Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes
Feb 16, 2019
I've remembered a list variable and set it to notify when it changes, but the notifications don't popup even when new things are added to the list. I have the latest version, so just wondering if this is a bug or if lists just aren't supported for change notifications?

Shynasha

Mar 19, 2019
Tried to use this with Milf Plaza latest version (The steam one), and I can't seem to be able to open the menu, tried Alt+M and Shift+M and they don't both work, did the keys change overtime? Or does it not work with this game ? People in the cheat thread for this game said to use this instead of the cheat mod since it's heavily outdated

Here is the log, just in case

Edit: Forgot the point out I am using the incest patch, but removing them doesn't seem to change anything

Funny Edit: Turn out, Windows is stupid and didn't copy and paste the mod in the folder, obviously it's not gonna work if it's not there lmao, sorry for the confusing time... :ROFLMAO:

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Please find a fix for that game, too.
If you had searched for "healslut" before posting your question, you would have found this post (long post, but towards the end there's a part about "HealSlut"), where 0x52 explains, that the developers of that game broke Ren'Py by using a reserved variable, and there's nothing he can do about that.

Please do use the search at the very top before asking about games -- the chances are high, that you're not the only one with an issue, and there might already be an answer within this thread (this also might help with searching threads). Thank you!

Reactions: 0x52 and saarlewder

saarlewder

Apr 17, 2024
If you had searched for "healslut" before posting your question, you would have found this post (long post, but towards the end there's a part about "HealSlut"), where 0x52 explains, that the developers of that game broke Ren'Py by using a reserved variable, and there's nothing he can do about that.

Please do use the search at the very top before asking about games -- the chances are high, that you're not the only one with an issue, and there might already be an answer within this thread (this also might help with searching threads). Thank you!
Thanks!
I saw that the mod for no background for text still works, so I thought it would be something the author can do about it.

Cyrix72

Oct 31, 2021
I am currently having a weird issue with line spacing in Motherless when using custom text boxes. If there's a line break in a dialogue, there's missing some space between the text lines where characters of the 2nd line are sort of mold into the characters above:
1718124615255.png

It's not just for game text, even your mod seems to be affected:
1718124779907.png

Is this something that could be tweaked in the settings or is it too specific to this particular VN? I'd not call it severe, but it's a bit confusing while reading. Well, at least to me. :)

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I've remembered a list variable and set it to notify when it changes, but the notifications don't popup even when new things are added to the list. I have the latest version, so just wondering if this is a bug or if lists just aren't supported for change notifications?
Sorry. Lists aren't supported by monitoring and freezing. I will block the monitor/freeze option in a next update, but might actually support them in a more distant release.

I am currently having a weird issue with line spacing in Motherless when using custom text boxes. If there's a line break in a dialogue, there's missing some space between the text lines where characters of the 2nd line are sort of mold into the characters above:
View attachment 3726896

It's not just for game text, even your mod seems to be affected:
View attachment 3726914

Is this something that could be tweaked in the settings or is it too specific to this particular VN? I'd not call it severe, but it's a bit confusing while reading. Well, at least to me. :)
I'll look into it.
Edit: Fixed in next release

Last edited:

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
The question has already been asked, but on some games, the variable is not displayed when a choice is made. As with this game: Law School
The question has not only been asked and answered several times, Law School specifically was the game about which it last came up, last page. (Answers in the following posts to the linked one.)

Reactions: Ptroll and 0x52

metacuca

Jul 25, 2020
URM version 2.2.1, I got this error.

but on version 2.0.2 this error not happening.

test all versions after 2.0.2 this error did appear.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

pds72

Sep 25, 2019
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • Mythic Manor [v0.21] [Jikei]
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • N/A Game runs fine. It is just when opening the command console.
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Open the console (shift+M) New error line shows when pressing "Enter"
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • URM_MM.png
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  • What OS are you on?
  • Windows-10-10.0.19045
    Ren'Py 8.2.0.24012702
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?
  • Fresh install. The AppData folder was deleted. No other Mods were used.
Note: Don't know if it helps.... But before deleting the game to reinstall, I ran UNREN on the game. The older version UnRen-forallv.8.8 couldn't decompile the .rpyc fully and gave a bunch of errors. The newer 9.4 version worked.

Reactions: theMickey_

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
URM version 2.2.1, I got this error.

but on version 2.0.2 this error not happening.

test all versions after 2.0.2 this error did appear.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While processing text tag { u r m _ n o t l } in '{ u r m _ n o t l } C h e c k   f o r   u p d a t e { / u r m _ n o t l }'.:
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 671, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
Exception: Unknown text tag ' u r m _ n o t l '

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 409, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\main.py", line 749, in main
    run(restart)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\main.py", line 178, in run
    renpy.execution.run_context(True)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\execution.py", line 955, in run_context
    context.run()
  File "start.rpyc", line 773, in script call
  File "cl/labels_room.rpyc", line 84, in script
  File "lib/python3.9/future/utils/__init__.py", line 444, in raise_
  File "start.rpyc", line 773, in script call
  File "cl/labels_room.rpyc", line 84, in script
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\ast.py", line 1968, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\ast.py", line 1950, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\statements.py", line 349, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 671, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\exports.py", line 3413, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\ui.py", line 301, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\display\core.py", line 2165, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, pause_modal=pause_modal, **kwargs) # type: ignore
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\display\core.py", line 2818, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\display\core.py", line 1352, in draw_screen
    surftree = renpy.display.render.render_screen(
  File "render.pyx", line 486, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
  File "render.pyx", line 260, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\display\layout.py", line 900, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "render.pyx", line 170, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\display\layout.py", line 900, in render
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\display\screen.py", line 754, in render
    child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1361, in render
    surf = render(child,
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1076, in render
    surf = render(d, rw, height - y, cst, cat)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\text\text.py", line 2276, in render
    virtual_layout = Layout(self, width, height, renders, drawable_res=False, size_only=True)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\text\text.py", line 640, in __init__
    self.paragraphs = self.segment(text.tokens, style, renders, text)
  File "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\LoSeSb-24.5.1c-pc_itchio\renpy\text\text.py", line 1394, in segment
    raise Exception("Unknown text tag %r" % text)
Exception: Unknown text tag ' u r m _ n o t l '

Windows-10-10.0.22631 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.2.1.24030407
Love & Sex : Second Base - 24.5.1c 24.5.1c
Thu Jun 13 02:14:13 2024
[code]
This is a known issue with that game. Will probably be fixed in a future version of URM.

• Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • Mythic Manor [v0.21] [Jikei]
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • N/A Game runs fine. It is just when opening the command console.
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Open the console (shift+M) New error line shows when pressing "Enter"
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • View attachment 3731287
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  • What OS are you on?
  • Windows-10-10.0.19045
    Ren'Py 8.2.0.24012702
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?
  • Fresh install. The AppData folder was deleted. No other Mods were used.
Note: Don't know if it helps.... But before deleting the game to reinstall, I ran UNREN on the game. The older version UnRen-forallv.8.8 couldn't decompile the .rpyc fully and gave a bunch of errors. The newer 9.4 version worked.
Thanks. I expect this issue to cause variable freezing/monitoring to not work fully as expected.
I will look into this.

Reactions: metacuca

Skep-tiker

Oct 11, 2023
Does URM offer an instant Walktrough feature (meaning showing variable changes directly in the choice menu) - if yes, how do i activate it?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Does URM offer an instant Walktrough feature (meaning showing variable changes directly in the choice menu) - if yes, how do i activate it?
I'm also interested.
URM does not display the change of a variable within a choice text, but it does detect choices, and if a variable change is about to happen based on that choice, and it does happen within a reasonable (code) range of that choice, URM can display which variables will change if you click on "Show" in the "Code" column of URM's choice popup:

1718438452184.png

So it's not exactly the same as many walkthrough mods do, but it basically does the same -- and because URM doesn't change any of the original code of the game, it works with any version of the game unlike most walkthrough mods.

Reactions: Skep-tiker

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Could you please add a feature to retrieve the name of the currently playing game music?
If you want to get the music title, I'm pretty sure that's (almost) impossible. URM might be able to tell you "The song you're hearing currently is called 'Background_music.ogg'" -- but that's about it. Unless the game developers decided to name the music file exactly the same as the original title of the song, there's probably no way to identify the name of music within Ren'Py games.

I've extracted a couple of Ren'Py games, and this is what music files usually look like:
  • Background_music.ogg
  • Background_music2_Brunno.ogg
  • Background_music3_Disclo_ultralounge.ogg
  • Sexy_music1_monks_topher.ogg
  • Sexy_music2_necking_topher.ogg
  • at_jodys_1.mp3
  • booty_calls_1.mp3
  • chillax.mp3
  • days_1.mp3
  • 1.mp3
  • 2.mp3
  • caffe_music.wav
...and so on. I've only seen a single game so far where the file names are the actual song titles:
  • Chris Zabriskie - Laserdisc.ogg
  • Scott Buckley - Nightfall.ogg
  • Small Colin - Setup With An E.ogg

Reactions: 0x52
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes