Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Crashes the game Healslut version 0.92a.
CTD on Power Vacuum at certain points...
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?

Reactions: 0x52

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
It's because the developer of this game doesn't use the "standard" way of how choices are implemented, they use some button-overlay-screens, and that's something URM doesn't (can't...?!) check for.
Right. URM (or a game-specific modder) could have choice detection working on a single game's custom choice screen, but it likely wouldn't work on any other custom choice screen in any other game. For that game, dacris69 is probably best off just using scrappy's game-specific WT+gallery mod.

fh321

Nov 15, 2023
Often times (not the majority, but a significant minority of games) when I add URM to the 'game' folder, the renpy launcher disappears. Why does that happen? How can i fix it? So far, the only option i've come up with is to delete the game and re-download the whole thing (and not put URM in).

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Often times (not the majority, but a significant minority of games) when I add URM to the 'game' folder, the renpy launcher disappears.
What do you mean by "the renpy launcher disappears"? Are you playing on a Windows PC/laptop, or are you playing on a mobile device? Because on a Windows PC/laptop I don't even have a launcher, just an EXE file I need to execute to start the game, and by just placing URM into the "game" subfolder this EXE files does not just disappear. So I'm wondering what exactly are the steps you're doing to make the game's launcher go "pooof!".

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Found a weird bug in this game
https://f95zone.to/threads/divimera-r11-redikal.81300/

latest version of URM shows a bunch of duplicates for each variable
View attachment 3705824
Thanks for the report. This will be fixed in the next release.

the testing I did _was_ on a HDD, but it looks like I'm able to reproduce it on my SSD as well.
Very odd. I'm curious if anybody else ever experienced this.
This should be theoretically impossible and I can't reproduce it.

Reactions: Feyd

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Version 2.2.1 is out!

Changelog:
  • Quickmenu: Skip button now supports fast skipping to the next choice (right click / long press)
  • Quickmenu: Additional buttons: Load, Save, URM and Exit
  • Fix: Variables could appear multiple times in the search result
  • Fix: The option to disable searching persistent variables didn't work anymore
  • Fix: In some cases the same "variable changed" notification could popup multiple times

fh321

Nov 15, 2023
What do you mean by "the renpy launcher disappears"? Are you playing on a Windows PC/laptop, or are you playing on a mobile device? Because on a Windows PC/laptop I don't even have a launcher, just an EXE file I need to execute to start the game, and by just placing URM into the "game" subfolder this EXE files does not just disappear. So I'm wondering what exactly are the steps you're doing to make the game's launcher go "pooof!".
Hi! Yes, I am playing on a Windows laptop. And the exe icon vanishes (again, only in like 1/3 of the games) as soon as I drop the URM file into the 'game' folder. If there is a 32-bit exe file, that disappears as well. It's really odd! I've tried to change my settings to 'show hidden files', thinking maybe it just isn't visible for some reason, but no, the button to start the game vanishes from the File Explorer.

Chrisdarock19

Oct 15, 2018
Hi! Yes, I am playing on a Windows laptop. And the exe icon vanishes (again, only in like 1/3 of the games) as soon as I drop the URM file into the 'game' folder. If there is a 32-bit exe file, that disappears as well. It's really odd! I've tried to change my settings to 'show hidden files', thinking maybe it just isn't visible for some reason, but no, the button to start the game vanishes from the File Explorer.
I also play on windows laptop and the same thing happens. The antivirus quarantine's the game exe on startup. Sometimes to get around this I scan URM or the game exe first so it does not get flagged/knows it has no virus.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
...the exe icon vanishes (again, only in like 1/3 of the games) as soon as I drop the URM file into the 'game' folder...
...the antivirus quarantine's the game exe on startup...
This has never happened to me before, that's really strange! Because any antivirus program should either delete/quarantine the game's .EXE file as soon as you unpack it and not when you put URM into the game subfolder, or should just leave it untouched forever.

What antivirus programs are you using btw? I'm using Windows Defender only, and I never had that issue with any Ren'Py game at all.

Chrisdarock19

Oct 15, 2018
This has never happened to me before, that's really strange! Because any antivirus program should either delete/quarantine the game's .EXE file as soon as you unpack it and not when you put URM into the game subfolder, or should just leave it untouched forever.

What antivirus programs are you using btw? I'm using Windows Defender only, and I never had that issue with any Ren'Py game at all.
I have Avast.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019

I guess this has to do with the performance of your system and implementation of AV.
Games that do not use .rpa files normally contain quite a lot of files and can take some time to extract. And that large amount of files will probably also take a while to check by the AV.

But the .exe being deleted is definitely not related to URM.

Reactions: theMickey_ and Feyd

grapz666

Oct 29, 2021
Bug report

Are you using the latest version of URM?
Yes, 2.2.1

Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
College Kings A1 v1.4.13 (https://f95zone.to/threads/college-kings-act-2-v5-0-0-undergrad-steve.63177/)

If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
Attached

What did you do that caused the issue?
Start the game

What OS are you on?
Windows 11 23H2

Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?
No other mods. Game starts fine when removing URM.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Ah, apologies. I found some older replies in this thread about it but not those ones.
Nevermind me then :)
Here's a quick tip for you (and everybody else who hasn't done this yet): click on your profile at the very top, then select "Preferences", and scroll down until you find "Search Options" -- and change them to "Most recent".

1717919867082.png

Reactions: Crazy_Chicken87
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes