Tool Ren'Py UnRen.bat v1.0.11d - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
Tried to run latest version, instantly crashes :(
Game please? I admittedly just updated a bunch of up-front logic for games which ship only partial Python packages and maybe my regression testing was too brief.

Good night, could you please advise me when extracting rpa files with the batton unren version 1.09, unren 8.0.0, unren-ultrahack, etc., then pops up this error: Fatal Python error: inint_fs_encoding: failed to get the Python codec of the file system coding. Python runtime state: core initialized. ModuleNotFoundError: No module named "encodings" and then the error, can someone tell me how to fix it?
Checked on several batons and all exactly the same error pops up the error.
Hi, just catching up here, sorry: can you offer an example game to check, please?

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
Added a line to remove the rpa archives on extract cleanup.
Code:
for %%f in (*.rpa) do (
    del "%%f"
)
Thanks, that's an option we specifically did not include in UnRen because we've seen cases of regret when the .rpa was missing and it turned out to be needed/useful later. So, we're trying to help people avoid shooting themselves in the foot.

• Sad
Reactions: AlexaSky

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
Hmm, that's indeed very weird, like I said it doesn't even let me open it, a very fast flash of the window and it instantly crashes...tried with admin as well :(
Sorry that's happening, I'll DM you directly and see if we can figure this out, thanks.

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021
Thanks, that's an option we specifically did not include in UnRen because we've seen cases of regret when the .rpa was missing and it turned out to be needed/useful later. So, we're trying to help people avoid shooting themselves in the foot.
An option for people who understand risk would be nice. Stupid people and why we cannot have nice things...

Draxo

Sep 20, 2017
Hmm, that's indeed very weird, like I said it doesn't even let me open it, a very fast flash of the window and it instantly crashes...tried with admin as well :(
Yep this is the same for me as well...I tried opening it in a random folder not a game one and it opens fine, just displays the intended error message. This instant opening and crashing only happens in a game folder.

Reactions: Logber

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
Yep this is the same for me as well...I tried opening it in a random folder not a game one and it opens fine, just displays the intended error message. This instant opening and crashing only happens in a game folder.
I've narrowed down the issue with their run instantly crashing - if you could send the game referenced my way, I'd appreciate the chance to look at another case where this might be happening.

It's actually appearing in a relatively benign area of code, where we merely check for the Python installation, but I could use more data points to pin this odd situation down (because it's not happening in a widespread manner, even for the same game.)

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
...like I said it doesn't even let me open it, a very fast flash of the window and it instantly crashes...tried with admin as well :(
Firstly, you never need ADMIN rights for such common tasks. Just for changes on the host-system. Just saying...for correctness...
Secondly, please open a console(cmd.exe) and execute the "Unren" app there directly. (Do not just click on it. Type it out in the console!) This should give some error message or similar. Post this output then unchanged and complete here so people can take a look.

An option for people who understand risk would be nice. Stupid people and why we cannot have nice things...
You could make a big fat "warning! danger!" sign beside such a option, add a very understandable explaination what will happen if clicked, make it blink brightly, additional in neon-green color and with "red alarm" sound. People would still click on it and erase "unknowingly" some dumb stuff where they think they don't care about.

A bit later they complain then because all RPA files are gone... Surprisingly. :poop:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AlexaSky and Logber

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
Firstly, you never need ADMIN rights for such common tasks. Just for changes on the host-system. Just saying...for correctness...
Secondly, please open a console(cmd.exe) and execute the "Unren" app there directly. (Do not just click on it. Type it out in the console!) This should give some error message or similar. Post this ouput then unchanged and complete here so people can take a look.
Thanks, I happen to have a logging version of UnRen too - I've sent that to the two folks who reported these unusual situations and for the first report it does seem to have found the location where something breaks, but it's very odd and may be a unique environment difference that isn't yet obvious.

- fried

Reactions: Logber

JuninPk

Feb 25, 2020
do i have to wait for a new version of unren? because I'm not able to extract the rpa files anymore

1667520530819.png

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
seriously? I thought a new version of unren would be coming out
Please share the name of the game and I'll try to see what's happening, thanks.

Is it possible that you have any non-ASCII characters in the overall path to the game? Those two error messages seem to indicate it cannot find powershell and/or Python.

JuninPk

Feb 25, 2020
Please share the name of the game and I'll try to see what's happening, thanks.

Is it possible that you have any non-ASCII characters in the overall path to the game? Those two error messages seem to indicate it cannot find powershell and/or Python.
the games I tried were IntotheMilfyver, MadAdventure, I tried these two but they gave the same error

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
the games I tried were IntotheMilfyver, MadAdventure, I tried these two but they gave the same error
Thank you.

These are working on my system with v1.0.10, e.g.,
1667529972522.png

So again, my concern is that non-ASCII characters may be in the pathname - you could check your full path to the game folder against this character table, any characters which are NOT in this table are likely non-ASCII:

1667530135103.png

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes