What small little thing you personally hate in adult visual novel?

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Anything that's the same thing I've seen in another game (unless it's subverted or done amazingly better!)

If I've seen the characters elsewhere, played the scenario already, done that minigame before... I'm off. These games basically let us do whatever we want, so it seems pretty lazy to just remake the same old stuff.

Reactions: Carpe Stultus

Gunizz

Aug 9, 2017
Scene there was MC's girlfriend asking for an open relationship. People complained, as they would, but instead of sticking by their storytelling and having faith in their own creativity they are scrapping the whole story line once again showing that enough complaining will win the day.

Too many devs change things on knee jerk reactions and while that may appease those complaining it does the opposite for me. If a dev doesn't have the faith in their own storytelling to try and win people over with it, why should I have any faith in them?
I totally agree and I had the same thought in the last months. I want the dev to provide his story, an original one, surprise me with his creativity. Being too much influenced by the public gets all similar stories: incest is practically mandatory if you have a family, mothers means big boobs and easy sex, sisters are mentally retarded and unaware of sex at 18 yo, NTR is forbidden or totally avoidable even if MC acts as an asshole, so you can make the worst choices without any consequence. It practically flattens all stories, because you know that everything will happen according to your acts and will. Developers should have a clear vision of their project, their story and stick to it, changing only some details if needed. We are seeing too many games that are too similar, too predictable. Stories should try to be original and surprising, not a copy of a previous successful product.

dmmt

May 8, 2020
VNs where the story stops until you click the box in the middle of the screen, and there is only 1 box to "choose" from. WHY does any dev do this?????

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
Games that make you enter names for savegames and have an overwrite warning. I save a lot in games so this gets pretty annoying. I don't know if it's possible in Ren'py, but if you want these features you should make them optional at least.

Games that use a very obstructive UI so you constantly have to hit H to see the renders.

Games that use hidden point systems and variables, this is especially bad when paired with punishing requirements to unlock content, which basically means you have to play with a walkthrough.

Games that constantly use transition effects between renders.

Games that overuse the "pan up from her feet to her head" effect thing.