Why are there less quality RPGM games when compared to VN's ?

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
RPGM is easy to get into. RenPy isn't too hard either, but RPGM has a bunch of inbuilt functionality that anyone can pick up and use right out of the box, so to speak. Which explains the deluge of low quality projects. The engine gets a bad rep, because most people aren't familiar with how powerful it is, and how much freedom it gives the developer(s).

The only thing RPGM is really missing is less hardcoding in the stats and formulae department, because that takes a bit of javascripting to get to. But there are so many plugins out there (as already mentioned) that game quality comes down to developer effort (or lack thereof) and asset quality (art, music, writing, etc.).

Jaam

Nov 28, 2017
Damn, I completely forgot about this thread lol. I will say that after reading the comments I think I'm starting to grasp why creating a quality rpg game is rather difficult.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
yeah its up to the developer to utilize the tools, i like my version of free roam more though, i want players to be able to walk down an alley and discover a whore house, or have quests that involve puzzles beyond simple fetch quests ect.

View attachment 907278
Better learn unity than trying to hack rpgm for this to end up with the unplayable game.
I can see how frames are dropping and you're constrained to tiny maps only because the engine can't handle bigger than 100x100 maps with all the scripts running underneath.

And I really advise against using the tpd bind picture to map plugin. It's a broken mess with a memory leak issue.
With it, your game will crash.
Galv parallax map plugin is best. Though it's features are limited, but uses x2 less memory and it's stable.
Also worth mention, do not use larger than 4000x4000 pixel pic. Some pc will fail load such big pictures.
I'd say it would be worth checking tiled and maybe yanfly doodads (for best performance). +add "jitter" fix found in rpgm mv forums to fix weird events/characters/doodads movement while walking around.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020
If you are making a game like that, why do a NSFW version at all? The standards of gameplay/quality are MUCH higher for SFW games so if it is already high enough quality without NSFW content that it can survive in the normal gaming market and it has nothing to do with NSFW content or themes then just stick with SFW stuff.
I feel like this is kind of like asking "if you are making a story like that, why do a game version at all? The standards of plot/character development are MUCH higher for a novel so if it is already high enough quality without game content that it can survive in the normal book market and it has nothing to do with game content or themes then just stick with book stuff."

XoXeXa

Dec 24, 2017
to be honest there are actually really really good RPGM out there.
just wait a little more. There will be good jump in terms of quality of rpgm.