Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
0x52

Hey there, I got an idea for a feature. Do you think it would be possible to replace text only when it is spoken by certain characters?

For a makeshift incest patch, that would be quite helpful in cases where the dev didn't make different name variables to account for different characters referencing the mom.

Replacing the name with "mom" in all cases would lead to everyone calling her that. But if we can limit the replacement to when the line are spoken by her children, that would probably be good enough.
use this template meanwhile :cool:

Screenshot_3.png

the last part replaces text for all

Screenshot_4.png

Last edited:

Vleder

Dec 14, 2020
New milestone! We've reached 25 five star reviews here!
Congrats! Well deserved recognition!
In my opinion, URM goes far beyond the usual WT mods even if we're only playing to have WT aid. But I got used to it's other features and now I can't do without them. Character renaming, makeshift iPatches, path detection and the ability to play unselected labels are awesome features but the recent ability to customize textboxes really made me happy. The per character color selection was beyond my expectations...
I have just a few questions:
- sometimes, after defining totally transparent textboxes, during transitions, the old dialogue textbox still appears (something I normally solve by droping a blank textbox.png in the gui folder, but it's not universal). Is there another way around this?
- I really hate visual noise on AVNs and never use the quick menu, so I would welcome a simple feature to just deactivate it. I found this but haven't tryid it yet. Can it be used with URM?
- I remember reading a while ago about hiding path notifications for specific variables. Is it on the roadmap?

So, thanks for a lifesaving tool. Now I'm eagerly waiting for the improved watchpanel and the ability to create variable groups.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
In my opinion, URM goes far beyond the usual WT mods even if we're only playing to have WT aid. But I got used to it's other features and now I can't do without them. Character renaming, makeshift iPatches, path detection and the ability to play unselected labels are awesome features but the recent ability to customize textboxes really made me happy. The per character color selection was beyond my expectations...
I have just a few questions:
- sometimes, after defining totally transparent textboxes, during transitions, the old dialogue textbox still appears (something I normally solve by droping a blank textbox.png in the gui folder, but it's not universal). Is there another way around this?
- I really hate visual noise on AVNs and never use the quick menu, so I would welcome a simple feature to just deactivate it. I found this but haven't tryid it yet. Can it be used with URM?
- I remember reading a while ago about hiding path notifications for specific variables. Is it on the roadmap?

So, thanks for a lifesaving tool. Now I'm eagerly waiting for the improved watchpanel and the ability to create variable groups.
quickmenu :

you can search for it with urm
set true to false -works for 99% i say
sometimes the dev´s code a unique quickmenu style with different names for it
try to search for hide_qm or similiar then
Screenshot_6.png

texboxes - well that depends on the coding
screens.rpy

Screenshot_7.png

mostly this works
if the dev got "fancy" textboxes , well this maybe can cause the popups
like here - with opacity option

Screenshot_8.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Vleder

Vleder

Dec 14, 2020
quickmenu :
you can search for it with urm
set true to false -works for 99% i say
[...]
Thanks!
Thinking back, I really should have thought about that myself. I guess my mind just isn't formatted to grasp at the possibilities like that.

About the textboxes, and sorry for my ignorance, what you are suggesting is to edit the screens.rpy file? My coding abilities are zero, so I may end up creating more problems that solving them...

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Thanks!

Are you on URM 1.15.1 (not 1.15!)? If so, do you have examples of games where this happens?
A customizable quickmenu is om my internal roadmap, but just noticed it wasn't on the roadmap in het OP yet. It is now ;)

Yes, it's on the list.

I'll try to update the roadmap here soon, because I didn't really to this for a while. My private todo-list for URM currently contains 38 items :p

Vleder

Dec 14, 2020
Are you on URM 1.15.1 (not 1.15!)? If so, do you have examples of games where this happens?
I'm convinced it's the latest (in the zip file says it's from 2023-06-29) and it happened with MissFortune's Move the Chains just yesterday. At this point I don't recall any other example...
Thanks for your reply.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Thanks!
Thinking back, I really should have thought about that myself. I guess my mind just isn't formatted to grasp at the possibilities like that.

About the textboxes, and sorry for my ignorance, what you are suggesting is to edit the screens.rpy file? My coding abilities are zero, so I may end up creating more problems that solving them...
thats what i do
but for your issue it may better if 0x52 can sort this out

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
I'm convinced it's the latest (in the zip file says it's from 2023-06-29) and it happened with MissFortune's Move the Chains just yesterday. At this point I don't recall any other example...
Thanks for your reply.
this one is a bit tricky
like with the quickmenu there
the coding causing stutters , lags etc with the textbox and quickmenu
missfortune is working on it

tania

Jun 30, 2017
https://f95zone.to/threads/sunshine-love-ch-2-v1-00i-extras-mrdots-games.49330/
Sunshine Love CH2 1.00 compressed version, geting error at start using 1.15.1 (old 1.05.1 works):
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/0x52/classes/main.rpy", line 225, in <module>
TypeError: 'LabelOverridesSwitch' object does not support item assignment

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "renpy/main.py", line 560, in main
    renpy.game.context().run(node)
  File "0x52/classes/main.rpyc", line 200, in script
  File "0x52/classes/main.rpyc", line 200, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 928, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2245, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/0x52/classes/main.rpy", line 225, in <module>
TypeError: 'LabelOverridesSwitch' object does not support item assignment

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Sunshine Love CH2 1.00
Sun Jul 16 02:47:29 2023

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Sunshine Love CH2 1.00 compressed version, geting error at start using 1.15.1 (old 1.05.1 works):
I've just tested the unofficial compressed version from here -- and it's working perfectly fine with URM v1.15.1 on my end.

1689489879492.png

Did you add anything else? Like a Walkthrough mod, the iPatch or something else? I'd recommend to (re)download the full version from the game's OP or the compressed version from the link above, extracting it to a new folder, adding URM, and you should have no issues -- have fun.

// EDIT: Looking at your message history, you've reported the exact same issue two months ago, and it turned out it was the iPatch causing those issues of yours. I hope you've learned your lesson and did not add that stupid patch again ;)

Last edited:

fuck_you_mf

Jul 16, 2021
in the game hokage's life when i select the patreon only version it plays the patreon content upto 3 sentence then goes back to the non patreon version where MC decides to leave.
Screenshot (7).png Screenshot (8).png Screenshot (9).png

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
in the game hokage's life when i select the patreon only version ...
try to search for this "patreon version"variable and freeze it
Not much URM can do here -- there just is no more content :ROFLMAO:

1689513358400.png

It's also missing a "jump end" before line 344, that's why it's showing the Patreon version of the dialogue as well as non-patreon version...

In any case: Congratulations, you beat the game :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
i have this weird behaviour of urm
Are you playing a special version of the game? Because I've just tested it (downloaded it from Gofile from the game link you've posted), and I don't have any issues using URM 1.15.1.

Also, please take a look at the following screenshot (the first one), it's the same as yours, but the "Quick Menu" at the very bottom looks very different from what you posted:

1689521539101.png 1689521675761.png

So I wonder if you've changed something, or if you're playing a different version...

Both screenshots above are from playing in "Windowed" mode, but even if I use the Fullscreen option, the game itself as well as the URM UI seem to be how I'd expect them to be.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: 0x52

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Are you playing a special version of the game? Because I've just tested it (downloaded it from Gofile from the game link you've posted), and I don't have any issues using URM 1.15.1.

Also, please take a look at the following screenshot (the first one), it's the same as yours, but the "Quick Menu" at the very bottom looks very different from what you posted:

So I wonder if you've changed something, or if you're playing a different version...

Both screenshots above are from playing in "Windowed" mode, but even if I use the Fullscreen option, the game itself as well as the URM UI seem to be how I'd expect them to be.
i always change the quickmenu to be more ... renpy default ;)

some changes i made are name and text size , removed the blinking moon at the text
but nothing that could cause this :unsure: - as what i aware of
i have to use a unpacked version of urm , because my nearly unique issue with the windows username - but that couldnt be it or?

not that important - was just wondering :D

Last edited:
Reactions: theMickey_

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
i always change the quickmenu ...
some changes i made are name and text size...
removed the blinking moon at the text...
Ahem -- you most probably already know what I'm going to say, right? :ROFLMAO:

Always use the original, unmodified game with URM first (AKA "the way it's used to be used") to see if it's working at all. As I've posted above, the original game works with URM without any of those changes of yours, so...

I know that you know how to code python and are able to modify Ren'Py games pretty well, so you probably know what you're doing, but it seems like you've made an "Ooopsie" this time :)

• Haha

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Ahem -- you most probably already know what I'm going to say, right? :ROFLMAO:

Always use the original, unmodified game with URM first (AKA "the way it's used to be used") to see if it's working at all. As I've posted above, the original game works with URM without any of those changes of yours, so...

I know that you know how to code python and are able to modify Ren'Py games pretty well, so you probably know what you're doing, but it seems like you've made an "Ooopsie" this time :)
thats the point - i dont know where and how :ROFLMAO: if
i compared the original scripts with my edited ...
and replaced my edited with them original ones (and even deleted the persistent file)
nothing changed :ROFLMAO:

edit :
new clean install (dl from gofile)

Screenshot_1.png

Last edited:

tania

Jun 30, 2017
I've just tested the unofficial compressed version from here -- and it's working perfectly fine with URM v1.15.1 on my end.

Did you add anything else? Like a Walkthrough mod, the iPatch or something else? I'd recommend to (re)download the full version from the game's OP or the compressed version from the link above, extracting it to a new folder, adding URM, and you should have no issues -- have fun.

// EDIT: Looking at your message history, you've reported the exact same issue two months ago, and it turned out it was the iPatch causing those issues of yours. I hope you've learned your lesson and did not add that stupid patch again ;)
Dammit! fucking ipatch! two months ago i did add the patch but this time i just downloaded the same compressed link you posted, i didnt add nothing and got the error, the compressed already have the ipatch inside the game folder! Now i just deleted it and game runs without errors! strange you didnt get the error as you have tested with the same version i used.

Last edited:

Zalakijin

Aug 12, 2022
hey guys first time i use this mods, i try press Alt+M or Alt Gr+M but that don't work (and i have place the file in the folder name (game) is it becose it's other keyboard keys for my keyboard (settle in belgium azerty) or is it becose it's a 2 season game and i need put the mods file in both season folder game ?

(trying it for Lust Academy S2 currently to can boost some stat before i use the save for S3)

EDIT: my bad, need to lunch any save before can open the mod (don't work on game menu .....)

Last edited:
Reactions: theMickey_
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes