HTML vnAdult - devlog - public build 2019.03.09

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
How do you organize all that? I am talking about that flow chart thing.

I can understand if it is like an organized mess, where you have an idea of where different things are, but does that program you are using not have a layer or group feature to help modulate the process? I see you have tried to move things into groups and keep them spaced out as a way of organizing.
When it branches off too many times it's impossible to keep it on the grid. I try to keep sections in a 1x zoom:

1550560256131.png
The above is right before I tighten it a bit.

I use firefox and right now twine is starting to slow down from the nodes. Twine does not have layers or possibility to color the arrows and that is a mess. I have looked at other projects and most people just keep it on a grid and it's impossible to see any arrows.

I modified Twine to allow for a more Unity like zoom and that helped. I also removed previewing the text for each part to speed things up.

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
(lunch-) daily motivator:

Worked on twine and removed part of the css to speed things up. Changed to colors to be more like Atom ide. Looks blurry on the spiderweb pic but a lot better in edit mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterfire

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
(mid) Daily motivator:

Worked on Twine. Still trying to change the arrow colors in a good way.

More story work later today.

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
Daily motivator:

More story and re-writes.

Daily spiderweb:

stats-checks: 70
conditionals: 120
labels: 163
choices: 218
links: 379
word-count-compiled: 3280
word-count-source: 4549
typed-characters: 31088

Last edited:

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
(pre-lunch) Daily motivator:

Fixing and doing a quick bughunt for a later release today. New release should double the game in size. From ~37k to ~73k.

But again: expect bugs and spelling errors.

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
(late) Motivator:

Have to admit defeat. No release for today. Have a little messy php that won't work.

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
(Rushed) Public build

Here is the new public build:

Really wanted to get it out before work this weekend so it is a bit rushed. Will do some hot-fixes if needed.

stats-checks: 74
conditionals: 128
labels: 175
choices: 233
links: 403
word-count-compiled: 3503
word-count-source: 4845
typed-characters: 33163

Blurry spiderweb:

Last edited:

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
I think it's interesting idea to make the game based on choices and good story, but I think adding a visual components would interest people much more than just text.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I think it's interesting idea to make the game based on choices and good story, but I think adding a visual components would interest people much more than just text.
I am not the most familiar with what @vnAdult is using, but I think it is twine, and I have seen many twine games use art, so I think it should be possible. I don't know if @vnAdult plans to use any though, or a don't remember, but I do know that for most small group indie games, it is the art that tends to be the death of projects. Art is a ton of work, that is why programs like Daz are so great, it greatly reduces the amount of time and effort needed to generate quality art. As far as I know, @vnAdult is just focusing on writing, which I think is the best thing to do. while I agree with how visuals can improve a game and its interest, I think for many text-based games it can be considered an extra later down the line.

Since I am more visually oriented, I do focus on art over anything else in my work... but I have been really trying to slim down and streamline my need for art or art production time since I have a short attention span and have yet to finish any serious projects. I am also trying to make a way of automated some art (or building a collection) to help with production time. I already have a collection of code to help with making the game quickly, art just by itself has so far been the death of just about every project I've aided in, group or private.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Patreon is now live.

Small and simple.

Will be uploading a patreon-build during the day.
I also noticed one thing that your goals on Patreon are not devoted to people. My experience in marketing tells me that people will rather do something if it brings some benefit to them.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I also noticed one thing that your goals on Patreon are not devoted to people. My experience in marketing tells me that people will rather do something if it brings some benefit to them.
Are you talking about something like listing out supporters in the credits?

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Are you talking about something like listing out supporters in the credits?
Listing out supporters is usually a reward for big monthly pledges. I mean something like promise faster update release, or better quality, or something that player would want. Because if dude looks at the goal and sees something like “it’s a good start”, he has no motivation to help you achieve this, no sense for him to want this goal to be fulfilled.

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
Real work is over so time to get back to fun work.

@Alex135 I would love to add graphics, but the game needs more content before spending time on art.

@Alex135 @Saki_Sliz I use Twine for the editing but I can add images at any time. I wrote a twine2php compiler so adding features is no problem.

I set up a patreon a couple days ago just to get it out there. Only posted it on f95zone (little pre-launch). I will try to come up with something better.

My current ideas for patreons are:
*Save the game.
*Latest release. (Right now I post daily-ish builds on the my forum for the future patreons)
*Custom npc's(ability to set age and apperance for the npc's)

Reactions: Max Craving

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
Update:

After @Alex135 comments I went to work on some patreon code and added a simple login system for future patreon users. Next step is looking at allowing powerusers to change npc's stats and attributes.

Reactions: Max Craving

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
(pre-dinner) Update:

Small results after tinkering. But the thread is all about keeping motivation and getting things done.

Code:
{
    "npcA": {
        "name": "Adam",
        "age": 30,
        "favoriteColor": "red",
        "looks": {
            "min": 3,
            "max": 5
        },
        "penissize": {
            "min": 3,
            "max": 5
        }
    }
}
This is what I decided to go for right now. The min/man value for looks is ugly/sexy and for penissize it's small/big. These values is something power-users can change themselves in the future. A size-queen might have bigger expectations then the painal-gentleman lover. Who knows.

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
Update:

Just a boring bughunt today and twine research. Still toying with the idea for a c++/sfml editor now that twine slows down.