Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
So I'm not really sure if this is an issue with URM, but lately, I've been finding multiple games having issues with variables and rollback. If a variable is changed or flag is set, and I rollback to before that choice or instance, it keeps the changes. Since it's happening with many different games and the common link is URM, I thought maybe this was the cause.

If this is the first time hearing about it, I can do some tests to see if URM is really causing it. Let me know.
there's issue with RenPy, when you change variable (even using console) then do rollback, it also reverts to previous value, but when you roll forward, your "new" value isn't restored.
Does this answer your question, or did you mean something different?
It has been reporter here, but I didn't have time to look into this yet.

Reactions: desmosome

Lure of Chaos

Apr 21, 2020
It has been reporter here, but I didn't have time to look into this yet.
I don't think you should and even can do something about it, since RenPy state is saved each "frame"(action) and doesn't save when you change variable in some "hacky" way (i.e. using console or URM)
just a player should make a save after have "cheated" or even do these changes "early", i mean some frames ago before it's needed to rollback.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I don't think you should and even can do something about it, since RenPy state is saved each "frame"(action) and doesn't save when you change variable in some "hacky" way (i.e. using console or URM)
just a player should make a save after have "cheated" or even do these changes "early", i mean some frames ago before it's needed to rollback.
That's not the issue. Rolling back is not reverting variables or flags (not talking about cheating anything). I'm pretty sure this is a recent issue with URM. I've been using this mod for a long time and only noticed this behavior recently.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
So I'm not really sure if this is an issue with URM, but lately, I've been finding multiple games having issues with variables and rollback. If a variable is changed or flag is set, and I rollback to before that choice or instance, it keeps the changes. Since it's happening with many different games and the common link is URM, I thought maybe this was the cause.

If this is the first time hearing about it, I can do some tests to see if URM is really causing it. Let me know.
I tried to reproduce this, but couldn't get the issue. It works as expected for me.
Do you maybe have an example (or multiple) where this happens? If you could supply a save it would be even better.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I tried to reproduce this, but couldn't get the issue. It works as expected for me.
Do you maybe have an example (or multiple) where this happens? If you could supply a save it would be even better.
It doesn't seem to happen to all games, but I did notice it in a lot of them.

https://f95zone.to/threads/evergreen-valley-v0-2-blackphoenixst.142559/

1-1 save is the variable isa_sc. If you click the first choice, you get +1. If you roll back, it sometimes stays at +1 instead of going to 0. You pick that choice again, you end up at +2. But if you roll back again, it goes back to 0. It seems so random. Other games, I've had it stack up even more.

1-2 save is for the flag sk_toesanne. If you pick the first choice, it sets it to True. If you roll back and pick the other choice, it's still set to true.

I just tested it without URM, and it works fine then.

If you need more examples, I can hunt for more. I remember Cure for Madness and Stray Incubus also had this problem with URM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0x52

mesungehaul

Feb 1, 2018
I'm able can reproduce it, but it's not clear to me why this is happening. And it seems like only "Town of Magic" is affected?
So I don't want to put too much time into this. If it's something that affects multiple VNs I will investigate further.
Fair, glhf!

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Is there a way to figure out what they did exactly, to bypass it? Thanks.
Yes, the problem is that I cannot decompile the .rpyc files.
Regarding the re:Dreamer issue I have some news on this front...
1674692333435.png

NoddleKing? for you I got a suggestion you might want to try. Go into the game folder, delete the script_version.txt file you'll find there, add 0x52_URM.rpa and run the game

0x52 I sent you a DM with a link to the tool I used. And a summary of what I did and how I found out. I'll leave it to you to solve this mystery as I'm stumped at this point.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
  • Love
Reactions: NoddleKing and 0x52

Vega Cifer

Oct 3, 2022
Could it be that you changed the variable and immediately saved after that?
Ren'Py will only remember a changed variable after you forwarded a screen.
Oml that was exactly the problem. I tried going forward a bit and then saved and it worked. Guess I didn't try that because if was on a to be continued screen till next update. Thank you!

Reactions: 0x52

john1230

Oct 6, 2020
I'm not sure what's causing this but URM v1.13.1 and v1.13.2 can't find the money variable in A Very Full House game.

Save Editor Online have the money variable visible when I use it to edit the save, so it's really strange for URM to not find it.

Can someone test URM on "A Very Full House" game and confirm? Thanks.

MrBenny

Jul 20, 2021
OK for the life of me I can't figure out why the 0x52_URM tool will not work with the JASON game title that is using Ren'py 7.4.11. (The tool doesn't respond when ever a story choice happens while playing). Normally if the Ren'py engine is lower than 6.99.12, it will not work.

Anyone know how to fix this issue with the 0x52_URM tool, so it will work properly with the JASON game title?
JASON https://f95zone.to/threads/jason-v0-6-3-coeurdecochon.95537/

Last edited:

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
OK for the life of me I can't figure out why the 0x52_URM tool will not work with the JASON game title ...
I just tested it -- and it seems that this game is in French without the option to change the language to English, so I don't understand what's going on at all. But what I did see, that instead of *.rpa files it has a couple of *.jas files in its game directory, which I wasn't able to unpack/decrypt to check their content.

If you just add the 0x52_URM.rpa file to the games directory, URM won't work (I guess because the game is expecting *.jas files instead of *.rpa...?! That's just a wild guess on my end though), but if you extract the 0x52_URM.rpa with unren, URM works just perfect with this game :p

// EDIT: Looking at the file renpy\loader.py in the game's directory, I can confirm that it's only accepting *.jas files:
1674862554790.png
...and if you rename 0x52_URM.rpa to 0x52_URM.jas, URM works perfercly fine. So no need to unpack URM, just rename the file :cool:

Last edited:

MrBenny

Jul 20, 2021
I just tested it -- and it seems that this game is in French without the option to change the language to English, so I don't understand what's going on at all. But what I did see, that instead of *.rpa files it has a couple of *.jas files in its game directory, which I wasn't able to unpack/decrypt to check their content.

If you just add the 0x52_URM.rpa file to the games directory, URM won't work (I guess because the game is expecting *.jas files instead of *.rpa...?! That's just a wild guess on my end though), but if you extract the 0x52_URM.rpa with unren, URM works just perfect with this game :p

// EDIT: Looking at the file renpy\loader.py in the game's directory, I can confirm that it's only accepting *.jas files:
...and if you rename 0x52_URM.rpa to 0x52_URM.jas, URM works perfercly fine. So no need to unpack URM, just rename the file :cool:
Great work... Thanks for all your effort finding a solution. Also, I believe this information will definitely aid others.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
They're normal RPA files, just have their extension changed. If you rename them to .rpa they'll unpack just fine. Plus you get a prompt at the start to select the language...
After the game has started and you didn't select the language at the first screen, there's a flag in the preferences screen indicating which language is selected, clicking it also allows changing it.
View attachment 2344989
...and if you rename 0x52_URM.rpa to 0x52_URM.jas, URM works perfercly fine. So no need to unpack URM, just rename the file
You could also just edit that above piece of code and add the " .rpa" extension. This also allows you to rename the .jas files back to .rpa and unpack them.

EDIT: Even though the game itself doesn't attract me, I must say the music that plays during the truck scenes do give a great "car radio" feel. Curious how long it'll last though, the dev is using copyrighted music so he/she will very likely get wrist slapped at some point to either pay huge licence fees or remove the music.

EDIT2: Damn this game is crippled AF... none of the referenced webm files are contained in the .rpa (a.k.a. .jas) files. According to options.rpy there should be a video.jas file, but it's missing in the download

EDIT3: Dev fixed it, get the videos

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
It doesn't seem to happen to all games, but I did notice it in a lot of them.

https://f95zone.to/threads/evergreen-valley-v0-2-blackphoenixst.142559/

1-1 save is the variable isa_sc. If you click the first choice, you get +1. If you roll back, it sometimes stays at +1 instead of going to 0. You pick that choice again, you end up at +2. But if you roll back again, it goes back to 0. It seems so random. Other games, I've had it stack up even more.

1-2 save is for the flag sk_toesanne. If you pick the first choice, it sets it to True. If you roll back and pick the other choice, it's still set to true.

I just tested it without URM, and it works fine then.

If you need more examples, I can hunt for more. I remember Cure for Madness and Stray Incubus also had this problem with URM.
Thanks a lot. This helped me reproduce and fix the issue.
I will try to release the fix tomorrow ;)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

ArunPrime

Nov 5, 2022
I can't search some scenes I'm already watched. Anyone tell me how to see the scenes I'm trying many names in urn search option but no use.anyone have ideas please let me know.
Thank you...

Jul 17, 2020
running into a problem with URM on the game Rewind v0.3.0.5
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

ADVCharacter is defined in renpy/character.py

this happens when i try to save a found variable in URM (player.int, player.end, player.agi, player.str)

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes