able to "look ahead" very far, and that's why. Here's an example from the very beginning of day 2:

1703494378975.png 1703494420499.png

If the code I've marked in red would be before the "jump" command, URM would detect (and show) it:

1703494647215.png 1703494667813.png

The only "fix" would be to tell URM to look farther into the code -- but then again, how far into the next labels should URM analyze the code?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Belzeebub$ and 0x52

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I don't think it doesn't show the code because of the way the game is coded. AFAIK URM isn't able to "look ahead" very far, and that's why. Here's an example from the very beginning of day 2:

View attachment 3202922 View attachment 3202923

If the code I've marked in red would be before the "jump" command, URM would detect (and show) it:

View attachment 3202927 View attachment 3202929

The only "fix" would be to tell URM to look farther into the code -- but then again, how far into the next labels should URM analyze the code?
Thanks for looking into this.

So yes, URM will stop looking ahead for code once it encounters a jump/call, and report this jump/call under "next label".
Since in this case there's only a jump after the choice it will not report any code.

I think that stop looking for code once we detect a jump/call makes most sense, but maybe I will add a feature to show the "next label" code by clicking it?!

FrankKappel

Jun 13, 2018
Encrypted games dont work, for example Goodbye Eternity 0.8.1 - getting an archive error.
I bet because the game is encrypted inside one file.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
...for example Goodbye Eternity 0.8.1...
Goodbye Eternity never worked, not only because it's encrypted, it also tries to prevent any game modification from being loaded at game start. And for this very game it doesn't really matter (anymore), as the developer RNGeusEX is going to switch the game engine from Ren'Py to Godot with the next update anyway.

I've seen a few games that are not encrypted but also try to circumvent any mods from being loaded using different techniques (i.e. changing Ren'Py code to tell python what kind of archives are to be loaded at start, or just deleting any file that're in the game directory but are not in a list of approved files etc.), and I don't think there will ever be a "one solution that fits all".

I'm not ensure if encryption in general is an issue when it comes to URM. I still need to find more encrypted games to test it. Goodby Eternity so far is the only one I stumbled upon.

I think that stop looking for code once we detect a jump/call makes most sense, but maybe I will add a feature to show the "next label" code by clicking it?!
Hm. I kinda like the idea, but on the other hand: how many games are doing it like that? I'd say the majority of games I've played are changing variables in the current label (or maybe I just didn't realize so far when game did it differently).

Dr.Slime

Nov 15, 2022
0x52 Thank you so much for this Mod It's so good that now i can't play any Renpy game without adding URM to it .
To check every option and edit values everything basically .

Reactions: harem.king

harem.king

Engaged Member
Aug 16, 2023
I use this mod to give myself a billion money in every sandbox game (which is most of them).
So many hours of my life saved from being wasted.

Reactions: Crazy_Chicken87

Anjomi

Sep 13, 2018
Thanks for the detailed reply, but I do have access to android/data through Solid Explorer (it asks for permission for each folder) However, I can only create and delete files/folders, but not edit or copy/move ones created by Renpy. So I can install URM, but not edit or copy save files.

I have tried every workaround, but I suspect that Google has closed many of them in A14. It will get more difficult for each new release, hence my request for URM to build in a way to overcome it.

Thanks

Hey friend, fellow androider here too and feel your pain. But don't worry I come with good news....

First, for me personally, I can't even access anything beyond android/data (Android 13) since I have no root. I can't install URM the normal way so I don't know how it will offer alternative saves if it can't be installed in first place for non-rooted users....luckily there's workarounds:

Ama if you have any questions :)

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
I can only create and delete files/folders, but not edit or copy/move ones created by Renpy
Have you tried joiplay. I dont believe, you wont be able to create folders(anywhere) in android 14. I personally use android 13 and am having no problems using joiplay. You have to create a separate folder for games (I do that, but it is not mandatory but systematic) and open the .exe from the game folder, it is easy.

Jun 16, 2023
Thanks for the detailed reply, but I do have access to android/data through Solid Explorer (it asks for permission for each folder) However, I can only create and delete files/folders, but not edit or copy/move ones created by Renpy. So I can install URM, but not edit or copy save files.

I have tried every workaround, but I suspect that Google has closed many of them in A14. It will get more difficult for each new release, hence my request for URM to build in a way to overcome it.

Thanks
Did you try the AOSP files trick? If you have, then the best workaround would be using Joiplay like me and Belzeebub suggested or sticking with unofficial ports since they offer alternative saves and almost all of them supported urm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belzeebub$

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
android players make up a small minority and with the constant android security patches every month
I could not agree more and honestly, asking a modder to make an OS specific mod is torturing him. I am no coder/code savvy person but I think 0x52 has to work real hard for the mod as it is. We are (at least I am) grateful that he has done something that you can use universally for all renpy games. Since, you are android user I think you know there are so many other android games (non adult ones and of other platforms) and we have to wait for each of those games to be modded by some modder. Here, we can play any renpy game with this one single mod (most of them anyways) so, we do not have to wait for this mod to be updated to play that game. I have played like 100s or maybe 500s even games in this renpy platform and believe me before I came across this magic I had to wait for months (even more sometimes) for playing that game. One single example is Where the Heart is. People who played that knows how many times so many modders modded that game. Even in the last update it was updated after almost 3 months. I can go on about more other stuff about URM but it would be too much long. Lastly, sorry for this long message. What I mean to say is we should be grateful and be satisfied with what we get, we are taking it for granted that someone is working their ass off for us (most of whom are freeloaders) for nothing. We know how hard every work is in this world and how costly they are. Donot demand anything which is far fetched and much difficult. Finally (I swear this is final) I wish everyone a very happy and prosperous New Year in advance. Donot be offended by any of my words, I just donot mean ill of anyone, also sometimes curiousity gets the best of me and I ask for ETA of the next update. I apologise for that too. Thanks for humoring me.

Last edited:

Anjomi

Sep 13, 2018
OK, calm down everybody, I was just asking for a feature. If the dev doesn't think it's a priority then no complaints from me.

As you've pointed out Joiplay does work as it doesn't save anything to android/data.

Thanks, and gave a great 2024

I could not agree more and honestly, asking a modder to make an OS specific mod is torturing him. I am no coder/code savvy person but I think 0x52 has to work real hard for the mod as it is. We are (at least I am) grateful that he has done something that you can use universally for all renpy games. Since, you are android user I think you know there are so many other android games (non adult ones and of other platforms) and we have to wait for each of those games to be modded by some modder. Here, we can play any renpy game with this one single mod (most of them anyways) so, we do not have to wait for this mod to be updated to play that game. I have played like 100s or maybe 500s even games in this renpy platform and believe me before I came across this magic I had to wait for months (even more sometimes) for playing that game. One single example is Where the Heart is. People who played that knows how many times so many modders modded that game. Even in the last update it was updated after almost 3 months. I can go on about more other stuff about URM but it would be too much long. Lastly, sorry for this long message. What I mean to say is we should be grateful and be satisfied with what we get, we are taking it for granted that someone is working their ass off for us (most of whom are freeloaders) for nothing. We know how hard every work is in this world and how costly they are. Donot demand anything which is far fetched and much difficult. Finally (I swear this is final) I wish everyone a very happy and prosperous New Year in advance. Donot be offended by any of my words, I just donot mean ill of anyone, also sometimes curiousity gets the best of me and I ask for ETA of the next update. I apologise for that too. Thanks for humoring me.

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
0x52 Any possibility to look at that request of having the variables in the watch list being shown ordered alphabetically (in the watch list panel) ?
Yes, I know you are doing a great job for free (well, aside some "coffee" from time to time), and cannot satisfy all the requests from everybody, just wanted to be sure that request had not disappeared from the list of possibilities.
By the way, have a great end of 2023 and start of 2024 !

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Just published URM 2.0.1 bèta. This fixes some issues that URM 2.0 has with Ren'Py 7.5+ and 8.0+ games.
You can get the new bèta .

Also... if you're using the bèta and experience any issues, don't hesitate to report them.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes