why do people use Illusion games when Sims 4 does everything better?

AnOldMan

May 30, 2017
sounds to me like you just don't want to do the work, and want everything given to you with just the click of a button. they made "wabbajack" for Skyrim just for people like you XD
I'd rather say I got disillusioned by the modding process.
Spending couple of full days or even weeks to research and download mods, then finding out the game just softlocks at some point (in case of skyrim), or that ui is really clunky and base game loves to waste your time way too much (sims 4) hurts. And while problems above are fixable, more time investment would have been needed.
The painlessness of a good repack of an illusion game gives perspective. I did spend 3 full days before starting a game, but I've spent it on character creation, making them just the way I want. It is refreshing.

AnOldMan

May 30, 2017
let's face it, the vast majority of games built in Daz don't look any where near the quality in Drunktard69's examples above. I'd actually say it's a bit of a false equivalence to give examples of peak quality in Daz to refute the worthiness of Sims as a H game, since the average we see from Daz games is nowhere near that quality. You don't have to be the best - just good enough.
from my understanding, the examples are from Honey Select, not Daz. But I might not understand what Daz is even supposed to mean.

puffyshirt

Game Developer
Jan 22, 2021
from my understanding, the examples are from Honey Select, not Daz. But I might not understand what Daz is even supposed to mean.
(Honey Select 1 and 2 are japanese games and character creators with typical japanese looking characters. Daz Studio is a western 3D software.)

Hard to tell about the bloody eyed bj, but yes the others look like HS.

blackmasha

Jun 21, 2018
I'd rather say I got disillusioned by the modding process.
Spending couple of full days or even weeks to research and download mods, then finding out the game just softlocks at some point (in case of skyrim), or that ui is really clunky and base game loves to waste your time way too much (sims 4) hurts. And while problems above are fixable, more time investment would have been needed.
The painlessness of a good repack of an illusion game gives perspective. I did spend 3 full days before starting a game, but I've spent it on character creation, making them just the way I want. It is refreshing.
I have over 1000 mods on Skyrim, if your game breaks down then you didn't care to either learn how to do it correctly, or follow a guide step by step.

what you're saying is that you are lazy, that's all I'm hearing, and that's cool. I was too lazy to deal with honey select when I learned I'm gonna have to create new animations/positions myself. then I discovered Sims 4 and the world opened up even more so than before. in your case Sims 4 is probably perfect, far easier to mod than most games by far. and even if you did manage to break something, just send the error file to someone and they will point out the problem.

AnOldMan

May 30, 2017
what you're saying is that you are lazy
You've made a strawman. If I don't want to do something, does me not doing it mean that I'm lazy? only if I also need to do it. And let me tell you this: I still don't need to play skyrimSE 1 year after I decided to put off troubleshooting what was probably a memory leak.
your assumption of why my game broke is wrong, and if it matters to you I can explain it in detail.
And for future reference: using bad faith arguments gives you nothing.

And now, for some chill.
As I said, Sims 4 at its core isn't a game I enjoy (like skipping time at fastest speed is both too slow to call that skipping and too fast to react in time when an event happens). The way user interface works for the mods in question is pretty clunky, not fun. Therefore at the time I decided to stop bothering. If you know how to unclunk the interface and make playing the base game more enjoyable then do tell...
And honestly, I don't understand your "30 poses is too little". But it's good to know that apparently I can create (or more likely download) more animations.

blackmasha

Jun 21, 2018
You've made a strawman. If I don't want to do something, does me not doing it mean that I'm lazy? only if I also need to do it. And let me tell you this: I still don't need to play skyrimSE 1 year after I decided to put off troubleshooting what was probably a memory leak.
your assumption of why my game broke is wrong, and if it matters to you I can explain it in detail.
And for future reference: using bad faith arguments gives you nothing.

And now, for some chill.
As I said, Sims 4 at its core isn't a game I enjoy (like skipping time at fastest speed is both too slow to call that skipping and too fast to react in time when an event happens). The way user interface works for the mods in question is pretty clunky, not fun. Therefore at the time I decided to stop bothering. If you know how to unclunk the interface and make playing the base game more enjoyable then do tell...
And honestly, I don't understand your "30 poses is too little". But it's good to know that apparently I can create (or more likely download) more animations.
ofc I assume you don't bother reading when you encounter problems like "game is breaking down" or "no time/too hard"

there is no easier game to mod than sims 4 as far as I know, and I've modded all of them.
Skyrim requires reading and either following a guide or understand how each mod works just by reading what the author wrote about it so you figure out what is compatible and what is not.

there is no strawman or whatever your people use in your own language to argue false logic.

you can make changes to sims 4 via ui cheats/extendors or use mods that do that that by adding more ui options for you to play around with (everything that is game related) there is also a mod manager if I recall, I simply throw everything into the mods folder or tray folder because the game doesn't break incase you decide to change something, you will require a new game tho (can't use older saves, you can, but might get errors)

Honeycrust

Aug 22, 2018
Honey Select has its purpose, the character creator is powerful but clunky compared to sims 4 which I can create a character I like so much easier.... and more unique since its so simple to edit a skin or mod myself. Sims 4 you can also make a house, have your sim do things, also have them be a slut, kinda does all you want.

Illusion games you don't have much gameplay, just sex. It can be fun though... like setting up different scenes in the studio is interesting, but then again this is time consuming since you can instantly have some sex scene going on in sims 4 with no setup time at all.

Just simply put, I get bored fast in Illusion games like Honey Select, just gets boring fast with the limited gameplay. I can play sims 4 a lot, just building houses and creating new sims is fun, the whicked whims stuff is just a great bonus.

AdventAnyx

Game Developer
Feb 2, 2020
Plugins and graphical mods.
Very cool. Can I get some names for this exact blowjob thing? And if possible a tutorial on how to do stuff, like that lip movement and collisions.
The mod scene for HS is so huge but a big part of it is in Japanese, so it's fucking hard to find relevant info and guides.
I have 130 Gb of mods and plugins and can do some neat things, just looking to learn more.

Reactions: AnOldMan

AnOldMan

May 30, 2017
ofc I assume you don't bother reading when you encounter problems like "game is breaking down" or "no time/too hard"
Forgot no desire.
Fair assumption, worded poorly. Return jab for disrespecting the game you passionately like? Eh, whatevs. I do agree that majority of popular mods for skyrim and se have faqs, guides and compatibility patches; keywords: most and popular.
Also, if you want to know, what a strawman argument is, google has answers - I am pretty shitty at explaining.
Thanks for answering my question, though it was incomplete imho (links and mod names, dude). Wish you were less rude, but I guess, I'm not the most pleasant person to hold conversation with either. Also thanks for the warning in case I might miss it in respective mods description.

PS:why the fuck were we even talking about skyirm though, it's completely off topic to this thread.

Can I get some names for this exact blowjob thing?
this thread does indeed need more links.

Drunktard69

Jan 12, 2021
Very cool. Can I get some names for this exact blowjob thing? And if possible a tutorial on how to do stuff, like that lip movement and collisions.
The mod scene for HS is so huge but a big part of it is in Japanese, so it's fucking hard to find relevant info and guides.
I have 130 Gb of mods and plugins and can do some neat things, just looking to learn more.
Timeline or VNG. Two popular and well know mods to create animations.
12454545787.gif

View attachment Cat.mp4

Last edited:
Reactions: Rando Civ

AdventAnyx

Game Developer
Feb 2, 2020
Timeline or VNG. Two popular and well know mods to create animations.
Hmmm. Timeline - I do use it sometimes. I'm more interested in how they managed to do the "mouth follows the dick" and "dick follows the mouth" thing and the texture change of the dick (skin motion). Is there another mod for this? Or is it some "default-dick" behavior? Might need to look into it.
Mind sharing the place you're lurking for this kinda stuff? Another forum? I want to get better at animating stuff in HS, find more features in the plugins I'm using (because I use like 5% of what's there), some tutorials, besides those older ones by Lavalamp22.

Drunktard69

Jan 12, 2021
Hmmm. Timeline - I do use it sometimes. I'm more interested in how they managed to do the "mouth follows the dick" and "dick follows the mouth" thing and the texture change of the dick (skin motion). Is there another mod for this? Or is it some "default-dick" behavior? Might need to look into it.
Mind sharing the place you're lurking for this kinda stuff? Another forum? I want to get better at animating stuff in HS, find more features in the plugins I'm using (because I use like 5% of what's there), some tutorials, besides those older ones by Lavalamp22.
You adjust blend shapes and bones for each keyframe.

Apr 18, 2021
How content is made is pretty irrelevant. Some of the most successful adult game makers just download a stock environment with stock characters, make a scene and are bringing in $10k+ a month. All a scene needs to do is trick your mind into being happy and aroused. People do it with plain text.
The real challenge is actually making the game, planning it out, writing everything, programming the scripts, polishing and putting it all together, then finally releasing it on a platform... all of that takes so much time and effort in itself.
Honestly it doesn't matter if you're using stick figures as your assets because most developers will never get past these other stages.

My 2 cents is: barrier of entry is too damn high. Had the same experience as with skyrim: troubleshooting for 3 days straight is not fun, so I ditched it all.
Illusion games have definitive modpacks that are being updated. So in terms of usability, yeah, I do have a preference.
Skyrim modding is about on par with loading/creating content for DazStudio as far as difficulty. The difference being that Skyrim actually has a game engine but unfortunately you can't use any of it for your own adult game without getting sued to hell and back. Can assure you though its not that difficult to use mods to turn Skyrim into an all out animated sex sim adventure.

Last edited:

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
Sims 4 characters look terrible, absolutely terrible.

Hopefully the next sims game will have people that look realistically human, not that absurd cartoony look.

D

Deleted member 3352948

Sims 4 is an extremely underrated game in general, there are very few things you can't do in it and I don't think enough people realize the unlimited potential it has, especially when it comes to modding and adult content. It's my favorite game of all time even with all the controversy surrounding the series these days. Illusion is great too and has multiple series of games for varying tastes, but is geared more towards fans of Japanese culture and franchises. To me, it's like this: If you like European/Western stuff, go with the Sims. If you like Asian/Eastern stuff, go with Illusion games. Personally, I prefer the Sims, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 19, 2019
Honey Select and it's like I see more as tools, like DAZ studio is. There's not much of an actual game there, but there's a lot of power in the character creator and Studio NEO. I like to use it as my own personal art model for making references. I do wish there was more flexibility in the ability to make male characters, however.

The one Illusion game which was almost a game, to me, is AI Shoujo/AI Girl. Sort of a sandbox survival building thing. Problem is the game portion falls flat. It's like they were forced to suddenly stop development before it even got out of the concept phase. Once the extremely short and unsatisfying gameplay arc abruptly ends, you're left with what amounts to a typical Illusion game in which you take various characters, select sex animations for them to play, then adjust the speed at which the animations run. Rinse, repeat.

I see what you're trying to say with modded Sims 4. It's much more of a game than anything Illusion has ever produced and the sheer amount of variety in the kinks, clothing, animations, etc available can be overwhelming. The character models are a bit potatoey compared to Illusion games, but that works well enough since The Sims is actually a game. Also male characters have much more attention paid to them, and feel like less of an afterthought.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the Sims 4 as a game, or as a sex sim, and the latter suffers due to the shortcomings of the former. The Sims 4 is a very simplistic life sim game. This would be okay if The Sims 3 was never a thing, but in comparison The Sims 3 is everything the Sims 4 only wishes it could be. The Sims 3 provides actual goals to work for, and character progression is much better. The world feels much more alive, and the possibilities feel endless. The sex mod, therefore, takes full advantage and integrates itself into the gameplay very well.

The Sims 3 is uglier than The Sims 4. (Not as ugly as some make it out to be, in comparison, but it did come out in 2009.) It's also not very well optimized, being a 32 bit executable it's limited to only about 4GB of your RAM. A fully modded game with all the expansions is an unwieldy beast, and can crash often and run sluggishly on even modern hardware, which it just isn't designed to take full advantage of. 2009 was just a different time where computers were concerned.

I don't expect EA to turn The Sims around in a better direction going forward, and I don't have high hopes for The Sims 5.

There is , which looks promising but I'm keeping my expectations measured. I don't think they've said how moddable they expect it to be. Time will tell if it's any good, and even then someone would need to step up and make a sex mod for it.

My hype lies squarely on . All indicators point to a life sim to compete with The Sims. Paradox already embarrassed EA by mopping the floor with city sim mainstay Simcity by releasing , which is exactly what the last Simcity game should have been, but wasn't. Also Rod Humble has stated he expects to support modding from the very beginning. If it's a life sim, it's a good one, and it supports modding, a sex mod is basically a sure thing. takes place later this month from the 21st to the 23rd. They're expected to announce a new game. Old fans of Paradox grand strategy games all seem to want it to be Victoria III, but my hope is they're bitterly disappointed and the new life sim from Paradox Tectonic is unveiled instead.