osmcuser132

Modder
Aug 8, 2017
@CheekyGimp
All of this being said there's one standout problem that made this game kinda hard to sit through at times, the sheer amount that Katie throws the word slave at you. It made me incredibly uncomfortable whenever the word was used and I found myself thinking "Pick another word dammit". I can also imagine that any black people playing it might have problems (not speaking for anyone and not assuming or trying claim that I know anything about the black experience, I'm severely white) with the word slave being leveled at them over and over again.
In its current form in the game, this is a light form of femdom AKA Female Domination. She refers to herself as Goddess and the MC is her submissive or slave. This has nothing to do with colonial slavery or racism.

FYI from wikipedia: A femdom or female dominant refers to BDSM relationships where the dominant partner is female.[1] An increasing number of men find playing a submissive role with a femdom appealing.[2] A femdom may have other names including: "dominatrix", "mistress" or "madame".[3] The term may depend on her personal preference.

SapphireBlaze

May 24, 2017
I'm fine with the femdom. I just find the word slave to be very uncomfortable and a would rather there be a choice for it to be literally anything else like servant, vassal, baby bitch, whatever.

SapphireBlaze

May 24, 2017
I'm well aware that's a brother sistery sort of thing and it's the dynamic but again you could use any other synonym of the word and I'd be fine. Just not that one. Frankly whenever I've seen this kind of back and forth interplay between sibling type characters in various media they've used the word servant pretty consistently in my experience so having the same dynamic but with the character literally referring to you as a slave is jarring and as a word just has much harsher connotations. I just think any of the many similar words would do just as well for the purpose and that the word slave doesn't really work as a casual insult because it has too much shit behind it so it's kind of a stretch to see it being used as jokey banter like this.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
I'm well aware that's a brother sistery sort of thing and it's the dynamic but again you could use any other synonym of the word and I'd be fine. Just not that one. Frankly whenever I've seen this kind of back and forth interplay between sibling type characters in various media they've used the word servant pretty consistently in my experience so having the same dynamic but with the character literally referring to you as a slave is jarring and as a word just has much harsher connotations. I just think any of the many similar words would do just as well for the purpose and that the word slave doesn't really work as a casual insult because it has too much shit behind it so it's kind of a stretch to see it being used as jokey banter like this.
This is getting way off topic, if you need or have more to post about this take it to the please.

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
Well, it's just your opinion and I don't agree, for me it does not have such a terrible meaning in the context in which it is expressed. For you that word is excessive, for others there may be other words, like fat, shorty or retarded (and there are others much more offensive to me) but always is about the context, like I said. Following this criterion, nothing could be written in a joking tone, there will always be someone offended.

SapphireBlaze

May 24, 2017
I think you are the first person in this thread to take such oversensitive stance on this. Maybe its you who has issues, not the game.
And ad hominem argument, I've stated multiple times that this makes me feel uncomfortable yes that's partially on me but you don't gotta make allusions to me possibly having personal problem so passive aggressively. I think I've made it clear that I have this whole time only been asking for consideration, I don't feel entitled anything and was just expressing my opinion about something that could be improved in game in from my perspective for the creator to regard or disregard as they please.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
One thing makes one person uncomfortable, the other thing makes someone else uncomfortable. There's stuff in this game that makes me cringe, but I have never asked to change anything about it just because I and probably a bunch of other people may have a problem with it. Because there are always people who do like it for one reason or another.
Just get over it or find yourself a game that doesn't make you uncomfortable. Please.

One thing here that I have no problems with is the banter between Kate and MC, including being called a slave. Please don't bring in the "what about the black people" or "what about the children" or anything else as ridiculous.
Having about 7 centuries of slavory and foreign oppression in the history of my ancestors should make me at least as sensitive about being called a slave as the "African American" people might be. Black people aren't the only ones who have been enslaved in the past.
I just don't have any problems with it here in this context and neither should they. Anyone with enough intelligence to understand the context where the word is being used here should have zero problems with it.

BTW, I'm not a femdom fan, either. But this is just so mild and innocent here that it really can't be called that. It's just a banter between friends.
I've been called by my friends and I have called my friends far worse. As a joke between friends, of course.

D

Deleted member 742088

I'm getting an error right as Jenna is introduced.

Traceback:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 634, in script
    E xJ "Yes?"
Exception: Say has image attributes (u'xJ',), but there's no image tag associated with the speaking character.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    E xJ "Yes?"
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\NOPLS\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-KC-pc\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 652, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\NOPLS\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-KC-pc\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1180, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\NOPLS\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-KC-pc\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-pc\renpy\character.py", line 949, in __call__
    self.resolve_say_attributes(False, wanted=speaking)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\NOPLS\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-KC-pc\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-pc\renpy\character.py", line 845, in resolve_say_attributes
    raise Exception("Say has image attributes %r, but there's no image tag associated with the speaking character." % (attrs,))
Exception: Say has image attributes (u'xJ',), but there's no image tag associated with the speaking character.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.3.3347
Where The Heart Is Ep6
Fri Aug 10 18:12:27 2018
Saw somebody else earlier mention two game folders, but I don't think the issue is the same.

trumpthatbitch

Jun 23, 2017
And ad hominem argument, I've stated multiple times that this makes me feel uncomfortable yes that's partially on me but you don't gotta make allusions to me possibly having personal problem so passive aggressively. I think I've made it clear that I have this whole time only been asking for consideration, I don't feel entitled anything and was just expressing my opinion about something that could be improved in game in from my perspective for the creator to regard or disregard as they please.
Maybe you SJW types can create your own game where you can jack off watching trees get planted and leave the rest of us degenerates in peace

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
Anyone is free to give criticism and opinion about the game.

However, I feel the thing that rubbed people the wrong way here is that you haven't been able to explain why the word "slave" bothers you as much at all. Instead, you tried to use the black people (despite you being white) as a justification of why the word "slave" should not be used. This is not okay IMO.

Nekura

Dec 5, 2017
posted

Hey Folks,

Just landed back home today, so no more vacation excuses from me. Good vacation and now dreading the thoughts of going back to work on Monday!

As per previous post, Episode 6(Partial release) is now available for everyone. Going to get a few hours sleep and will then get working on the completed version of Episode 6. Should get a lot of it done between tonight and tomorrow. I won't commit to an exact time for completion yet as I'm jet-lagged and I need to get back into Dev mode. I will send an update tomorrow night as to the status. Because of the rush job of the partial release, there's lots of errors I need to tidy up in addition to the three new scenes (1x Jenna and 2 x Monica) to close out the day, but the final version of episode 6 shouldn't take long (a few days). I'll release it for $10 patrons first, followed by $5 and then everyone. And then I'll get straight to work on episode 7 this week.

got the Email about 10 minutes ago.
woohoo, he's back on the job. Hope the Vacation was relaxing and you had a good time.

CheekyGimp

Donor
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I'm getting an error right as Jenna is introduced.

Traceback:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    E xJ "Yes?"

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    E xJ "Yes?"
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\NOPLS\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-KC-pc\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 652, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\NOPLS\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-KC-pc\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1180, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\NOPLS\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-KC-pc\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-pc\renpy\character.py", line 949, in __call__
    self.resolve_say_attributes(False, wanted=speaking)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\NOPLS\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-KC-pc\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep6-pc\renpy\character.py", line 845, in resolve_say_attributes
    raise Exception("Say has image attributes %r, but there's no image tag associated with the speaking character." % (attrs,))

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.3.3347
Where The Heart Is Ep6
Fri Aug 10 18:12:27 2018
Saw somebody else earlier mention two game folders, but I don't think the issue is the same.
Thanks. Was also flagged earlier. I've fixed it and the fix will be in the next release.

4.40 star(s) 321 Votes