What would you want to see in an extremely dark fantasy RPG?

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
The ability to be a good person and help make the world a better place.

Being evil for evil's sake is boring.
The best villians believe they are doing the right thing.

So me mass brainwashing people into finding happiness in slavery makes a far more compelling story then:
Rape and torture until they are sex starved slut.

Seen it, Done it, Got bored with it.

Vore is just disgusting, rape is a tool to break people, hypnosis is an even beter tool for control, etc.

If you want to make a truly dark game:
Allow us to be good.
Trying to constantly temp us with it is for the greater good.
Something subtle like:
You could kill the slavers and free the slaves but without masters they will starve to death.
You can try to feed them but feeding a few hunderd people isnt cheap.
So you either end up having them work for food, bed and lodging, being a slave in all but name or watch them starve.
Or you simple let them to sold off.
That is the kind of dark gameplay/story that is interesting.

Causing suffering for suffering sake is just depressing.
And i dont play games to be depressed.

Last edited:

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
The ability to be a good person and help make the world a better place.

Being evil for evil's sake is boring.
The best villians believe they are doing the right thing.

So me mass brainwashing people into finding happiness in slavery makes a far more compelling story then:
Rape and torture until they are sex starved slut.

See it, Done it, Got bored with it.

Vore is just disgusting, rape is a tool to break people, hypnosis is an even beter tool for control, etc.

If you want to make a truly dark game:
Allow us to be good.
Trying to constantly temp us with it is for the greater good.
Something subtle like:
You could kill the slavers and free the slaves but without masters they will starve to death.
You can try to feed them but feeding a few hunderd people isnt cheap.
So you either end up having them work for food, bed and lodging, being a slave in all but name or watch them starve.
Or you simple let them to sold off.
That is the kind of dark gameplay/story that is interesting.

Causing suffering for suffering sake is just depressing.
And i dont play games to be depressed.
An option to be good is fine but I think a lot of people enjoy exploring their dark side in a medium where there are no consequences. Why do you think shows like Dexter or Breaking Bad are so popular? I love those shows but have zero interest in becoming a serial killer or a meth dealer in real life. Similarly a game where I can BE Dexter or Walter White has an appeal where I can act out what my "dark passenger" is telling me to do when something bad happens. I can actually BE the badass vigilante or the drug kingpin for a little while without any consequences.

Breaking Bad had several good scenes where you get to see how Walter White's perspective changed from a guy who knows what he's doing is wrong and is just doing it for his family to a guy who already has everything he needs and is doing it because he likes it. He gets off on the power. He used to be Walter White pretending to be Heisenburg out of necessity, but at some point he really becomes Heisenburg. He's not pretending anymore.

I think a game like this would be better off focusing on MC being the bad guy personally. That doesn't mean he has to be pure evil, but something more like a Dexter or a Walter White where every option is some degree of bad, there's no good option. So I agree that having some moral dilemas in there would be a good thing even if you don't have any overall good path through the entire storyline.

For instance Dexter makes some moral choices about only killing people who deserve it, and never kids but he's still killing people. Walter white makes some moral choices that are good as well for instance saving Jesse's life on multiple occasions, forgiving his wife for cheating on him, etc. But at the end of the day he's still all in on being a pretty ruthless meth dealer.

Dahakma

Nov 15, 2019
It would be nice to see that the whole society is fucked up, full of institutional injustice. Strong can exploit weak without any reprisals and week exploit the even weaker without any compassion. Poor/women/minorities are dehumanised and nobody cares just because this is the way the system is.

MC then has to be especially ruthless if she wants to survive or thrive. Maybe it would be possible to not make choices between good and evil but between two unpleasant things, like to hurt herself or to hurt her companions, sacrifice her reputation or integrity, humiliate herself for material gain etc.

An especially dark strategy is yanking the chain, i.e. giving MC hope everything will be finally great and then quickly take it away.

Also I'm rather fond of dark cults, sacrifices, sexual rituals, demon worship and body modification like piercing and tattoos.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I actually beat Fear and Hunger. That game was fucking hard.
Damn hard, especially on first playing when you know nothing about limb removal. Then you are down an arm for the rest of the game. Shit was intense. Hope their next game is just as interesting.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I can't imagine actually getting all the endings.
I doubt most people will figure them all out without a guide.
Also all the secrets in that game, and the weird outcomes that can happen. Most people play it like a normal RPG, instead of exploring the darker side on what if I do this with someone, or trade them off or etc.

May 20, 2017
I think fear and hunger is the gold standard. Hope there were more sex scenes. The only way I can imagine how the game would work without a combat system might be to make it a horror game, for example if MC is some ordinary villager in a Fear and Hunger dungeon setting, then it makes sense that the only thing she can do is to run away from enemies. Not sure about making the MC evil though. It seems odd to make someone a victim to humiliation etc. but at the same time also a villain.

Jan 10, 2020
If you want something to measure your dark rpg up with try Fear & Hunger, it is like Darksouls/bloodborne on RPGM if you kept pushing further.
this game looks absolutely amazing...too bad u gotta pay for it, otherwise it'd be the next game i start

That's some messed up shit right there xD tried it long ago & gave up cause i felt like losing my mind xD
that's very intriguing...so what was so messed up about it?

I doubt most people will figure them all out without a guide.
Also all the secrets in that game, and the weird outcomes that can happen. Most people play it like a normal RPG, instead of exploring the darker side on what if I do this with someone, or trade them off or etc.
guide...guide u say? meesa neeeeda dis guide :ROFLMAO:

SpoiledPrince

Apr 23, 2019
Coherence before anything else. All must make sense and be there for a reason, not just for the sake of satisfying some fetish. It should make the story move forward.
That said...

*Do not make a Mary Sue\Gary Stu. The character is not you and they never will be. Don't shape them into your ideal partners image either. Let them have their own distinct personality and let the players see that too. Too customizable or MC's with a flat personality for players to project onto come off as bland.

*Vulnerability on MC's part. I strongly dislike allmighty protagonists that are never frustrated or defeated, just because some players want their little power-trip. Make him or her relatable, conflicted, flawed... I insist: Gary Stus like Kvothe from Kingkiller Chronicle are simply boring. Give yours a real motivation to be the most despicable mf ever. "For the EVULZ" is not good enough. Have they ever felt impotent against something\someone? Humilliated by\in the shadow of a brighter sibling or an acquaitance?Are they aiming too high for their real capacities...?

*Body horror. You can't go wrong with it. The more gorey, the better. Make injuries either permanent or remaining at least for a while. Transform their limbs to serve a purpose, or art; make the characters witness with awe and fear how they are losing their humanity or getting rotten before dying from their infected wounds or terrible, unknown diseases.

*Make hunger\insomnia\thirst have effects on the characters, growing with each passing day, until they start contemplating taboo alternatives... Then make it an acquired taste.

*Subvert the expectations of the genre: the damsel in distress can be a vicious killer that was going to get her comeuppance until you unknowingly rescued her, you faithful companions are waiting for you to finish the quest to assassinate you and get all the credit for it themselves, you kill a bunch of innocents under the pretense that you were doing God's work...

*If you include rape, be brave and don't make it any pleasant for the one on the receiving end. Don't turn them into "addicted to rape". That's absurd. Rape is not pretty or enjoyable for the ones subjected to it: it breaks minds and generate traumas for a reason. Make it filthy, crude, harmful and causing injuries. If they endure it repeatedly, they'll will get used to it, maybe prefer it to death or worse fates and stop defending themselves, but never ever like it.

*Humilliation is not about getting naked and raped in town's square before your loved ones (that's overdone and an absolutely bore) but more of a custom thing, different for every character. Find their boundaries and break them according to that. That will make it all the more fulfilling.

*Bad ends that are actually BAD: not just sex, but something so twisted that would make players think their choices twice.

*Include the darkest fetish on this web: HARD NTR. The people in "your" harem will make out among themselves and exclude you, or lust after somebody else as you go conquer more harem members. Make them jealous, naggy and violent towards each other, so murder-happy that the carnage will go on until just one guy/girl is standing ... Force MC to choose between multiple lovers, making the rest unavailable for sex or love for the rest of the game, and then have than LI fall hard for a different person. Create a Dom\Domme that demands MC's exclusive affections and attention, while they do whoever they like... or even better: the other MC's LIs. Throw an eunuch that isn't such in as the guardian and protector of the chicks, and then make MC return to find them all pregnant and congratulate himself on his own virility, none the wiser. Turn the bastard offspring into the apple of his eye and his heir...

*Gay content, please. Tons of it, with a variety of humanlike body types and personalities if possible. (Although this I would ask for any kind of game, lol)

Last edited:

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
I feel the bleakest story is one where the heroes/good guys basically give up, or bend their own rules so much that they essentially become no better than the villains. Something like the Elanor, Rin or harem routes in Tyrant Quest. I go into games like that with a mindset of "the asshole wins" and get a masochistic NTR-like feeling even when there isn't direct cuckolding. It's better if there is no rape and not much violence in general - evil wins simply because it's stronger and no one can resist it.

Reactions: ivannrajanaga

Goblin Slayer

Aug 4, 2017
Goblin rape followed by goblin pregnancy come to mind.

What say you Goblin Slayer
I Agree my friend, Goblin rape is important to show in any game so adventurers can see how dangerous goblins are and pregnancy is also a must so they can see the risks of being raped by a goblin.

And since the OP of this thread said, I will also vote to add beastiality wolf x girl = love ;)

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
I feel the bleakest story is one where the heroes/good guys basically give up, or bend their own rules so much that they essentially become no better than the villains. Something like the Elanor, Rin or harem routes in Tyrant Quest. I go into games like that with a mindset of "the asshole wins" and get a masochistic NTR-like feeling even when there isn't direct cuckolding. It's better if there is no rape and not much violence in general - evil wins simply because it's stronger and no one can resist it.
This is indeed very dark.

I Agree my friend, Goblin rape is important to show in any game so adventurers can see how dangerous goblins are and pregnancy is also a must so they can see the risks of being raped by a goblin.

And since the OP of this thread said, I will also vote to add beastiality wolf x girl = love ;)
So true, these games can serve as a reminder of why we need goblin slayers and for young maidens to stay far, far away from goblin burrows.

Scenes where the girl's face is partially obscured have such a nice horror vibe to them. Those gifs remind me of the video Succubus Summoned:

• Red Heart
Reactions: Goblin Slayer

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
-All manners of non consensual sex
-Witty dialogs
-Male dominance over females and males
-Pregnancy
-Humiliation
-A real bastard MC

In short: everything my game Vae Victis - Khan will have... First chapter release: March 2021.

• Love
Reactions: extreme_sadist

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
Hmmm, quite a few things actually...

• the ability to play as members of 'evil' races (orcs, goblins, monsters)
  • kingdom management, including things like torture chambers and breeding pits and dungeons
  • cunning evil protagonists (think Tywin Lannister, or Jon Irenicus) who are intelligent and 'evil' for a reason
  • morally grey characters and questgivers and missions... Witcher 3 did a fine job of this, and should be emulated
  • the ability to mind-break captured enemies, especially lawful-good types like paladins and clerics and priests
  • unique corruption mechanics that change the land depending which types of it you research and make use of
  • Iron Man mode where your save is deleted if you die... also survival elements like hunger, thirst, stamina, libido
  • 'evil' reflections of good archetypes (anti-paladins, rot druids, shadow priests, warlocks, witches, pyromancers)
  • a 'far out' unique setting like Sigil which has its own history, magic rules, and interesting factions

Reactions: Doorknob22