Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

fishbrain

Engaged Member
Apr 9, 2018
from my experience , if it not works you get a crash and traceback file
would be nice to see those
When I went into the mod everything seems to work, but it does have the original name bracketed {Parker}. Name doesn't change for character icon or in dialogue, but no crash or traceback.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
When I went into the mod everything seems to work, but it does have the original name bracketed {Parker}. Name doesn't change for character icon or in dialogue, but no crash or traceback.
ah i see - does not work :(

Screenshot_1.png

you can maybe change them here

variables.rpy

Screenshot_2.png

Reactions: 0x52

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Variables changed the character icon but still no change in dialogue. I did remove that relationships as persistent file too but nothing changed there either.
which names you want to change to what

im trying to make it

edit:

follow these steps :
for amber

Screenshot_1.png

for the others :
(you have to do it every update)
chloe for example

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png Screenshot_4.png

(coach jenkins is Sara for parts of dialogue ; )

Last edited:
Reactions: theMickey_

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
follow these steps :
Did a quick test, and it works.
- the "Variables.rpy" is just for the "icons" or "dialogues titles" as I would call them
- the dialogues itself still contain the hard-coded names

So both have to be changed to make it actually work. One by editing the file, the other can change can be done by URM.

Btw: setting variables for player names and then still using the hard-coded names in dialogues is a bad coding style, just saying ;)

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
0x52 - I wish that the bug with folder names spaces would be fixed. I have to go to This PC > Downloaded (E:) > 003 Adult Games and take the game folder (example: AuntMan 0.019) and then MOVE the folder to Downloaded (E:). And then RENAME the folder to something without spaces like abc. Only then will URM work. Then I have to move the game folder back to 003 Adult Games and then rename it back to the desired folder name. If the bug with folder name spaces was fixed, it would make things a lot easier. Sorry for sounding like a complainer, I love your mod and I appreciate you fixing the (Thinking) (Whispers) parenthesis bug two weeks ago.
I don't know what you mean. I tried putting a game into a path including spaces, didn't encounter any issues (even tried AuntMan)

Kata

Feb 17, 2017
I've noticed this issue with a few games now, but the current one is Chosen, so I'll reference that in particular. But it seems like URM isn't good at identifying parent and child variables, and it's certainly unable to freeze any child variables.

For instance, in Chosen, there's a variable for the time, but it's under clock.time. However, even searching for "clock" turns up nothing, not even as the parent. In other games, even if the parent shows up in the search, and you can expand it to view all the child elements, while you can save the variable to your variable list, you can't watch or freeze that variable in particular.

I don't know if this is simply a ren'py an engine limitation, but hopefully it's fixable.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
I've noticed this issue with a few games now, but the current one is Chosen, so I'll reference that in particular. But it seems like URM isn't good at identifying parent and child variables, and it's certainly unable to freeze any child variables.

For instance, in Chosen, there's a variable for the time, but it's under clock.time. However, even searching for "clock" turns up nothing, not even as the parent. In other games, even if the parent shows up in the search, and you can expand it to view all the child elements, while you can save the variable to your variable list, you can't watch or freeze that variable in particular.

I don't know if this is simply a ren'py an engine limitation, but hopefully it's fixable.
there is no clock.time

Screenshot_1.png

edit : found clock.time

Screenshot_2.png

but
what do you need this at this game?
you can advance time with the buttons

but this is one for the master to solve :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: 0x52

Kata

Feb 17, 2017
but
what do you need this at this game?
you can advance time with the buttons

but this is one for the master to solve :ROFLMAO:
It's not needing this thing in particular, it's more that often a lot of sub variables don't show up in search. Some games they will, and others they won't. I just brought up the most convenient example of something that doesn't show up in search.

Also in cases where they show up, they can't be watched or frozen. I'm not sure if this is an engine limitation or is a fixable issue.

I suppose there's also the opportunity of adding a feature that allows you to manually enter a variable to remember/watch instead of having it show up from the search initially?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019

Thanks for reporting. This has to do with Ren'Py 8.x.
Will be fixed in the next release. Proof:
1679149161885.png

you can't watch or freeze that variable in particular.
Watching and freezing properties is (currently) not supported.
In your example "clock.time", "time" is a property of "clock".

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
URM 1.14 - Snapshot feature

It's been a while since the last major URM update, but the next one is here.
This one contains a snapshot feature. With this feature you can create a snapshot of all current variables, progress the game or load another save and let URM list all the variables that have changed.
Snapshots.jpg

I hope you enjoy this new feature. I think it's an awesome addition.

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
Just noting here in case others have this issue (or else it's somehow at my end)...

The game "Somewhere I Belong" appears to have a lot of vars that are hidden or don't come up in search.

e.g. using dev console -> Variable Viewer you will see a lot of vars that aren't found with URL search. "camila_" should return at least one line, a store object, but isn't found. Same with others.

You can find some vars, as there's a urm file for the game that has some vars, but those can be found when searching anyway.

Or am I missing something?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Belzeebub$

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
Yes, all of those which are already defined show up with Unren's Dev-console->Variable Viewer.

However inside URM, using search, they cannot be found.

mc_ = no results (although using just "mc" finds the MC's name)

_stats = no results

anyone's name, like: anais_ = no results (although it does find anais_adult_scene_replay which is not a store object, see below)

I looked a bit more and those all appear to be store objects.

However, URM finds store objects just fine in other games. That's why I'm wondering why not in this one.

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
I understand that.

I'm asking why URM, on it's Search screen, is not finding those "<store.CharAt... (etc)" objects in the game I mentioned.

In other games it does find them on the Search screen by using (as example from above "ethan_stats"), and displays them as a "store" with a radio button to expand them to see their subvariables.

• Hey there
Reactions: Boehser Onkel
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes