Tool Ren'Py UnRen.bat v1.0.11d - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Basic comment: If you folks have a problem you need to give us infos like used game, unren version, what you did, exact error message. We have no crystal orb to know this otherwise.

I solved it by pasting the game folder in another game, and running unren there, it worked but no idea why....
This does just work if you use it with the same engine version or a compatible one. Basically similar to using the sdk.
I didn't understand how you did it, I'm having problems with unren for sunshine love 0.5, how did you solve it? I didn't understand to paste the game in another game.
User Meushi did already most of the important stuff mention. (y)
The gist of this workaround is, you have in every renpy game install package the same elements:
  • Your renpy folder called "game" with all the game data
  • all other files an dirs outside are the engine which "run's" the game
    • "renpy" with most of the renpy engine
    • "lib" with the python librarys and few more renpy librarys
    • some starter files to get the game going. -> {YourGameNameHere}.exe|.py|.sh
So, we can take just the game directory and put it in another (compatible) renpy engine version. Best way to do this is to use the renpy SDK to run all your games. Spares also some space because you have just one engine, instead of one for every game(~100MiB extra).

Reactions: yoyomistro

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
Basic comment: If you folks have a problem you need to give us infos like used game, unren version, what you did, exact error message. We have no crystal orb to know this otherwise.

This does just work if you use it with the same engine version or a compatible one. Basically similar to using the sdk.

User Meushi did already most of the important stuff mention. (y)
The gist of this workaround is, you have in every renpy game install package the same elements:
  • Your renpy folder called "game" with all the game data
  • all otherfiles an dirs outside are the engine which "run's" the game
    • "renpy" with most of the renpy engine
    • "lib" with the python librarys and few more renpy librarys
    • some starter files to get the game going. -> {YourGameNameHere}.exe|.py|.sh
So, we can take just the game directory and put it in another (compatible) renpy engine version. Best way to do this is to use the renpy SDK to run all your games. Spares also some space because you have just one engine, instead of one for every game(~100MiB extra).
Isn't it easier to just download UnRen, which circumvents this problem? :unsure:

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
The truth is yes, but I didn't know about that unren Xd
I was generally surprised that someone uses version 0.8, when there is a completely working 0.9 :unsure: At least for me, it worked with all games, except for some complex projects, like SummertimeSaga or EcchiSensei(In terms of decompiling files), but 0.8 almost immediately began to give out problems in many games.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
I was generally surprised that someone uses version 0.8, when there is a completely working 0.9 :unsure: At least for me, it worked with all games, except for some complex projects, like SummertimeSaga or EcchiSensei(In terms of decompiling files), but 0.8 almost immediately began to give out problems in many games.
I've been using Madeddy's 0.10 version for quite a while, he made it shortly after 0.9 to address issues with the few games that 0.9 had trouble with. I think SS is still a problem though lol, haven't tried it since last summer so I can't say for sure.

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
I've been using Madeddy's 0.10 version for quite a while, he made it shortly after 0.9 to address issues with the few games that 0.9 had trouble with. I think SS is still a problem though lol, haven't tried it since last summer so I can't say for sure.
I've already tried it. It feels like part of the code just decided not to decompile, as if there is an end-of-file construction or something like that somewhere. If interested, I attached the received files for an example.

Reactions: yoyomistro

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
I've already tried it. It feels like part of the code just decided not to decompile, as if there is an end-of-file construction or something like that somewhere. If interested, I attached the received files for an example.
Oh I don't mean for games that are on the newest version of Ren'Py, just over the course of last year.

May 5, 2019
I get an error that says:
"!Error: Cannot locate python.exe, unable to continue
Are you sure we're in the game's root directory?"
I've tried it in the [game] folder as well as the [game]/game folder
Anyone know where I'm supposed to be putting this?

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
a simple workaround is if unren is not working:
- find a ren'py game that is working with unren
- create a folder
- inside, create 2 folders, lib and game
- copy lib\pythonlib2.7 to lib\
- copy lib\windows-i686 to lib\
- copy any .rpa in game\
- copy unren.bat in game\
- extract

so, any .rpa can be copied to game\ and extracted this way.

Reactions: HasbroMB

TotalDago

Feb 18, 2018
For that's files unren don´t work i use decompiler.rpy ... Download the file , put in game folder and run the game .
1º time the game may crash ,is normal but you get script files in txt files.
2º time erase decompiler.rpy and game works usually

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
For that's files unren don´t work i use decompiler.rpy ... Download the file , put in game folder and run the game .
1º time the game may crash ,is normal but you get script files in txt files.
2º time erase decompiler.rpy and game works usually
Cool, it seems like it hasn't been worked on in a while though, and most games people are having issues with are games made with the new version of Ren'py, which this looks like it won't work with. Have you tried it on Summertime Saga? I might give it a shot but if you can answer ahead of time =P.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
There is no current release in the UnRen repository.

On the page.

Displayed.
I was talking about my own version. It is somewhere here in the comments of this thread.:D

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Obviously new users are going to use 0.8 because it's described as the stable release in the OP and has worked on most games until fairly recently (last year or so).

You should probably report your version and ask the mods to add it to the OP, given that 0.9 won't work on many games now either. That way users have some hope of actually finding it.

Reactions: Walter Victor

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
Obviously new users are going to use 0.8 because it's described as the stable release in the OP and has worked on most games until fairly recently (last year or so).

You should probably report your version and ask the mods to add it to the OP, given that 0.9 won't work on many games now either. That way users have some hope of actually finding it.
Well, the latter may be more difficult, since until recently I only led a consumer-whore life on this site. :BootyTime: So I'll have to learn how to do everything else first.:D

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Well, the latter may be more difficult, since until recently I only led a consumer-whore life on this site. :BootyTime: So I'll have to learn how to do everything else first.:D
Learn what? :WaitWhat:

I mean go to that post with your latest version, click on the report button, select other, fill in the description asking for your modded version which works with RenPy 7.4.x games to be added to the OP, as the current official releases often don't work anymore. That sends a report to the mods, who can edit the OP (or run it by Sam or something). Then anytime you need to alter your version, go back and edit the same post so the link from the OP always points to your current version. That's how user content gets added to the OP of all those game threads.

Otherwise most users will never find your version. Hopefully that will cut down on users posting in this thread about UnRen not working with new releases.

Reactions: Walter Victor
5.00 star(s) 9 Votes