Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Happy new year 0x52, and thanks for the update! And no, I haven't found any issues so far, but rest assured -- I will do report bugs if I find them ;)

Reactions: 0x52

tania

Jun 30, 2017
Is it possible, in the Variables window create a column after the value one with option of "description" that we can edit and type anything in front of the variable we found because so many variables have code names like "rLM" and "NFpth" and at the end of day we cant remember what that variable is for!
I dont know if using the option to edit the name of variable with corrupt the game scrypt

Last edited:

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
Is it possible, in the Variables window create a column after the value one with option of "description" that we can edit and type anything in front of the variable we found because so many variables have code names like "rLM" and "NFpth" and at the end of day we cant remember what that variable is for!
I dont know if using the option to edit the name os variable with corrupt the game crypt
When you flag a variable to remember, you can edit the name listed in URM without changing the variable itself in the game. For games where the varnames are confusing or nondescript, I rename them all the time to things like "Naomi (N_pts)" or "Anna (Cousin) Corruption (Ccor)" or things like that on the URM vars page, keeping the original var name in parentheses.

Reactions: 0x52

tania

Jun 30, 2017
When you flag a variable to remember, you can edit the name listed in URM without changing the variable itself in the game. For games where the varnames are confusing or nondescript, I rename them all the time to things like "Naomi (N_pts)" or "Anna (Cousin) Corruption (Ccor)" or things like that on the URM vars page, keeping the original var name in parentheses.
But that will change the code of the variable, do the game work normally? bacause you just change the variable name, can the game call the correct variable?

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
But that will change the code of the variable, do the game work normally? bacause you just change the variable name, can the game call the correct variable?
No, like I said, it does not change the variable in the game. All it does is change how the name column displays in URM's Variables page. As I said, I do this all the time.

tania

Jun 30, 2017
No, like I said, it does not change the variable in the game. All it does is change how the name column displays in URM's Variables page. As I said, I do this all the time.
Ok thanks, i never edit it because i thought it would change the code of the variable!

tania

Jun 30, 2017
Found an issues using beta 2.0.1 , test with couple of games, wen you do a full mode textbox customizer , the text to voice option will stop working, light mode works fine.

MeguIsHot

Aug 31, 2022
Is there a way to replace a single instance of text without replacing it whenever else it's said? For example, if I want to replace "What?" with "Are you kidding me?" for one specific time that it's said without replacing every "What?" with it?

Another thing, I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't always pick up on punctuation marks. Sometimes if the text that I'm trying to replace has a punctuation mark in it, it just doesn't recognize, for example, the comma I put in as being in the original text, so it doesn't replace it. Any workaround/way to fix this?

Last edited:

dacris69

M, TI
Donor
Nov 20, 2017
Hi, this might be answered already but is there any way to change the key that opens it ingame, something else instead of alt+m

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Is there a way to replace a single instance of text without replacing it whenever else it's said? For example, if I want to replace "What?" with "Are you kidding me?" for one specific time that it's said without replacing every "What?" with it?
It's (currently) not possible to only replace a single occurence. Maybe you could replace more then just "What?" to make is more unique.
For example, if the original is "What? I don't understand", you could replace it with "Are you kidding me? I don't understand".

Another thing, I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't always pick up on punctuation marks. Sometimes if the text that I'm trying to replace has a punctuation mark in it, it just doesn't recognize, for example, the comma I put in as being in the original text, so it doesn't replace it. Any workaround/way to fix this?
I'm not completely sure what you mean. Maybe you need to enable the option "Replace parts of words"? Because punctuation splits words.

Hi there guys,I apoligize in advance for my question not directly about the topic,but I cannot play with this old laptop ren'py games at top.The problem is that into all Ren'py games I cannot see the animations,I can see only the text but in background I can see only blackscreen.I already update my direct x drivers and video drivers but still nothing.Anyone maybe had the same problem and he could fix it?Thnx in advance and sorry again.Bye!
Maybe you should post your issue here.

Hi, this might be answered already but is there any way to change the key that opens it ingame, something else instead of alt+m
It's currently not possible. Hopefully in the future.

Reactions: Feyd

MeguIsHot

Aug 31, 2022
It's (currently) not possible to only replace a single occurence. Maybe you could replace more then just "What?" to make is more unique.
For example, if the original is "What? I don't understand", you could replace it with "Are you kidding me? I don't understand".
Unfortunate, I was more thinking along the lines of if "What?" was the entire line, so I'd replace only that and it wouldn't affect "What? I don't understand." Thank you for answering though.

I'm not completely sure what you mean. Maybe you need to enable the option "Replace parts of words"? Because punctuation splits words.
For example, let's say the original was "Lions, pandas, snakes, we have pretty much everything here at the zoo." and I wanted to replace it with something else, it wouldn't let me because of the commas. If I wanted to replace only "we have pretty much everything here at the zoo", it would work. If I wanted to replace only "Lions", it would work. But as soon as I want to replace something with a comma, such as "Lions," it won't work. And I know that the commas themselves are the problems because if I try to replace "," then it still doesn't work. The weirdest thing is that this isn't even always the case, it just sometimes doesn't want to work and I can't find a way to get around it. Keep in mind that I just used commas as an example, it isn't exclusive to them. I've had it happen with question marks, exclamation points, asterisks, so on and so forth.

_user

Jan 16, 2022
Unfortunate, I was more thinking along the lines of if "What?" was the entire line, so I'd replace only that and it wouldn't affect "What? I don't understand." Thank you for answering though.

For example, let's say the original was "Lions, pandas, snakes, we have pretty much everything here at the zoo." and I wanted to replace it with something else, it wouldn't let me because of the commas. If I wanted to replace only "we have pretty much everything here at the zoo", it would work. If I wanted to replace only "Lions", it would work. But as soon as I want to replace something with a comma, such as "Lions," it won't work. And I know that the commas themselves are the problems because if I try to replace "," then it still doesn't work. The weirdest thing is that this isn't even always the case, it just sometimes doesn't want to work and I can't find a way to get around it. Keep in mind that I just used commas as an example, it isn't exclusive to them. I've had it happen with question marks, exclamation points, asterisks, so on and so forth.
Works fine here, but if special characters don't get picked for some reason you need to escape them with the escape character '\'. It's what you need when you want to add special characters to regex searches like "escape the \.".

Valius

Jun 7, 2018
Hey all, I wrote a little script to copy the mod file into each folder if you are like me and have many games. Root directory would be where your Ren'py games are and sourcefile is where URM is located.

Code:
@echo off
set "sourceFile=<path to URM>"
set "rootDirectory=<Path to Renpy Games>"

for /d %%a in ("%rootDirectory%\*") do (
    for /d %%b in ("%%a\*") do (
        if exist "%%b\game" (
            echo Copying "%sourceFile%" to "%%b\game"
            copy /Y "%sourceFile%" "%%b\game"
        )
    )
)

echo Copy process completed.
pause

Reactions: Zolt

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
Hey all, I wrote a little script to copy the mod file into each folder if you are like me and have many games. Root directory would be where your Ren'py games are and sourcefile is where URM is located.

Code:
@echo off
set "sourceFile=<path to URM>"
set "rootDirectory=<Path to Renpy Games>"

for /d %%a in ("%rootDirectory%\*") do (
    for /d %%b in ("%%a\*") do (
        if exist "%%b\game" (
            echo Copying "%sourceFile%" to "%%b\game"
            copy /Y "%sourceFile%" "%%b\game"
        )
    )
)

echo Copy process completed.
pause
Will it work in/on android? Where to put this code?

Last edited:

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
Just published URM 2.0.1 bèta. This fixes some issues that URM 2.0 has with Ren'Py 7.5+ and 8.0+ games.
You can get the new bèta .

Also... if you're using the bèta and experience any issues, don't hesitate to report them.
It's not happening in all games, but a fair few of them don't seem to like the new beta version.

Replacing the URM beta folder with v1.15.2 fixes the issue immediately, just fyi.

Here's the traceback for one example, but others do generally the same:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This happens when I open URM, find a var by searching, then save it in the variables list, then back to the game and... press M key, or alt-M, possibly both. You can roll-back from the error screen, too.

That said, I do use some other utils that don't always play nice with games, so it is possible one of those is the base cause (though their name isn't showing in any of the tracebacks).

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019

I'll look into this

It's not happening in all games, but a fair few of them don't seem to like the new beta version.

Replacing the URM beta folder with v1.15.2 fixes the issue immediately, just fyi.

Here's the traceback for one example, but others do generally the same:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This happens when I open URM, find a var by searching, then save it in the variables list, then back to the game and... press M key, or alt-M, possibly both. You can roll-back from the error screen, too.

That said, I do use some other utils that don't always play nice with games, so it is possible one of those is the base cause (though their name isn't showing in any of the tracebacks).
Looks like you're still on 2.0 and not 2.0.1?

Reactions: Feyd

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Found an issues using beta 2.0.1 , test with couple of games, wen you do a full mode textbox customizer , the text to voice option will stop working, light mode works fine.
Good find. This happens because I prevented the URM interface from being self voices, but this includes the custom textbox.
Will be fixed in the next release ;)

Reactions: Feyd and theMickey_
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes